So what now for SMFC?

24 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

You're clearly one of these fannies like ur pal Stu D who just likes to stir things up. You start off funny but then become droller by the post. What are you actually trying to achieve on here.  You slag off success you support failure . Mate you are a total prick ................ I tried reasoning with your points re the decision but you are just here to slate the club.....

Abuse abuse abuse all the way 

Saddo

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

All any of us want is to see St Mirren competitive we expect to get beat more than we win.

Most us us would accept 10th place as success this season. 

Ross did a fantastic job its been a long long time since I have seen the club as one all that was needed for a new manager to come in and tinker around the edges all the hard work had been put in place.

Now someone has to come in and pick up the peaces , that person will be given time simply because most of us know we are in such a mess.

As for the board a mistake has been done thankfully they see fit to fix that mistake , have you never made a mistake LPM and then corrected it ? We all have.

I agree. However,  I have sympathy with LPM in respect of the treatment of AS on line by many and the leaks from within the club which helped fuel these. Also..Jack Ross was a great manager for us but no Saint. He had 3 tries before finally leaving. No criticism of him here but facts are facts. Good luck to the incoming. Manager. 

1 minute ago, The Original 59er said:

When you interview and get to a point of thinking "this is the best person for the job", it is incumbent on you to then do your homework on their CV and get more than one bit of feedback on a range of their managerial qualities, especially if you are going to offer them a 3 year contract!

Football is such an open forum these days and someone, somewhere from Everton, Hibs or Rotherham should have been able to give our BoD's the low-down on his man management, dressing-room feel and his effectiveness at the training ground that would have allowed them to fully consider the appointment before any offer was made..................  Do you think our Board went through that process :cloud9 ?

They might or they might not - we simply don't know and are unlikely to find out.  You would expect it would probably be good references from Everton or Hibs and honking from Barnsley but his record at those clubs is there for all to see so I don't think it's too difficult to figure out what the feedback from those mentioned would have been.  The board made a mistake in appointing him but they have admitted that mistake and taken steps to rectify it quickly. They had put themselves in a no win situation but they took decisive action and only time will tell if it pays off or not. Bad appointments are made in all walks of life but we need to consider just how difficult it is to attract a good manager (or at least one with a better chance of succeeding than failing) to a club like hours. I personally am glad that responsibility is not mine and it's easy to criticise form afar. All that said LPM will take any and every opportunity to bash the board no matter who it consists of.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

I ñever used a smear campaign to turn others against someone if i made a mistake, then make it look like i was the good guy.

I owned it!

so lets see who gets to find out if the players like him next? If his name isnt Ross, he's got an uphill struggle!

As a fan its what I see on the park that makes up my mind we have been utterly shocking. Even I wrote on the match day thread with Hearts there had been an improvement. Yet we lost 4-1 that's how bad things have got.

I dont see any smear campaign. 

1 minute ago, renfrew said:

I am not suggesting anything. I am pointing out that you continue to lie about the amount of games they had before getting the sack. 

Every manager in the country sees the league cup group stage as pre season. Looks like you dont? So ateryou going to big up Stubbs for being the first saints manager to get us through it, holding Killie as well at stuffing six without reply against Dumbarton?

i am guessing no?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Still interesting to note that no one is saying the club werent running a smear campaign. Maybe these posters approve of any method the board use to cover up their mess?

That's because it's all in your head !

The board appointed him and the board sacked him - where / what is your conspiracy theory / cover up ????

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Took a step back last night when the confirmation came through our manager had been sacked after four league games. It seems the co-ordinated campaign to de-stabilise him with leak, after leak from players, directors and staff got the result they wanted? And please, dont insult either your, or my intelligence sugesting this wasnt a club endorsed approach to build up an Anti Stubbs mob, so the board could make it look like they were getting it right by eventually sacking him.

this shit-strewn type of dirty campaign has been run by clubs before, including ours, and always comes with a much higher cost than those who endorsed and encouraged it ever conceive. So what now? Whats the club strategy now they have succeeded in smearing their own employee?

looking for a new manager? Well yes someone will always take the job, its a job at the end of the day. Question is..? What manager worth their salt will be really interested now? So far names bandied about are Gus Mc Pherson who has just had his team relegated to league two. Then their is club legend Jim Goodwin whose recently promoted Alloa are no better off than us, in a lower league (i wonder if his bosses& players are trying to oust him?). And the other name mentioned is Jim McIntyre, who in his last job won just TWO of his first NINETEEN games in this very league..!

honest opinions, does anyone see either of those three gents being able to lead us to the promised land of Premiership survival given, they will have to work with the self same group of players their predecessor did? I mean if the players dont like the next guy, (Gus and McIntyre suffered this at our club and county) will he be gone after three, four, five defeats..?

and what of this squad? The 'DownToolers'... not exactly covered themselves in glory with their attitudes, whining, performances and finger-pointing. We've had the captain no less, in the media blaming all the new recruits for our poor performances..! Nice to see, like his former manager he's got his teammates backs..! What i think may now be taken out of the club, and players hands is one or more of the loaning clubs taking their players back, as the set up the originally agreed to loan into has changed drastically with the departure of the high level coach (Stubbs) they intrusted their player to.

it was interesting to read on here last night, after the confirmation of Stubbs departure, a more considered group of posters showing genuine concern as to where the club, under this board is heading. Their is a growing concern the board are non-functioning, reactive, poor decision makers and completely lacking in self-belief. How else do you explain the circus around Ross trying almost all of last season to get another job? Feck me he was never off the motorways of the UK taking interviews. Then the drawn out process to replace him, with the board assuring us that in Stubbs... they had found their man. They said;

Stubbs was the "standout candidate".

"He fits in perfectly with the philosophy of the club of promoting young players throughout the team,". "Our youth policy is vital to us and he'll be able to bring those players on.

"He's a fantastic coach, great man manager. He's also got a great presence and I think he will be successful here.

"He's someone the fans will take to and they will get a real lift. He's a well known name and he's a really good person. It's a fantastic fit for the football club."

this after interviewing McIntyre, Caldwell and Kearney...

how could they get it all so completely wrong? Did Stubbs have Mourinho do the interviews for him?

this board need hunting, i dont think its a coincidence that David Nicol the Smisa rep is standing down early. If he's seen through their collective failings, and smear tactics i wouldnt blame him for letting some other poor bugger have to keep their mouths shut for fearnof swallowing the shit they are shoulder deep in.

I'm not sure about the internal politics of the club but it has been clear something hasn't been right since  JR made it clear he was leaving.. I don't imagine football is all that different from any other roles where "power plays" are made but when they are backstabbing, ruthless, decisive, failure or underhand are usually the types of words being bandied about.

When he was appointed I wasn't overly excited but I was happy to back Stubbs as manager. TF billed him as the outstanding candidate but looking back now that looks like a PR cover up because all the other candidates had knocked us back.

Stubbs first signings were unusual and no preseason games meant we were all in the dark as to their quality until our first match. By that time Tales from La Manga about player release had already started and talk of him doing a Terry Butcher when he put Hibs into freefall, by releasing half his team , were already causing a bit of apprehension in the support.

And what about that first team selection. I never saw that coming. McPherson and Kirkpatrick in the starting lineup and no places for Cooke, King or Heaton. Fair play it all looked good even big Kpekawa looked like he might be a player that night but sadly that was the last spark of enthusiasm and effort we saw from an Alan Stubbs team. It hasn't exactly been a joy to watch after that.

Dead pigeons and a Steven McGinn rally cry were the only talking points of the league cup campaign and just when it all comes good against Dumbarton the talk in the pub was already of a bust up between McGinn and Stubbs. 

McGinn was Dire at the Aberdeen game but so was the team. Fair do's to Stubbs you can't legislate for the individual errors but I didn't see any fight or any sign they had a plan that day. At Ibrox again it was moment of madness that put us behind but it was more of the same. The Livi game was awful and the lack of desire in the team was evident to everyone. The Ross's players v Stubbs interaction between McGinn and Smith was enough to highlight no one was playing for Stubbs.

At Tyncastle Smith was fighting with Jackson during the Warm up, Players were making the usual expected individual errors and costing us goals. Rumours were rife at half time about Stubbs out by Monday and McIntyre in for the celtic game.  I have no idea of the reasoning behind the leaks, Gilmours tweets or Board room agendas but this so called inside info from fans at the game maybe gives some credence to the conspiracy theory.

You LPM know much more about these shenanigans than I do and you probably have your own Agenda. I don't know and don't care.

What I think though is that Stubbs wasn't taking the club anywhere good and he had to go. I actually felt sorry for him in the end but tough I was glad to see the back of him.

Where go now I have no idea but hopefully into a period of unity where the team turn up on a Matchday and Board room matters disappear back into the background.

Unfortunately the "Whoever is appointed" must go thread will probably start 2 minutes after his appointment but hopefully not because anyone has an agenda.

I hope we go back to enjoying the football

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

That's because it's all in your head !

The board appointed him and the board sacked him - where / what is your conspiracy theory / cover up ????

Seriously..?

you must ge the only connected st mirren fan not to be aware of the wave of leaks that can only have come out of the club. But if your cool with it, thats up to you.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Every manager in the country sees the league cup group stage as pre season. Looks like you dont? So ateryou going to big up Stubbs for being the first saints manager to get us through it, holding Killie as well at stuffing six without reply against Dumbarton?

i am guessing no?

Good to see you admitting you were lying about Stubbs. Now are you going to do the same about Rae ?

6 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Seriously..?

you must ge the only connected st mirren fan not to be aware of the wave of leaks that can only have come out of the club. But if your cool with it, thats up to you.

When things are sinking they tend to have leaks

Edited by DougJamie

1 minute ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I'm not sure about the internal politics of the club but it has been clear something hasn't been right since  JR made it clear he was leaving.. I don't imagine football is all that different from any other roles where "power plays" are made but when they are backstabbing, ruthless, decisive, failure or underhand are usually the types of words being bandied about.

When he was appointed I wasn't overly excited but I was happy to back Stubbs as manager. TF billed him as the outstanding candidate but looking back now that looks like a PR cover up because all the other candidates had knocked us back.

Stubbs first signings were unusual and no preseason games meant we were all in the dark as to their quality until our first match. By that time Tales from La Manga about player release had already started and talk of him doing a Terry Butcher when he put Hibs into freefall, by releasing half his team , were already causing a bit of apprehension in the support.

And what about that first team selection. I never saw that coming. McPherson and Kirkpatrick in the starting lineup and no places for Cooke, King or Heaton. Fair play it all looked good even big Kpekawa looked like he might be a player that night but sadly that was the last spark of enthusiasm and effort we saw from an Alan Stubbs team. It hasn't exactly been a joy to watch after that.

Dead pigeons and a Steven McGinn rally cry were the only talking points of the league cup campaign and just when it all comes good against Dumbarton the talk in the pub was already of a bust up between McGinn and Stubbs. 

McGinn was Dire at the Aberdeen game but so was the team. Fair do's to Stubbs you can't legislate for the individual errors but I didn't see any fight or any sign they had a plan that day. At Ibrox again it was moment of madness that put us behind but it was more of the same. The Livi game was awful and the lack of desire in the team was evident to everyone. The Ross's players v Stubbs interaction between McGinn and Smith was enough to highlight no one was playing for Stubbs.

At Tyncastle Smith was fighting with Jackson during the Warm up, Players were making the usual expected individual errors and costing us goals. Rumours were rife at half time about Stubbs out by Monday and McIntyre in for the celtic game.  I have no idea of the reasoning behind the leaks, Gilmours tweets or Board room agendas but this so called inside info from fans at the game maybe gives some credence to the conspiracy theory.

You LPM know much more about these shenanigans than I do and you probably have your own Agenda. I don't know and don't care.

What I think though is that Stubbs wasn't taking the club anywhere good and he had to go. I actually felt sorry for him in the end but tough I was glad to see the back of him.

Where go now I have no idea but hopefully into a period of unity where the team turn up on a Matchday and Board room matters disappear back into the background.

Unfortunately the "Whoever is appointed" must go thread will probably start 2 minutes after his appointment but hopefully not because anyone has an agenda.

I hope we go back to enjoying the football

Good post.

my agenda? Supporting SMFC... end of. 

Did i want Stubbs, no. I thought the board should have shown ambition and gone for Guti, who its said Athletico Madrid see as a potential future manager. Of the options left, Stubbs seemed the best, at least profile wise.

has he done well, no. He has gambled too much on his signing/loan policy, instead of balancing it early doors with a few quality seasoned pro's. Maybe it was a trial he thought worth pursuing given our budget?

the pressure on the next guy is immense, he's git the same players, board, support that done in his predecessor to impress. With the same, or indeed less to work with.

my fear is we will plummet like Sunderland now, continually finding reasons to sack and appoint, rather than find out why our strategy and structure dint work?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

So your bigging up Stubbs for being the first saints manager to navigate the league cup group! I dont think you'll have many joining that bandwagon.

Drawing with Spartans and QP  and beating a team near the bottom of the 3rd tier, yeah quite an achievement !!

Edited by DougJamie