2 days alcohol free?...... WHOOPEEEEE!

stlucifer

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, just seen a piece on this on the news.

Surely it should be 2 days max ON the bevvy? 

This sends out the wrong message IMO. 

Agreed.

I don't know much about metabolism but I do know that aldehydes and ketones are by products of alcohol breakdown in the body. Both of those are highly toxic. There isn't a variety of aldehyde or ketone which isn't toxic as far as I know. It's therefore not surprising that experts are saying there isn't a safe amount of alcohol to drink.

We need to get to a point where alcohol is seen as a treat. Same with junk food. The cost to the NHS per year because of the consequences of food and alcohol abuse must be astronomical.

Watched Adrian Childs and Frank Skinner talking about what they were both drinking. Childs was talking about 100 units a week. Neither of them seemed to think this was a problem but that's around 50 pints a week. Apparently this isn't uncommon. I genuinely had no idea the situation was this bad. Not much shocks me these days but the idea of lots of people thinking 50 to 100 units a week of alcohol is not alcoholism genuinely shocked me. Maybe it's just the media hyping it up.

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, oaksoft said:

We need to get to a point where alcohol is seen as a treat. Same with junk food. The cost to the NHS per year because of the consequences of food and alcohol abuse must be astronomical.

Watched Adrian Childs and Frank Skinner talking about what they were both drinking. Childs was talking about 100 units a week. Neither of them seemed to think this was a problem but that's around 50 pints a week. Apparently this isn't uncommon. I genuinely had no idea the situation was this bad. Not much shocks me these days but the idea of lots of people thinking 50 to 100 units a week of alcohol is not alcoholism genuinely shocked me. Maybe it's just the media hyping it up.

Childs has been explaining that the "idea" of an alcoholic is not the "drinking every morning, sleeping rough, drinking in public" etc that people think.

It's become, as you indicate, an everyday occurrence for many.

I do remember it was a treat, New Year being the main celebration.

Now, enough of this baloney, almost time to pour a drink before the football. :wink:

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Childs has been explaining that the "idea" of an alcoholic is not the "drinking every morning, sleeping rough, drinking in public" etc that people think.

It's become, as you indicate, an everyday occurrence for many.

I do remember it was a treat, New Year being the main celebration.

Now, enough of this baloney, almost time to pour a drink before the football. :wink:

I completely forgot there was a game on.