Transfer Window Countdown

3 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Just to throw this out there but while Stubbs is getting slaughtered for not bringing players in is it not Fitzys jobs to actually get players in once Stubbs has identified a list. We have no idea how far down Stubbs list of players a guy like Edwards would be...

This is my question also.. the board must be allowing Stubbs to sign these guys but are they really the type of player he wants to bring in?? If so he deserves all he gets but I have a feeling the BOD have not allowed him to get the type of player he was after.. As a Manager in any walk of life if you are recruiting you will nearly always be looking for experience which is generally more expensive so has Stubbs been told loan signings and unknowns are all he can bring in?

13 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Just to throw this out there but while Stubbs is getting slaughtered for not bringing players in is it not Fitzys jobs to actually get players in once Stubbs has identified a list. We have no idea how far down Stubbs list of players a guy like Edwards would be...

Fitzpatrick is rubbish, he's only got 13 signings over the line in this window eh?

8 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

You will be very lucky.

How in hell name are we ment to compete we badly need a striker and you are telling us that's probably it for signings this is an absolute joke we are utterly screwed It was tounge and cheek when I said we would be relegated with the lowest points tally ever now I truly believe it our goals for and against columns are going to be truly embarrassing think that's my mind made up I haven't managed to get to a game yet but won't be making any effort to either to imagine pay g £22 to watch that shite. 

16 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

How many more deals do you think Fitzy should have got over the line. GLS said when Stubbs was made manager we would back him in the transfer market by letting him add 6 or 7 players to the 16 or 17 he inherited. Stubbs has now made his 11th signing of this window... and I'll bet next week we'll be in the market for players without clubs!

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Fitzpatrick is rubbish, he's only got 13 signings over the line in this window eh?

1) I didn't say Fitzy was rubbish...

2) the quality of the 13 is, as far as I can judge, below the standard we require. Are you saying Tony has been a success due to the quantity of players we have brought in? What a strange way to judge someones performance!

Anyway, my point is whilst Stubbs isn't blameless (the opposite is probably true) no one knows who his top targets were and how many he missed out on, it looks like we have missed out on Miller, The Juve guy and Stewart, there may be a raft more

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

How many more deals do you think Fitzy should have got over the line. GLS said when Stubbs was made manager we would back him in the transfer market by letting him add 6 or 7 players to the 16 or 17 he inherited. Stubbs has now made his 11th signing of this window... and I'll bet next week we'll be in the market for players without clubs!

I'm not judging this window on quantity, we needed better players, don't think anyone doubts that Greg Stewart who we missed out on looks a better option than Brock-Madsen.

The manager wanted and got the following players in. Some on 2 and 3 year deals so I reckon the Board backed him - Rodgers, Kpakawa, Heaton, King, Coulson, Jones, Hodson, Brock-Marsden , Cooke and Willock and now Edwards. 11 players - a complete team to compete in the Premiership.

When Stubbs was unveiled by GLS the chairman said the club would back Stubbs in the transfer market by letting him sign another 6 or 7 players to add to Kellerman an Paul McGinn who arrived before Stubbs became manager. To date Stubbs has signed 1. Danny Rogers 2. Lee Hodson 3. Hayden Coulson 4. Cole Kpekawa 5. Alfie Jones 6. Josh Heaton 7. Matty Willock 8. Jeff King 9. Cody Cooke 10. Nicholai Brock-Madsen.
Stubbs appears to be greeting like a kid that we still need to add quality and bring more in. GLS and Fitzpatrick are within their rights to ask him would he like to make double the amount of signings agreed when he signed up for the job and to ask him on a progress report on how his first 10 signings are doing.
Stubbs may well be of the view that since Ross Stewart (goalkeeper), Myles Hippolyte, Ross Stewart (striker) and Jim Kellerman have gone out the door that he has only had a net 6 signings so far.  GLS and TF have been as good as their word.
The BoD matched Dundee's offer to Kenny Miller (i.e. a 2 year deal to a 38 year old striker!) but he chose working with Neil McCann over working with Alan Stubbs.
The problem doesn't appear to be with the number of signings or size of budget but with the quality of the 10 (so far) signings Stubbs has made.
All really good points.

2 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

2) the quality of the 13 is, as far as I can judge, below the standard we require. Are you saying Tony has been a success due to the quantity of players we have brought in? What a strange way to judge someones performance!

Anyway, my point is whilst Stubbs isn't blameless (the opposite is probably true) no one knows who his top targets were and how many he missed out on, it looks like we have missed out on Miller, The Juve guy and Stewart, there may be a raft more

Miller took time to mention he had great chats with Tony Fitzpatrick, was offered more or less the same deal as at Dundee and he also spoke to Stubbs a few times and chose to work with his old pal Neil McCann.

Is your question not really about whether someone should have checked the quality of Stubbs signings before getting the deals over the line. In most clubs it is not the CEO or chairman's job to scout and vet their own manager's transfer targets. 

4 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Erm....yes. Surely the quality part is down to Stubbs if he is the manager. I'd have thought Fitzy's job was mainly to get them over the line, not to judge the quality. That's the manager's job surely?

So if that is it. I reckon the squad of fit players as it stands is -

Goalkeeper - Samson;

Defenders - Hodson, Baird, Jones, Kpekewa, Coulson;

Midfielders - Flynn, Edwards, McGinn, Magennis, Willock, Smith, King;

Forwards - Mullen, Brock-Madsen.

Have I missed anyone? That's only 15 players, how is that adequate? We have been unlucky with injuries, currently 7 out by my reckoning, but at least 4 of them are long-term so can't be counted as players that we can use in the first half of the season.

Apart from the numbers being inadequate, it's also a very inexperienced defence. That lies with Stubbs. This is a complete shambles. For once, Elvis is right.

The club have Fitzy in a prized position, a legend as a player for the club and who also was manager of the club.  So Fitzy should have been able to offer some sort of advice as to whether certain players were good enough or not, whether that advice be to the Chairman or the Manager.

It seems to have been a complete failure on all parts.

So if that is it. I reckon the squad of fit players as it stands is -
Goalkeeper - Samson;
Defenders - Hodson, Baird, Jones, Kpekewa, Coulson;
Midfielders - Flynn, Edwards, McGinn, Magennis, Willock, Smith, King;
Forwards - Mullen, Brock-Madsen.
Have I missed anyone? That's only 15 players, how is that adequate? We have been unlucky with injuries, currently 7 out by my reckoning, but at least 4 of them are long-term so can't be counted as players that we can use in the first half of the season.
Apart from the numbers being inadequate, it's also a very inexperienced defence. That lies with Stubbs. This is a complete shambles. For once, Elvis is right.

McPherson, Erhahon, Cooke

5 minutes ago, melmac said:

The club have Fitzy in a prized position, a legend as a player for the club and who also was manager of the club.  So Fitzy should have been able to offer some sort of advice as to whether certain players were good enough or not, whether that advice be to the Chairman or the Manager.

It seems to have been a complete failure on all parts.

Fitzpatrick has completed 13 deals in this window so far (not including the ones going the club)... not a bad haul. Do you think Leann Dempster scouts and vets Neil Lennon's list of targets?