Well Said Tony

DougJamie

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45476353

Great words from Tony and TBF to TF , he is right, Its been some journey since Gordon came in...................... now its about actions ...............

I sincerely hope we do give Oran time, and on here we also need to play a part, as we are all fans ..................

For us that remember the early mid  80s, Saints were never in contention for the title but Europe yes, always in contention for the cup.

What's exactly changed ?  The OF still had more fans and more money, Dons, Hearts  and Hibs were strong and it was a 10 team league not 12.....

Who actually has far higher budgets than us ? Apart from the above......

It needs to start somewhere and to be fair it did start under Jack and this BOD......

If what Tony says is what the BOD see then I am well over a large blip, and even with some dodgy singings I still reckon we can compete in this league  

49 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Great words from Tony and TBF to TF , he is right, Its been some journey since Gordon came in...................... now its about actions ...............

I sincerely hope we do give Oran time, and on here we also need to play a part, as we are all fans ..................

For us that remember the early mid  80s, Saints were never in contention for the title but Europe yes, always in contention for the cup.

What's exactly changed ?  The OF still had more fans and more money, Dons, Hearts  and Hibs were strong and it was a 10 team league not 12.....

It needs to start somewhere and to be fair it did start under Jack and this BOD......

If what Tony says is what the BOD see then I am well over a large blip, and even with some dodgy singings I still reckon we can compete in this league  

In line with the chant from the Scotland Women's match....Let's go St Mirren, Let's go. The journey continues. Buckle up for the ride.

4 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Both Hibs and Hearts were relegated from the Premier League in the early 80s. Saints were also able to outbid Celtic for Zico. Rangers were rebuilding their stadium and their crowds were very low.

It is a completely different landscape now. We just cannot compete financially with Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs or Rangers. Even Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Johnstone generate greater income than we can. Last I checked St Johnstone generate £1M more than us every season.

I’d love to share Tony’s vision. But I just don’t see how we can transform the club to generate the required finances to compete at the top end of the table, 

Yes, all true, but lets see where we are at if we can stay up as long as Fakes and Well and Killie................

I know its different times but that doesn't mean we cant compete in the League. I agree top 4 is a good while off but hey Fakes achieved it

12 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Both Hibs and Hearts were relegated from the Premier League in the early 80s. Saints were also able to outbid Celtic for Zico. Rangers were rebuilding their stadium and their crowds were very low.

It is a completely different landscape now. We just cannot compete financially with Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs or Rangers. Even Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Johnstone generate greater income than we can. Last I checked St Johnstone generate £1M more than us every season.

I’d love to share Tony’s vision. But I just don’t see how we can transform the club to generate the required finances to compete at the top end of the table, 

The background information about the clubs is, I think, correct. You have also identified our main competition and the challenge facing us in raising revenue generated by the club to make and sustain a challenge for the notional 5th place in Scottish Football. The board have identified the same. All I can do as a fan is to ensure that I turn from a fan into an active supporter by e.g. buying a season ticket, paying for a parking place,  joining the 1877 club or using Hospitality or simply buying tickets for home games. Fans with businesses can support the club in many ways whilst promoting their business etc. 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

The OF were the last major clubs in Scotland to get shirt sponsorship because they were regarded as toxic, in the end they got a joint deal with CR Smith but I remember their company spokesman saying he got both OF clubs for less than Clydebank were getting - nowadays OF sponsorship deals dwarf what a club like Saints receive!

We will also be hindered this season because prize money for winning the Championship is far less than clubs like Killie, Well & The Fakes will have received just for being in the top flight - if we can stay up this season then we should be on a more equal footing next year. 

Edited by Bud the Baker

15 minutes ago, Yflab said:

See you with your facts and realism..............leave this thread and never return.

Tony is a nice man and was a good player, he does talk a load of shite right enough. 

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

The OF were the last major clubs in Scotland to get shirt sponsorship because they were regarded as toxic, in the end they got a joint sponsorship deal with CR Smith but I remember their company spokesman saying he got bot OF clubs for less than Clydebank were getting! Nowadays OF sponsorship deals dwarf what a club like Saints receive!

We will also be hindered this season because prize money for winning the Championship is far less than clubs like Killie, Well & The Fakes will have received just for being in the top flight - if we can stay up this season then we should be on a more equal footing next year. 

Totally agree- I am thinking more of what can be achieved. I mean if I had told you 18 months ago we would have a chance to go 3 points behind Celtic, you would have laughed 

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The OF were the last major clubs in Scotland to get shirt sponsorship because they were regarded as toxic, in the end they got a joint sponsorship deal with CR Smith but I remember their company spokesman saying he got bot OF clubs for less than Clydebank were getting! Nowadays OF sponsorship deals dwarf what a club like Saints receive!

Sound argument Bud

Just now, faraway saint said:

:lol:

Where is  Oakey when you need him

Ok simple maths FAS-

Celtic are on 9 points after 4 games, we are on 3 points after 4 games

If we beat them we move to 6 points, they stay on 9 pts

Now- this is the complicated bit

9-6 = 3

So ergo = we beat Tic we are 3 points behind

Now call me a liar :whistle

8 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok simple maths FAS-

9-6 = 3

My but that is clever!

We really need all the income we an get to compete properly. I'm sure the Board are actively seeking revenue generating endeavours. I think they realise that supporters can only generate a fraction of what's needed.

Perhaps Walter could get the Ambassador's reception moved from Moscow.

23 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok simple maths FAS-

9-6 = 3

Here's another "sum" for you, genius.........

Celtic beat us we're 9 points behind them.

Got to admit, you should be the quiz team captain, although Tony could be seen as a rival. 

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

We really need all the income we an get to compete properly. I'm sure the Board are actively seeking revenue generating endeavours. I think they realise that supporters can only generate a fraction of what's needed.

Perhaps Walter could get the Ambassador's reception moved from Moscow.

You help make the point very clearly.   In order to compete we need to raise our levels of income to match or exceed those of our main competitors.  The earlier part of this discussion was focussed on crowds and supporters but I agree that this in itself is not enough and this has been acknowledged by the board. Few clubs these days cover their costs from gate money alone.... But it is an essential starting point.  There is a whole other discussion to be had on how best to maximise revenue from the stadium as just one example. My comments were aimed at what supporters themselves can do and were not exhaustive or prescriptive. 

Edited by St.Ricky

4 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

I refuse to believe we cannot match the budgets of the these teams if we are playing in the same league.

They have been playing in the top league for several years, benefitting from its relative riches.

I think we need to remember where we came from in terms of earning potential.

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Ok simple maths FAS-

9-6 = 3

I love simple maths like that!

you could become the resident forum Rachel Riley

but beware you may have 11 fingers.... confused? Count with me

start on your right hand - count your thumb as ten and count down as you count off each digit 

then add the five fingers you’ve got on your left hand - Simples

I'm glad we have Tony high up in the club's hierarchy. We are all allowed to dream and hope. Having Tony there guarantees if there was an opportunity to be taken, he'd go for it.

Compare this to Newcastle United for instance. A one team city that has been held back from the power hungry Mike Ashley for years.  He's happy as long as they are EPL and he gets the income from it. No interest in pushing up the league or challenging for cups. If they get relegated he'all invest enough to guarantee a return to the top flight, then it's back to normality as the income comes in and the team sees little of it.

Having a figure like Tony means we have people who want to see the club go further than it should. We've always been a yo-yo team, have our days in the top flight, eventually go down, always come up again. As Saints fans most of us can accept that. But it's better to have a Tony Fitzpatrick who wants that to change for the better, than a Mike Ashley who has no intention of improving his teams fortunes. I know the two men hold different positions in their clubs, but their beliefs are important IMO.

Well, we need to improve how we are run and improve our facilities so we do generate the same revenue as St Johnstone. St Mirren will never be a "top four club" but there is no reason we can't break in for a season or two. 

Good to see in the article we are bringing in a Technical Director. We can't continue to allow managerial changes to leave us botching transfer windows as Craig, Murray, Rae and Stubbs did.