Stubbs' Signings

I think we really need to look at the club structure after this. The way football clubs are run is changing and the days of giving managers a free reign in the transfer market to bring in anyone they want are coming to an end.

With managers tenures becoming shorter and shorter clubs cant change the whole strategy every 3-6 months when they change manager. This is where the director of football role is becoming more important.

Giving Stubbs free reign to bring in 13 players was a mistake and can't be repeated with OK or anyone else who is brought in. We got away with it with JR but I think that was more the exception rather than the norm.

Decisions on signings need to be made with the board included and there needs to be a coherent long term strategy regarding the type of player we bring in and the market we shop in.

48 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

IMG_6629.jpg

I know they’re wearing the stripes but who the f*** are these guys?

Two very young guys that believe they have made the move of a lifetime.  I'm hoping they have what it takes and do well in a better atmosphere and with a better, less divisive, coach. Fingers crossed for them. Hope they become Saints legends.

Stubbs showed what he really thinks of Scottish football. Like Craig before him, he considered that reserves and lower/non league English players would be good enough to play in our top league. That in itself would be grounds for dismissal but for the directors to actually allow him to squander precious funds on untried players is akin to dereliction of duty.

He goes with my good riddance although no doubt he will be permitted, just like that other ne`er do well Alex Rae, to pontificate to us mere mortals about that which is above our intelligence....football. I despair.

18 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I think we really need to look at the club structure after this. The way football clubs are run is changing and the days of giving managers a free reign in the transfer market to bring in anyone they want are coming to an end.

With managers tenures becoming shorter and shorter clubs cant change the whole strategy every 3-6 months when they change manager. This is where the director of football role is becoming more important.

Giving Stubbs free reign to bring in 13 players was a mistake and can't be repeated with OK or anyone else who is brought in. We got away with it with JR but I think that was more the exception rather than the norm.

Decisions on signings need to be made with the board included and there needs to be a coherent long term strategy regarding the type of player we bring in and the market we shop in.

Is this the Royal wee, cause if it is it's a load of Pis*.  Who is 'We'?  You? Me? Him next door? Decisions such as you advocate might sound a really good idea and in some clubs with sufficient finances they may even work (personally, I don't believe they do) however at the level St Mirren operate at one man/board is in charge and will make appropriate decisions in conjunction with the manager to suit him/them, not necessarily you, I, her, or the woman next door.  Tooooo many cooks does not always produce a better meal.   :D

22 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Good post. It's the modern way to have a recruitment strategy. A director of football would be great, but a club of our size would struggle to afford another position within the club. Having said that, it could lead to savings in terms of paying players off when one manager leaves and another arrives, so might be worthwhile.

I'm not really in favour of giving the board a hands on role in recruitment. As seen with the Stubbs appointment, they're not as clued up as we would like them to be.

I am very much in favour of having some sort of system which reduces the turnover of players we currently see though. It's up to the board to try to think of a way of making this possible.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, Paisley brazilians said:

Can any of stubbs signings take decent  free kicks and deliver corners.  and any others that are an aerial threat. That is what we are desperately lacking. 

how many attempts at goal from a corner have we had this season ? A decent manager of a full time team should have several set piece delivery choices at a corner , and the corner taker should be signalling what type of corner its going to be , not seen any " moves from the training ground " since Stubbs arrived .

That said , it could be the case that the team has practiced several different types of corners , but have decided not to implement the during a match because the players don't like the manager.

5 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Don't understand the bitterness from some of our support towards these players. Hardly their fault. Seen one guy abusing Josh Heaton on Twitter. :wacko:

Where's the need? Might turn out to be a good player under a different manager or system 

Abusing any of our own players is a disgrace. They have been caught in the mix of unfortunate events and when morale is low it's hard to pick yourself up as a team.

Hopefully with a morale booster from better man management under OK, these players will thrive and play to the best of their ability and get our season on track, as I feel the players signed by Stubbs are not bad players, he's just didn't know how to deploy them as a unit.

53 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Don't understand the bitterness from some of our support towards these players. Hardly their fault. Seen one guy abusing Josh Heaton on Twitter. :wacko:

Where's the need? Might turn out to be a good player under a different manager or system 

Agree. No need.

At the end of the day, they’ve taken an opportunity that’s been presented to them and I’m sure that they’ll be giving maximum effort.

It looks like Heaton has all the attributes to be a decent player, hopefully the injury doesn’t rule him out for too long and he can get up to speed.

By Christ, we need a centre half! 

Think you'd be wise to watch what you write on a public forum. Disrespectful to say the least without proof or foundation.

In fact I think it would be prudent for any moderator to delete it if you don't do so yourself.

Edited by stlucifer
To remove a quote

Yup we can't be so reliant on one guy. The club needs structure that people fit into not one that changes everytime the manager changes.

It's embarrassing bit sadly some people think abusing players is their right. f**k once upon a time Tommy Turner was loaned out to another club as our boo boys didn't like him.

These boys might just make the step up. By all accounts have heard good reports about them (Heaton and King anyway) playing in the u21's so maybe just maybe they will come good.

Absolutely no need to abuse our players on twitter.

5 hours ago, Doakes said:

This. As long as these guys give 100% for us, that's what matters to me. They may or may not be good enough (time will tell) but I just want to see the effort from them. Different story if they can't be arsed.

Where I feel we missed out on this occasion is JRs targets - I feel the club should have pursued them rather than the 2 weeks of limbo from Ipswich declaring their interest in JR, a further 2 weeks before Stubbsy was appointed and two more before he made his first signings - 6 weeks in total when only Kellerman arrived (on the day of JRs departure). I realize some of the targets may have held back until the new guy was appointed but I still feel we could & should have done more.

7 hours ago, Doakes said:

Bottimtline is that they didn't sign themselves.