Catch 22 - or can we hold on to OK?

5 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Not really sure what your comment on council tax has to do with the point I raised about the SNP choosing to pay for the council tax freeze (which mainly benefits those who don’t use food banks) by capping public sector wage increases. I could also have mentioned other SNP middle class subsidies such as no tuition fees, no prescription charges and no bridge tolls. 

Regarding your second paragraph, again, not really sure of the relevance? You made an issue out of public service workers. You’ve still to make clear why?

You don’t understand the relevance of me using someone I know as an example yet you go ahead and use people that you know as examples? Are they any more relevant than someone I know?

Why would I be bragging about having a girlfriend? The vast majority of people have a partner don’t they? Why would it be something to brag about? She could be a munter for all you know anyway!

Anyway, my point regarding my girlfriend is that she has become much poorer over the past 10 years compared with a public sector worker. You brought public sector workers into the discussion specifically, and I’m assuming it’s because you think they have become poorer over the past 10 years compared with private sector workers and are more likely to have to use food banks? It was you who mentioned the cap on wage increases. Just wanted to point out that many in the private sector didn’t get any pay increases and have no pensions.

I could have mentioned my old mother in law who lived on disability benefits most of her life, despite not having any disabilities. Are public sector workers more likely to need food banks than those on disability benefits? Are they poorer?

In summary, the specific reason you gave for the increase in food banks was the cap on public sector wage increases. Can you provide some evidence of this?

Regarding pensions, you can take then benefits from age 55 onwards, whether working or not.

Admit it. You skim read don't you?

I gave it as ONE reason. Not THE reason.

Anyway.

Let's see how OK fairs before we start having him poached.

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyway"...........

back to the OP topic, Kearney was at Coleraine for seven and a half years, and to put it into context we have had one more manager at our club, than the number of years he was at Coleraine....!

and Oran arriving makes it two more managers we have had, compared to his length of service before joining us!

Delighted that someone has managed to get this back on topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since I started supporting Saints and that is a long time back (:clapping)............. I watched scores of buses heading along the Glasgow Road towards either Darkheid or Ipox and initially wondered why they dragged so many people out of Paisley when there was a wonderful football club in their own town.

Then I learnt of religious divides and bigotry and even then could maybe understand why some of them went east, but not all. You then realise they were generally glory hunters or they just plainly followed their father's ideological mistakes .

Even when we were at our best and challenged the OF by staying at the top end of the top league until Christmas we might have got 15,000 or even 18,000 at an OF match - I remember a particularly foggy game against Rangers at Love St when I think Hughie Gilshan scored the winner, and also attending a Celtic game when you feared that a beer can  full of p*ss would be poured down your leg or sprayed all over you as it was tossed from the back of the vile mob that stood behind you.

Even in these days a crowd of 6,000 for a 'run of the mill' match was good going at LS and it really summed up our problem, in that no matter how well we played and no matter how competitive we were, the ugly sisters drained our town of mistakenly potential misguided supporters. Even in Fergie's days when he went round the housing estates with a tannoy attached to the top of the car and urged supporters to come along and see his young exciting team it didn't manage to encourage much more than 5 or 6,000 to a game. :snore

Also we are considered a stepping stone for players and we have as long as I can remember, (e.g. Tottie Beck, George McLean, Frank McAvennie, Tommy Bryceland, Billy Thomson, Tony Fitzpatrick, Billy Stark, Frank McGarvey, Ian Ferguson, Lewis Morgan etc, etc to name just a few), we have managed to hold on to them for a short while until they attract the attention of the OF or someone down south who snaps them up and gives us some financial breathing space for a season or two more.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath in this day of multi-TV matches and alternative attractions on a Saturday, but for those who enjoy the UPS and downs of supporting a local team, we at least  offer our merry band an occasional exciting visit to the National Stadium, or a season to remember to stick firmly in the memory bank for another few years.

Good luck OK, I personally wish your tenure at St Mirren to be as long and fruitful as possible. :flowers

Edited by The Original 59er

On 9/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, shull said:

Don't respond to his abuse, Oaky.

He'll have you on IGNORE as soon as. 

I have said this until I am blue in the face. You cannot have an intelligent conversation with this type of person without them resorting to abuse.

Heaven forbid that they should simply provide evidence that a new foodbank opens only when there is a need for it. I'm not asking for much here.

Someone simply needs to show the research results which were undertaken prior to each new foodbank opening because as far as I can tell they can open whenever and wherever they like. It's reasonable to assume that if you open a shop offering free food that you will create a demand for that free food.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I have said this until I am blue in the face. You cannot have an intelligent conversation with this type of person without them resorting to abuse.

Heaven forbid that they should simply provide evidence that a new foodbank opens only when there is a need for it. I'm not asking for much here.

Someone simply needs to show the research results which were undertaken prior to each new foodbank opening because as far as I can tell they can open whenever and wherever they like. It's reasonable to assume that if you open a shop offering free food that you will create a demand for that free food.

"I have said this until I am blue in the face. You cannot have an intelligent conversation with this type of person without them resorting to abuse"

You are no different Oaky Doaky. Your abuse takes the form of pompous arrogance. Comes down to weapon of choice. Try to avoid being a hypocrite.  If you are blue in the face you perhaps should consider a course in anger management.

Edited by helpmaboab

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

When the government changed the benefit system demand for food banks surged. Oxford University did a study on food banks have a look online. Are you suggesting food banks are not needed ?  This should be moved over to general nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

When the government changed the benefit system demand for food banks surged. Oxford University did a study on food banks have a look online. Are you suggesting food banks are not needed ?  This should be moved over to general nonsense. 

It certainly should not be on this thread.

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

This is why I don't want to talk to you about this sort of thing. I have made it perfectly clear where I stand and yet you still ask stupid questions like this one in bold.

10 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

"I have said this until I am blue in the face. You cannot have an intelligent conversation with this type of person without them resorting to abuse"

You are no different Oaky Doaky. Your abuse takes the form of pompous arrogance. Comes down to weapon of choice. Try to avoid being a hypocrite.  If you are blue in the face you perhaps should consider a course in anger management.

Congratulations on creating your first post entirely in English.