Ryan Edwards

14 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

How many central midfielders do we have, genuine question and do you see that position as a priority? 

We have 3 players who can play central midfield who Stubbs rates: McGinn, Willock & Magennis.

On the basis that Magennis has played wide in most of the first team games in his career and that we've played with 3 central midfielders in some games, I'd say that we definitely needed another central midfielder.

It would also allow Alfie Jones to fill in in central defence.

Edited by Wendy Saintss

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

How many central midfielders do we have, genuine question and do you see that position as a priority? 

I'd say that neither Erhahon or McPherson are quite ready yet and McShane has been told he won't feature and can leave...… that would leave McGinn, Magennis, Willock and now Edwards. If we were to go 3-5-2 that'd leave one on the bench. That said the other three are still in our squad at the moment which makes it quite midfield heavy!!

16 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It would appear Alfie Jones is goung to be played as a centre back, and  McShane isnt going to play at all. And perhaps today one of Smith, Flynn or A.N. other is heading out so, yes we need cover there too if that happens.

the likelihood of picking up a prolific goalscorer on loan, or released is a bit like you average chances of finding rocking horse shit! The club have regused to give Stubbzo money to buy players thus far (the Heaton deal was balanced against the Ross Stewart deal). So where exactly, or who exactly can we attract, that wont be swayed with more money elsewhere?

Good luck to Ryan. Hopefully his experience will improve the midfield. Uninspiring signing but if it ends up being an improvement on what we currently have then that's something positive at least.

Questions though;

1) Why did Hearts think he was worth signing? They are a better team than us after all.

2) Why having just signed him, have they decided he should go out on loan now? Do they regret signing him because they don't rate him, or are they midfield heavy and don't need him right at this moment?

Highlights reel 7 or 8 minutes long from 3 season at Partick Thistle... it shows he can win a race to the ball in the centre of the pitch, pass to a team mate, tackle, score. I'm not sure how useful these are (highlights reels) to be honest. I'm guessing he will have played about 100 times for Partick Thistle and all those games would have been filmed for TV or the club's TV station, so you are looking at 7 or 8 minutes of highlights pulled from a possible 9000 minutes where he's on film playing for them.

32 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Highlights reel 7 or 8 minutes long from 3 season at Partick Thistle... it shows he can win a race to the ball in the centre of the pitch, pass to a team mate, tackle, score. I'm not sure how useful these are (highlights reels) to be honest. I'm guessing he will have played about 100 times for Partick Thistle and all those games would have been filmed for TV or the club's TV station, so you are looking at 7 or 8 minutes of highlights pulled from a possible 9000 minutes where he's on film playing for them.

Pity we hadn't signed him before last Saturday. All of which were sadly lacking.

Welcome Ryan

A lot of negativity around this signing which I think in unfair on the player.

The signing in isolation is a good signing. If we had brought him in at the beginning of the window we would have been happy with it. 

The issue is that we needed more. He has signed yet another midfielder and ignored the positions where we are really weak.

Cant see this ending well tbh.

We have 3 players who can play central midfield who Stubbs rates: McGinn, Willock & Magennis.
On the basis that Magennis has played wide in most of the first team games in his career and that we've played with 3 central midfielders in some games, I'd say that we definitely needed another central midfielder.

What a lot of subjective pish you infect this forum with - all to suit whichever agenda you’re pushing in that particular season.
As much of a joker as Stubbs himself!

Central midfield options:

McGinn

Willock

McShane

Flynn - majority of games played for us out wide

Magennis - played half his games for us out wide

McPherson - league starts 0

Erhahon - league starts 1

Kirkpatrick - league starts 1. (injured)

I don't think we were particularly overflowing with serious central midfield options, given 3 of them have 2 league starts for us between them, none at this level, and two of the others have been used out wide more often than not. Bringing in a central midfield option who can play attacking or defensive mid and who has 85 Premiership games under his belt seems a sensible move.

The fact that we have little width, apart from the two centre mids who mostly play wide, is another issue. 

Welcome to the club Ryan - try not to drown in the positivity of the fans, and the warmth of their welcome...

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

I wouldnt be surprised if that is exactly what Stubbs has in mind for the Celtic game. Cant do that against Hearts obviously.

9 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Oh really? Apologies all knowing one.

No true fan of our club who had possession of factual information of this nature would ever consider posting it because it would be highly damaging to a team already struggling to make the step up to the Premiership.

So, you are either bullshitting pr you value getting "likes" for your posts above the needs pf our team during a very difficult period. There are no other options.

So which is it? Are you a lying c**t or are you a c**t?