Grow a Pair

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

So, on one hand you boast of your support for the club yet you would hope we remain in this situation where we could well find ourselves in a relegation fight just to massage your ego? 

Brilliant. :thumbsdown

I'd read his comment again.  No mention of hoping we remain in the crap, Billy only expressed an opinion on the reasons behind the lack of quality signings

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

I'd read his comment again.  No mention of hoping we remain in the crap, Billy only expressed an opinion on the reasons behind the lack of quality signings

He said quite clearly he hoped we didn't make many, or any signings which, IMO, would not help our current situation.

Maybe you should read it again. 

We're in a relegation fight already , and the nugget in charge is not the one to get us  out of it . Nothing whatsoever to do with my ego , more to do with a realistic view on proceedings !

What planet are you on, relegation fight already . Aye ok [emoji6]

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Fair comment in the main.  I wasn't pointing a finger at any particular player or group.  Transition isn't easy.  Livvy though are different in style and approach.  Firstly,  Martingale is still there and has overseen  recruitment.  Their style of play is one a number of our fans disparaged last season but which translates well into the Premiership.  High tempo,  quick and direct.  Looking for corners and set pieces.  Win a lot in the air and compete physically.  A few in our group thought them better prepared for the top league despite not finishing top.  Having said that,  it's early days.  I won't be panicking just yet.  A time to hold our collective nerve if there ever was one. 

On page 2 of the Ipswich thread back on May 11 I  said that it was the worst time in the season (sic) to face uncertainty about managerial change, especially so in our case as JR had by that time culled the fringe players within the squad and we'd lost three of our Starting 11- Davis,  Morgan & Liam Smith - this left us in a completely different situation to Livi. Most of the players JR had targeted as replacements clearly got cold feet and TF/GLS seemed to chose not to pursue any of these players - a mistake IMO. When JR finally left it took two weeks to appoint Stubbs when we should have had someone ready to step in straight away. Further dithering by AS meant it took a further two weeks before any signings were made losing Reilly along the way. The lack of signings during this period (only Paul McGinn & Kellerman arrived) left us behind schedule in terms of squad building and unfortunately we've never caught up. The apparent desire since then to remove Ross's players ASAP, individually all the departures all made some sense but collectively it hasn't helped with squad continuity, throw in none of incoming players looking like upgrades and you've got The Perfect Storm

As for style of play Livi's back to basics approach to the game was always going to suit a team in their first season in the top flight and its staggering that Stubbs, Jackson & Rice did not know that too. We desperately need a leader at CH (this week) & IMO a change in a style of play for the rest of this season.

Despite all the doom&gloom were not in one of the relegation slots (yet) and for once I find myself at the more optimistic end of the spectrum. Stubbs is going nowhere soon and we'd all be better off offering Stubbs all the support we can muster - COYS!

Edited by Bud the Baker

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

He said quite clearly he hoped we didn't make many, or any signings which, IMO, would not help our current situation.

Maybe you should read it again. 

Put it this way , have any of the numpty's new signings helped our current situation so far ? Do you think he'll buck the trend if we allow him to blow more of the club's money before he himself is history ?

What am I explaining myself to you for anyway , you know fine well what I meant , unless you're thicker than what you first appear ?

57 minutes ago, billyg said:

We're in a relegation fight already , and the nugget in charge is not the one to get us  out of it . Nothing whatsoever to do with my ego , more to do with a realistic view on proceedings !

A relegation fight after 3 games played and 35 to go? We are likely to be scrapping near the bottom and flirting with the drop but that was always a strong possibility with the big step up.

Edited by nedflanders123

3 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Really Billy? A relegation fight after 3 games played and 35 to go? We are likely to be scrapping near the bottom and flirting with the drop but that was always a strong possibility with the big step up.

So far those who have been confident things will come right in the end are basing the optimism on how we played at Killie and beating Dundee at home. Our squad against Killie had a surprise factor and also had the least number of Stubbs signings and highest number of championship-winning-squad players in any of our games this season. The further down the line we seem to go with replacing last year's squad with Stubbs signings the weaker we look. We have a tough run of games coming up - Hamilton Accies in 3 games time looks the easiest on paper - fancy us to win that one. The other 5 games in our next 6 see us face Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmarnock. We're going to have to improve on our showings against Rangers, Aberdeen and Livingston if we hope to add to our 3 points by the time we've played 9 league games.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

So far those who have been confident things will come right in the end are basing the optimism on how we played at Killie and beating Dundee at home. Our squad against Killie had a surprise factor and also had the least number of Stubbs signings and highest number of championship-winning-squad players in any of our games this season. The further down the line we seem to go with replacing last year's squad with Stubbs signings the weaker we look. We have a tough run of games coming up - Hamilton Accies in 3 games time looks the easiest on paper - fancy us to win that one. The other 5 games in our next 6 see us face Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmarnock. We're going to have to improve on our showings against Rangers, Aberdeen and Livingston if we hope to add to our 3 points by the time we've played 9 league games.

I agree, said it on a few other threads, we will be lucky to take much from any of the top 6 sides but that's going to be the same for most of the bottom six.

We are not alone in realising there's a gap.

While we may not get a lot other teams will also, IMO, not get much.

I'm concerned about our current situation, the manner of our loss on Saturday was a worry.

Can we survive, who knows, although a few already have us doomed. 

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Surely no-one on here thinks that things are going as well as expected or to plan.

On that I think we are all agreed (for once). I doubt however that the solution is to "grow a pair".

Whilst the negativity expressed on here is understandable, would it be fair to say that not everyone on here wants Stubbs to succeed at St Mirren?

How we the fans react to adversity is crucial, but the answer is not to man up, rather not to fall into the trap of wallowing in negativity, (.aka the Murray and Rae era).

We need to give the new set-up (post JR) a chance to develop and (eventually) to succeed.

It seems that whoever we try to sign at the moment is not taking the bait - I wonder why.

I wanted Stubbs to succeed unfortunately the last two games have done it for me. Stubbs has huge problems on his hands brought about by his own doing.. 

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Now that you know what shite comeback looks like, perhaps you could revise your own recent posts accordingly.

If I can teach just one person it will be worth it.

I need time , I'll have to go for an oaksoft first !

53 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I wanted Stubbs to succeed unfortunately the last two games have done it for me. Stubbs has huge problems on his hands brought about by his own doing.. 

He needs a bit more time to finalise the squad. I recall the furore when Soaps and Dunfermline humped us big time early last season. Stubbs at least deserves the first quarter before ultimately judging him.  I don't see Man Utd sacking Jose from losing back to back games (incl 3-0 against Spurs) or West Ham sacking Pelligreni after 3 straight losses.  New players can take time to gel and some simply don't work.

Edited by nedflanders123

If only the great JR was still here to undo the shambles of a squad he left us with during the close season.

Having said that, I acknowledge what he did for us last season, but I have maintained on more than one occasion that JR's talents IMO were in motivating the squad he had and generating a positivity between the club and the fans. Remember we suffered a few heavy defeats last season and often were fortunate to win all 3 points in other games. There were only a few games where  we won comfortably or dominated the midfield. Tactically we often appeared to have no plan 'B'.

No doubt JR (if he had stayed) may have succeeded in attracting better quality players to the club than AS has so far, but I wonder how JR would have faced up to the major challenges he left us with. Perhaps his motivational qualities would not have been enough to see us through in the SPFL.

Let's hope that AS is able to re-motivate players after poor results in a similar fashion to JR.

59 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

He needs a bit more time to finalise the squad. I recall the furore when Soaps and Dunfermline humped us big time early last season. Stubbs at least deserves the first quarter before ultimately judging him.  I don't see Man Utd sacking Jose from losing back to back games (incl 3-0 against Spurs) or West Ham sacking Pelligreni after 3 straight losses.  New players can take time to gel and some simply don't work.

I reckon he will get to the last quarter around the Hibs game. There is around 24 hours left in the window and no movement it's very difficult to be positive we need at least 5 players in where are they ? If I had seen glimpses of hope in our last two games I would not be so worried. We just look so lost in a thick fog bank. 

34 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

If only the great JR was still here to undo the shambles of a squad he left us with during the close season.

Having said that, I acknowledge what he did for us last season, but I have maintained on more than one occasion that JR's talents IMO were in motivating the squad he had and generating a positivity between the club and the fans. Remember we suffered a few heavy defeats last season and often were fortunate to win all 3 points in other games. There were only a few games where  we won comfortably or dominated the midfield. Tactically we often appeared to have no plan 'B'.

No doubt JR (if he had stayed) may have succeeded in attracting better quality players to the club than AS has so far, but I wonder how JR would have faced up to the major challenges he left us with. Perhaps his motivational qualities would not have been enough to see us through in the SPFL.

Let's hope that AS is able to re-motivate players after poor results in a similar fashion to JR.

Although JR probably signed a higher ratio of duds than Danny Lennon you can still make a decent case for suggesting that had he stayed he would have signed a similar amount of players to Stubbs (he wanted about 8 or 9) but would have probably found 2 or 3 great signings among the 8 or 9. You can also make a case for saying Jack Ross hit or surpassed the targets set for him in his 20 months at the club - season 1 kept us, season 2 got us promoted a year ahead of plan.  Had he still in place I am imagining there is a good chance most of the 16 players he left behind would still be with us and in better morale than many of them are at the moment.

Jack Ross signings across 3 windows which were a definite success and appropriate for where we were at the time and suited our budget: Stephen McGinn, Harry Davis, Adam Eckersley, Liam Smith, Rory Loy, Gavin Reilly, Craig Samson, Stellious, Billy O'Brien.

The only problems Jack Ross left us with squad wise were a few people on the books who were maybe better suited to Championship level rather than premiership but who might do a job as squad players: Ian McShane, Jordan Kirkpatrick, Myles Hippolyte, Danny Mullen (now our most potent striker as this window looks set to close). Paul McGinn was one of 2 JR signings completed before he left and arguably looks like our best summer signing (not sure if Coulson is still regarded as highly as he was after his debut). I can't imagine Jack Ross signing Heaton, Cooke or King either and he didn't keep playing signings which weren't working out. Stubbs looks to have alienated over half the players he inherited and hasn't been able to move too many of them on either and needs to hope his own signings start doing the business quickly.

Reading the posts on here, I kinda see the points of those on both sides of the fence.
I’m pretty sure that when Stubbs was interviewed he’d have been asked what his plan was to merit a three year deal (something along the lines of a business plan) I’d be surprised if the BoD had not sanctioned this along with targets identified and also those signed.
Maybe some of these young guys will come good, who knows.
Maybe Stubbs had a list of experienced players he’d like to bring in, who knows.
I to thought Stubbs was the best option of those mentioned (though I thought Guti would have made an interesting appointment) As some have previously mentioned, it’s too early to make a managerial change. If Stubbs can bring in a few good experienced players, then who knows what can happen.

What a ridiculous title for an unnecessary thread. Once again Stricky clutters the forum with a topic already being discussed. And....

Grow a pair? 

Are you talking about on either side of your head to complete the picture?

People have genuine concerns and you demanding players to just stand by and let our season collapse is absolute crap.  Unlike you, they are at the sharp end seeing what is happening within the club.

to coin another colloquial adage....

Away 'n bile yer heed! 

52 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

What a ridiculous title for an unnecessary thread. Once again Stricky clutters the forum with a topic already being discussed. And....

Grow a pair? 

People have genuine concerns and you demanding players to just stand by and let our season collapse is absolute crap.  Unlike you, they are at the sharp end seeing what is happening within the club.

Away 'n bile yer heed! 

All about opinions Lucy. 

A number of people may well agree with you and a number may not.

Either way, good of you to take the time to post. 

Adversity can bring out the best or the worst in us as fans. 

I prefer to remain both realistic and optimistic. 

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Grow a pair? 

Away 'n bile yer heed! 

You are adding nothing here other than to deliberately come onto a thread created by a guy you claim to have on ignore for the sole purpose of giving him verbal abuse. You are the problem here.

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Grow a pair? 

Away 'n bile yer heed! 

Oh and Stubbs can go now is a good title is it:byebye As for sharp end i think the fairies have visited you this week. Take a chill pill and a wee nap. Come back in May when all the excitement is over:byebye