Serena Williams .

Callum Gilhooley

27 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I think you're missing the point...............

This has escalated way past an outburst, and Serena's millions are irrelevant .

The question today, is not about her outburst( which was appalling) it's are men treated differently than woman when outburst occur in tennis......

That's the discussion

I would say in all sport woman get a rough deal....................................

You'd say it, but can you prove it?

29 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I think you're missing the point...............

This has escalated way past an outburst, and Serena's millions are irrelevant .

The question today, is not about her outburst( which was appalling) it's are men treated differently than woman when outburst occur in tennis......

That's the discussion

I would say in all sport woman get a rough deal....................................

I would say that women get a pretty good deal, especially in tennis.

Getting the same prize money as men, IMO, is nowhere near "equal" as they only play 2-3 sets compared to 3-5.

Play the same rules as men then get the same rewards.

26 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I would say that women get a pretty good deal, especially in tennis.

Getting the same prize money as men, IMO, is nowhere near "equal" as they only play 2-3 sets compared to 3-5.

Play the same rules as men then get the same rewards.

It has nothing to do with Sets, its to do with TV , markets and also a very PC 21st century ( You should consider joining it :1eye)

T

20 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Some detail on that please? other than a hopeful series of full stops

Choose a sport ?

Athletics, Tennis, .................... anything?

Why should gender determine pay or in this case penalties ?

I am not condoning Williams incidentally but again its not the point of this debate....................... 

14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

It has nothing to do with Sets, its to do with TV , markets and also a very PC 21st century ( You should consider joining it :1eye)

T

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Oh dear

You managed to get one reply in before you go down the personal line

Your getting very predictable,  

As I said, "stupid club" member, and proud.  :lol:

23 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Choose a sport ?

I am not condoning Williams incidentally but again its not the point of this debate....................... 

Thread Title-Serena Williams

First Post

Tennis machine Serena blows a Gasket then claims sexism by the umpire !? !

Really Serena, you dont think , cheating, smashing a raquet  then calling the Umpire a thief and a liar may have contributed ??? 

That is the debate I joined, you have gone off on a tangent and taken it somewhere else and accuse me of missing the point.

I suppose I am missing it if the point is to make up your own rules as you go along just so you can tell everyone else they are getting it wrong.

36 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Thread Title-Serena Williams

First Post

Tennis machine Serena blows a Gasket then claims sexism by the umpire !? !

Really Serena, you dont think , cheating, smashing a raquet  then calling the Umpire a thief and a liar may have contributed ??? 

That is the debate I joined, you have gone off on a tangent and taken it somewhere else and accuse me of missing the point.

I suppose I am missing it if the point is to make up your own rules as you go along just so you can tell everyone else they are getting it wrong.

It was you that was going off point

I am not telling anyone else just you

Making up my own rules ?? :lol:

Few of us , if any,  would argue that the behaviour of Serena Williams was in any way justified.  A terrible example for young people watching. I would be equally critical of a player of either gender.  The punishment was deserved and in retrospect might seem lenient as she has damaged the image of the sport. Cheating should never be confined.  Dissent is rife in professional sports although I have to say that our women's football team give an excellent example in respecting the decisions made by officials.  Maybe Serena could watch a match and learn. 

6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Had a male tennis player been involved then I would have mentioned that and the fact that he was a man but was certainly not a gentleman. The behaviour was appalling coming from either sex.

The lack of respect shown to the official cannot be excused whatever the provocation.  A very bad example to young people watching. 

I for one,  would like to see much harsher punishment for dissent and cheating (as judged by the officials) on the football field and welcome the umpires decision. He showed courage in making the call.

The world today is like walking broken glass , yes it has moved on rightly but one has to be very careful. She lost the match pumped up with adrenalin took a tantrum which could have caused the umpire a whole lot of problems. 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The world today is like walking broken glass , yes it has moved on rightly but one has to be very careful. She lost the match pumped up with adrenalin took a tantrum which could have caused the umpire a whole lot of problems. 

She was also accused of being "coached" which in effect is cheating................. her coach later admitted he did coach her, and Serena even said sorry when the umpire had a quiet word with her.

This was all about her losing- nothing else............... crazy thing is McEnroe, who has been mentioned, said he deliberately had tantrums  to put off his opponent . This was a red mist moment

Yeah , poor women tennis players get a bad deal and are picked on. The stats from this US Open back it up.  :lol:

What do the stats say?

Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam champion, was one of 10 women punished for code violations at this year's US Open, while 26 men were fined.

Most of the fines issued were for racquet violations - 14 men and five women.

Three men and three women were penalised for an audible obscenity, five men were fined for time delays, while four men and one woman were penalised for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Williams was one of only two women punished for on-court coaching, alongside Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova, while no men were penalised for this offence.

Former world number one Williams was the only player punished for verbal abuse, which landed her a $10,000 (£7,732) fine - the largest issued at this year's tournament.

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Choose a sport ?

Surely to get a direct comparison the sexes would have to be doing the same thing and at the same level. Its not being sexist to point out theyre not.

If it is to be judged on TV ratings , the men had almost three times the audience of the women 

If its ability alone , let them compete in a true open field and well see how that pans out.

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Surely to get a direct comparison the sexes would have to be doing the same thing and at the same level. Its not being sexist to point out theyre not.

If it is to be judged on TV ratings , the men had almost three times the audience of the women 

If its ability alone , let them compete in a true open field and well see how that pans out.

Market forces.  

22 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Mate, its the way it is.................. the Battle of the Sexes in 2018 , and moving forward will be a draw in this PC world

So its not really a discussion or a viewpoint