Catch 22 - or can we hold on to OK?

Hopefully we are able to convince OK that his future lies at St Mirren as he seems to be a very impressive character - appears to be in a similar mould to JR.

And hopefully he can bring success to the club over time.

However, we seem to be in a Catch 22 situation in that if he fails he will be shown the door but if he succeeds he will be off at the first opportunity to pastures green (like JR).

What can we do to convince successful managers that there is a future for them at St Mirren?

Surely with a catchment area of Paisley and surrounding area we should be capable of growing and developing into a top 6 club in the SPFL where we belong?

2 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Hopefully we are able to convince OK that his future lies at St Mirren as he seems to be a very impressive character - appears to be in a similar mould to JR.

However, we seem to be in a Catch 22 situation in that if he fails he will be shown the door but if he succeeds he will be off at the first opportunity to pastures green (like JR).

What can we do to convince successful managers that there is a future for them at St Mirren?

Surely with a catchment area of Paisley and surrounding area we should be capable of growing and developing into a top 6 club in the SPFL where we belong?

Only happen if a certain two clubs were struggling in the league and we were doing well.  The glory hunters would follow.

40 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

The problem is we live in the shadow of the old firm. The other problem is men in the surrounding are seem to like sboping from what I see going through the town. Then you have escape , ice hockey, basket ball, At least you can plane watch at the stadium if the game is boring :whistle

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

18 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yip. I like to do a bit of sboping throughout the town whenever I get the opportunity.

Charity shops, pound shops, pawnbrokers, Turkish barbers, Paisley is the sboping capital of the UK.

emoji41.png

They have caught on here also loads of them. 

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If the Isle of Bute now has a sboping problem amongst the male population then the game really is up.

#worryingtimes

You don't shop at charity shops I take it or use food banks or soup kitchens. Unfortunately every city , town throughout the land has them. Of course you have debated they are not needed yet they are everywhere. 

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Let's see how he does first before fretting about his possible departure.

I'd be more than  happy if he does well enough with us to be poached by a bigger club, as this means we'll have done very well. It's up to us to be keeping a keen eye on other managers so that we're prepared for that possibility with a list of managers we think can continue the good work. We should be looking to develop into a club that competes for honours more regularly, which in turn will persuade managers to stay with us a little longer each time.

If we can get out of the habit of making bad appointments and having to sack a manager ever 6 months, that will also help when attracting new managers.

There's not much we can do tbh. As stated our fan base won't grow much because of the bigot sides, which is why we should be focusing on getting the family stand filled - free tickets to schools, children's clubs etc. That will help our future fan base.

If Kearney does well, English sides will notice. So not only are we as a club in the shadow of the bigots, but the Scottish game is easy pickings for the English sides as we are next door and they have much more money to offer.

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I'd be more than  happy if he does well enough with us to be poached by a bigger club, as this means we'll have done very well. It's up to us to be keeping a keen eye on other managers so that we're prepared for that possibility with a list of managers we think can continue the good work. We should be looking to develop into a club that competes for honours more regularly, which in turn will persuade managers to stay with us a little longer each time.

If we can get out of the habit of making bad appointments and having to sack a manager ever 6 months, that will also help when attracting new managers.

Maybe I am naive, but I think St Mirren have the potential to be a bigger, more attractive club than they are at present and it appears that GLS & TF share that view.

Most people acknowledge that we were in a good place at the end of last season and there were a lot of positive vibes around the place and we were looking forward to the challenge of the new season. Regrettably that feel-good factor was eroded in a few weeks after the appointment of AS & Co although we can only guess at the reasons why.

As a support we should be asking ourselves what reasonable ambitions do we have for our club and I would suggest the following:-

1. Survival this season in the SPFL
  2. A top six finish thereafter
  3. Average home attendances of 10,000 should that happen
  4. Increasing our ground capacity to facilitate that
  5. Carry forward the feel good factor amongst all those involved at the club - BoD, management, players and supporters

Should any of the above targets fail to materialise straight away we should learn to have patience and resolve which are important for long-term success.

And the key element to making this happen is the backing of the fans as they so ably demonstrated last season.

If targets 1-5 above were to be achieved, perhaps the manager might be more inclined to stay (with the right kind of financial encouragement) rather than jump ship at the first opportunity.

Or are we all resigned like Cornwall Saint above to being permanently contaminated by the Ugly Sisters?

............ If the new manager does as well as the one before last did we'll lose him in no time at all. ....... It's the way of the football world. .... At the moment Coleraine fans will be just as pissed-off as we were when Jack the Lad done one to Sunderland. ...... The Mackems will be just as pissed-off when Jack wins them the league and then f**ks-off to bigger and better. ..... It's just how it works. ...

3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yip. I like to do a bit of sboping throughout the town whenever I get the opportunity.

Charity shops, pound shops, pawnbrokers, Turkish barbers, Paisley is the sboping capital of the UK.

emoji41.png

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

If the Isle of Bute now has a sboping problem amongst the male population then the game really is up.

#worryingtimes

I do believe he's not noticed the key word, gentlemen. :lol:

2 minutes ago, suedehead said:

............ If the new manager does as well as the one before last did we'll lose him in no time at all. ....... It's the way of the football world. .... At the moment Coleraine fans will be just as pissed-off as we were when Jack the Lad done one to Sunderland. ...... The Mackems will be just as pissed-off when Jack wins them the league and then f**ks-off to bigger and better. ..... It's just how it works. ...

No doubt most managers move on at some stage in their careers.

However we do not compare favourably with most other teams currently in the SPFL in terms of holding on to a reasonably successful manager.

9 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

No doubt most managers move on at some stage in their careers.

However we do not compare favourably with most other teams currently in the SPFL in terms of holding on to a reasonably successful manager.

...... I'm trying to think of managers in my time who weren't sacked/mutual-consented out of the door, but left of their own volition to clubs who in their opinion were a better proposition than St. Mirren were. ...... There may well be others but I'm stuck at Jack Ross and Alex Miller. ......... 

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:
2 hours ago, Soctty said:

Maybe I am naive, but I think St Mirren have the potential to be a bigger, more attractive club than they are at present and it appears that GLS & TF share that view.

Most people acknowledge that we were in a good place at the end of last season and there were a lot of positive vibes around the place and we were looking forward to the challenge of the new season. Regrettably that feel-good factor was eroded in a few weeks after the appointment of AS & Co although we can only guess at the reasons why.

As a support we should be asking ourselves what reasonable ambitions do we have for our club and I would suggest the following:-

5. Carry forward the feel good factor amongst all those involved at the club - BoD, management, players and supporters

Should any of the above targets fail to materialise straight away we should learn to have patience and resolve which are important for long-term success.

And the key element to making this happen is the backing of the fans as they so ably demonstrated last season.

If targets 1-5 above were to be achieved, perhaps the manager might be more inclined to stay (with the right kind of financial encouragement) rather than jump ship at the first opportunity.

Or are we all resigned like Cornwall Saint above to being permanently contaminated by the Ugly Sisters?

Long term plan.  Master plan a) make millions winning everything available and buy out both the old firm, disband them flatten the grounds and  plant tatties in Parkhead and Neeps in Ibrox .

Master plan b): Open a chain of Multi national (in Scotland at least) Tatties and Neeps restaurants and make billions. 

Master plan c) Give the money to OK and wait for the Howling from 'everybody else' :P

1 hour ago, suedehead said:

...... I'm trying to think of managers in my time who weren't sacked/mutual-consented out of the door, but left of their own volition to clubs who in their opinion were a better proposition than St. Mirren were. ...... There may well be others but I'm stuck at Jack Ross and Alex Miller. ......... 

You should add another method.

Manoeuvred a stupid board into allowing him to move to Aberdeen with no compensation. That should  come under, "own volition".

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You don't shop at charity shops I take it or use food banks or soup kitchens. Unfortunately every city , town throughout the land has them. Of course you have debated they are not needed yet they are everywhere. 

Honestly IOBS, I am not trying to be offensive but you lack the intellect to interest me in a debate with you about this issue.

2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Indeed.

Half the population of Rothesay would starve without them

Makes you wonder what people would do without all these "essential" foodbanks. :rolleyes:

We didn't have anywhere near this number in the 80's and we didn't have anywhere near the same level of welfare available to people either and yet I don't recall stepping over piles of bodies to get around the town.

What we are seeing is symptomatic of a culture of dependency and the mass of foodbanks is creating demand. That is where left wing policies takes you.

Edited by oaksoft

Am looking forward to 10,000 at home squeezed into a 7,000 seater stadium

6 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

The arseholes who live in the Paisley district and support the OF are to blame. If they supported the local team, bigger crowds, more money, better signings, better results. We have had to live as the OF's poor relative for years now and they suck the life out of us and 'steal' our good players, Morgan being the most recent example. The game in Scotland is corrupt.

I think this the problem you identify is St Mirren’s opportunity.  Let people attracted to the Old Firm do what they do. We can offer an alternative for people who can’t be bothered with it. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Honestly IOBS, I am not trying to be offensive but you lack the intellect to interest me in a debate with you about this issue.

Sometimes the truth hursts correct ? Am i wrong in what i wrote if i am i will admit it if you prove me wrong.

Your the one that flies the intellect flag ( i am a scientist ) me but a simple worker not up to your standard in your words.

So the fact you now deny that food banks, soup kitchens, charity shops are needed all  over the country i ask  you admit to getting it wrong ?

If so i admire the fact you now realise your wrong ?

Good for you even though you see yourself above all in your mind of intellect intelligence .