The Oran Kearney Interviews Thread

shull

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hadnt realised he was living away from his family. That, in my opinion is a mistake. I get that they have a nice, settled life (home, school, jobs etc) back in Ireland. But the pressure Oran is already under, that will compound with every negative result is the very reason that you need those closest to you, around as much as possible.

You need to be able to get away from that pressure, and walking through your front door, to the family at the end of each day is the one sure fire way to stay sane, balanced and find the renewed energy etc to tackle the next day. If you are going back to an empty flat, or hotel, after a bad result, with the boos and insults ringing in your ears, as well as a board who seem to flip, flop every second then you'll wonder "What the f**k am I doing all this for?"

The club should have made it a condition he stayed within 30 easy commutable miles of Paisley, that is what a responsible employer does to limit the stress, loneliness and torture of being parted from your family. I hope either Oran demands they cover the costs for it, or the club actually take proactive steps to support this young manager and his family in a responsible way.

Perhaps his family have no interest in moving to a commutable distance from Paisley ?  I agree with you in principal that it makes his job mentally tougher but I can't see how we could insist that his family move here with him after all it's not his family we are employing.  I doubt this is through any fault of the club and would assume it's 100% the decision of the Kearney family which we must respect.  We also need to remember they are under an hour away from Paisley by flight, it's not exactly difficult for them to visit on a pretty regular basis which is bound to have been another factor in their decision.  I don't think this is a stick we can use to beat any of the parties involved here, it's a very personal choice.

19 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hadnt realised he was living away from his family. That, in my opinion is a mistake. I get that they have a nice, settled life (home, school, jobs etc) back in Ireland. But the pressure Oran is already under, that will compound with every negative result is the very reason that you need those closest to you, around as much as possible.

You need to be able to get away from that pressure, and walking through your front door, to the family at the end of each day is the one sure fire way to stay sane, balanced and find the renewed energy etc to tackle the next day. If you are going back to an empty flat, or hotel, after a bad result, with the boos and insults ringing in your ears, as well as a board who seem to flip, flop every second then you'll wonder "What the f**k am I doing all this for?"

The club should have made it a condition he stayed within 30 easy commutable miles of Paisley, that is what a responsible employer does to limit the stress, loneliness and torture of being parted from your family. I hope either Oran demands they cover the costs for it, or the club actually take proactive steps to support this young manager and his family in a responsible way.

Why should the club do that?.

Happens all the time in football when players/managers commute. Also , lets be honest here. We are hardly a rock solid club at seeing out contracts. In this day and age, football and family really need to be disconnected ................. and its a 30 minute plane ride

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Perhaps his family have no interest in moving to a commutable distance from Paisley ?  I agree with you in principal that it makes his job mentally tougher but I can't see how we could insist that his family move here with him after all it's not his family we are employing.  I doubt this is through any fault of the club and would assume it's 100% the decision of the Kearney family which we must respect.  We also need to remember they are under an hour away from Paisley by flight, it's not exactly difficult for them to visit on a pretty regular basis which is bound to have been another factor in their decision.  I don't think this is a stick we can use to beat any of the parties involved here, it's a very personal choice.

I am sure its Oran and his famlies choice. Being an hour away by plane is not the same as actually going home each night, and yes as an employer I enforced the ruling on living within a 30 mile commutable radius to safeguard both the employee, and the business.

the club can insist he move within a reasonable timescale to a commutable distance. Its a simple clause in many, many contracts of employment there to protect the company, and the welfare of the employee. People will say, do and agree to almost anything when they get offered their dream job. A responsible employer has to see past that and make decisions that are in the best interests of all parties.

think of it a different way? Oran has taken the step to manage here in the premiership, no doubt he would like to be successful and progress like Jack Ross. That as far as i can see wont happen in Ireland, so is he going to live away from his family for the remainder of his management career?

the club should be all over getting Oran and his family settled here. That is how a good employer protects its assets and builds for the future.

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Happens all the time in football when players/managers commute. Also , lets be honest here. We are hardly a rock solid club at seeing out contracts. In this day and age, football and family really need to be disconnected ................. and its a 30 minute plane ride

Yeah... i bet his family would love reading this. 

The man has a life much more important, and will be so much longer than his time with SMFC ever will. 

Your quote almost reads as its a given he will fail and be sacked! What kind of twisted logic is that to not see the employer has a duty of care over their employees welfare?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Just now, renfrew said:

He's not the only manager in this league living in a different country from his family. His/family choice and nothing to do with us.

Again, its the duty of a RESPONSIBLE employer to consider the welfare of all its employees. It is first and foremost the employers responsibility. They're the body who could be held to account for failing in their responsibilities.

on top of that this highlights a huge contradiction in the chairmans statements surrounding the high profile, foriegn applicants for  the job in the summer. If you recall Scott declared it was "Unrealistic" to consider the likes of Guti and Kluivert because of the upheaval they, and their family would have to go through all moving to be near the place of employment. Obviously declaring that the club wouldn't countenance an applicant not fully committing to the club, the community etc...

move on three months and thats all seems to have gone by the way, as Oran has been employed in Paisley, but lives (to all intensive purposes)near Coleraine!

if we continue to endure tough results, but look to build for the future are you happy the manager could decide its not worth the separation, heartache and loneliness anymore and return home? Havent the club learned anything about supporting the person under the greatest daily pressure at the club ffs! How many young managers have to fail before they get that they have serious responsibilities to honour?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Again, its the duty of a RESPONSIBLE employer to consider the welfare of all its employees. It is first and foremost the employers responsibility. They're the body who could be held to account for failing in their responsibilities.

on top of that this highlights a huge contradiction in the chairmans statements surrounding the high profile, foriegn applicants for  the job in the summer. If you recall Scott declared it was "Unrealistic" to consider the likes of Guti and Kluivert because of the upheaval they, and their family would have to go through all moving to be near the place of employment. Obviously declaring that the club wouldn't countenance an applicant not fully committing to the club, the community etc...

move on three months and thats all seems to have gone by the way, as Oran has been employed in Paisley, but lives (to all intensive purposes)near Coleraine!

if we continue to endure tough results, but look to build for the future are you happy the manager could decide its not worth the separation, heartache and loneliness anymore and return home? Havent the club learned anything about supporting the person under the greatest daily pressure at the club ffs! How many young managers have to fail before they get that they have serious responsibilities to honour?

Away and get a life FFS   :lol:

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

OK mentioned his wife has a really good job and the school term hasn't long started so i would imagine they would want to get the kids settled in their school and potentially think about it next summer at the earliest.

35 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Indeed.

My wife's boss lives in Ireland and commutes to Scotland every week.

He has a wife and two kids.

Common practice these days.

I'm sure I read that Stephen Gerard's wife has not moved to Glasgow and is staying in Liverpool.

Someone is living in fantasy land and having yet another go at the club.

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Fair enough chaps, if (hopefully not) it doesn't workout for Oran, and the board pull the rip cord again this season, perhaps you may have a different perspective? The chairman was explicitly clear in the summer he wanted someone on the doorstep!

You do have half a point, working away from home can be difficult and not everybody can handle it, but plenty do, and have done for years.

Trying to turn it into some lack of care by the club is, well, enough said. 

53 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

My wife's boss lives in Ireland and commutes to Scotland every week.

He has a wife and two kids.

Common practice these days.

I'm sure I read that Stephen Gerard's wife has not moved to Glasgow and is staying in Liverpool.

Someone is living in fantasy land and having yet another go at the club.

I worked 5 weeks away 5 weeks home. Offshore workers work away all the time. There are a few guys here who work in London while their wife 's stay here. If something negative can be found LPM is sure to find. A flight to N. I. takes less than a hour while the ferry 's are frequent. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Anyway, I'm sure the interview went something like this. 

BOD: So let's talk about living arrangements 

OK :Yeah I'd be moving over here and my family would stay put for the time being and we'll review it at a later stage.

BOD:Fair enough. 

In LPM's world. This is gross negligence and a failure of the care of duty of our board that we didn't immediately terminate the interview process and move onto someone who lives in Hunterhill. 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I worked 5 weeks away 5 weeks home. Offshore workers work away all the time. There are a few guys here who work in London while their wife 's stay here. If something negative can be found LPM is sure to find. A flight to N. I. takes less than a hour while the ferry 's are frequent. 

Aside from the fact you seem to be suggesting Oran takes a six hour or more round commute everyday. When you  worked elsewhere, As well as being away from a young family all week did you have to face disgruntled fans, an apathetic board and bloodthirsty media at the end of each working day?

the manager at a club is under enormous daily pressure which is only componded when that club isnt getting results. To leave that, and go back to an empty flat isn't conducive to someone's short, medium or long term mental health. 

Forgive me for bringing it up on your quote but i cant help but see the contradiction of the fickle football fan on here who berates his club, and others for never ensuring there is 'Stability' at the club, but who then goes on to call for a managers dismissal after a few weeks, to then laud the new manager as 'one for the future, someone who will get to build their own team" but then chasties any suggestion that may actually help promote that stability and support that new young manager and family as "Anti the club"

each to their own, i just dont get the blinkered attitude that everything the club does is obviously right! And the contorted view of what constitutes 'stability'. For me its simple. i want Oran to succeed, to support that, I, through experience know having your family, especially a young one around you is so important. Once you pass that up its gone forever, and only resentment takes its place.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyway, I'm sure the interview went something like this. 

BOD: So let's talk about living arrangements 

OK :Yeah I'd be moving over here and my family would stay put for the time being and we'll review it at a later stage.

BOD:Fair enough. 

In LPM's world. This is gross negligence and a failure of the care of duty of our board that we didn't immediately terminate the interview process and move onto someone who lives in Hunterhill. 

Sorry, didnt know you were in on the interview, big apologies.