Give Alan Stubbs A Chance

shull

I think there is a difference between the two, the two you quoted tc and Im, there was no discernable shape or tactics that made you think that things could be turned around, many posters on here accepted that although J r's early results were poor there was a plan that could provide improvement, current performances suggest we have a tc or im rather than a Jr therfore an early sacking is the best option. I hope that there is some clause in the contract that says if we're bottom at Oct, Nov, or Dec we don't have to pay you off. But to suggest fans that wanted tc or Im sacked after, 4 games were in any way mistaken is plain wrong and I would suggest that fans currently calling for as's sacking will also be proved to be correct

So imagine we sack Stubbs after 4 league games.

Given that we struggle to attract good managers when we are doing well, which manager worth his salt do you guys believe will touch our club with a bargepole? Who would come to a club with a trigger happy board?

That's the practical question here. Who is sitting at home hoping we will phone him?

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Given that we struggle to attract good managers when we are doing well, which manager worth his salt do you guys believe will touch our club with a bargepole? Who would come to a club with a trigger happy board?

That's the practical question here. Who is sitting at home hoping we will phone him?

All true. But emotion plays as a big a part as practical in football. Especially with us moving to fan owned club. GS and TF are both massive supporters so lets see

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There will be no shortage of applications for the job.

This "trigger happy board" has never yet sacked a single manager.

Saturday was an improved performance, but a leaky defence undermines everything in front of it. After an early setback, we fought back to level, but up against the form team in the country, one which is tipped as possible early challengers, we succumbed to their onslaught as a few have already done this season. We had two player making their second start in our defence, so still early days in terms of building relationships there.

Celtic up next is another thankless task. The Hamilton game is the key one for me. IF we can go there and pick up three points, Stubbs will have bought himself some time. If we lose that one I dread to think of the abuse he will be getting on social media from people who should know better.

I'm all for giving the manager a chance, as I was when he was appointed, and am willing him to succeed, as unlikely as most believe that to be.

52 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Saturday was an improved performance, but a leaky defence undermines everything in front of it. After an early setback, we fought back to level, but up against the form team in the country, one which is tipped as possible early challengers, we succumbed to their onslaught as a few have already done this season. We had two player making their second start in our defence, so still early days in terms of building relationships there.

Celtic up next is another thankless task. The Hamilton game is the key one for me. IF we can go there and pick up three points, Stubbs will have bought himself some time. If we lose that one I dread to think of the abuse he will be getting on social media from people who should know better.

I'm all for giving the manager a chance, as I was when he was appointed, and am willing him to succeed, as unlikely as most believe that to be.

I want him to go before he gets that level of abuse.

He is on a hiding to nothing, mate, and I don't believe that there is the remotest chance of him turning things around.

It's a Tommy Craig type scenario all over again. Woeful recruitment, baffling tactics (or absence thereof), apparent unrest within the player group and possibly beyond, and a manager who seems unable to take responsibility for his own role in all of the above.

It can only end one way, and the sooner the better for all involved.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

I want him to go before he gets that level of abuse.

He is on a hiding to nothing, mate, and I don't believe that there is the remotest chance of him turning things around.

It's a Tommy Craig type scenario all over again. Woeful recruitment, baffling tactics (or absence thereof), apparent unrest within the player group and possibly beyond, and a manager who seems unable to take responsibility for his own role in all of the above.

It can only end one way, and the sooner the better for all involved.

He's already getting unwarranted abuse mate. I judge each manager on his own merits rather than relate to a previous regime. It is looking grim now, but this is a crucial decision for us. If we sack Stubbs and get someone in who is no better then what is the point?

And I know some will say that nobody could be worse than Stubbs, but he has 1 win in 4 so far - Alex Rae started his fatal season with no wins in 6 in the league, and Jack Ross started with 6 defeats.

I will be unimpressed if the board sack a manager 4 league games into a 3 year contract, having seemingly lost faith in him well before this point. I will also have little faith in them striking it lucky with their next appointment. It's a huge mess already, and will get no tidier with an early sacking, unless we have someone better lined up to come in.

48 minutes ago, Soctty said:

He's already getting unwarranted abuse mate. I judge each manager on his own merits rather than relate to a previous regime. It is looking grim now, but this is a crucial decision for us. If we sack Stubbs and get someone in who is no better then what is the point?

And I know some will say that nobody could be worse than Stubbs, but he has 1 win in 4 so far - Alex Rae started his fatal season with no wins in 6 in the league, and Jack Ross started with 6 defeats.

I will be unimpressed if the board sack a manager 4 league games into a 3 year contract, having seemingly lost faith in him well before this point. I will also have little faith in them striking it lucky with their next appointment. It's a huge mess already, and will get no tidier with an early sacking, unless we have someone better lined up to come in.

I don't compare him to others either. Let's face it, we don't need to.

This is his squad, and it clearly isn't good enough. He knows that we lost our best player at the end of last season in Lewis Morgan, yet he hasn't even recruited anyone to the position of left mid. That is indefensible. Utter madness. Even the fundamentals are missing.

Not only is his squad totally unbalanced, but his man management seems to leave a hell of a lot to be desired having told players (a number of whom who we still have on our books) that they weren't wanted after being at the club for little more than a fortnight. I'm all for a new manager stamping his identity on his new post, and making required changes, but it isn't unreasonable to expect that these changes would be improvements.

For a man who played in Scotland and has managed a club here previously, he seems to have very limited understanding of what is required to survive much less succeed.

Anyway, I'm saying nothing that hasn't been said before, on numerous occasions, so probably best now to simply wait and see what transpires. I just hope it can be as painless as possible.

Edited by Drew

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

This is his squad, and it clearly isn't good enough. He knows that we lost our best player at the end of last season in Lewis Morgan, yet he hasn't even recruited anyone to the position of left mid. That is indefensible. Utter madness. Even the fundamentals are missing.

Not only is his squad totally unbalanced, but his man management seems to leave a hell of a lot to be desired having told a number of players (who we still have on our books) that they weren't wanted after being at the club for little more than a fortnight. I'm all for a new manager stamping his identity on his new post, and making required changes, but it isn't unreasonable to expect that these changes would be improvements.

For a man who played in Scotland and has managed a club here previously, he seems to have very limited understanding of what is required to survive much less succeed.

Anyway, I'm saying nothing that hasn't been said before, on numerous occasions, so probably best now to simply wait and see what transpires. I just hope it can be as painless as possible.

I can't disagree with a lot of what you're written, but I still believe every manager deserves time to do the job, especially one who has been given a 3 year contract less than 3 months ago. This would be the case with any manager we appointed.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not only is his squad totally unbalanced, but his man management seems to leave a hell of a lot to be desired having told a number of players (who we still have on our books) that they weren't wanted after being at the club for little more than a fortnight. I'm all for a new manager stamping his identity on his new post, and making required changes, but it isn't unreasonable to expect that these changes would be improvements.

I think the post from the Rotherham fan says it all really. The similarities are scary.  

I do see and feel your sense of frustration at Alan Stubbs.

Us at Rotherham were upset by his appointment as we wanted an experienced manager (we turned down Gary Bowyer, Steve Mclaren and Tony Mowbray).

He brought in players who were substandard and the chairman even said he was worried about the new signings. He let both Leon Best and Matt Derbyshire go and took an eternity to bring in the ageing Dexter Blackstock. On a THREE year contract that the chairman had to pay up. He had no connection with the fans. He always sat on the bench during the game and let assistant John Doolan do the talking. There was a huge cheer when he decided to do some managing from the sides. 

He said after his last game that the players are told the same things and dont listen so he is either confusing them or they dont want to know.

We paid him off after 5 months around 350 k and Doolan went too. The team was that bad that next manager Kenny Jacket walked after 5 games.

So yes he is not management or a people person.

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

I can't disagree with a lot of what you're written, but I still believe every manager deserves time to do the job, especially one who has been given a 3 year contract less than 3 months ago. This would be the case with any manager we appointed.

That's a reasonable point, but I think some of the issues I highlighted above will be among the more pressing matters that are preoccupying our BoD this week, as opposed to any sense of what constitutes a fair crack of the whip for Stubbs from here onwards.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

The top and bottom of why Stubbzo is getting less support than his predecessor is his second name isnt Ross, and his first isnt Jack...

yeah lets sack every manager who can only win one out of four! That could be another four or five managers  this season?

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I too thought it was an improved performance on Saturday but only a very small one. You are right about the leaky defence but the midfield are leaving them very exposed!! Look at Hearts second goal on Saturday and look where the scorer runs from, absolutely nobody goes with him. We were also playing with 3 centre-halfs and wingbacks yet when you again look at the second goal we have only one centre half and our left wingback anywhere near our goal.

Just now, Drew said:

That's a reasonable point, but I think some of the issues I highlighted above will be among the more pressing matters that are preoccupying our BoD this week, as opposed to any sense of what constitutes a fair crack of the whip for Stubbs from here onwards.

The board have presided over this whole episode, so if they are now going to sack their man, they better have a damn good plan rather than another few weeks sifting through applicants. 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, St.Ricky said:

Ex Old Firm players who have become managers here are not well received it seems,  nor have they been too successful  Hay,  Craig,  Murray and Rae come to mind. 

I think their performance as St Mirren manager is the biggest factor on how well ex old firm players are received - eg Alex Ferguson seems to be fondly remembered, and Jim Goodwin is one of the more popular choices as a potential next manager despite his 1 appearance for Celtic.

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I think their performance as St Mirren manager is the biggest factor on how well ex old firm players are received - eg Alex Ferguson seems to be fondly remembered, and Jim Goodwin is one of the more popular choices as a potential next manager despite his 1 appearance for Celtic.

Struggling to think of any appointment, on my time on here, that has been well received ................. expecting the Sack Jim McIntyre/ Goodwin thread to be running by Jan 

Guest TPAFKATS
I too thought it was an improved performance on Saturday but only a very small one. You are right about the leaky defence but the midfield are leaving them very exposed!! Look at Hearts second goal on Saturday and look where the scorer runs from, absolutely nobody goes with him. We were also playing with 3 centre-halfs and wingbacks yet when you again look at the second goal we have only one centre half and our left wingback anywhere near our goal.

One of the main issues for me is the chopping and changing of the formation from game to game.
We have a number of new players who need time to gel. It's difficult to do this when the management team keep changing the two central defenders and also keep changing from a 2 to a 3. Same with the central midfielders.
Is it any wonder they don't seem to know who is marking and who is spare? Or in midfield who is holding and who isn't?

7 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I wouldn't want Jim Goodwin anywhere near the managers job , but this has nothing to do with playing for Celtic.