So what now for SMFC?

Took a step back last night when the confirmation came through our manager had been sacked after four league games. It seems the co-ordinated campaign to de-stabilise him with leak, after leak from players, directors and staff got the result they wanted? And please, dont insult either your, or my intelligence sugesting this wasnt a club endorsed approach to build up an Anti Stubbs mob, so the board could make it look like they were getting it right by eventually sacking him.

this shit-strewn type of dirty campaign has been run by clubs before, including ours, and always comes with a much higher cost than those who endorsed and encouraged it ever conceive. So what now? Whats the club strategy now they have succeeded in smearing their own employee?

looking for a new manager? Well yes someone will always take the job, its a job at the end of the day. Question is..? What manager worth their salt will be really interested now? So far names bandied about are Gus Mc Pherson who has just had his team relegated to league two. Then their is club legend Jim Goodwin whose recently promoted Alloa are no better off than us, in a lower league (i wonder if his bosses& players are trying to oust him?). And the other name mentioned is Jim McIntyre, who in his last job won just TWO of his first NINETEEN games in this very league..!

honest opinions, does anyone see either of those three gents being able to lead us to the promised land of Premiership survival given, they will have to work with the self same group of players their predecessor did? I mean if the players dont like the next guy, (Gus and McIntyre suffered this at our club and county) will he be gone after three, four, five defeats..?

and what of this squad? The 'DownToolers'... not exactly covered themselves in glory with their attitudes, whining, performances and finger-pointing. We've had the captain no less, in the media blaming all the new recruits for our poor performances..! Nice to see, like his former manager he's got his teammates backs..! What i think may now be taken out of the club, and players hands is one or more of the loaning clubs taking their players back, as the set up the originally agreed to loan into has changed drastically with the departure of the high level coach (Stubbs) they intrusted their player to.

it was interesting to read on here last night, after the confirmation of Stubbs departure, a more considered group of posters showing genuine concern as to where the club, under this board is heading. Their is a growing concern the board are non-functioning, reactive, poor decision makers and completely lacking in self-belief. How else do you explain the circus around Ross trying almost all of last season to get another job? Feck me he was never off the motorways of the UK taking interviews. Then the drawn out process to replace him, with the board assuring us that in Stubbs... they had found their man. They said;

Stubbs was the "standout candidate".

"He fits in perfectly with the philosophy of the club of promoting young players throughout the team,". "Our youth policy is vital to us and he'll be able to bring those players on.

"He's a fantastic coach, great man manager. He's also got a great presence and I think he will be successful here.

"He's someone the fans will take to and they will get a real lift. He's a well known name and he's a really good person. It's a fantastic fit for the football club."

this after interviewing McIntyre, Caldwell and Kearney...

how could they get it all so completely wrong? Did Stubbs have Mourinho do the interviews for him?

this board need hunting, i dont think its a coincidence that David Nicol the Smisa rep is standing down early. If he's seen through their collective failings, and smear tactics i wouldnt blame him for letting some other poor bugger have to keep their mouths shut for fearnof swallowing the shit they are shoulder deep in.

Edited by Lord Pityme

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Took a step back last night when the confirmation came through our manager had been sacked after four league games. It seems the co-ordinated campaign to de-stabilise him with leak, after leak from players, directors and staff got the result they wanted? And please, dont insult either your, or my intelligence sugesting this wasnt a club endorsed approach to build up an Anti Stubbs mob, so the board could make it look like they were getting it right by eventually sacking him.

this shit-strewn type of dirty campaign has been run by clubs before, including ours, and always comes with a much higher cost than those who endorsed and encouraged it ever conceive. So what now? Whats the club strategy now they have succeeded in smearing their own employee?

looking for a new manager? Well yes someone will always take the job, its a job at the end of the day. Question is..? What manager worth their salt will be really interested now? So far names bandied about are Gus Mc Pherson who has just had his team relegated to league two. Then their is club legend Jim Goodwin whose recently promoted Alloa are no better off than us, in a lower league (i wonder if his bosses& players are trying to oust him?). And the other name mentioned is Jim McIntyre, who in his last job won just TWO of his first NINETEEN games in this very league..!

honest opinions, does anyone see either of those three gents being able to lead us to the promised land of Premiership survival given, they will have to work with the self same group of players their predecessor did? I mean if the players dont like the next guy, (Gus and McIntyre suffered this at our club and county) will he be gone after three, four, five defeats..?

and what of this squad? The 'DownToolers'... not exactly covered themselves in glory with their attitudes, whining, performances and finger-pointing. We've had the captain no less, in the media blaming all the new recruits for our poor performances..! Nice to see, like his former manager he's got his teammates backs..! What i think may now be taken out of the club, and players hands is one or more of the loaning clubs taking their players back, as the set up the originally agreed to loan into has changed drastically with the departure of the high level coach (Stubbs) they intrusted their player to.

it was interesting to read on here last night, after the confirmation of Stubbs departure, a more considered group of posters showing genuine concern as to where the club, under this board is heading. Their is a growing concern the board are non-functioning, reactive, poor decision makers and completely lacking in self-belief. How else do you explain the circus around Ross trying almost all of last season to get another job? Feck me he was never off the motorways of the UK taking interviews. Then the drawn out process to replace him, with the board assuring us that in Stubbs... they had found their man. They said;

"He fits in perfectly with the philosophy of the club of promoting young players throughout the team,". "Our youth policy is vital to us and he'll be able to bring those players on.

"He's a fantastic coach, great man manager. He's also got a great presence and I think he will be successful here.

"He's someone the fans will take to and they will get a real lift. He's a well known name and he's a really good person. It's a fantastic fit for the football club."

how could they get it all so completely wrong? Did Stubbs have Mourinho do the interviews for him?

this board need hunting, i dont think its a coincidence that David Nicol the Smisa rep is standing down early. If he's seen through their collective failings, and smear tactics i wouldnt blame him for letting some other poor bugger have to keep their mouths shut for fearnof swallowing the shit they are shoulder deep in.

Excellent post, Sir.

20 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Interviews are one thing, it works both ways ....... How did they get it wrong ? Well they got in wrong because....

• Stubbs started off by looking at players that were substandard to what was required 
  • Stubbs clearly got it wrong with his recruitment of coach- that raised many eyebrows when it happened
  • Stubbs no doubt talked of his links with Everton ? See any Everton Loanees?
  • Stubbs as early as Spartans game was openly criticizing  the players...... I seem to remember it was S McGinn that was leading all over the park... and saved what would have been the most embarrassing defeat in our history
  • Stubbs mentioned marquees- at no point was this reality just fantasy, sure deals get lost, but we had no names- Like TCs piece of paper
  • Well bar Kenny Miller a 38 year old has been , and Stubbs mentioned him as a huge target-  Miller lives in Mearns , quite closer to Paisley than Dundee, you work out the reasons?
  • Livi game- sure we can all have bad games, but to hide away with his head in his hands ala Ally McLeod is farcical ... after game blames players
  • Rangers game shocking, Aberdeen and Hearts take foot off gas other wise we were looking at 6,7 or 8 goal drubbings
  • After Hearts game, blames players collectively

Its not ideal, its not good, and yes I think all of us don't like the situation, but to be fair, quite a few on here called it very early, and I must admit after Livi, it just felt wrong. It felt Tommy Craig wrong ?

Obviously the Chairman saw the above as well and here we are.......

I do agree that a 3 year contract was wrong, not for a yoyo club like ours...... and lets see what contract the next manager  gets. I doubt it will be 3 , if it is..... we do need answers

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Interviews are one thing, it works both ways ....... How did they get it wrong ? Well they got in wrong because....

• Stubbs started off by looking at players that were substandard to what was required 
  • Stubbs clearly got it wrong with his recruitment of coach- that raised many eyebrows when it happened
  • Stubbs no doubt talked of his links with Everton ? See any Everton Loanees?
  • Stubbs as early as Spartans game was openly criticizing  the players...... I seem to remember it was S McGinn that was leading all over the park... and saved what would have been the most embarrassing defeat in our history
  • Stubbs mentioned marquees- at no point was this reality just fantasy, sure deals get lost, but we had no names- Like TCs piece of paper
  • Well bar Kenny Miller a 38 year old has been , and Stubbs mentioned him as a huge target-  Miller lives in Mearns , quite closer to Paisley than Dundee, you work out the reasons?
  • Livi game- sure we can all have bad games, but to hide away with his head in his hands ala Ally McLeod is farcical ... after game blames players
  • Rangers game shocking, Aberdeen and Hearts take foot off gas other wise we were looking at 6,7 or 8 goal drubbings
  • After Hearts game, blames players collectively

Its not ideal, its not good, and yes I think all of us don't like the situation, but to be fair, quite a few on here called it very early, and I must admit after Livi, it just felt wrong. It felt Tommy Craig wrong ?

Obviously the Chairman saw the above as well and here we are.......

I do agree that a 3 year contract was wrong, not for a yoyo club like ours...... and lets see what contract the next manager  gets. I doubt it will be 3 , if it is..... we do need answers

Correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't it FIVE othr people who gave Alan Stubbs the job, and not Stubbs himself?

five people have f**ked this up, and they are running away from taking responsibility for the catastrophe financially and with the clubs future they created.

34 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't it FIVE othr people who gave Alan Stubbs the job, and not Stubbs himself?

five people have f**ked this up, and they are running away from taking responsibility for the catastrophe financially and with the clubs future they created.

The whole point of responsibility is to be responsible for your actions, so they have acted .................. LIKE MOST THINGS YOURE NOT GETTING THIS

Never a fan of Stubbs , but those who appointed him need to take some responsibility  for not doing their homework , Think we were a bit trigger happy to sack him ,  more because of the cost implications , and the fact that the squad we have now is can't really be drastically changed until the next transfer window . But most of all disappointed with the attitude of the senior players  who failed to support Stubbs . My main fear is double relegation , so its important motto be throwing our money away needlessly .

2 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Never a fan of Stubbs , but those who appointed him need to take some responsibility  for not doing their homework , Think we were a bit trigger happy to sack him ,  more because of the cost implications , and the fact that the squad we have now is can't really be drastically changed until the next transfer window . But most of all disappointed with the attitude of the senior players  who failed to support Stubbs . My main fear is double relegation , so its important motto be throwing our money away needlessly .

MenstrieSaint, I disagree with your opinion that the chairman was trigger happy. You just don't make a decision that is going to cost St Mirren a six-figure sum on a whim. GLS has realised that Stubbs has taken just 12 weeks to drag St Mirren from the great high of winning the Championship to the precipice of disaster and, despite the financial consequences, he has taken the action that was necessary at the appropriate time. With 34 league games to play we still have a chance to bring someone experienced in to re-build and re-establish ourselves in the Premiership. To have delayed would only make our position even more perilous.

As to "What now for SMFC ?", we move forward with our fans (and Scottish football) left in no doubt that we have a chairman with balls who prefers to act rather than bury his head in the sand.

COYS !!!

LPM this is exactly my thoughts. Superb post. However, while I agree 100% with you, it is what it is. A shameful episode that must have a line drawn under it. I don’t envy Jim McIntyre’s position, assuming he gets the job. We can only hope that the backstabbing and infighting ends and the club gets on with what it’s supposed to do, play football.

57 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

MenstrieSaint, I disagree with your opinion that the chairman was trigger happy. You just don't make a decision that is going to cost St Mirren a six-figure sum on a whim. GLS has realised that Stubbs has taken just 12 weeks to drag St Mirren from the great high of winning the Championship to the precipice of disaster and, despite the financial consequences, he has taken the action that was necessary at the appropriate time. With 34 league games to play we still have a chance to bring someone experienced in to re-build and re-establish ourselves in the Premiership. To have delayed would only make our position even more perilous.

As to "What now for SMFC ?", we move forward with our fans (and Scottish football) left in no doubt that we have a chairman with balls who prefers to act rather than bury his head in the sand.

COYS !!!

The Balls..?

what to leak stories of unhappy players, who had actually downed tools?

to run a smear campaign against your own manager, and by definition, your own f**king club?

to hope your smear campaign de-stabilises your manager to such a degree that, when you sack him, (even though you made the catastrophic appointment) you get the fans to swallow that you are the knight in shining armour, riding in to save the day.... but hold on! You created the mess, and then ran a smear campaign to try and cover uo your shit-fest..!

if he had the balls you talk about, he would have treated his manager, his players the support and club with respect and told him straight to his face! No whispering, shit spreading smear campaign. Just straight talking. Did anyone at the club do that? Like f**k they did.

What next for St. Mirren? Relegation probably, unless we find another miracle worker like Jack Ross.  I've managed loads of staff and sometimes you can be conned at interview, it is a fallible process.  One of the worst workers that I ever recruited had one of the best interviews that I've ever witnessed. Turned out she was very intelligent but  a lazy See you next Tuesday. Shit happens. Stubbs was the wrong appointment. Getting rid of him early for me is much better than the pain of the season where we watched Tommy Craig for what seemed like an interminable period making a dog's breakfast of it before finally being sacked when it was way too late to rescue.

Note to OP - what someone says at interview and then what they actually do once appointed are very often two entirely different things. 

At an interview you say what you think the potential employer wants to hear.  Did he say I'm going to sign a pile of duds - no of course he didn't, did he say I'm going to destroy morale within the club - no of course he didn't.

The board asked all the relevant questions going by your quotes and he gave gold plated answers.  It was his actions that let Stubbs down and we all know actions speak louder than words.

Oh and just as a matter of interest how exactly do you intend getting rid of the board - they are hardly going to sack themselves !

You LPM seem to live in a land of constant personal conflict, always a vendetta against some element within what at the end of the day is just a football club you happen to "support".  I really wonder why you bother at all ???

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

43 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The Balls..?

to run a smear campaign against your own manager, and by definition, your own f**king club?

to hope your smear campaign de-stabilises your manager to such a degree that, when you sack him, (even though you made the catastrophic appointment) you get the fans to swallow that you are the knight in shining armour, riding in to save the day.... but hold on! You created the mess, and then ran a smear campaign to try and cover uo your shit-fest..!

if he had the balls you talk about, he would have treated his manager, his players the support and club with respect and told him straight to his face! No whispering, shit spreading smear campaign. Just straight talking. Did anyone at the club do that? Like f**k they did.

Mind boggling to say the least. 

Your not someone that can debate the toys are truly thrown out the pram. Your personality is one of I'm right and if I'm not I'm still right.

Sorry to say bizarre to the extreme.

Performances not disappointing completely terrible and unacceptable.

Players signed not up to the job too many of them.

A unhappy dressing room but dont let facts get in the way of a smear campaign all your trying to do is rub up Div the wrong way . Div is well above that kind of bait and you should be to.        

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Jack Ross was amazing, he’s doing with Sunderland just what he did with us... but let’s be honest.. we got lucky. Our managerial appointments in recent years have almost always been catastrophic. Cheap options. Looks like no due diligence and not much of an idea as to what a good candidate “looks like”..

Stubbs record at Rotherham was horrific, the scenario the same as ours, poor man management split the dressing room, poor tactics, poor interaction with those around him. He lasted 14 games. He was deemed “the outstanding candidate” by the selection committee. What homework did they actually do to miss all of the warning signs?

So whilst I do think it was the right call, and the right time.... the big thing now is who we get to replace him. None of the names mentioned so far are very inspirational, many of them were considered in the process that saw Mr Stubbs jump out as the “outstanding candidate”

Someone like Jack Ross comes along once in a generation (when playing in the markets we play in). We just need to hope that we take the time offered by the international break, do some homework, think about what we need. Can we find anyone who can make something out of what appears to be very poor signings that Mr Stubbs has left behind? Can we find someone with the experience to clean up the mess? Mr Stubbs came into a good environment, positive mentality, good team spirit and broke it all up. It needed to be tweaked for the SPL not stripped down. Now we need someone who has the experience of picking up a mess, knowing how to fix it, and who can fix it quickly. That’s not going to be a rookie like Jim Goodwin (much as I loved him as a player) or a journeyman like Jim McIntyre. Let’s hope we take the time, draw up what the right candidate “looks like” and interview to that criteria. It’s not string theory... but our track record is not good (Mr Craig, Mr Teale, Mr Murray, Mr Rae, Mr Stubbs etc).

Chances of us finding another Jack Ross are slim.. we just need to hope we don’t end up with another Mr Stubbs \ Rae \ Murray etc.....

That post reminds me of that time when Coughlin was making a sub and was explaining to the player via a wee note. And someone in the LS enclosure shouted “Coughlin , are you making a sub or reading him war and peace “ [emoji849][emoji3]

44 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The Balls..?

You're clearly one of these fannies like ur pal Stu D who just likes to stir things up. You start off funny but then become droller by the post. What are you actually trying to achieve on here.  You slag off success you support failure . Mate you are a total prick ................ I tried reasoning with your points re the decision but you are just here to slate the club.....

7 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Mind boggling to say the least. 

Your not someone that can debate the toys are truly thrown out the pram. Your personality is one of I'm right and if I'm not I'm still right.

Sorry to say bizarre to the extreme.

Performances not disappointing completely terrible and unacceptable.

Players signed not up to the job too many of them.

A unhappy dressing room but dont let facts get in the way of a smear campaign all your trying to do is rub up Div the wrong way . Div is well above that kind of bait and you should be to.        

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

You're clearly one of these fannies like ur pal Stu D who just likes to stir things up. You start off funny but then become droller by the post. What are you actually trying to achieve on here.  You slag off success you support failure . Mate you are a total prick ................ I tried reasoning with your points re the decision but you are just here to slate the club.....

Telling neither of you esteemed gents can argue against the self harm inflicted on the club. Attack me by all means, but ar least be honest to yourself!

lets see how many games you and the club give the next guy in? 

Rae got six, Stubbs four, Ross... as many as he wanted.. i think five is probably the one bookies will plump for as favourite.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Telling neither of you esteemed gents can argue against the self harm inflicted on the club. Attack me by all means, but ar least be honest to yourself!

Rae got six, Stubbs four, Ross... as many as he wanted.. i think five is probably the one bookies will plump for as favourite.

You are attacking St Mirren, you always have ........................ but you are actually too thick to be a good troll  .............. I already stated the BOD are accountable , and they have been, despite a cost they have reacted, I even said they should look closer at future recruitments .................. however after a highly successful 2017-18 , they clearly made a mistake and have rectified it. Rae ???  Well guess what, after those 6 games and his dire squad, Jack turned into success- did u forget that bit.................. I just hope our new manager can reunite the club

We need stability now, and it will take time.................. but you don't know how good/bad someone is till they do the actual job...................

So be honest with yourself , stick together stop making waves on here

11 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

You have really got to stop telling lies of how many games Stubbs and Rae got   :wacko:

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

All any of us want is to see St Mirren competitive we expect to get beat more than we win.

Most us us would accept 10th place as success this season. 

Ross did a fantastic job its been a long long time since I have seen the club as one all that was needed for a new manager to come in and tinker around the edges all the hard work had been put in place.

Now someone has to come in and pick up the peaces , that person will be given time simply because most of us know we are in such a mess.

As for the board a mistake has been done thankfully they see fit to fix that mistake , have you never made a mistake LPM and then corrected it ? We all have.

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

All any of us want is to see St Mirren competitive we expect to get beat more than we win.

Ross did a fantastic job its been a long long time since I have seen the club as one all that was needed for a new manager to come in and tinker around the edges all the hard work had been put in place.

Now someone has to come in and pick up the peaces , that person will be given time simply because most of us know we are in such a mess.

As for the board a mistake has been done thankfully they see fit to fix that mistake , have you never made a mistake LPM and then corrected it ? We all have.

Aye, last night with your LPN thread.  :wink:

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Note to OP - what someone says at interview and then what they actually do once appointed are very often two entirely different things. 

At an interview you say what you think the potential employer wants to hear.  Did he say I'm going to sign a pile of duds - no of course he didn't, did he say I'm going to destroy morale within the club - no of course he didn't.

The board asked all the relevant questions going by your quotes and he gave gold plated answers.  It was his actions that let Stubbs down and we all know actions speak louder than words.

Oh and just as a matter of interest how exactly do you intend getting rid of the board - they are hardly going to sack themselves !

You LPM seem to live in a land of constant personal conflict, always a vendetta against some element within what at the end of the day is just a football club you happen to "support".  I really wonder why you bother at all ???

When you interview and get to a point of thinking "this is the best person for the job", it is incumbent on you to then do your homework on their CV and get more than one bit of feedback on a range of their managerial qualities, especially if you are going to offer them a 3 year contract!

Football is such an open forum these days and someone, somewhere from Everton, Hibs or Rotherham should have been able to give our BoD's the low-down on his man management, dressing-room feel and his effectiveness at the training ground that would have allowed them to fully consider the appointment before any offer was made..................  Do you think our Board went through that process :cloud9 ?

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I ñever used a smear campaign to turn others against someone if i made a mistake, then make it look like i was the good guy.

I owned it!

so lets see who gets to find out if the players like him next? If his name isnt Ross, he's got an uphill struggle!