The Oran Kearney Interviews Thread

shull

7 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Better than 1987? Do you remember the following season which ended Alex Smith's reign? Now, that was brutal football.

!987 was immense but 2013 at Hampden shaded it for me.

What's the following Season got to do with anything ?  Not in my thoughts whatsoever. 

Talking about the legend that is Daniel Lennon.

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

A lot of revising history going on here. I liked Danny, but his time was up. The last season in particular was brutal.

I said at the time, given the turnaround to save our SPL status in the last 6 games I felt Danny should have been given another contract. The board thought otherwise. The problem was who replaced him. IF we had went for someone to take us to the next level then I would agree with you but we replaced the organ grinder with the monkey.

As for O.K. I'm quickly beginning to wonder if we've done something very similar now.

Oran sounded very downbeat on Saturday. First time I've heard him like that, almost veering on being angry.

I think we all share his frustration.

We've four games left before we can set about fixing the squad.

In the meantime we need to get back to basics IMO, stop trying to put square pegs in round holes, and give some of the youngsters a chance.

Eckersley needs to come back into left back now, Baird and Jones should be the centre half pairing with Ferdinand on the bench.

Paul McGinn, if he's fit, should be back into right back.

Hodson will be going back to Rangers in January so get him on the bench.

With Magennis out injured get Erhahon into centre midfield where he belongs.

Give Sam Jamieson a shot up front alongside Simeon to give us some physicality in the final third.

Edwards another one who won't be here much longer, so get him benched.

Our problem all along has been we dont give many managers chances.

When Oran got this gig many said he needs to keep us in touch to Jan window. Well we are in touch with 4 weeks to go.....

I dont think Oran has really had a fair crack- but also aware that losing twice 3-1 to Livi and Accies shows me he is hardly getting the best out of the players. Also I questions our tactics under him.  

Personally, I think a lot of the players are just going thru the motions. The clubs hands are tied till Jan and then we will see the thoughts and plans. It will either be to go for it, but with that we need at least 5/6 good players  that are match fit.   I mean good players, not some twat from Conference North. That will cost us....

Or they decide, to hold on to money, look to sell some players and get a 1.2m parachute and likely 150k from  Europe, and then really go for promotion next season . However if that is the case, the biggest change this year from last year is not having strong minded players...................

13 minutes ago, div said:

Oran sounded very downbeat on Saturday. First time I've heard him like that, almost veering on being angry.

In the meantime we need to get back to basics IMO, stop trying to put square pegs in round holes, and give some of the youngsters a chance.

Eckersley needs to come back into left back now, Baird and Jones should be the centre half pairing with Ferdinand on the bench.

Give Sam Jamieson a shot up front alongside Simeon to give us some physicality in the final third.

Lot of common sence in that post Div agree 100%

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Our problem all along has been we dont give many managers chances.

When Oran got this gig many said he needs to keep us in touch to Jan window. Well we are in touch with 4 weeks to go.....

I dont think Oran has really had a fair crack- but also aware that losing twice 3-1 to Livi and Accies shows me he is hardly getting the best out of the players. Also I questions our tactics under him.  

Personally, I think a lot of the players are just going thru the motions. The clubs hands are tied till Jan and then we will see the thoughts and plans. It will either be to go for it, but with that we need at least 5/6 good players  that are match fit.   I mean good players, not some twat from Conference North. That will cost us....

Or they decide, to hold on to money, look to sell some players and get a 1.2m parachute and likely 150k from  Europe, and then really go for promotion next season . However if that is the case, the biggest change this year from last year is not having strong minded players...................

Can't agree.

They're as good as they are going to get.

We have the weakest midfield in the division and as a result we are now in our rightful position in the league - oh and is there a worse defence - .....and what about the attack???

Pep Guardiola would struggle with this lot.

Edited by northstbuddie

26 minutes ago, div said:

Oran sounded very downbeat on Saturday. First time I've heard him like that, almost veering on being angry.I think we all share his frustration.

We've four games left before we can set about fixing the squad.In the meantime we need to get back to basics IMO, stop trying to put square pegs in round holes, and give some of the youngsters a chance.

Eckersley needs to come back into left back now, Baird and Jones should be the centre half pairing with Ferdinand on the bench.Paul McGinn, if he's fit, should be back into right back.Hodson will be going back to Rangers in January so get him on the bench.With Magennis out injured get Erhahon into centre midfield where he belongs.Give Sam Jamieson a shot up front alongside Simeon to give us some physicality in the final third.Edwards another one who won't be here much longer, so get him benched.

No mention of Adam Hammill.       Starting at the front.  Agree about Sam Jamieson.            Midfield..Agree about Erhahon playing there. 

At the back... Agree on P McGinn. Unsure about Ferdinand being left out (fitness for 90 minutes apart)   Eckersley has something to prove so yes.

Hodson and Edwards on the bench.  

Thought Oran might have put Eckersley on as sub at Livi, he chose to put on another forward? Makes me think he doesnt really trust Eckersley to be up to this level, and given his hit and miss form last season in the championship i would tend to agree.

big problem now if Ferdinand is out for a game or two, as Baird  is a problem when dropping in to that role as he has too much time to overthink situations when sweeping/clearing. Worried also that P McGinn might miss a game or two with that injury. If we havent got P McGinn and Anton against the likes of Aberdeen we will take a real hammering.

Dundee seem to be getting their act together as they pass us in the league. The margins are still tight between us, but come January we have the potential to be 9th as well as five or six points adrift at the bottom. Ideally we would want Hamilton or A. N. other to stay within a result of us and Dundee. If that four point gap increases to say seven? That would realistically mean we would have to get four positive results to catch up, and that team would need a similar number of negative results.

if that were the case it wouldnt really matter who we signed in January, the game would be a bogey by then.

also struggling to get my head round which 10, 11 or 12 players are going in January? As far as i can tell only Hammil is free to go, do we really want shot of our top scorer?

i think the loans were all season long, so it would probably cost to get them ended half way through, plus again do we really want shot of Jones and Hodson? Any other players that could make up this 10 - 12 are under contract, and not playing, or not playing well so the likelihood that someone else will want non playing relegation fodder is slim at best. Does this mean the board are going to pay them all off en masse?

is the McGinn money going to be pissed up the wall again? Feck me with the surge in well paid backroom staff wages too i worry that this board will gamble even more with the club's long term future, just to cover up for their poor decision making. Troubling times.

21 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Can't agree.

They're as good as they are going to get.

We have the weakest midfield in the division and as a result we are now in our rightful position in the league - oh and is there a worst defence - .....and what about the attack???

Pep Guardiola would struggle with this lot.

No he wouldnt .....

So look at Livi, Accies I mean hardly wow on paper. Dougie Imrie ??

Pep would have us Top 6 easy, maybe even top 4.....

Look at St Johnstone.................. are they much better players ? Players that coud not cut it at other clubs. Football is 90% mentality and 10% ability. A far far wiser man than you or me said that .

I wonder where we would be under Jack ? Well for a start we would not have 30 plus players

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:
No he wouldnt .....
So look at Livi, Accies I mean hardly wow on paper. Dougie Imrie ??
Pep would have us Top 6 easy, maybe even top 4.....
Look at St Johnstone.................. are they much better players ? Players that coud not cut it at other clubs. Football is 90% mentality and 10% ability. A far far wiser man than you or me said that .
I wonder where we would be under Jack ? Well for a start we would not have 30 plus players

Who did say that quote ?

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

42 minutes ago, div said:

Oran has said he is trying to get his best players on the park. That will mean playing some players out of position unfortunately.  He obviously feels Hodson is much better at right back than left back where he struggles badly, and that Paul McGinn is a good enough player to play further forward. 

On Erhahon, I agree he should be put into midfield once Eckersley is back starting.  Also agree that Jamieson showed up well in his short cameo a while back, and is deserving of another chance. 

The midfield is a really tough one for the manager, with Magennis struggling to stay fit for more than a few games, Flynn getting suspended then injured but ultimately not impressing. Willock should have secured a starting spot in the team as he has shown in glimpses that he has the ability but is woefully inconsistent. Edwards is one I have criticised many times, but the one thing he gives is energy, which is lacking when the likes of Willock or Flynn are in the team.

There will be a big turnover in players in January, because there has to be. We're desperately in need of more physical presence. We're the smallest team in the division. We also badly need pace to make us more dangerous on the counter, and another striker with height and strength to give us another option up front. Oh, and another keeper - Rogers won't do I'm afraid.

17 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

No mention of Adam Hammill.       Starting at the front.  Agree about Sam Jamieson.            Midfield..Agree about Erhahon playing there. 

At the back... Agree on P McGinn. Unsure about Ferdinand being left out (fitness for 90 minutes apart)   Eckersley has something to prove so yes.

Hodson and Edwards on the bench.  

Hammill will be leaving in January but he's done more than enough to merit a start in the 4 games he has left with us IMO.

Ferdinand isn't fit enough to start in this division for me. Too slow.

Baird and Jones isn't ideal but it's got some potential.

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thought Oran might have put Eckersley on as sub at Livi, he chose to put on another forward? Makes me think he doesnt really trust Eckersley to be up to this level, and given his hit and miss form last season in the championship i would tend to agree.

big problem now if Ferdinand is out for a game or two, as Baird  is a problem when dropping in to that role as he has too much time to overthink situations when sweeping/clearing. Worried also that P McGinn might miss a game or two with that injury. If we havent got P McGinn and Anton against the likes of Aberdeen we will take a real hammering.

Dundee seem to be getting their act together as they pass us in the league. The margins are still tight between us, but come January we have the potential to be 9th as well as five or six points adrift at the bottom. Ideally we would want Hamilton or A. N. other to stay within a result of us and Dundee. If that four point gap increases to say seven? That would realistically mean we would have to get four positive results to catch up, and that team would need a similar number of negative results.

if that were the case it wouldnt really matter who we signed in January, the game would be a bogey by then.

also struggling to get my head round which 10, 11 or 12 players are going in January? As far as i can tell only Hammil is free to go, do we really want shot of our top scorer?

i think the loans were all season long, so it would probably cost to get them ended half way through, plus again do we really want shot of Jones and Hodson? Any other players that could make up this 10 - 12 are under contract, and not playing, or not playing well so the likelihood that someone else will want non playing relegation fodder is slim at best. Does this mean the board are going to pay them all off en masse?

is the McGinn money going to be pissed up the wall again? Feck me with the surge in well paid backroom staff wages too i worry that this board will gamble even more with the club's long term future, just to cover up for their poor decision making. Troubling times.

You'll need to let us know how "well paid" these backroom staff are? Unless you're just spouting pish again...

The players I would expect to go out the way in January;

Hammill - wont' be extending - wants to go back down South so won't be signing for another Scottish club
Hodson - expect his loan to be cut short and he will return to Rangers
Edwards - expect his loan to be cut short and he will return to Hearts
Willock - expect his loan to be cut short and he will return to Man Utd
Heaton - expect him to be loaned out or sold if anyone comes in with any sort of bid
King - expect a mutual termination
Kpekawa - expect a mutual termination
Cooke - expect him to be loaned or mutually terminated
Lyness - contract expires in Jan
Kellermann - expect him to make his current loan move a permanent one
Cammy Smith - expect he will be subject of plenty interest in the Championship and will leave
Kirkpatrick - expect he will be subject of plenty interest in the Championship and will leave

If not all of them, then certainly most.

5 minutes ago, div said:

Hammill - wont' be extending - wants to go back down South so won't be signing for another Scottish club
Heaton - expect him to be loaned out or sold if anyone comes in with any sort of bid
Cammy Smith - expect he will be subject of plenty interest in the Championship and will leave
Kirkpatrick - expect he will be subject of plenty interest in the Championship and will leave

You've gone there with Saint Cammy Smith...

get your tin hat on for all the responders insisting its all Stubbs fault that Smith just isn't up to this level!

My worry from that list is if it only three or four coming in then we will be left with only Mullen to support Jackson up front and that doesn't work. And only injury prone, unfancied Eckersley as a full back pairing with P McGinn.

in addition i expect an offer or two for Magennis, which could leave us with only one midfielder in S McGinn who lets be honest isnt the player he was last season and before. I reckon thats a minimum six short in the first team squad, so is Oran going to supplement it with three youngsters? We will get caned on a weekly basis in this league if it pans out anything like this.

Edited by Lord Pityme

1 minute ago, div said:

Probably right which highlights the mistakes made by the Directors at the start of the season and the virtual certainty that we will be relegated. I wonder what our 3 year plan looks like now.

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

You've gone there with Saint Cammy Smith...

get your tin hat on for all the responders insisting its all Stubbs fault that Smith just isn't up to this level!

I'll be very sad to see him go but clear that Oran doesn't fancy him same as Stubbs didn't.

I guess they know better than us, and perhaps we're all too misty eyed about what Cammy did in the Championship to see that he can't cut it in the top flight. Dunno.

I can't imagine he's very happy at the moment and there will be plenty interest in him.

9 minutes ago, div said:

Add in the 2 that have already left (Coulson and Brock-Madsen) and it's easy to see what a total disaster Alan Stubbs was for this club! 

7 minutes ago, div said:

I'll be very sad to see him go but clear that Oran doesn't fancy him same as Stubbs didn't.

I guess they know better than us, and perhaps we're all too misty eyed about what Cammy did in the Championship to see that he can't cut it in the top flight. Dunno.

I can't imagine he's very happy at the moment and there will be plenty interest in him.

Yeah not nice for the lad to be shown up wanting by two managers in the full glare of this league. It appears, so far in his career he could only turn in consistent performances for one manager, whilst playing alongside the talented Morgan, and feeding off Reilly's dogged assists.

5 minutes ago, Buddie-Boy said:

Add in the 2 that have already left (Coulson and Brock-Madsen) and it's easy to see what a total disaster Alan Stubbs was for this club! 

Hmmm... if we loose Hodson, Edwards, Cooke and Willock (three of whom have decent premiership experience, and one looks a right handgul up front) it will be interesting to see if they are replaced by better, more experienced players? The truth is if we didnt have them we would already be adrift at the bottom.