The Oran Kearney Interviews Thread

shull

13 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

10 or 11 players in at the window, then we can comment on Orans' prowess, we certainly need to lose those who wre just going through the motions yesterday.

Oran has said he wants a squad of 22. He also said more players out than in so I can't see anywhere near 10 or 11 players in. 3 or 4 at the most I would think. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aye, it took him/them seven years to register an achievement. Thats not exactly stunning.

You sound like a fan of the Glasgow bigots. We’ve won three Scottish Cups and one League Cup in our history, and we usually have to wait 20-30 years for the next one. If we win one in the next 7 years I’ll be f**king delighted.

7 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You sound like a fan of the Glasgow bigots. We’ve won three Scottish Cups and one League Cup in our history, and we usually have to wait 20-30 years for the next one. If we win one in the next 7 years I’ll be f**king delighted.

No disrespect to the diddy cup that was won in NIreland, but not the same as the 2 national cups in Scotland IMO. 

Everyone is putting their hope on a transfer window but we have to be realistic. What decent player in their right mind is going to come to Saints' when we are languishing at the bottom of the league under a manager who has been part time and looks out of his depth? I honestly hope I'm wrong, as I always say when I predict demise, but I can't see us attracting any better players than our relegation rivals. Hamilton are an established SPL club with a more settled squad so even they will be able to strengthen to a greater extent than us. Dundee will be able to offer better money, show a manager who has been in the SPL previously and Motherwell will be nowhere near us in terms of points.

We are never going to do enough to escape the dire state of affairs we find ourselves in. This season and pre season, from before Jack left, has been a clusterf*ck, start till now. Bad decisions from the board over everything. From the lack of signing players quickly to the selection of managers and adding layers to the backroom staff that will probably affect the players budget as they try to redeem the situation.

If Calsberg did scapegoat teams for Dundee and Hamilton, we ARE certainly up there.

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No disrespect to the diddy cup that was won in NIreland, but not the same as the 2 national cups in Scotland IMO. 

I’m not a follower of Irish football but it’s a big competition in terms of entrants, similar to ourselves with the Scottish Cup. Last season’s success was a first “major” trophy since the 2002-2003 season. It was their 8th major trophy in Ireland (6 Irish Cups, 1 League Cup, 1 League title) but the majority of their successes were in the 70s. So I guess when Kearney took over, they weren’t one of the first names you’d pick out as potential cup winners. As I say I’m not a follower of the league there so I could be wrong.

There are probably plenty of half decent players we could attract. Not because we are St Mirren nor because we are struggling would put them off. But because these would be guys who want to showcase what they have in order to get regular football. For example Morgan, Allan, and Johnstone at Celtic. All fringe players out of the first team squad. They need game time and a platform to show their worth. We may not get these players but there are decent players out there who could do a job for us (and themselves like Adam Hammill).  Jack done it 2 years ago so it is possible.

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

There are probably plenty of half decent players we could attract. Not because we are St Mirren nor because we are struggling would put them off. But because these would be guys who want to showcase what they have in order to get regular football. For example Morgan, Allan, and Johnstone at Celtic. All fringe players out of the first team squad. They need game time and a platform to show their worth. We may not get these players but there are decent players out there who could do a job for us (and themselves like Adam Hammill).  Jack done it 2 years ago so it is possible.

The big difference between what JR did and what OK has to do is that, JR was in charge of one of the biggest teams in the league who were playing well below their potential and OK is in charge of a team who are, at best, at their level in a better league. Any players looking at Saints then would know they had a chance to turn things around. Not so now  as any player we could attract would also have the likely option of our rivals earning the same, if not more, cash with a better chance of surviving. Unless we have something I don't know about we will be left with those not wanted.

I think, like two years ago, the number of loan players or those on short term contracts is a problem. Five of that team yesterday are on loan and another only signed to January. The good news, of course, is it should be easy to return them in January. My guess is only Hodson and Jones have a chance of being retained.

Length of contract and loan deals has absolutely nothing to do with it we currently have the same amount of loans as Kilmarnock.

Kpekawa and heaton have long term contracts where are they ?

Killie got Stewart we got brock madsen that’s the problem the quality of player it’s got nothing to do with contracts lengths or loans.

53 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

The big difference between what JR did and what OK has to do is that, JR was in charge of one of the biggest teams in the league who were playing well below their potential and OK is in charge of a team who are, at best, at their level in a better league. Any players looking at Saints then would know they had a chance to turn things around. Not so now  as any player we could attract would also have the likely option of our rivals earning the same, if not more, cash with a better chance of surviving. Unless we have something I don't know about we will be left with those not wanted.

Another point to remember about "The Great Escape" is that the turnaround did not happen instantly, even by JRs admission results were still patchy until the Ayr game which IIRC was on the 25th February - so even repeating an escape which was pretty astounding would still mean another 6/7 weeks before we get consistently better results.

Strangely enough I think Hamilton are still catchable, discount the H2H results and they'd have less points than us so if things continue on that pattern and we could take 4 points from the remaining 2 H2H games then we'd finish above them, a bit presumptive but I'm trying to be optimistic - anything above 10th seems as remote as Mars!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Length of contract and loan deals has absolutely nothing to do with it we currently have the same amount of loans as Kilmarnock.

Killie got Stewart we got brock madsen that’s the problem the quality of player it’s got nothing to do with contracts lengths or loans.
I read somewhere, perhaps on here that we were offered Stewart but Stubbs preferred Brock Madsen. If true it shows we may still be able to attract decent quality.

12 minutes ago, st jock said:
40 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

I read somewhere, perhaps on here that we were offered Stewart but Stubbs preferred Brock Madsen. If true it shows we may still be able to attract decent quality.

We weren't halfway through a season and in the dire position we now find ourselves though.

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Bawz!

i think most would be happy winning a cup every seven or so years. Question is would you or will they, stick with one manager for that length of time to try and improve? We usually sack our successful managers.

Guest TPAFKATS
Bawz!
i think most would be happy winning a cup every seven or so years. Question is would you or will they, stick with one manager for that length of time to try and improve? We usually sack our successful managers.
Who was the last successful manager we sacked?

Guest TPAFKATS
Another possible shitemare scenario is one of our bottom half rivals offering Hammil a better deal in January. You can bet the american guys at Dundee will spend to survive in this league, as will Hamilton.
I wouldn't bet on Hamill signing for either Dundee or Hamilton unless it's late January and he's got no other offers.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
21 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
Bawz!

Who was the last successful manager we sacked?

Danny Lennon, and before that Gus, also Smith & Bone, Fergie etc...

16 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
21 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
Another possible shitemare scenario is one of our bottom half rivals offering Hammil a better deal in January. You can bet the american guys at Dundee will spend to survive in this league, as will Hamilton.

I wouldn't bet on Hamill signing for either Dundee or Hamilton unless it's late January and he's got no other offers.

It'll be whoever shows him the money, anyone outside the bigots, Aberdeen up here, or league one daan saaf.

i notice in Oran's interview he rightly questions the naivety/attitude of the players in the second half, but yet again i find his reluctance, and misuse of substitutions baffling?

when big Anton got injured i think we were still 0-1 up (maybe 1-1)? It was obvious he was f**ked and moving even slower and less gracefully than normal. But Kearney waits till we are 2-1 down, with the game gone before subbing him, and does so with a forward, rather than a defender or at least a midfielder. 

I get it was maybe a gamble to get further forward, but a blind man could see the problem was in the middle and defence. The game was over when he came on, but Smith looked a bit like "yeah you should have picked me to start, so you can forget me trying to do much"

Edited by Lord Pityme

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

The point is we can attract players who want first team football to showcase their talents. Hammill isn't with us because he loves St Mirren. January signings will be loans or 5 month deals. Players would not be signing for us for long term deals. Anyone signing for us would be almost guaranteed first team football which is the reason they would sign. And I am aware of the Jack Ross situation. Maybe take Jim McIntyre at Ross County as another example of signing players in January to stay up. It is do-able. Whether we do it is another matter.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Another point to remember about "The Great Escape" is that the turnaround did not happen instantly, even by JRs admission results were still patchy until the Ayr game which IIRC was on the 25th February - so even repeating an escape which was pretty astounding would still mean another 6/7 weeks before we get consistently better results.

Strangely enough I think Hamilton are still catchable, discount the H2H results and they'd have less points than us so if things continue on that pattern and we could take 4 points from the remaining 2 H2H games then we'd finish above them, a bit presumptive but I'm trying to be optimistic - anything above 10th seems as remote as Mars!

Hamilton have proved they are streets ahead of us twice this season. Our only hope is January and that Dundee and Hamilton keep dropping as many points as we do until then. 

27 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Hamilton have proved they are streets ahead of us twice this season. Our only hope is January and that Dundee and Hamilton keep dropping as many points as we do until then. 

Erm, they've shown they're more up for a scrap but as I've said outwith the 2 H2H games they have a worse record than us.

Edit - Livi are streets ahead of us! :(

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Bawz!

Right now we know we require a massive rebuilding job, so IMO Kearney will be given more time than the average manager. I think a lot will depend on his activity in January. Positive signs in his acitivity could possibly end up allowing him to stay on even if relegated. If his signings are abysmal or no improvement on what we have, he may not be trusted with the summer rebuild. 

Alternatively, how does this work between Gus and Oran? If the signings are pish, is it both their faults or will one be largely to blame? Likewise if it’s a good market who takes the credit?

A lot depends on January but Oran (tbf this partly applies to Gus to when he was with us) left Coleraine in a better position at the end of his time there and a trophy to top it off. Both men have proven they can take a club forward given time.