Raise the white flag

With news that we will be making no more signings

We are left with an imbalanced squad which on evidence shown so far not able to complete in the league they are now in

I would have concerns with this squad if we were still in the championship never mind the premiership

Very poor from the club all round 

Blame pointed towards the management over the signings which have been made

To be fair their judgement has been very poor on what's required in this league

The management blaming the BOD over the standard of player they can get in on the budget set

For once we had a profitable summer but on the face of it little has been seen to be put back into playing staff

Which means the supporters who backed the club in good numbers have been left ever so short changed

I will be accused of knicker wetting but i thought lessons would have been learnt from Tommy Craig's time but seems not

Really no excuse to be in this position but we are

Far too much fannying about in the summer in getting a manager

Then starting in getting a squad in

I would say amateurish but that's an insult to the many amateur clubs which is better ran than ours at the moment

O well Tommy Craig i expected the crappy season ahead

I'm the same as Elvis in anything we pick up as a bonus

Well as ever with St mirren it’s all about never say never and expect the unexpected.
Same shit different day now.
Anyhow, we will soldier on, who the f**k knows what is round the corner. I’ve just had a little bit of St Mirren caring kicked out of me with this debacle around us presently. Fans just grin and suck it up, nowt else for it.
Rise again, for sure, the enthralling bit is when and where ????
Btw should it not be raise the black and white flag.....

oh wait .............

That being said I’m as disappointed as many people on here.

I’m disappointed in the way Jack left and f**ked our signing plans and pre-season activity.

I’m disappointed the BOD chose Stubbs to replace him.

I’m disappointed he can’t put a competitive team together given he’s signed a shitload of players.

I’m disappointed the legacy players from Jack’s team haven’t lived up to the standards they set themselves last year.

I’m disappointed that the “feel-good factor” around the club has gone after a month of the season.

I’m disappointed there’s no money left to spend despite raking in a few quid.

That being said we’re obliged to turn up for the next 35 games so we might as well give it a f**king go and see if we can surprise a few folk.

It’s absolutely bizarre that Stubbs appears to be a dead man walking at this point but that is what I’ve taken from the fact that he’s been given no more money to fix the glaring holes in the squad.

What price a backs to the wall, battling, point at Tynie tomorrow?[emoji106]

I'd rather the squad we have - which still contains 10 players who played key parts in our promotion last season - show some fight on the pitch, rather than all turn on the manager and use his mere presence as an excuse for failure.

I'm sorry but far too many fans seem have absolutely no stomach for a hard season. We've made underhwelming signings in the main, but most of these guys haven't even played a handful of games yet - some of them haven't had 90 minutes in total for the team - and every single one has been written off.

Am I alone in wanting to actually see how the team gets on before surrendering completely? Is everyone just intent on predicting our doom and then waiting to gloat when it comes to pass?

FFS grow a pair, as someone once said...

Edited by Soctty

22 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I’m disappointed in the way Jack left and f**ked our signing plans and pre-season activity.

I’m disappointed he can’t put a competitive team together given he’s signed a shitload of players.

I’m disappointed the legacy players from Jack’s team haven’t lived up to the standards they set themselves last year.

I’m disappointed that the “feel-good factor” around the club has gone after a month of the season.

That being said we’re obliged to turn up for the next 35 games so we might as well give it a f**king go and see if we can surprise a few folk.

It’s absolutely bizarre that Stubbs appears to be a dead man walking at this point but that is what I’ve taken from the fact that he’s been given no more money to fix the glaring holes in the squad.

What price a backs to the wall, battling, point at Tynie tomorrow?emoji106.png

Yep, I really do think we need to put the  ollective whining behind us and accept we are in a dogfight to turn things around.

Just like we did when we were bottom of the Championship. Seems like ages ago.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Yep, I really do think we need to put the  ollective whining behind us and accept we are in a dogfight to turn things around.

As another thread pointed out, we're playing in a league within a league and the Livi result was a shaker because of the way we seem to have lost - they fought for it and we didn't seems to be the general view of those who were there. The Kilmarnock,  Dumbarton and Dundee games showed these guys are capable of good football, but they have to work to produce it against the other teams in the lower reaches. Our target this season should realistically have been 10th or better from the outset with consolidation thereafter and that is still on for us - provided the team get stuck in and play the way we know they can. The white flag can go in the cupboard for a good while yet!!!

Up to players and management to sort it out and at the very least get organised and play to best of their ability. Support will support a team that goes out there and gives it a go and will support a manager who demonstrates progress. Stubbs needs to show us that his signings are capable and that he can mould a team

Yes we have what we have thanks to the manager who  brought in so much inexperienced players to the club. Will give him credit that he wanted a couple of experienced guy's ( marquee) with what is left over from last season could have maybe done something at least stay in the premiership. The flick of the coin on the other side is Spartons, Queens Park , Aberdeen , Livingston these were all warning signs. The board has played it's part here also by not backing the manager so you have to ask what is their agenda. As a fan it just looks a bit of a mess. Tony reads these forums as does Gordon , Tony in particular would normally be on the roof tops shouting the manager's praises after all  he has a history of that. That in it's self tells me the board know a mistake a huge expensive one has been made. Feel gutted after last seasons high. Would love to see the team get it's act together unfortunately there have been too many bad performances for that to happen.  Gutted to the core. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Yeah, and we only had a half a season to fix that mess.

That’s me found my positive and I’m going to cling to it![emoji23]

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yes we have what we have thanks to the manager who  brought in so much inexperienced players to the club. Will give him credit that he wanted a couple of experienced guy's ( marquee) with what is left over from last season could have maybe done something at least stay in the premiership. The flick of the coin on the other side is Spartons, Queens Park , Aberdeen , Livingston these were all warning signs. The board has played it's part here also by not backing the manager so you have to ask what is their agenda. As a fan it just looks a bit of a mess. Tony reads these forums as does Gordon , Tony in particular would normally be on the roof tops shouting the manager's praises after all  he has a history of that. That in it's self tells me the board know a mistake a huge expensive one has been made. Feel gutted after last seasons high. Would love to see the team get it's act together unfortunately there have been too many bad performances for that to happen.  Gutted to the core. 

He has been pretty quiet and his appearances a bit sparse for someone proud of his club.

55 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We the support knew we were in a dogfight the second we went up

The fans will be there in good numbers tomorrow and Josh and his crew will be in good voice

But the post wasn't aimed at the fans

2 hours ago, DLBud said:

What price a backs to the wall, battling, point at Tynie tomorrow?emoji106.png

I love you. :wub:

Squad recruitment has been every bit as poor as under Tommy Craig. Possibly even worse. 

No point in chucking it though. It is a long haul and Alan Stubbs won't be here very long, that much is pretty clear. Once you've lost seemingly everyone from the fans, to the players to your own board who won't even back you despite glaring deficiencies in the squad, then it's likely a bit of an irretrievable situation. 

I do genuinely feel sorry for the guy as I'm sure he's a good person and he's doing his best... no one intentionally goes into a job to fail but he's gone about his business of a rebuild so ham-fistedly. Nothing individually that I'd call a massive disaster on its own (assuming Cammy or McGinn don't leave) but it seems there's several things that he has misjudged from the get go... not least the calibre of footballer required to operate at this level... and when you start on so many negatives so quickly, it's extremely hard to recover. 

Never raise the white flag. Even though we have had the biggest clusterf*ck of a recruitment strategy in this window I will always support the boys and have confidence misguided or not we can have a good season.

Even if we were to replicate Brechin’s performance of last season I would still be there keeping the faith.

Joys of being a St Mirren supporter.

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Squad recruitment has been every bit as poor as under Tommy Craig. Possibly even worse. 

No point in chucking it though. It is a long haul and Alan Stubbs won't be here very long, that much is pretty clear. Once you've lost seemingly everyone from the fans, to the players to your own board who won't even back you despite glaring deficiencies in the squad, then it's likely a bit of an irretrievable situation. 

I do genuinely feel sorry for the guy as I'm sure he's a good person and he's doing his best... no one intentionally goes into a job to fail but he's gone about his business of a rebuild so ham-fistedly. Nothing individually that I'd call a massive disaster on its own (assuming Cammy or McGinn don't leave) but it seems there's several things that he has misjudged from the get go... not least the calibre of footballer required to operate at this level... and when you start on so many negatives so quickly, it's extremely hard to recover. 

The board have backed Stubbs! When he came in GLS said he would be free to bring in 6 or 7 players to add to the players who were still contracted from last year's squad and JR's 2 summer signings. Stubbs began work or rebuilding the squad not by looking at the targets JR and JF had identified but by telling Reilly his deal was off the table (within days of Stubbs arriving at the club and without meeting Reilly). He then got to work on clearing out more of the squad he inherited telling at least 4 players after 1 week of pre-season training they were free to leave and since then has sold 2 others, loaned out Kellerman and apparently said Cammy Smith can go if a deal suits the club! He has decimated what he inherited and now having signed 11 new players of his own, with 7 injuries we don't look like we can fill the subs bench!

Stubbs has now signed 11 of his own players. When Jack Ross signed 11 players in one window there was no doubt that the board had backed him and let him build his own team. I have no idea why people are questioning the board's "backing" of Stubbs - Kenny Miller has said we offered him more or less the same 2 year deal Dundee gave him - he could have been a 12th signing!

LOL

I can’t believe the difference since May. It would have been incredible to think we would end up here so quickly.

For me this is pure and simple down to coaching/management style. Craig, Rae and Murray couldn’t crack the formula of getting players to give their all. Jack did and he built an incredible spirit.

His approach was to engage, encourage and even consult the players on how they go forward together. Stubbs has the approach of old days e.g. players are there to be told what to do.

His tactics and signings are clearly an issue but I still think he has to be given more time - he’s on the hook now, he’s had resources and backing and he’s brought in players who have limited playing time and he’s unbalanced the squad capabilities. Given endless time maybe it would work but that’s something we can’t give him.

If your one of the players from last season your simply not enjoying your work as much and it shows. He needs to get them onside and supporting the other players very quickly. In short he needs to change his style to get the best out of the team. I’d like to see him out on the touch line encouraging and guiding the less experienced lads tomorrow because it will be very tough.

Jack didn’t have it easy initially and he said himself that one good result gave him something to build on. I think we are 2-3 wks away from that happening.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

The only option is to be positive. 

Accies, Livi and Dundee are also shite. Maybe big Cole will prove himself to be a star, Heaton will come back from injury much better, Hodson will take some growth pills, Brock-Madsen will score loads...

The same Livingston that we couldn’t land a shot on their goal? Aye that one ?? Honestly some people are only able to see things thro the black and white specs. The teams v poor and we lost to a side with half our budget. That’ll do

1 minute ago, Highland Saint said:

I can’t believe the difference since May. It would have been incredible to think we would end up here so quickly.

For me this is pure and simple down to coaching/management style. Craig, Rae and Murray couldn’t crack the formula of getting players to give their all. Jack did and he built an incredible spirit.

His approach was to engage, encourage and even consult the players on how they go forward together. Stubbs has the approach of old days e.g. players are there to be told what to do.

His tactics and signings are clearly an issue but I still think he has to be given more time - he’s on the hook now, he’s had resources and backing and he’s brought in players who have limited playing time and he’s unbalanced the squad capabilities. Given endless time maybe it would work but that’s something we can’t give him.

If your one of the players from last season your simply not enjoying your work as much and it shows. He needs to get them onside and supporting the other players very quickly. In short he needs to change his style to get the best out of the team. I’d like to see him out on the touch line encouraging and guiding the less experienced lads tomorrow because it will be very tough.

Jack didn’t have it easy initially and he said himself that one good result gave him something to build on. I think we are 2-3 wks away from that happening.

Hamilton away represents a chance to get a point the rest we will not get much of anything