Does anyone else agree that now would be the ideal time to campaign for league reconstruction?

I feel there are compelling arguments for increasing the number of teams in the top division, and that there is no time to waste in terms of introducing this. Tomorrow would be ideal, but certainly in time for the start of next season.

16 or 18, it is all the same to me, frankly.

53 minutes ago, Drew said:

Does anyone else agree that now would be the ideal time to campaign for league reconstruction?

I feel there are compelling arguments for increasing the number of teams in the top division, and that there is no time to waste in terms of introducing this. Tomorrow would be ideal, but certainly in time for the start of next season.

Sorry, but I've got a suspicious mind. :rolleyes:

Are you preparing for the worst.

Edited by pod

10 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Not sure if the country can sustain a 16 team league. Definitely think some stability is required and I believe this would be the ideal season for the SPFL to experiment with no relegation. 

Country ? 

Each Club sustains themselves. 

No relegation means no competition. 

And hundreds of friendlies. 

Hopefully all fans will be admitted for free for all the non events. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Coupled with this, perhaps is a management team reconstruction at St. Mirren - we have a number of lessons to take from this - let's hope they are not too sore...

no reason the top league should not have 14 teams other that the greed of the few, especially the 2 ugly sisters that take the lions share..

There are so many reasons against this. The main ones are;

There would be more meaningless games and less teams outside the OF would experience winning a title. Last season was one of the most enjoyable I've had supporting St Mirren. The other 2 were 99/00 and 05/06. I don't fancy chucking all that in the bin for a life of bottom of the table mediocrity. 

Naturally the slice of the Premier League pie would be reduced with more teams diluting the money received by each team. The sense of achievement of being in the PL would also further be reduced. We would lose a strong 2nd tier which I think we should be proud of the level of quality in the 2nd tier in this country rather than try to get rid of it. 

I could go on and on. All these down sides for the only benefit I can see would be that we would play more varied opposition. Whilst thats a slight benefit thats not a big benefit for me. I'm at the games on a Saturday to see St Mirren I couldn't really give a f**k if its Dundee/St Johnstone/falkirk/(Insert other diddy) we are playing. 

4 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

There would be more meaningless games and less teams outside the OF would experience winning a title. Last season was one of the most enjoyable I've had supporting St Mirren. The other 2 were 99/00 and 05/06. I don't fancy chucking all that in the bin for a life of bottom of the table mediocrity. 

Naturally the slice of the Premier League pie would be reduced with more teams diluting the money received by each team. The sense of achievement of being in the PL would also further be reduced. We would lose a strong 2nd tier which I think we should be proud of the level of quality in the 2nd tier in this country rather than try to get rid of it. 

I could go on and on. All these down sides for the only benefit I can see would be that we would play more varied opposition. Whilst thats a slight benefit thats not a big benefit for me. I'm at the games on a Saturday to see St Mirren I couldn't really give a f**k if its Dundee/St Johnstone/falkirk/(Insert other diddy) we are playing. 

:blink:

in an ideal world I would have two top leagues of 14-16 teams.  Stadium requirements... Grass or hybrid pitch.  Full time teams (Max number of part-time players per club perhaps).  Beyond that an extension of the pyramid system to include clubs currently in league 2. 

I would agree to this. There isn't an away day in this league that I actually want to go to.

League below there's quite a few.

50 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I hear this meaningless games nonsense every time reconstruction is mooted. What exactly is a meaningless game when 3 points are available and prize money for league positioning?  Every league in the world has games where there is nothing to play for at certain times of the season  i relation to winning the league, getting into Europe or being relegated/play off.  It's always been there in middle table clashes.  Only certain teams across Europe (those with money) are likely to be successful and others have attended the top table but never won the major prizes. We had a good league when it was 18 clubs and a time when the ugly sisters were likely to win it each season. Greed was behind the restructuring and is still the case because of the gruesome twosome and a few others wanting a bigger share of a small purse. I would welcome Dunfermline, Morton, Patrick, Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Ayr Utd into our league.

Edited by nedflanders123

49 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Understand the sentiment but I’m sure fans of the NFL would disagree.

I don't think the NFL has two Clubs that have more money than the rest of the Clubs combined. 

Pros and cons in all above scenarios. I suspect many of our home attendances would be up in a bigger league, particularly playing the likes of Dunfermline and Patrick. Wheth this would offset income of potentially three or four games against old firm l am not sure about. Unfortunately the harsh reality of Scott football and in many respects it's fatal flaw is the financial might of old firm, probably more so than their dominance of league and cups. I am increasingly happier with the pyramidal model we are establishing but do think that it would greatly benefit the game if a number of areas, particularly in central and eastern Scotland amalgamated local clubs to create more potential strong teams- look at Caley thistle since they merged

4 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I assume in saying “less teams outside the OF would experience winning a title” you mean the second tier title, as teams like ourselves, Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Dunfermline could be bottom half of the top division teams in any bigger top flight, therefore being unable to win the Championship due to not being in it? Well, surely that opens the door for QotS, Morton, Ayr or whoever, to win it instead.

I’d rather be in an expanded top flight than fcuking around in the Championship for five seasons trying to get back to the top flight. Sometimes I think some of our fans want us to win the Championship, then get relegated immediately, just so we can try to win the bloody Championship again, then get relegated, then...

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I assume in saying “less teams outside the OF would experience winning a title” you mean the second tier title, as teams like ourselves, Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Dunfermline could be bottom half of the top division teams in any bigger top flight, therefore being unable to win the Championship due to not being in it? Well, surely that opens the door for QotS, Morton, Ayr or whoever, to win it instead.

4 teams every year experience winning a title. There would't be 4 leagues if we expanded the top flight is the point.

I still don't actually know what the supposed benefit of expanding the league is? I can only see negatives.

19 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I don't get this argument about "meaningless" games. Every game has meaning. League positions are financially tied. Players get bonuses. Fans can get to see young players being blooded in with the safety net in place for those who have secured their places. This actually happens within the present setup. Some teams are secure so, when they are playing another team who are in need of the points it's as meaningless to the former as it would be with any extended league. I support St. Mirren and want them to finish as high up the league as possible.

ETA. What other team has looked like winning the title in the Noughties?

Edited by stlucifer

19 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I don't get this argument about "meaningless" games. Every game has meaning. League positions are financially tied. Players get bonuses. Fans can get to see young players being blooded in with the safety net in place for those who have secured their places. This actually happens within the present setup. Some teams are secure so, when they are playing another team who are in need of the points it's as meaningless to the former as it would be with any extended league. I support St. Mirren and want them to finish as high up the league as possible.

ETA. What other team has looked like winning the title in the Noughties?

I'm sorry but at that point the games are meaningless. You can pick a tiny element of any game and say there is interest there but in the grand scheme of things many are meaningless. These end of season non-events are hardly going to get the fans coming in their droves. 

Whether the league is 10, 20, 30 teams it will have no impact on how good St Mirren are. The point I'm making is, if we finish in 13th position in Scottish Football, do you think we would have had a more enjoyable season/bigger attendances/more media interest/etc  coming 13th in the PL or 1st in the Championship? 

Bearing in mind this has no effect on how good we are. If a bigger league miraculously made St Mirren a better team id be all for it but obviously thats not the case.