Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

I think we definitely need someone in that type of role if we have aspirations to be more than makeweights in the league. When we do well we will lose good players and staff to better teams, this appointment will implement a philosophy at club level about what we want from the coaching staff and will help ensure continuity. On the playing front it should help bring in players that can work in the setup we play under, and ensure that talent is spotted within our budgets.

In the interim it will help OK adjust and understand the game in Scotland.

With regards to Gus, I'm ambivalent either way. Yes he left under a cloud due to cup final and negative way of playing, but his remit under board was to avoid relegation and budgets cut under him regularly. However, feedback from Queens Park supporters I know is pretty positive for his wider role in their club. He's stable and reliable without being prone to jumping between extremes.

Personally I can see the value of having a "constant" at the club to set the standards and direction of all the footballing operations.

I was quite a big fan of Gus when he was manager for the vast majority of his tenure, but it did become stale towards the end and it was the right time for him to leave when he did IMO.

If he's coming back as Technical Director then it will be a bit "meh" for me but guess we'll just wait and see how it pans out.

It is possible that Gus is looking for a different type of role. A new challenge.

We all need that from time to time.

I met him a few times when we were doing the Final Chapter book, and it seemed to me that he was a bit jaded even then. He had been bemoaning the lack of decent training facilities (local parks with broken glass and dug shite), so I was always surprised that he didn't more fully embrace the opportunity that Ralston offered.

As an aside, I was at the club the day that Mo Camara joined up to get some of the books signed, and spoke briefly to him about that signing. I have to say, he didn't look at all convinced that it would work out, which led me to believe that he might not have been instrumental in bringing that particular player in. That always struck me as a bit odd.

Anyway, this time last week he appeared to be in the running for the manager's job, so this is at least a bit less contentious than had he secured that post.

53 minutes ago, ged62 said:

OK I must of missed your post then lol Your entitled to your opinion but one or 2 post will do emoji6.pngWe’re all happier now. I’m OK with OK & Gus TBH. OK will be in charge though so no worries.

But nobody else is entitled to an opinion or even answer a question ? 

Who was it said the board had acted swiftly to change the dynamics?

feck me the couldnt have acted more swiftly to piss all over the positive reaction to Oran's appointment, than they have by planning to bring Gus in..! 

Did he do a good job rebuilding us over a decade ago... yes.

Had he ran his course in the managers role with us... yes.

did he give us the most embarrassing trip  to a cup final ever... yes.

Is he now plying his trade at the bottom of scottish pro football... yes.

are clubs across the land queuing up to secure his services... no.

So why the f**k are we?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

feck me the couldnt have acted more swiftly to piss all over the positive reaction to Oran's appointment, than they have by planning to bring Gus in..! 

So why the f**k are we?

Are we hiring him in a management role? No

To judge him on his past for a new position is not fair and ridiculous.

Fowler didn't set the world on fire as a manager - solid assistant

Cathro same - Great coach

Gary Mccalister - Great coach

Many more examples of former managers having good careers in the game in different roles. 

Do you know for a fact he can't do the job of technical director before we know fully what the job will involve or are you basing it on a completely different role? Do you know this isn't something with OK blessing/ request?

Give the guy a chance. 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

Are we hiring him in a management role? No

To judge him on his past for a new position is not fair and ridiculous.

Fowler didn't set the world on fire as a manager - solid assistant

Cathro same - Great coach

Gary Mccalister - Great coach

Many more examples of former managers having good careers in the game in different roles. 

Do you know for a fact he can't do the job of technical director before we know fully what the job will involve or are you basing it on a completely different role? Do you know this isn't something with OK blessing/ request?

Give the guy a chance. 

If something is lacking in Gus's life, drive, enthusiasm, interest then by all means he should seek out something new to entrall and captivate himself by f**king off down the cinema for entertainment..!

So why the f**k are we?
Because we are visionaries? [emoji41]

8 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Because we are visionaries? emoji41.png

Maybe because we’ve just appointed a young manager making a step up to a higher standard of football in a different country, and have just bagged a manager after a few games for reasons that clearly are not just results based. Maybe the thinking is the new guy needs an experienced assistant and the club needs a new off-the-field direction as a top flight outfit.

Goodness gracious, imagine trying to introduce some realism into the situation. I should stick to crap jokes and the NFL. 

...aye you should, says the forum, collectively. :double

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel as if Gus comes with his own personal black cloud ...

Our club is in desperate need for a lift right now and this doesn't help one bit... It's a naw from me...

I think that's more about the support than about Gus to be honest. 

If Gus is the man for the TD job then he needs a clean slate. He is experienced, a strong character and knows the league. The concept of this role - to provide continuity between managers, support recruitment activities and act as sounding board for a young Oran Kearney - is a good idea in my opinion. 

We're at a crossroads here after the quick failure of the Stubbs reign. The fans have to acknowledge that as much as a Chairman can fail with an appointment, a manager can fail with results/performances -  we need to realise that the support can also contribute to failure by setting a negative tone that spreads throughout the club.

We were (mostly) all very positive about the OK appointment so now is not the time for an about turn.

Unbelievable amount of gum bumping when absolutely no one knows the role he has been brought in to fulfil.

DoF could mean anything but it generally does not involve any day-to-day coaching or interference in team selection or tactics. It's very much a back office roll and as such I'm not seeing what relevance his previous tenure as manager has to his current role. I was never a big Gus fan however I don't see a problem in having an ex manager back in a totally different roll especially when we have a new manager in place.

Ian Maxwell wasn't the greatest player in the world but he has done really well in a backroom career which has seen him rise to the very top of that sphere in this country. No reason why Gus couldn't do similar albeit maybe in a slightly different context.

If this does happen it would be helpful if the club explained to the fans what the role would involve. Many seem to be certain it'll be recruitment based, but does that mean Gus becomes Martin Christie's boss, or do we offload Christie? An explanation of the tasks involved would be very helpful.

As for Christie himself, all we know for sure is that he wanted us to bring Kellerman in. Not sure how much of a say he had in Stubbs' signings, for a start Cooke and Heaton would have been Stubbs' own from seeing them at V9. Was Christie responsible for some of the unimpressive players we've seen, or is that were the "scouts being ignored" thing comes in?

For those who criticise Gus and youth, how many of the youth team from those days have gone into full time football? Gus didn't have a McLean, Mallan or Morgan to pick from - the youths he had weren't good enough. However, he was responsible for the debut of a certain captain of ours. It's way to criticise not using youths but sometimes they just aren't good enough. He tried with Conor Ramsay, he's in non league football now. Jon McShane looked decent but is nowhere to be seen now, Sean Burns and Ally Love haven't made it out of part time football.

3 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

If this does happen it would be helpful if the club explained to the fans what the role would involve. Many seem to be certain it'll be recruitment based, but does that mean Gus becomes Martin Christie's boss, or do we offload Christie? An explanation of the tasks involved would be very helpful.

As for Christie himself, all we know for sure is that he wanted us to bring Kellerman in. Not sure how much of a say he had in Stubbs' signings, for a start Cooke and Heaton would have been Stubbs' own from seeing them at V9. Was Christie responsible for some of the unimpressive players we've seen, or is that were the "scouts being ignored" thing comes in?

For those who criticise Gus and youth, how many of the youth team from those days have gone into full time football? Gus didn't have a McLean, Mallan or Morgan to pick from - the youths he had weren't good enough. However, he was responsible for the debut of a certain captain of ours. It's way to criticise not using youths but sometimes they just aren't good enough. He tried with Conor Ramsay, he's in non league football now. Jon McShane looked decent but is nowhere to be seen now, Sean Burns and Ally Love haven't made it out of part time football.

I think you make the case for the opposition quite compelling..!

we are planning (it would appear) to bring in a Technical Director who has a history, and track record of ignoring youth, in favour of journeymen pro's.

Well irrespective of the yays and nays re Gus, it’s undeniable if he comes to Saints as TD that he will cast a shadow. Whether that is protective and positive or sinister, we shall see in time. Personally I’m a bit surprised. Just how many advisors do we need ? I think an organigram should be issued showing roles and responsibilities. It’s getting awfy top heavy looking

Sigh [emoji17]

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think you make the case for the opposition quite compelling..!

we are planning (it would appear) to bring in a Technical Director who has a history, and track record of ignoring youth, in favour of journeymen pro's.

Or maybe it was because the players in the academy weren't good enough to merit a call up? How many of them have gone on to be a big success? How many have proven Gus wrong not to select them?

3 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Or maybe it was because the players in the academy weren't good enough to merit a call up? How many of them have gone on to be a big success? How many have proven Gus wrong not to select them?

How quickly did it all change when he left! 

McGinn, McLean, McCausland etc....

the guy is just such a negative influence he makes Stubbs look like Mr Tickles..!

For the majority of that Final, we were the better Team and favourites to triumph. 

The sending offs upset the run of play and seemed to knock us for six. 

I am sure Gus gave correct instructions from the sidelines but the players seemed to bottle the opportunity to kill off the Blue Cnuts ( now deceased). 

Welcome Home Wee Baldy