The Oran Kearney Interviews Thread

shull

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I shouldn't bite BUT Baird has played in the Scottish Premiership previously and has been in the team every time this season I believe - so not injury prone either. He has also been one of the most capable, consistent and hard working players in many of the games. He is human and has made a few mistakes or things that have not worked out at times, but I would hate to imagine what the scores would have been with KP or the very injury prone Heaton at the heart of our defence. KP is as slow as a sloth....Heaton has managed to get on the bench twice I think..

Cooke and King are not good enough for the Scottish 2nd division...

The underlying issue is the squad overall is not good enough and the number of players who are injured has left us thin on the ground. I think the subs on Saturday apart from the Goalie were all really midfielders. (I know some say Smith is a forward, but he works in midfield and pushes on to support the strikers more than an all out striker.) No manager would want that kind of balance - so why would he have it - these were the fittest.best guys he had available.

Stubbs and injuries left OK a bad hand - given time more of the Jackson, Ferdinand and Hammill quality and more fit players will definitely help... Give this manager your support - what a difficult task he has taken on....

Baird had some games in the premiership as a youngster, i dont hold it against him, he was young and learning his trade. To suggest though he has been sime sort of stand out player this season is imo looking at it with the old rise tinted bins on.

my point about Heaton, Cooke, King and Kpwenka is we dont really know if we seen there best, maybe each of them can step up and give tbe manager genuine options? Who knows? What we do know is Oran running back through the squad to give every waif and stray a chance is a waste of time! Most of those guys couldnt cut it when we were away at the likes of Brechin!

the real issue with our injury list is Jack Ross giving cintracts to two of the most injury prone defenders in the country! We cant play them, we cant ship them out, Oran, and Stubbs before him were stuffed up.

i support the manager, my fear though is, unless he gets a win Wednesday then he might go the rest of this year without one and the board will have to sort out another of their mistakes. To be clear Oran knew what he was taking on, he had a choice and was convinced he could make us better, its up to him to back that up with some results.

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I watched a Northern Ireland league match on Sky the other night. It was like watching the Juniors. 

I see that East Fife had won 8 games on the trot until they came up against Dumbarton and their new manager Jim Duffy at the weekend, and got cuffed 4 nil by the Sons.

You've got to wonder what qualifications Gordon Scott and the rest of his so called Board have for recruitment and selection.

I wouldnt have posted those words, but a lot of people are labouring under the misapprehension that the Northern Ireland league stands up against the Premiership.

it doesnt stand up against the Scottish Championship ffs.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I wouldnt have posted those words, but a lot of people are labouring under the misapprehension that the Northern Ireland league stands up against the Premiership.

it doesnt stand up against the Scottish Championship ffs.

We took Alex Ferguson from East Stirlingshire

We took Jack Ross from Alloa

Management is management no matter the level. Oran hasn't even had a transfer window yet. His signings so far have made positive contributions. This forum is ridiculous at times, managers being wrote off based on bizarre views. I love discussion about football but writing a manager off based on the league he came from is daft!

We are not a big club and have no god given right to be any higher than we are right now. Lets give the man a chance and see what he can do. 

8 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Management is management no matter the level. Oran hasn't even had a transfer window yet. His signings so far have made positive contributions. This forum is ridiculous at times, managers being wrote off based on bizarre views. I love discussion about football but writing a manager off based on the league he came from is daft!

We are not a big club and have no god given right to be any higher than we are right now. Lets give the man a chance and see what he can do. 

The same chance we gave Stubbs? 

It seems it was ok to slag off, and worse, Stubbs but if anyone raises concerns about Kearney it's seen as unnecessary negativity? 

It's early days but there is little to suggest he can lift us out of our current situation.

The January window is being seen as our possible saviour, forgetting other teams will have the same opportunity and will be a better prospect for any players, especially if we are stranded with Dundee keeping us company. 

PS You do make two good examples of managers who could get the best out of players, not seeing this, at this stage, from Kearney. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It seems it was ok to slag off, and worse, Stubbs but if anyone raises concerns about Kearney it's seen as unnecessary negativity? 

It's early day but there is little to suggest he can lift us out of our current situation.

The January window is being seen as our possible saviour, forgetting other teams will have the same opportunity and will be a better prospect for any players, especially if we are stranded with Dundee keeping us company. 

PS You do make two good examples of managers who could get the best out of players, not seeing this, at this stage, from Kearney. 

Jack Ross got very little out a lot of the players , hence the big turnover in his first transfer window. 

Jack Ross inherited better players in a lesser league , and it still took him time to get it right . It wasn't until the start of February that the team started to produce results consistently , I also think the Saints bteam that played the last quarter that season is the best we have had since the league cup winning team , and if we can put together a team of that standard I think we can stay up.

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's early days but there is little to suggest he can lift us out of our current situation.

You know as well as everyone else that it wasn't as simple as that with Stubbs, fairly obvious that things were going on behind the scenes

I've saw improvements since Oran came in.

Performance against Celtic was good - well organised defence

Hamilton away was very poor. (hate that playing surface but you can't entirely blame that)

Hibs we were arguably the better team for parts of that game, should have got a draw but defensive error at the back post cost us a point. Had chances, don't feel it was a bad performance.

Aberdeen away - we're always crap at Aberdeen for some reason. Very bad performance but a better second half. Defeated by a much better team on the day. 

Killie, we were the better team 1st half. Again, we could have won the game but some bad defending + Willie Collum made sure we got nothing

St Johnstone - worst performance yet, didn't think we showed much, but over the course I'd say we've performed better than we did under Stubbs. 

Jackson - great signing but needs service

Hammill - exactly the type of player we need

Anton Ferdinand - if we can keep him fit he is a great signing 

You're right that good managers get the most out of players - but when you're up against teams who have better players, it's very difficult to win games, even if we are playing at our best!

19 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Who is writing off anyone? I simply and clearly stated how poor the Northern Irish League is in comparison to the premiership. I never mentioned or intimated that ANY individual should be written off.  That league has produced good players, and managers. The reality is though not a lot.

and given the unconfirmed news drifiting in that Oran has asked Jimmy Nicholl to join him only confirms the fact that currently, Oran's arse is oot the windae. But at least he kniws this and is desperately trying to do something about it.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Who is writing off anyone? I simply and clearly stated how poor the Northern Irish League is in comparison to the premiership. I never mentioned or intimated that ANY individual should be written off.  That league has produced good players, and managers. The reality is though not a lot.

and given the unconfirmed news drifiting in that Oran has asked Jimmy Nicholl to join him only confirms the fact that currently, Oran's arse is oot the windae. But at least he kniws this and is desperately trying to do something about it.

Does it aye? :whistle

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

It was more aimed at the guy you'd replied to, forum quoting doesn't embed previous quotes! 

Tbh I've got the feeling that the management team are preparing for a major overhaul - that might explain why JN is coming in. Don't think it's a bad move, knows the game inside out and has the experience to deal with players and get the most out of the squad we end up with. Squad is far too big at the moment.

20 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Can you imagine is Stubbs had made a similar "slip of the tongue".............................fecking carnage. 

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

We don't "know" albeit widely reported Neilson indicated he felt our expectations were unrealistic, but, like all these things, only a few really know.

You have to wonder why he would knock us back as, on paper, we look a decent bet. In fact if you remember Div posted that we would have a queue of prospective managers applying, suggesting we were a nice club. Feck, I nearly applied myself after reading that. 

Yes, we don't know if he would done any better but one things for sure, it would be hard to do much worse. 

Agree McGennis is a big miss. 

Can you imagine if Stubbs had said "McGennis"? .............fecking carnage. :o:P

Just now, Doakes said:

It was more aimed at the guy you'd replied to, forum quoting doesn't embed previous quotes! 

Tbh I've got the feeling that the management team are preparing for a major overhaul - that might explain why JN is coming in. Don't think it's a bad move, knows the game inside out and has the experience to deal with players and get the most out of the squad we end up with. Squad is far too big at the moment.

We all hope Oran can find a way through this, and perhaps JN can help free up some space in his head to make the right decisions? The flip side though is if it makes no positive impact he gets tarnished with the same brush as Stubbs, (spending more and more, that makes no improvement).

i wanted JN beside him at the outset, it was a no-brainer, but the club wouldn't sanction it, now they have been forced to do something to back their man.

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We all hope Oran can find a way through this, and perhaps JN can help free up some space in his head to make the right decisions? The flip side though is if it makes no positive impact he gets tarnished with the same brush as Stubbs, (spending more and more, that makes no improvement).

i wanted JN beside him at the outset, it was a no-brainer, but the club wouldn't sanction it, now they have been forced to do something to back their man.

My personal view is that everything from the SMISA £2 spend, to potentially crowdfunding our wage budget should be looked at to dig us out of this situation in January. Staying in the Prem would be massive for the club. Agree with you that JN should have been brought in earlier. (as Oran suggested) 

I fully expect 8 or 9 to leave during the window, possibly even more. Need to bring in 4 Premiership level players at the least.

6 minutes ago, Doakes said:

My personal view is that everything from the SMISA £2 spend, to potentially crowdfunding our wage budget should be looked at to dig us out of this situation in January. Staying in the Prem would be massive for the club. Agree with you that JN should have been brought in earlier. (as Oran suggested) 

I fully expect 8 or 9 to leave during the window, possibly even more. Need to bring in 4 Premiership level players at the least.

We would like 8  or 9 to leave, but honestly who will take them? They will either stay and take a wage, or more money spunked on mutuals.

2 minutes ago, Maboza said:

We need to bin the 4-4-2.  Drop Mulllen. 

Get back to 4-2-3-1. 

Make us more compact and more difficult to beat. Midfield is a huge problem for us though this season. Mental to say that considering the number of midfielders we're carrying. 

Tend to agree. It’ll be boring, but if we clog up the game then gives us something to build on. 

It may also take some pressure from McGinn as he won’t need to be box to box.

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We would like 8  or 9 to leave, but honestly who will take them? They will either stay and take a wage, or more money spunked on mutuals.

I always felt the strongest point of JRs management was his ability to move on players who were out of the first team picture.

As to moving out players it'll undoubtedly come down to sweetening the deals. :(

As above, I am not questioning that
However I am questioning that disgraceful display v Fakes................. that was embarrassing , think others have said, the very least we expect is the players to give 100%

Well that’s 2 managers that get disgraceful performances out of these players.

Plenty players aren’t good enough for this level it’s as simple as that.

I don’t question they gave 100% from what i seen is plenty of bad decision making, lack of skill and poor reading of the game.

Also a huge lack of confidence

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

You know as well as everyone else that it wasn't as simple as that with Stubbs, fairly obvious that things were going on behind the scenes

I've saw improvements since Oran came in.

Performance against Celtic was good - well organised defence

Hamilton away was very poor. (hate that playing surface but you can't entirely blame that)

Hibs we were arguably the better team for parts of that game, should have got a draw but defensive error at the back post cost us a point. Had chances, don't feel it was a bad performance.

Aberdeen away - we're always crap at Aberdeen for some reason. Very bad performance but a better second half. Defeated by a much better team on the day. 

Killie, we were the better team 1st half. Again, we could have won the game but some bad defending + Willie Collum made sure we got nothing

St Johnstone - worst performance yet, didn't think we showed much, but over the course I'd say we've performed better than we did under Stubbs. 

Jackson - great signing but needs service

Hammill - exactly the type of player we need

Anton Ferdinand - if we can keep him fit he is a great signing 

You're right that good managers get the most out of players - but when you're up against teams who have better players, it's very difficult to win games, even if we are playing at our best!

Are things still happening behind the scenes?

What improvements above are you suggesting? Playing 10 Celtic players with a very large bus parked ?

Mate, this isnt about players ( Eh Livi ) its about formation and tactics ....................

Whats the tactics , and how can Fakes, Accies, Killie, Dons cut us to pieces ..................

Would have Clyde faired any worse in these games......................

When Jack came in, he did steady ship, we were in games and competing.

BOD made a massive mistake appointing Stubbs, however maybe the guy who they thought was not as good as Stubbs is not the answer

Hope I am wrong- but for me OK is way way out of is depth

What improvements above are you suggesting? Playing 10 Celtic players with a very large bus parked ?
Mate, this isnt about players ( Eh Livi ) its about formation and tactics ....................
Whats the tactics , and how can Fakes, Accies, Killie, Dons cut us to pieces ..................
BOD made a massive mistake appointing Stubbs, however maybe the guy who they thought was not as good as Stubbs is not the answer

what would you do differently?

Judging a guy coming into sort out this squad in such a short time outside a transfer window in a much harder league for us is very harsh.

Don’t you think hammill, Jackson and Ferdinand are any better than what the other manager managed to bring in during a transfer window being open.

For me OK has spotted issues with the squad straight away and looked to address what Stubbs had f**ked up all pre season.

Bringing in an experienced/decent Defender

Bring in a player that can play out wide.

And a half f**king decent striker with a bit of pace.

Still a hell of a lot of work to be done to sort out this mess of a squad and I don’t expect him to it this season I wouldn’t even expect pep or Alex Ferguson to be able to keep this squad in this league they simply aren’t good enough and I don’t believe we will have the budget to fix it all in January.

Far too early to be turning on Kearney

53 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Believe so. Some of the Stubbs signings not happy but I don't think they were good enough anyway

We created a few chances against Celtic and defended well. Was a great performance, especially before they went down to 10 men - we looked a bit confused once the gameplan had to change....

Fakes played some good stuff on Saturday but agree the performance was pish. Killie didn't exactly "cut us to pieces". For 20 mins in the second half but we could have won that game.

Don't know how you can say he's out of his depth when the 3 players he's actually brought in have clearly improved the squad??

Another 3 or 4 of that standard and we'll start getting somewhere

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Believe so. Some of the Stubbs signings not happy but I don't think they were good enough anyway

We created a few chances against Celtic and defended well. Was a great performance, especially before they went down to 10 men - we looked a bit confused once the gameplan had to change....

Fakes played some good stuff on Saturday but agree the performance was pish. Killie didn't exactly "cut us to pieces". For 20 mins in the second half but we could have won that game.

Don't know how you can say he's out of his depth when the 3 players he's actually brought in have clearly improved the squad??

Another 3 or 4 of that standard and we'll start getting somewhere

I am not anti Oran i am simply stating he is not demonstrating good tactics. That is a fact. Look at our stats. In his 6 games we have scored 2 goals and one of them is when we were 4 down. I still think we should be expecting better. Yes its early days but lose our next 3 we are adrift. 

I am not anti Oran i am simply stating he is not demonstrating good tactics. That is a fact. Look at our stats. In his 6 games we have scored 2 goals and one of them is when we were 4 down. I still think we should be expecting better. Yes its early days but lose our next 3 we are adrift. 

So you keep saying can you enlighten us to what tactics he should be using and is getting wrong?

51 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I’m not sure it’s entirely down to tactics if you look at the players we have available in each position. Very few formations available to us. Look at each game individually and we’ve had a clear game plan in each one. Not easy when we’re playing against teams that have better players and more depth in key areas. We barely have any wide players to pick from. 

Draw with Celtic was impressive. We set out the right way against Hibs and Killie. Aberdeen was a shocking start - didn’t turn up against St Johnstone. I don’t think it’s fair to blame the gaffer at this stage. Patching it up as best he can for now

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

I’m not sure it’s entirely down to tactics if you look at the players we have available in each position. Very few formations available to us. Look at each game individually and we’ve had a clear game plan in each one. Not easy when we’re playing against teams that have better players and more depth in key areas. We barely have any wide players to pick from. 

Draw with Celtic was impressive. We set out the right way against Hibs and Killie. Aberdeen was a shocking start - didn’t turn up against St Johnstone. I don’t think it’s fair to blame the gaffer at this stage. Patching it up as best he can for now

So with Well and Dundee coming up what is acceptable. What stage.... Jan window. We have 11/12 games to play till the window. Again i am not out to get OK however i would expect us to set up better. He has brought in 2 forward players. So i would say 442 would be better. If McGinn and Hodson bomb up wings and we have a lack of centre halves then surely we hold back. For me Well is our best chance because dont have much pace. I also expect players to give their all and no way did we see that in half OK s games. If u could explain to me the formation against fakes then i could maybe see ur point.