Serving The Public

Thought I seen it all been in the trade for over 40 years. Well spoken couple comes in orders  one Latie to share :blink: better still can we have half a scone. The waitress replied we don't do half scones Ican give you a full scone , no said abruptly so they did not bother Strange but should not come as a surprise. 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Thought I seen it all been in the trade for over 40 years. Well spoken couple comes in orders  one Latie to share :blink: better still can we have half a scone. The waitress replied we don't do half scones Ican give you a full scone , no said abruptly so they did not bother Strange but should not come as a surprise. 

Shull said he was going to pop in today. 

10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

:whistle

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Maybe they had a slight stutter and just wanted to have a scone.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you showed them the size of your "scones" then maybe they would have decided to have one each,

I have heard you can easily fit both your "scones" in your mouth at the same time.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Had a similar one with a wummin only wanting to buy One slice of toast (a whole two slices in a seving) to go with her tea. Informed her no, and  that we also dont do half cups of tea, quarter pies, the jam out of a sponge or just the spots from a spotted dick (you have to have the dick).

she looked confused, so i offered to compromise and serve her the middle of a doughnut instead.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Had a similar one with a wummin only wanting to buy One slice of toast (a whole two slices in a seving) to go with her tea. Informed her no, and  that we also dont do half cups of tea, quarter pies, the jam out of a sponge or just the spots from a spotted dick (you have to have the dick).

she looked confused, so i offered to compromise and serve her the middle of a doughnut instead.

:youngman:oohlala

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Scones are baked fresh every morning with my secret recipe :D and sell out everyday :booty

Make them smaller and they won't have to ask for half of one. :rolleyes:

beyond our ken beat me to something in a similar vein. 

Edited by pod

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Saving room for his half a pie tonight

As a ball boy in the 72/73 Season, at half time, received half a pie and cup of tea while resting down in the Love Street boiler room.

13 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Some people have very little money and these two probably scrambled every penny they could for a wee treat.it reminds me of when I was much younger and my wife and I, after paying all our bills, cobbled together one last £1 in loose coins to buy a 4 pack of Tesco Value beer. It was the best tasting beer I have ever had. :lol:

Amd you turned them away? you could easily have given them one latte, half a scone, charged them 2/3 the price of a whole one and still made a very healthy profit. But you sent them away after embarassing them and giving them a needless opportunity to slag your business off on social media?

You must be doing very well to turn down any custom and that is your right I suppose as it's your business. 

Got to tell you though we never turn a customer away if we can help it. We certainly never embarass them. Customers try to pull all sorts of crap and we find ourselves occasionally offering free stuff to keep them happy. Never fails. They always come back for repeat business.

I have been running my business for quite a bit longer than you so let me give you some advice. Never ever let a customer walk out of your shop with a grievance. Ever.

Personally, I would have given the whole scone, said I would only charge them for the tea and thanked them choosing my shop. The scone only costs a few pence anyway and it would be an investment in them coming back again and spreading word of mouth about my shop. Instead, whilst you are on here boasting about teaching this couple the error of their ways, they are at home tweeting and facebooking all their friends and family about the shite experience they had in your shop.

I think you've missed a trick here bud.

You should train your staff to consult with you for things like this.

Edited by oaksoft

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Some people have very little money and these two probably scrambled every penny they could for a wee treat.it reminds me of when I was much younger and my wife and I, after paying all our bills, cobbled together one last £1 in loose coins to buy a 4 pack of Tesco Value beer. It was the best tasting beer I have ever had. :lol:

Amd you turned them away? you could easily have given them one latte, half a scone, charged them 2/3 the price of a whole one and still made a very healthy profit. But you sent them away after embarassing them and giving them a needless opportunity to slag your business off on social media?

You must be doing very well to turn down any custom and that is your right I suppose as it's your business. 

Got to tell you though we never turn a customer away if we can help it. We certainly never embarass them. Customers try to pull all sorts of crap and we find ourselves occasionally offering free stuff to keep them happy. Never fails. They always come back for repeat business.

I have been running my business for quite a bit longer than you so let me give you some advice. Never ever let a customer walk out of your shop with a grievance. Ever.

Personally, I would have given the whole scone, said I would only charge them for the tea and thanked them choosing my shop. The scone only costs a few pence anyway and it would be an investment in them coming back again and spreading word of mouth about my shop. Instead, whilst you are on here boasting about teaching this couple the error of their ways, they are at home tweeting and facebooking all their friends and family about the shite experience they had in your shop.

I think you've missed a trick here bud.

You should train your staff to consult with you for things like this.

Very well dressed , very well spoken with a nice car parked right across the road. We have customers normally older people who like to share a cake or a light meal there is no problem with that. As soon as customers are sat at the table glasses are put down with a bottle of refrigerated water before an order is taken. Children get Robeson's juice free to help keep the cost down for parents. 

7 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Very well dressed , very well spoken with a nice car parked right across the road. We have customers normally older people who like to share a cake or a light meal there is no problem with that. As soon as customers are sat at the table glasses are put down with a bottle of refrigerated water before an order is taken. Children get Robeson's juice free to help keep the cost down for parents. 

Like I said, it's your business but that is a shocking attitude.

55 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Go on I'm all ears and eyes what shocking attitude have I got this should be fun. 

I bet it's going to be a lot less fun than you think.

I have already given you some sound and free business advice about how not to treat your customers on this thread.

You didn't take my advice as is your right but understand that I am now closed for business on that score, as is my right.

I have lost count of how many retail outlets, cafes, restaurants and shops in general close down each year all across the UK.

Maybe you can afford to treat some of your potential customers in this way and maybe you can't.

Was I right? Was it less fun than you thought?

Edited by oaksoft