Serena Williams .

Callum Gilhooley

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I love the comments from Jelly Bean Queen also ,  there are no repercussions when a man does it .  Really BJK ?  Do you not remember John McEnroe ?  Or Nastasie ?   

Or how about Nick Kyrgios, whose fines could keep a third world country going for a year. 

A sorry state of affairs, lost the plot and I agree BJK should have kept her mouth shut, done more damage than good IMO. 

My understanding of what I've read is that Serena stated the umpire never done it when a Man done this, ok, please tell us what men's game this umpire never took any action. All for equality etc but to make stuff up then she needs to support her allegation.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think she has done more damage herself, more so when her coach then admitted the offence afterwards. 

7 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Tennis machine Serena blows a Gasket then claims sexism by the umpire !? !

Really Serena, you dont think , cheating, smashing a raquet  then calling the Umpire a thief and a liar may have contributed ??? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45461716

Poor show by this female player.  Difficult to call her a lady. 

I'm sure she will be bothered about a nonentity on a St Mirren forum finding it difficult to call her a lady.

Emotion is a big part of any world class sportsman or woman.  She might be the most famous sportswoman in the world right now and is just getting back from almost losing her life in childbirth. She has dominated a sport for 20 years and has been a fantastic role model, particularly to women. So get off your usual high horse and cut her some slack.

You make a point of saying she's a female player. Good spot!! Am i sensing a bit of sexism.? Oh she's a woman and shouldn't behave like that? Have you watched men's tennis and witnessed some of their antics? And would a male player have been docked a game in the same circumstances? I think not.

54 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

And would a male player have been docked a game in the same circumstances? I think not.

What,  receiving coaching from the sidelines (1st violation), smashing a racquet (2nd violation) and then calling the Umpire a liar and a thief?

Any player would have received a game penalty at that stage irrespective of gender.

2 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

I'm sure she will be bothered about a nonentity on a St Mirren forum finding it difficult to call her a lady.

Emotion is a big part of any world class sportsman or woman.  She might be the most famous sportswoman in the world right now and is just getting back from almost losing her life in childbirth. She has dominated a sport for 20 years and has been a fantastic role model, particularly to women. So get off your usual high horse and cut her some slack.

You make a point of saying she's a female player. Good spot!! Am i sensing a bit of sexism.? Oh she's a woman and shouldn't behave like that? Have you watched men's tennis and witnessed some of their antics? And would a male player have been docked a game in the same circumstances? I think not.

Can I ask a couple of questions? Firstly. Is Serena a woman? If the answer is yes, and I would say she is, then why would he say anything other than that? He would have been lambasted for saying she wasn't. Secondly. Why in hell do you think this umpire would treat a male player different? Are you saying HE's sexist?

Of course a male player would. Check out Nick Kyrgios record on violations and bans . Williams coach admitted he cheated and got caught. The game docked was for her ridiculous “I demand an apology, cheat and liar “ outburst .
I found her “I have a daughter “ rant particularly cringeworthy .

Also , you’re quoting the fact she is a role model and been at the top of her game for 20years as if it should excuse her appalling behaviour ?? Lance Armstrong was at the pinnacle of his sport , fought a life threatening disease and was idolised by millions, do you think we should just forget what came next ??

She is / was massive role model and she has sullied her reputation by behaviour fit only for for a four year old.

Apart from anything else to distract from her opponents big day in the way she did by turning it into the Serena Williams pantomime is unforgivable. The poor lass was distraught on what should have been the highlight of her career to date.

So we are now comparing one outburst to a serial drugs cheat and suggesting her standing as probably the best woman tennis player ever is going to be defined by one outburst on a tennis court. 

We live in a era where everyone seems so  easily offended, appalled and are far too judgemental.

Oh and I think the 'poor lass' (her name is Naomi Osaka by the way)  might find some comfort in the $3.8 million prize!!!

8 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

So we are now comparing one outburst to a serial drugs cheat and suggesting her standing as probably the best woman tennis player ever is going to be defined by one outburst on a tennis court. 

We live in a era where everyone seems so  easily offended, appalled and are far too judgemental.

Oh and I think the 'poor lass' (her name is Naomi Osaka by the way)  might find some comfort in the $3.8 million prize!!!

Bad loser.  End of.  Congratulations to the winner and move on. 

8 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Bad loser.  End of.  Congratulations to the winner and move on. 

Spot on Ricky , she can dress it up any way she wants , but she has previous , particularly later in her career when she hits the gamesmanship button. She should be embarrassed standing next to the girl who just blew her off the court .

7 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Poor show by this female player.  Difficult to call her a lady. 

I'm curious why you made a point of saying female player and not tennis player? And whether she is a lady (whatever that means in your world) is irrelevant.  She's a world class elite athlete who did not like being effectively called a cheat and let her emotions get the better of her. It happens in sport, especially at the level she plays. But the fact she is a woman is irrelevant.

Sexist- Judging someone by their gender.  Now tell me your post wasn't sexist!

5 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

I'm curious why you made a point of saying female player and not tennis player? And whether she is a lady (whatever that means in your world) is irrelevant.  She's a world class elite athlete who did not like being effectively called a cheat and let her emotions get the better of her. It happens in sport, especially at the level she plays. But the fact she is a woman is irrelevant.

Can't condone the reference to female and lady but I do agree Williams was quick enough to call the umpire a cheat.

The question shouldn't be, "Would a male tennis player receive the same punishment"? It should be, Would this particular umpire deal with a player, male or female, the same way"? 

I suspect the answer would be an emphatic YES!

Williams behaved appallingly. No ifs. No buts. No sexism.

6 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Had a male tennis player been involved then I would have mentioned that and the fact that he was a man but was certainly not a gentleman. The behaviour was appalling coming from either sex.

The lack of respect shown to the official cannot be excused whatever the provocation.  A very bad example to young people watching. 

I for one,  would like to see much harsher punishment for dissent and cheating (as judged by the officials) on the football field and welcome the umpires decision. He showed courage in making the call.

17 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

I think he is making the distinction between a woman and a lady in the same way as men and gentlemen are considered two different things in a sporting context.  One is the way you are born and the other is how your behaviours, and nothing else, define you.

For many years, gentlemanly conduct has been a requirement of football and many other sports-it is all about equality.

11 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

As already mentioned, she has previous on the gamesmanship front and this is not "one outburst" .  In fact, it was a series of outbursts in one match.

However I applaud your ability to discuss how easily offended and appaled people have become whilst at the same time parading your own vicarious outrage.

And the footage of a well-deserved champion taking her first ( i almost said "maiden"-whoops) grand slam title being booed because hee opponent couldn't keep the dummy in was scandalous.  

And citing the fee that Osaka lifted seems to suggest that you are a proponent of bullying and intimidation in the workplace.

At least Ms Williams is comforted by her hundreds of millions.

8 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

As already mentioned, she has previous on the gamesmanship front and this is not "one outburst" .  In fact, it was a series of outbursts in one match.

However I applaud your ability to discuss how easily offended and appaled people have become whilst at the same time parading your own vicarious outrage.

And the footage of a well-deserved champion taking her first ( i almost said "maiden"-whoops) grand slam title being booed because hee opponent couldn't keep the dummy in was scandalous.  

And citing the fee that Osaka lifted seems to suggest that you are a proponent of bullying and intimidation in the workplace.

At least Ms Williams is comforted by her hundreds of millions.

I think you're missing the point...............

This has escalated way past an outburst, and Serena's millions are irrelevant .

The question today, is not about her outburst( which was appalling) it's are men treated differently than woman when outburst occur in tennis......

That's the discussion

I would say in all sport woman get a rough deal....................................

Edited by DougJamie