The Oran Kearney Interviews Thread

shull

32 minutes ago, billyg said:

I had a feeling after JR departed that the ST was a waste of money , and so it has proved. I'm glad I decided against one. The wife asked me last night why I wasn't at the game , I told here even if it was free entry I wouldn't have gone. When we were at our lowest ebb ever , playing in the 2nd division , we had poor players but they were organised on the park , there has been no organisation for weeks now.

The Alfie Jones situation highlights the lack of organisation for me. Firstly , v Accies , we lose big Baird before kick off and we juggle things about , instead of the obvious Jones for Baird , then v Hibs , we lose AF at half-time , and we juggle things about again , instead of the obvious Jones for AF. Now , all of a sudden , Jones is good enough to replace Baird at the back . One must ask , WTF is going on ?

Basically he doesn't know what his best combination is and he is trying to find it by experimenting different names in different slots and sometimes the same names in different slots. :unsure:

I don't blame him for this, since if you have a jigsaw and it has masses of grass or blue sky in it you probably try twenty different pieces before you find the right fit. In OK's case some people think he is trying to fit grassy bits into the sky section! :o

It is a fair interview and you can see the frustration, but I am almost at the point of agreeing with LPM (:shockaroony) shake it up fundamentally and start now at re-building. It's not working at present and even though they take a beating from one or two teams, that's no worse than the position they are in now. At least he will then have a better idea come the window which positions are the absolute priority.

35 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The problem I have with Kearney is the constant chopping and changing. If the same team that played via Kilmarnock was available last night, play the same team and formation. Yes we were beaten on that occasion (I believe down to tactics again with McGinn being put at CB) but matched them in the first half and were more of a threat than at any point last night. 

Kearney was slammed for not bringing Jones on, and when he does it is clear why he didn't before. He's only been given time now because we're desperately trying to find something that works with a squad which is nowhere near good enough. A thankless task for the manager. I'm almost at the stage where I'd prefer to see some academy boys thrown in than some of the more experienced guys who are toiling. At least we'd get some energy and enthusiasm in their display.

Personally i dont think it will come to sacking Oran between now and end of season as i believe the board are now paralysed by their stupid decisions, and will be shit scared to make another big one, even if its the right one!

judging by his character, honesty and general behaviour I think Oran will walk! If it goes spectacularly bad on Saturday say 0-6 or above, if Dundee do us, but more likely between now and end December if there isnt a win. I think taking into account his family and lifestyle in Coleraine he might think "well i gave it a go, but it just wasn't me".

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Personally i dont think it will come to sacking Oran between now and end of season as i believe the board are now paralysed by their stupid decisions, and will be shit scared to make another big one, even if its the right one!

judging by his character, honesty and general behaviour I think Oran will walk! If it goes spectacularly bad on Saturday say 0-6 or above, if Dundee do us, but more likely between now and end December if there isnt a win. I think taking into account his family and lifestyle in Coleraine he might think "well i gave it a go, but it just wasn't me".

I think we are long way form saying that Oran Kearney was a stupid decision.

Alan Stubbs was and if the board had done their homework on him we currently wouldn't be in the position we currently find ourselves. 

8 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I think we are long way form saying that Oran Kearney was a stupid decision.

Alan Stubbs was and if the board had done their homework on him we currently wouldn't be in the position we currently find ourselves. 

Turning that around, and given they didnt fancy him at the first time of asking! Have they done their homework on Oran? Just to add I never said his appointment was a stupid decision. Hiring, bigging up, then firing Stubbs in such an embarrassing timeframe... theres two feckin howlers right there!

if Hamilton get a result on Saturday and outpr game goes to form we will be at least three positive results behind the nearest team. Lose or draw at Dundee and that will become four, or five positive results behind safety.

Edited by Lord Pityme

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Turning that around, and given they didnt fancy him at the first time of asking! Have they done their homework on Oran? Just to add I never said his appointment was a stupid decision. Hiring, bigging up, then firing Stubbs in such an embarrassing timeframe... theres two feckin howlers right there!

if Hamilton get a result on Saturday and outpr game goes to form we will be at least three positive results behind the nearest team. Lose or draw at Dundee and that will become four, or five positive results behind safety.

I think they were impressed with Kearney first time round but got dazzled with Stubbs's cup win and his time at Everton's academy !. He had never managed in the Premiership, failed completely to get Hibs out of Championship or even to a play-off final and was a disaster at Rotherham.  Interesting that Everton never gave us ONE player from their academy.

Kearney has a recommendation from Michael O'Neil whom SMFC courted initially and had also achieved quite a bit at Coleraine so was ripe for a move to a higher level. 

It seems a pity OK doesn't want to go long as its clear we don't have the ability to go toe2toe with the other teams in this division in terms of possession football.

IMO we should forget style and go down the Hamilton/Livi route and try to compensate for our lack of skill with aggression & passion - the time to play pretty football is when you're 3 goals up.

Cody Cooke (yeah I know but who else?) up front with Hammill, Jackson & Mullen to play off him, simples - oh and lets play a 70s rockfest over the tannoy! :headbang   

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It seems a pity OK doesn't want to go long as its clear we don't have the ability to go toe2toe wit the other teams in this division in terms of possession football.

IMO we should forget style and go down the Hamilton/Livi route and try to compensate for our lack of skill with aggression & passion - the time to play pretty football is when you're 3 goals up.

Cody Cooke (yeah I know but who else?) up front with Hammill, Jackson & Mullen to play off him, simples - oh and lets play a 70s rockfest over the tannoy! :headbang   

You kinda answered paragraph one with paragraph three.

We can’t go long as we don’t have option to go long. 

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

I think they were impressed with Kearney first time round but got dazzled with Stubbs's cup win and his time at Everton's academy !. He had never managed in the Premiership, failed completely to get Hibs out of Championship or even to a play-off final and was a disaster at Rotherham.  Interesting that Everton never gave us ONE player from their academy.

Kearney has a recommendation from Michael O'Neil whom SMFC courted initially and had also achieved quite a bit at Coleraine so was ripe for a move to a higher level. 

There you see, right there, you use reasonable argument to explain how the board got it wrong hiring Stubbs, then use argument without readon to justify hiring Oran.

Stubbs had prominent figures in football lining up to recommend him, Oran took seven years to get Coleraine some success in a much lower standard league. In reality, neither argument is right or wrong, its down to the individuals, there knowledge, skills and who manages them!

1 minute ago, aldo_j said:

You kinda answered paragraph one with paragraph three.

We can’t go long as we don’t have option to go long. 

6 defeats in a row playing possession football suggests to me it might be worth a try............…:whistle

But the main point is are you happy with restricting the music to Heavy Rock/Metal - at least if we go down we do so to a blistering soundtrack? :headbang

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

6 defeats in a row playing possession football suggests to me it might be worth a try............…:whistle

But the main point is are you happy with restricting the music to Heavy Rock/Metal - at least if we go down we do so to a blistering soundtrack? :headbang

And the first track in our new HM/Rock Block, goes out to a certain young Angus Mc P ... Its Rainbow, and 'Since, You've Been Gone..!'

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Kearney was slammed for not bringing Jones on, and when he does it is clear why he didn't before. He's only been given time now because we're desperately trying to find something that works with a squad which is nowhere near good enough. A thankless task for the manager. I'm almost at the stage where I'd prefer to see some academy boys thrown in than some of the more experienced guys who are toiling. At least we'd get some energy and enthusiasm in their display.

Jones might not be the answer, but I'd have preferred a straight swap than bringing on MacPherson and shifting McGinn which didn't seem to work that well.

I'd give MacPherson a try on the right mid before Edwards though as he seems decent enough going forward. 

15 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Jones might not be the answer, but I'd have preferred a straight swap than bringing on MacPherson and shifting McGinn which didn't seem to work that well.

I'd give MacPherson a try on the right mid before Edwards though as he seems decent enough going forward. 

There are problems for sure....  midfield though is where the bulk of them lies. Far too often missing when we lose goals.

Last night at the 1st goal - 3 of our midfield were out in the right Back position against 2 Well players - then the pass back to their unmarked LB, and then infield to Turnbull who had acre's of space and only Smith running to him from a more forward position to about 8 yards away by the time he pulled the trigger.   And of course Sammy should have done better here too.

Cadden ran amok all night - so Edwards, who sat too deep most of the time, did not cover him very well at all.  I don't think Cadden is a very good player, but we made him believe he was last night. He ran onto Tait's pass for the 2nd goal with NO ONE chasing him at all. 

All 4 of our midfield (last night) are too similar. The first thing they do is turn back followed by passing it back 90 % of the time. The other 10 % is sideways passes. They don't cover or hound the opposition and tackling is a rarity. (McGinn tackles a bit more than the others). Of course Magennis would be playing if he was fit, and he is a bit different, but he is unfit curently.

We need someone who can thread a pass forwards and more than one or two who will shoot at goal (without it going 10 yards over the bar) - neither of these 4 ( I am counting Smith rather than Hammill) are going to score 3 or more goals this season and I doubt whether they will product very many assists either. I know Willock came on and he is a bit different also - but he needs to be told to shoot on sight. (Tell him he is great - he plays for Man Utd and he should show off by scoring in most games). Hammill was off it last night for some reason - he needs cajoled for the next couple of games - there is a creative and strong player in him, but it must be demoralising with so little support or ability around him.

We NEED different types of midfielders going forwards:- Who knows why we signed so many below average ones?

(1) A HARD battling defensive minded guy, great in the air and on the deck.  (Maybe heading in a few goals from corners or free kicks every now and then)

(2) A speed merchant with a serious ability to score and provide ammo to Jackson OR whoever,    AND

(3) Someone who wins possession and is direct and forward focussed;  whose passing turns defence into attack rapidly.

Neither full back is a star turn - we MUST be able to get better, with them as back ups.

Jackson, Mullen or even Aguero would struggle to score with the service our midfield, and defence provides....

I am not sure if MacPherson is at the right level for the Premiership yet, but for sure, he needs opportunities to help him get up to speed, and these really ought to be in midfield, where his strength lies - not at RB.

Hope in January we sign up a partnership with Barcelona or Man City and get some top quality into this team - or I fear we will go back down.

Dundee are woeful, but even if we made 11th, no guarantee we'd be better that a top Championship side... The Dee game is a cup final psychologically. TO win it, we need shots on target.

OK - Shooting practice every day from here on and some sort of plan for playing in the opposition half and keeping possession... get the magician back and do some hypnotism please....

Guest TPAFKATS
Both OK and St. Mirren said nice complimentary stuff about each other despite Stubbs getting the job.
Its not that St. Mirren didn't 'fancy' OK in the summer, they just 'fancied' Stubbs more. (insert punchline)

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I can only assume you were not at the game last night. Or had a bad curry so today you have a toilet seat tattoo on your bottom :P

Graeme Macpherson @Graeme_Macphers 13m13 minutes ago

Replying to @West_Bank_SMFC

Went back to listen to the tape again. OK referred to Stephen's "aches and pains" as a player in his late 20s and the knee surgery he had at Watford. But he adds: "At this point in time there's no issue there".

McGinn not injured according to OK !

1 minute ago, billyg said:

Graeme Macpherson @Graeme_Macphers 13m13 minutes ago

Replying to @West_Bank_SMFC

Went back to listen to the tape again. OK referred to Stephen's "aches and pains" as a player in his late 20s and the knee surgery he had at Watford. But he adds: "At this point in time there's no issue there".

McGinn not injured according to OK !

That'll burst a few bubbles. :lol:

Didn't some numpty say he needed an operation? 

Imagine the management releasing this information, whatever next. 

Thank feck that's cleared up, wonder what the next excuse will be for Mr Untouchable. 

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That'll burst a few bubbles. :lol:

Didn't some numpty say he needed an operation? 

Imagine the management releasing this information, whatever next. 

Thank feck that's cleared up, wonder what the next excuse will be for Mr Untouchable. 

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not making out McGinn is due any undue criticism, just sick fed up with people making out he has an injury to excuse his poor form, and he clearly isn't alone. 

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not making out McGinn is due any undue criticism, just sick fed up with people making out he has an injury to excuse his poor form, and he clearly isn't alone. 

Boo boy.