Stubbs Sacked

Drew

Was shocked when I heard the news last night, mainly due to Stubbs having a 3 year contract, but having time to think about it, it has to be the right call.
I was initially positive about his appointment, so can’t be too critical of the BoD. They made a mistake, especially the length of contract, but they have acted quickly and are trying to fix it ASAP. He’s left some mess behind for whatever brave soul comes in to sort it.
Can’t think of anything positive about Stubbs’ time with us. His shocking recruitment and the horrendous organisation of the team, especially at the back was embarrassing. We can only speculate what things were like in the changing room, but it looked like he’d completely lost any connection or bond with the players, if he ever had one. Seems to have been a polar opposite from Jack Ross.
His body language and lack of energy was really poor and he reminded me of Rae, not taking responsibility for the team’s shortcomings and blaming it all on the players. His heart never seemed in it and he looked totally out of his depth; clueless.
Jim McIntyre for me, to replace him. Good experience and unlucky to get the bullet at County. Was really worried that Utd would get him last season as McKinnon’s replacement.
My overall feeling, now he’s gone is relief.
Onwards and upwards.
I feel sorry for Stubbs. However, I also feel for his signings. They are not all bad, and now have to prove themselves to a new manager.
I expect a good few of them to excel under a new manger.
And we will avoid relegation

47 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I have no-one on block and i can confirm none of you lot get me angry in the slightest, it's only a football forum.

Oh I am with you on this. Can't understand the mentality of having most of the forum on ignore, repeatedly telling everyone that is what you have done  and trying to persuade others to do the same. If that was me, I'd just pack up, f**k off from the forum and do something else with my life but each to their own I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Mackenzie, Eckersley & McShane must be in the next starting line otherwise the new manager will be ripping the heart out out the Championship winning side.

Mack & Eck wheeled on on their op tables with McShane in the heart of midfield.

emoji1.png

Who wouldn't enjoy the sight of both Mac and Eck being wheeled around attempting to whack Celtic's strikers with their bedpans as they went past them.

Admit it.

You are picturing it now aren't you?

Can you hear the commentator describing the action and how Griffiths just narrowly avoiding a full facial as he slots in number 3?

You're welcome!

Edited by oaksoft

4 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Mackenzie, Eckersley & McShane must be in the next starting line otherwise the new manager will be ripping the heart out out the Championship winning side.

emoji1.png

Joking apart, I'm assuming you are joking, those 3 could well be back in the squad soon and playing their part in getting us up the league table.

Mr McCall carries an awful lot of baggage from his earlier days in Glasgow.  Seems to be a bit of a changed man, Ayr Utd took him on when no one else would touch him (and  his baggage). He showed great loyalty to them when offered the Falkirk job and he had ties to Falkirk.

Jim Duffy is a name not mentioned yet.  Know he was at Morton..  but great experience, shrewd operator, thought he was really unlucky to lose his job in Greenock.   Would love to see Paul Lambert..  but suspect we couldn’t even afford his petrol money without a billy Bowie to help bankroll. 

Wouldn’t feel too sorry for Mr Stubbs, suspect his payoff has been handsome.. more than most of us will make for 80 days of work.  

BoD need to get this right.  Someone like jack Ross comes along once in a generation at our level..  but we’ve made more bad choices than good in recent years.  Mr Stubbs was the choice of this BoD what was the phrase “the outstanding candidate” .....I know a few Rotherham fans through work, they all mocked when we recruited him and told me tales of broken dressing rooms, terrible signings and no structure to play..   This suggests that the board did not do their due diligence correctly.   They need to do better this time.  When Mr Stubbs came in, he had a great landscape to work with -  it needed tweaked not stripped down.  The next guy has an absolute mess to clean up, with no transfer window, probably not a lot of cash and a squad that’s not shown much so far.   It needs to be someone with experience and character.  

Im not sure about Jim McIntyre, but don’t know too much about him.  Not sure what he brings to the table.  Jim Goodwin was a legend.. but maybe too soon for him?  Gus...  the fact he’s not been snapped up by anyone else in the last few years suggests he’s not regarded as a great catch..  

Suppose there’s always a bright side...  if we’d signed Kenny Miller last week..  he’d probably be player / manager by now..  lucky escape?  

52 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm not speculating. My post wasn't a reference to him possibly being a candidate for the job, just an observation.

If you listened to him talk, however, he far from distanced himself from the option, were it to be available.

Sorry Drew I was stopping myself speculating. I recall last time he wasn't interested. If he is now then I think he is someone that could do well with us.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:56 PM, TopCat said:
On 9/3/2018 at 8:46 PM, Drew said:
Please tell me that you don't really think this.
Of course there can be numerous other reasons why he would be sacked, and I suspect that several apply in this context.
This wasn't just about the results of football matches, much less one match. If you genuinely believe anything else, you are beyond hope.
As it goes, I think you are trolling. Poorly.

So you’re saying he would have been sacked had we currently been on six points, and in sixth place above Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen?

That's not what he said TC,  perhaps your brain reads things in English and translates it into Unwinese.  B)

23 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

emoji1.png

And after we get gubbed in that game, the new manager will get slaughtered for ever giving these guys a chance  :lol:

"Even Stubbsy knew they were shite!"

1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I have no-one on block and i can confirm none of you lot get me angry in the slightest, it's only a football forum.

Same here. Even the most irritating of posters occasionally post something useful or decent.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, Kemp said:

Jackson will certainly go, as he is probably the root cause of the unrest in the dressing room.

Correct call, Stubbs had no idea how to recruit players or organise a team properly.

I've had a go at Gordon Scott before, so fair play for biting the bullet so quickly.

Yes, Yes and yes good man

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

And after we get gubbed in that game, the new manager will get slaughtered for ever giving these guys a chance  :lol:

"Even Stubbsy knew they were shite!"

Same here. Even the most irritating of posters occasionally post something useful or decent.

Same here, although still waiting on yours. :P

36 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

emoji1.png

Aye, so you keep saying.  At the end of the day if you only inherit 16 players before the transfer window opens and finish the same window with only 7 out of the original 16 who have not been sold or told they are welcome to find a new club as they aren't in your plans then that's over half the players you started with either been sold or encouraged to leave. Out of the 7 players left  its' questionable to what degree Stubbs rated Stephen McGinn, Jordan Kirkpatrick was injured for most of the Stubbs era, Cammy MacPherson was a fringe player (dropped after a great start at Killie). The player Stubbs was most enthusiastic about during his time at the club was possibly John McGinn as he phoned round English clubs trying to encourage them to outbid Celtic and waxing lyrical about what a great talent he is - shame he wasn't lining up any decent transfers in and also a shame he wasn't able to wax lyrical about members of the current team.

The issue with MacKenzie, Eckersley and McShane was he never signed anyone better than players who he judged were not up to the job and by telling them so soon after his arrival they could leave it was bound to have an affect on the morale of last year's players alongside other colleagues having deals withdrawn and going out the door.

Jack Ross had a knack for keeping the fringe players happy and part of things. The way Stubbs handled MacKenzie, Eckersley and McShane and failed to move them on was an early sign he was going to have an unhappy dressing room. 

One of the most telling photos of the season is still the players watching the penalty shoot out at Killie, new arrivals in one clique, 'homegrown' players in another clique.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

On 9/3/2018 at 8:40 PM, DougJamie said:
On 9/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, TopCat said:

Definitely one of the most embarrassing episodes in the clubs history.

Taking Stubbs out the equation here. Cause I and many others didn’t think he was the right man for the job at the time, but that’s beside the point.

What’s happened here is the club has went through a lengthy and apparently thorough recruitment process in the summer. Four managers made final interview and then one was picked.

We then get through the league cup group stage for the first time ever and beat Dundee in our first game. We then have expected losses at Ibrox and Pittodrie.

Essentially he’s been sacked because one game, the home loss to Livingston. There can be no other reason. If he wins that we’d be in the top six and he couldn’t be sacked.

What message does that send out? If the next manager loses 3 of his first 4 games (as is pretty likely looking at the fixtures) will he be sacked too?

I think who comes out of this whole sorry episode looking the worst isn’t Stubbs. It’s Scott, Fitzpatrick and the rest of the board.

If they’re going to give a manager (any manager) a 3 year deal in June you can’t be sacking him less than 3 months later.

Both Fitzpatrick and Scott should seriously be considering their positions this evening. By sacking Stubbs they’ve done nothing else but admit their complete incompetence when it comes to running a football club and recruiting managers. How can we as a club trust them to appoint the next one?

Sack the board.

Start a thread :whistle

Or get a life  :lol:

On 9/3/2018 at 8:40 PM, St.Ricky said:
On 9/3/2018 at 8:15 PM, BanburyBud said:

Maybe the right call, maybe not. I don’t know and respect to everyone’s opinions for and against.
Can’t help but think how this reflects on the club.
Three of the last four managers have been a disaster.... the successful one couldn’t get out quick enough.
Historically when we are on the cusp of something good our club has a terrible tendency to self combust.
I know Stubbs clearly got wrong, the board have a lot to answer for.....
So to the next chapter

Excellent post. 

Really! why?  all it does is state the obvious; coal is black snow is white.  I mean Mibees aye Mibees naw and I respect everybody's opinion Really!

How other than it is; did he think it would reflect on the club, was there an option? Did we choose the wrong way to Fire Stubbs?  Really!

Three of the last four managers have been a disaster.... the successful one couldn’t get out quick enough. Wow! impressed, I think we all had forgot that.  Thanks for the reminder. Really!

Historically when we are on the cusp of something good our club has a terrible tendency to self combust.   DITTO Really!

I know Stubbs clearly got wrong, the board have a lot to answer for.....  Actually the owner was responsible for the the problem but he took it on the chin and sorted it. Problem?

So to the next chapter.  it's needs to be more blooming interesting than this one.........REALLY!

On 9/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, FTOF said:

Indeed.

TC is even more deluded than his posts suggest if he thinks the dismissal was down to one game.

However, he is correct that it is rather embarrassing that Stubbs was appointed in the first place.

If McIntyre does get the gig an is a success, I'll be first to admit that I was wrong.

Although I have heard another name being mentioned as our new manager.

Yerrrrrrrrs?

6 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Really! why?  all it does is state the obvious; coal is black snow is white.  I mean Mibees aye Mibees naw and I respect everybody's opinion Really!

How other than it is; did he think it would reflect on the club, was there an option? Did we choose the wrong way to Fire Stubbs?  Really!

Three of the last four managers have been a disaster.... the successful one couldn’t get out quick enough. Wow! impressed, I think we all had forgot that.  Thanks for the reminder. Really!

Historically when we are on the cusp of something good our club has a terrible tendency to self combust.   DITTO Really!

I know Stubbs clearly got wrong, the board have a lot to answer for.....  Actually the owner was responsible for the the problem but he took it on the chin and sorted it. Problem?

So to the next chapter.  it's needs to be more blooming interesting than this one.........REALLY!

Really don't get why you are so uptight. As you said..stating the obvious. And yes...onto the next exciting chapter of the Saint Mirren story. I am looking forward to it.

Edited by St.Ricky