New European Super League

St.Ricky

It's inevitable and it will be driven by whatever fans are happy to pay for.

Do Man Utd fans want to watch them play Burnley, Wolves and Fulham or Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus?

I can see these big clubs fielding two sides - one for the financially corrupt Euro League and one for the financially corrupt home league.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's inevitable and it will be driven by whatever fans are happy to pay for.

Do Man Utd fans want to watch them play Burnley, Wolves and Fulham or Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus?

I can see these big clubs fielding two sides - one for the financially corrupt Euro League and one for the financially corrupt home league.

Correct. Colt Teams if you like. Colt teams will never happen some say. Wait. The Challenge Cup features these. Wedge, thin end ..comes to mind. But..I quite like the idea of the Super League with 2 Scottish Teams in it. Shull. .your dream may come true.

Edited by St.Ricky

It'll happen but will only be damaging to the rest. Players would aim to be Super League players so all domestic sides would get shafted more than they already do. It'll keep the big money in the mix with the big teams which won't  help domestic sides either.

And how do we judge who should gain entry? Clubs like Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and Aberdeen have had more success in Europe than Manchester City for instance, but it's likely Man City would be the ones given entry from those four. What if Newcastle United suddenly became a major force in England and racked up lots of titles, how would they gain entry to the Super League? What do clubs from smaller nations need to do to force their way in? What would need to happen for a club to be removed from the Super League? If Celtic were granted access, Sevco would want it too. But Sevco have no history and are only 6 years old, do even Morton would be more deserving of entry to this.

I think it's a pish, damaging idea but money always talks - we've seen the Champions League format change to suit the "big leagues" and shaft the rest of us. Perhaps the 40+ nations who continually get shafted from UEFA should form a breakaway European system if/when this idea goes through.

Would quickly become the same teams playing each other over and over again, same as Champions league. I believe the viewing figures for the Champions League are not particularly healthy.

Once you get to quarters it is almost exactly the same teams every year. think people would tire quickly of a European League.

5 minutes ago, guinness said:

Would quickly become the same teams playing each other over and over again, same as Champions league. I believe the viewing figures for the Champions League are not particularly healthy.

Once you get to quarters it is almost exactly the same teams every year. think people would tire quickly of a European League.

One of the reasons is BT sport not allowing ITV to show any games, unlike Sky who did before them.

I doubt a European league would really happen, Champions League fills that quite well. 

Nothing story IMO. 

Edited by faraway saint

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

One of the reasons is BT sport not allowing ITV to show any games, unlike Sky who did before them.

I doubt a European league would really happen, Champions League fills that quite well. 

Nothing story IMO. 

You could well be right F Man. 

All depends on the market for TV and how this is kept fresh and the appeal of particular clubs. 

I guess European Football started out to provide opportunities for clubs outside their domestic leagues. 

At top level this morphed into a Champions League.  UEFA has also morphed into a league format. This would be just one more change but one which guarantees even more riches to a few. 

I tend not to watch these unless a Scottish based team is playing.