Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

What does a Technical Director actually do, on a daily basis, from 9-5 Mon-Fri? Serious question, I know what Oran is expected to do, what Campbell Kennedy does, and whatTommy Docherty does. What does this role actually involve?

Depends I guess, different clubs have them for different reasons.

Imagine he’ll be dealing primarily with recruitment and perhaps overseeing scouting.

Just now, ulysses said:

Depends I guess, different clubs have them for different reasons.

Imagine he’ll be dealing primarily with recruitment and perhaps overseeing scouting.

Aye, but with the transfer window system, unless it's some waifs and strays free agents, not much recruiting going on. If it's a full-time position, buggered if I know what he would be doing every day, bar playing Wee Angry Birds on his PC.

Aye, but with the transfer window system, unless it's some waifs and strays free agents, not much recruiting going on. If it's a full-time position, buggered if I know what he would be doing every day, bar playing Wee Angry Birds on his PC.

Suppose we’ll never really know that. Maybe it will be just a part time role. Or maybe he’ll have other duties on the go as well. Could be overseeing the football operations side of things.

Kearney seems keen on it. Let’s him get on with the job of sorting out the mess Stubbs has made.

All for it.

1 minute ago, ulysses said:

Suppose we’ll never really know that. Maybe it will be just a part time role. Or maybe he’ll have other duties on the go as well. Could be overseeing the football operations side of things.

Kearney seems keen on it. Let’s him get on with the job of sorting out the mess Stubbs has made.

All for it.

Indeed.

11 minutes ago, ulysses said:

All for it.

Yup, as mentioned elsewhere, think the transition from PT to FT in things like setting training plans, nutrition, etc is a massive step and one that OK will need a bit of a hand with in the short term at least.

GLS is also a well known friend of Gus and presumably trusts him fully. As he said in the Sun piece:

“Because of what’s happened this season we’ve looked again at how we run things and we’re planning to bring in a Technical Director, who will be a constant presence at the club.

“When Jack Ross went to Sunderland he left a big hole and we had a new guy coming in and signing a lot of players and relying on other people to tell him how good they were."

To me, that's pretty damning of Stubbs and the way he ran things. GLS is correctly keen to avoid a repeat of this. If it helps Kearney settle in the meantime, I'm happy with it. It's essentially replacing Darren Jackson's (waste of) space with someone elsewhere in the setup. No big issues there.

Edited by djchapsticks

Don’t know if I’m missing something, but I feel dead against this. I want OK to run the club without interference from anyone, let alone someone who was previously our manager. Just feels all wrong to me.
Time will tell.

Based on his interviews, it’s something OK feels he needs at the club - someone who knows the lay of the land and can help provide advice and help with recruitment in Scotland.

OK will still be picking the team, the tactics, and have the final say on signings by the looks of it.

Based on his interviews, it’s something OK feels he needs at the club - someone who knows the lay of the land and can help provide advice and help with recruitment in Scotland.

OK will still be picking the team, the tactics, and have the final say on signings by the looks of it.

Isn’t that what an assistant manager is for though.

I don’t believe he will have the final say on signings since Gordon Scott has pretty much said technical director is coming into stop the bad signings that Stubbs made.

Gus as Oran’s assistant would be good imo as a technical director no thanks

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

What does a Technical Director actually do, on a daily basis, from 9-5 Mon-Fri? Serious question, I know what Oran is expected to do, what Campbell Kennedy does, and whatTommy Docherty does. What does this role actually involve?

He gathers in all the information available from the Phoenix and Braehead multiplexes and presents it in an easy to understand format for those who prefer to be entertained rather than watch football.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

As you will see from Gordon Scott's quotes the primary problem they are trying to solve here is that of recruitment. GS mentions Stubbs "having to rely on other people" to know if players are good enough - something that clearly went wrong and lead to the change of manager.  I had actually just posted this on another thread, we need to make sure we are not left vulnerable by managerial changes again and end up with these terrible Craig / Rae / Stubbs transfer windows.

I'd imagine therefore the primary brief would be to build a network of contacts across the UK and Ireland and a database of players that we realistically could make a move for once we have a position to fill or once we see them as a sound investment.  I would also imagine as this is a full time paid position there would be an expectation for players aged between 16 and 23 to be scouted who we could generate transfer fees from, i.e the TD role pays for itself over time.

Possibly it also includes video analysis work and monitoring our normal opponents as well. There is so much information available now that it is too big a task for one person to manage themselves.

I think these are both areas we need to invest in and as the role requires someone who will stick with it long term Gus could be a very good shout indeed.