Stubbs Sacked

Drew

39 minutes ago, magnus said:

Sorry Drew I was stopping myself speculating. I recall last time he wasn't interested. If he is now then I think he is someone that could do well with us.

Know what, I actually think we could do a lot worse.

McCall seems to be able to knit together a decent squad of players on a limited budget, and is a pretty level headed guy despite the pantomime villain persona he carries about with him.

His players appear to demonstrate a fair degree of loyalty to him also, and that is always a plus.

Not one to discount too readily, perhaps.

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Really don't get why you are so uptight. As you said..stating the obvious. And yes...onto the next exciting chapter of the Saint Mirren story. I am looking forward to it.

The reason why I commented upon what was said was simply because a Forum is about expressing opinions and arguing why this or that; or conversely why not this or that. You misconstrue my intention, in that it was not offered because what was said made me 'uptight' it was more to do with the banality of what he said than anything else.  I tend to comment on posts that I believe to be  wrong or misinformed or a waste of space, there really was nothing in that post that warranted the 'hypothetical' waste of ink and whilst I am aware that you are very non confrontational in what you post or how you challenge other posters, I don't have to be quite as 'nice'.  I don't believe I was rudel I simply expressed an opinion upon what was posted

31 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Aye, so you keep saying.  At the end of the day if you only inherit 16 players before the transfer window opens and finish the same window with only 7 out of the original 16 who have not been sold or told they are welcome to find a new club as they aren't in your plans then that's over half the players you started with either been sold or encouraged to leave. Out of the 7 players left  its' questionable to what degree Stubbs rated Stephen McGinn, Jordan Kirkpatrick was injured for most of the Stubbs era, Cammy MacPherson was a fringe player (dropped after a great start at Killie). The player Stubbs was most enthusiastic about during his time at the club was possibly John McGinn as he phoned round English clubs trying to encourage them to outbid Celtic and waxing lyrical about what a great talent he is - shame he wasn't lining up any decent transfers in and also a shame he wasn't able to wax lyrical about members of the current team.

The issue with MacKenzie, Eckersley and McShane was he never signed anyone better than players who he judged were not up to the job and by telling them so soon after his arrival they could leave it was bound to have an affect on the morale of last year's players alongside other colleagues having deals withdrawn and going out the door.

Jack Ross had a knack for keeping the fringe players happy and part of things. The way Stubbs handled MacKenzie, Eckersley and McShane and failed to move them on was an early sign he was going to have an unhappy dressing room. 

One of the most telling photos of the season is still the players watching the penalty shoot out at Killie, new arrivals in one clique, 'homegrown' players in another clique.

I've told you before. I've no intention of reading your novels! :P

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Know what, I actually think we could do a lot worse.

McCall seems to be able to knit together a decent squad of players on a limited budget, and is a pretty level headed guy despite the pantomime villain persona he carries about with him.

His players appear to demonstrate a fair degree of loyalty to him also, and that is always a plus.

Not one to discount too readily, perhaps.

Guy that works with me supports Ayr and loves the way McCall has got them playing. I remember a while back McCall referred to Paisley as a right good football town. I've liked him ever since. 

Just now, magnus said:

Guy that works with me supports Ayr and loves the way McCall has got them playing. I remember a while back McCall referred to Paisley as a right good football town. I've liked him ever since. 

He spoke very well tonight, and, despite the pelters he gets from us when he comes to Paisley, really talked the club up.

To be honest, I hadn't even considered him as an option prior to listening to that tonight. I'm now leaning a bit towards thinking he should be considered for the job.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

He spoke very well tonight, and, despite the pelters he gets from us when he comes to Paisley, really talked the club up.

To be honest, I hadn't even considered him as an option prior to listening to that tonight. I'm now leaning a bit towards thinking he should be considered for the job.

I would be happy with him in charge. He could easily go from panto villain to firm favourite. 

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

Just as well he hasn't got Radio Scotland on fecking ignore.

14 hours ago, Drew said:

I'm not supporting such a move, incidentally, but wouldn't be hugely surprised if it came to pass.

My preference is Jim Goodwin with an experienced wing man. I know others feel it is too soon for him, etc, but he is my pick. Genuinely passionate about the club, and is an articulate man who would pull us together for the battle ahead. A proven leader and an all round handsome bastard!:)

What could possibly go wrong....

Entirely agree re Jim Goodwin and I hadn't thought of an experienced wing man, so well done you.  I think the enthusiasm and passion that he shows is' at the moment' infinitely more important than other factors and he would get my vote.  :rolleyes:

Oh well, now that's he's gone I can reveal that the reason he lost the dressing room was this...
Apparently he told the players they might as well throw their league winners medals in the bin because last season they were a one-man team (Lewis Morgan) and now he was gone.
I hope that wasnt true.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

McCall got Ayr relegated.

Its a no from me!

I like the Gary Naysmith suggestion though. Decent record and no baggage!

Jack Ross was a bawhair away from getting us relegated, and also got us promoted. Ayr look in very good shape this season - maybe a lesson in giving managers time (Stubbs an exception to that).

7 hours ago, jaybee said:

Entirely agree re Jim Goodwin and I hadn't thought of an experienced wing man, so well done you.  I think the enthusiasm and passion that he shows is' at the moment' infinitely more important than other factors and he would get my vote.  :rolleyes:

Saw highlights of the Alloa game and Goodwin has them playing well , McCall would also be a decent shout . Would make sense to get a guy in who can get the players onside , and who could also work with the current coaching staff . 

30 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

I support St Mirren, but how funny would it be if Alan got another gig with another team and they were a big success.

hahahahahahahaha.......

They come to St Mirren Park and thrash us

hahahahahahahaha......

poetic justice 

hahahahahahahaha......

aw the AS haters an soor faces wid be greetin in their cornflakes 

hahahahahahahaha......

cannae wait

WTF,........let it go Alan, it's over, be gone with you!

47 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Saw highlights of the Alloa game and Goodwin has them playing well , McCall would also be a decent shout . Would make sense to get a guy in who can get the players onside , and who could also work with the current coaching staff . 

Have watched Alloa a couple of times and agree.  A big fan of Goody but ether name works for me.  Additional thought regarding McCall.  Shankland in January? 

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

I support St Mirren, but how funny would it be if Alan got another gig with another team and they were a big success.

hahahahahahahaha.......

hahahahahahahaha......

poetic justice 

hahahahahahahaha......

hahahahahahahaha......

cannae wait

That's not going to happen because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. 

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

hahahahahahahaha.......

hahahahahahahaha......

poetic justice 

hahahahahahahaha......

hahahahahahahaha......

cannae wait

I would imagine Stubbs managerial career is finished....at least in Scotland.

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

McCall was on off the ball when Ross left I sent in a text to the show to ask if McCall  would like the job. He gave a firm NO , don't think he likes us.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint