Stubbs Sacked

Drew

Everyone knows wbat a complete twat you are . You think you are above everyone mentally but we all know you lack basic common sense. That's ok we a ll have faults. Unfortunately you fail the basic requirements for students. Too judgmental a twat in their comfort zone. Wake up before you supriours bring you down to earth with a BANG ! 

Comedy gold! [emoji1]

We are all Jim Spence!

Fair play to Jim. At least he, unlike many Scottish sports hacks, pundits, assorted hingers on, and fans of other clubs, doesn't claim to know our club better than we do this fine morning.

I also note that our former chairman has backed this decision 100%. We live in interesting times.

Screenshot_20180904-075803.jpg

Was concerned about Jackson when he was appointed given his coaching background was working with MacNamara at Dundee United and then Locke at Raith Rovers. Hardly a stellar CV.

According to Robert Grieve, Jackson will be as well thankfully.  https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3157567/st-mirren-job-jim-goodwin-alloa-alan-stubbs/

From reading that it also seems we made a bit of a mess handling Stubbs' departure.

9 hours ago, davidg said:

Not the long term solution but I’d be confident of Premiership survival with Gus in the dugout til the end of the season. 

I'm not supporting such a move, incidentally, but wouldn't be hugely surprised if it came to pass.

My preference is Jim Goodwin with an experienced wing man. I know others feel it is too soon for him, etc, but he is my pick. Genuinely passionate about the club, and is an articulate man who would pull us together for the battle ahead. A proven leader and an all round handsome bastard!:)

What could possibly go wrong....

12 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Very surprised

I doubt it’s just about results, must be other issues behind the scenes.

Might explain lack of signings towards end of transfer window.

Penny finally dropped for you mate, of course it had more to do with just results.

Guest TPAFKATS
We are all Jim Spence!
Fair play to Jim. At least he, unlike many Scottish sports hacks, pundits, assorted hingers on, and fans of other clubs, doesn't claim to know our club better than we do this fine morning.
I also note that our former chairman has backed this decision 100%. We live in interesting times.
Screenshot_20180904-075803.thumb.jpg.7f0ad7bb6454f482923e26d479039a4e.jpg
A load of replies to spencey's tweet from obsessed sellik fans assuming he was talking about Gerrard at sevco [emoji3]

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Comedy gold! emoji1.png

Just a few days ago he was wittering on about not being one for dishing out personal abuse (at least I think he was - his posts are usually virtually unreadable - almost as though he was typing using his entire fist) and then quicker than quick he changes his mind with that drug fuelled cracker.:lol:

Edited by oaksoft

The only thing I can muster in Stubbs' defence is that he clearly had targets in mind that have not panned out for whatever reason. Now, they might have been shit - Stokes* - but he was clearly under the impression that more quality was on its way in, and it didn't happen. 

Where the blame lies - scouting, our wage structure, Stubbs' own inability to sell the club to targets - I don't know, but we've clearly had interest in a lot of decent players that haven't arrived. What is unforgivable, though, is a failure to push things through and/or move on quickly when those targets didn't pan out. 

If the stories coming out are true, then I suspect the BoD has known it's made a mistake from a very early stage. It gave him the bare minimum time to see if there was some sort of method in his madness. When it transpired there really wasn't - and that the players hated him - he got the bullet.

* I bet most of us would love to see Stokes up front for us now, though.

10 hours ago, magnus said:

Disagree Oaksoft. This looks like a scout explaining the challenges in signing players at SMFC. It's an insight that might manage expectations.

There is every chance this scout guy was hired prior to Stubbs coming in. He seems like he's based on a different country and scouts in other countries. It's possible Stubbs and co were not interested in using an overseas coach and used their own knowledge of down south and their own contacts. Jackson used to be a scout for Blackburn afterall, prior to coming to us .

Was concerned about Jackson when he was appointed given his coaching background was working with MacNamara at Dundee United and then Locke at Raith Rovers. Hardly a stellar CV.
According to Robert Grieve, Jackson will be as well thankfully.  https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3157567/st-mirren-job-jim-goodwin-alloa-alan-stubbs/
From reading that it also seems we made a bit of a mess handling Stubbs' departure.

Ah , the good old sun. So yesterday they said McIntyre had already been lined up and today that’s not true .
That report is simply a rehash of tweets and rumours.

7 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

The only thing I can muster in Stubbs' defence is that he clearly had targets in mind that have not panned out for whatever reason. Now, they might have been shit - Stokes* - but he was clearly under the impression that more quality was on its way in, and it didn't happen. 

Where the blame lies - scouting, our wage structure, Stubbs' own inability to sell the club to targets - I don't know, but we've clearly had interest in a lot of decent players that haven't arrived. What is unforgivable, though, is a failure to push things through and/or move on quickly when those targets didn't pan out. 

If the stories coming out are true, then I suspect the BoD has known it's made a mistake from a very early stage. It gave him the bare minimum time to see if there was some sort of method in his madness. When it transpired there really wasn't - and that the players hated him - he got the bullet.

* I bet most of us would love to see Stokes up front for us now, though.

Agree with this, we need to have a proper look at the overall management structure and infrastructure at the club.  We should have a list of players we are scouting and any new managerial appointments should be asked for their opinion on them. This would surely allow us to rebuild the team much faster when required and also be wary of potential managers that say "I wouldn't be interested in those guys, I am going to bring in a load of part time pish from the English seaside leagues and guys on the fringes of Premiership reserve teams"

A club like ours should have been trying to sign up the cream of the crop from the Championship as we moved towards the title, guys like Liam Polworth at ICT.  I'd rather we hand over transfer fees on players we know we can resell rather than these massive gambles from down south that don't seem to work. (I am think Tommy Craig era as well here)

St Johnstone seem to be able to move from manager to manager with little disruption, and Inverness had a decent run at it for a while.  We seem to lurch from disaster to disaster, JR aside, and that is even with a complete change of board and CEO!

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

St Johnstone seem to be able to move from manager to manager with little disruption, and Inverness had a decent run at it for a while.  We seem to lurch from disaster to disaster, JR aside, and that is even with a complete change of board and CEO!

In fairness, the current BoD have made one (very) poor appointment.

The measure of any organisation - and any individual - is the extent to which they learn from their mistakes. This has been a sorry, embarrassing, and expensive episode, and I expect the BoD to learn from it and kick on.

I back their decision to bag Stubbs 100%. They acted swiftly and decisively, and deserve credit for that. The next decision is absolutely critical, and we all need to hope that they call it correctly also.

We need a leader in who can lift the players and the support. Probably someone who is a big character, but not just all about platitudes and empty gestures. Someone of substance to galvanise the club.

It won't be a straightforward process finding someone who fits the bill, but they have managed it before, so we need to hope that they can do so again.

The roller-coaster ride continues, but at least the bolts on the wheels of the carriage have been tightened.

9 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Not giving Stubbs free reign on his targets would’ve been unfair and shown a complete lack of trust from the board, this would’ve put strain on their working relationship before it had even begun.

He had to be given a chance to bring in his own guys and we had to trust he could spot a player. He was given that chance and it transpired he couldn’t spot a footballer if one skelped him in the face, to put it bluntly!

End (correct) result = Bye Stubbsy

I'm in some agreement with that W6 but not totally. If you interview someone, give them a job on the basis of that interview and they then massively deviate from the plan they secured the job on then you have to ask questions. Anything else would be a dereliction of duty as a director. My guess, and it's only that, was that his recruitment wasn't brought to check quickly enough. It may even have helped!! 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Aint that the truth! 

Looks like Stubbzo held their hands to the fire and made them wince.

25 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Looked through some of interviews of Stubbs from the beginning of his time at the club.

Guy never looked excited to be here. Don’t think he was up for it.

I was doing the same. Hindsight's 20/20 but there were definitely some early warning signs. That infamous 'marquee signing' interview after the Killie game will provide much of his epitaph, IMO.

Ah, Stubbsy, Stubbsy, Stubbsy - where did it all go wrong?

For me the warning signs first flashed when after a much documented discussion with JR it became clear that none of the latter's targets would be arriving, this when we all knew we needed plenty of arrivals PDQ. Whether Stubbs dinged them or they got cold feet is an answer I'd love to know, but suspect I never will.

Next was Stubbs belief that the V9 graduates plus English youth players with little or no first team experience would be good enough to cut it in the Scottish top flight, which he eventually seemed to realize was a mistake but by then, as drew (and GLS) said it was too little, too late.

Some shocking body language in the dugout during the last two games wouldn't have helped, lesson to the next manager - keep it inside!

Never sure if he was 110% committed to the job and he goes with a shattered reputation (except with ex-OF hacks) and unlikely to manage again.

So long and thanks for the fish

Edited by Bud the Baker

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Ah, Stubbsy, Stubbsy, Stubbsy - where did it all go wrong?

For me the warning signs first flashed when after a much documented discussion with JR it became clear that none of the latter's targets would be arriving, this when we all knew we needed plenty of arrivals PDQ. Whether Stubbs dinged them or they got cold feet is an answer I'd love to know, but suspect I never will.

Next was Stubbs initial belief that the V9 graduates plus English youth players with little or no first team experience would be good enough to cut it in the Scottish top flight, which he eventually seemed to realize was a mistake but by then, as drew (and GLS) said it was too little, too late.

Some shocking body language in the dugout during the last two games wouldn't have helped, lesson to the next manager - keep it inside!

Never sure if he was 110% committed to the job and he goes with a shattered reputation (except with ex-OF acks) and unlikely to manage again.

So long and thanks for the fish

Imagine his next Interview- Ok apart from Rotherham, St Mirren, BT Sport Leaving Hibs on a Cup win but still in the Championship, and Darren Jackson I think my record speaks for itself ....

56 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I was doing the same. Hindsight's 20/20 but there were definitely some early warning signs. That infamous 'marquee signing' interview after the Killie game will provide much of his epitaph, IMO.

Many applauded his post-match interview where he spoke more about the things he wasn't happy with and the improvements needed. Arguably he had few other opportunities to praise the players efforts and performance again!