Title Winners if the Old Firm never existed

Cornwall_Saint

Link

This makes for a very interesting read. The person who did this removed all points earned against Celtic, Rangers and Sevco. As a result the team who was runner up/third that season may not have won the league due to those results.

St Mirren would have won two titles. The first would have came in the third ever season of Scottish football in 1892-1893. We would have beaten Third Lanark to the title and would be the second team to claim the trophy after Dumbarton won the first two titles. Our second and last success would have been 1901/1902 where we would have shared the title with Hearts.

We would have also been runners up on three occasions. 1925/26 to Hearts (that season was won by Celtic and Airdrionians were the runners up to them). 1931/32 to Motherwell, who were the actual champions that year ahead of Rangers. 1978/79 would have been our latest runners up season to Dundee United (bigots claimed top 2 that year).

Hearts would have been Scotland's most successful club with 26 titles followed by Aberdeen on 23.

Worryingly for us Morton would have won 5 titles and 3 runners up medals. They nearly won 6 in a row between 1913/14 to 1918/19. The 1914/15 season saw them runners up to Hearts, while they would have shared 1917/18 with Kilmarnock.

Motherwell would have managed 8-in-a-row between 1926-1934.

There's no way to gauge what would have happened. Every team would have gained support and, in turn, extra revenue. It could be argued those closest to the two @rse cheeks would have gained more than others. This may or may not have influenced League wins which in turn may have increased gates in future seasons. Saints could have ended up with a 28,000+ all seater stadium. We can all dream. Pie in the sky to the extent I don't know why the author even bothered. Must have been bored watching Scotland.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Link

This makes for a very interesting read. The person who did this removed all points earned against Celtic, Rangers and Sevco. As a result the team who was runner up/third that season may not have won the league due to those results.

St Mirren would have won two titles. The first would have came in the third ever season of Scottish football in 1892-1893. We would have beaten Third Lanark to the title and would be the second team to claim the trophy after Dumbarton won the first two titles. Our second and last success would have been 1901/1902 where we would have shared the title with Hearts.

We would have also been runners up on three occasions. 1925/26 to Hearts (that season was won by Celtic and Airdrionians were the runners up to them). 1931/32 to Motherwell, who were the actual champions that year ahead of Rangers. 1978/79 would have been our latest runners up season to Dundee United (bigots claimed top 2 that year).

Hearts would have been Scotland's most successful club with 26 titles followed by Aberdeen on 23.

Worryingly for us Morton would have won 5 titles and 3 runners up medals. They nearly won 6 in a row between 1913/14 to 1918/19. The 1914/15 season saw them runners up to Hearts, while they would have shared 1917/18 with Kilmarnock.

Great post and thread Cornwall.  l

All what ifs and buts but still fun. 

28 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

There's no way to gauge what would have happened. Every team would have gained support and, in turn, extra revenue. It could be argued those closest to the two @rse cheeks would have gained more than others. This may or may not have influenced League wins which in turn may have increased gates in future seasons. Saints could have ended up with a 28,000+ all seater stadium. We can all dream. Pie in the sky to the extent I don't know why the author even bothered. Must have been bored watching Scotland.

You are correct here.

But even though I often point to The Butterfly Effect in many situations in life, sometimes it's nice to sit back and see the "What Ifs" without thinking about it too literally :wink:

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Link

What if you hadn't started this thread, would I be reading the forum or posting on another thread? Would I still be in the pub? Would I have met my Mrs or would I be a multimillionaire if you say could have happened happended. Pointless in my opinion but might be  pleasing to others, We are what we are and we are all proud of our own personal and club history

2 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

What if you hadn't started this thread, would I be reading the forum or posting on another thread? Would I still be in the pub? Would I have met my Mrs or would I be a multimillionaire if you say could have happened happended. Pointless in my opinion but might be  pleasing to others, We are what we are and we are all proud of our own personal and club history

Escapism isn't your thing then chalky1

10 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Boo boy. :P

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Link

Just reflecting on the article. This might give a glimpse of how things might be should both Celtic and The Govan Team leave Scottish Football.  No real surprise that Hearts,  Hibs and Aberdeen might be the top teams.  Might Start Mirren make it to 4th?

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Just reflecting on the article. This might give a glimpse of how things might be should both Celtic and The Govan Team leave Scottish Football.  No real surprise that Hearts,  Hibs and Aberdeen might be the top teams.  Might Start Mirren make it to 4th?

I think Motherwell would be in with a shout to be up there and Challenge regularly.

Had Dundee gone the way of Paisley or Aberdeen and only had 1 club, they could have had a very successful team.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I think Motherwell would be in with a shout to be up there and Challenge regularly.

Had Dundee gone the way of Paisley or Aberdeen and only had 1 club, they could have had a very successful team.

Tend to agree.  I lived in Dundee and went to watch United when Dundee were the fashionable club. 

Didn't make sense then to have two stadiums 100 yards apart on the same street and still doesn't. 

11 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Tend to agree.  I lived in Dundee and went to watch United when Dundee were the fashionable club. 

Didn't make sense then to have two stadiums 100 yards apart on the same street and still doesn't. 

It's a strange set up but at this point there is no way you could get them to merge for obvious reasons.

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

it nearly happened but Peter Marr pulled out. 

The new stadium planned for Dundee FC might ressurect the possibility. 

I honestly can't see it. I wouldn't follow or support a St Mirren-Morton merger. Two clubs who've been around a long time (United with good history too), there's no way that would be accepted by the fans.

13 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I honestly can't see it. I wouldn't follow or support a St Mirren-Morton merger. Two clubs who've been around a long time (United with good history too), there's no way that would be accepted by the fans.

The alternative argument in favour of two teams is that they have big gates against each other 4 times a year when they are in the same league. But it nearly happened.