Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

I don't disagree with that at all.As others have said, I imagine Gus' attitude to the youth set up might well have altered over the years.

What was so bad before?

He gave even guys like Craig Malloy. David McKenna, John Baird and ryan mcccay a fair good crack at it ultimately they weren’t good enough and never went on to do better.

Yet look at Danny Lennon others see him the complete opposite was fully behind youth didn’t Paul mcginn and Craig slater leave under his watch because they weren’t given an opportunity and they both went on to do better.

7 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

IMG_1536763588.362345.jpg

You remember wrongly he was their and won us the game to keep us up.

Thanks for proving my point also some utter shite being spouted about gus on this thread

And he was very emotional in his post match interview.

31 minutes ago, thepaisleypanda said:

If i remember rightly Gus wasn't there due to serious family reasons

Think that was the game the following reason, although Chick Young did mention in the post-match interview about his dad being seriously ill.

22 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

IMG_1536763588.362345.jpg

You remember wrongly he was their and won us the game to keep us up.

Thanks for proving my point also some utter shite being spouted about gus on this thread

I proved NO point! - An honest error about one specific match!

There was definitely a game in that period that Millen took charge for reasons stated! 

47 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I've read that post 5 times and it's just full of vague corporate bollocks.

What on earth does "support the first team and head coach" mean? It could literally mean anything.

It's hard to see how much of this differs from the manager's job. What do each of them do on a day to day basis without treading on each others territory?

Without a crystal clear description of the job and equally crystal clear lines of accountability there will be a power vacuum and problems will inevitably result.

I think HR came up with it to tick some boxes

49 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

For every bad performance we got under him you were guaranteed a response in the next game also the championship winning season was just as good as the one under jack Ross.

He took us from bottom end of the championship to an established spl side I won’t say anything bad about the guy gave me some great memories that game away to Motherwell was one of the best I’ve ever been to.

The first part I've quoted from you reminded me straight away of one thing. The season we got gubbed twice by Falkirk, 5-1 at home and 4-0 at TFS. The week after both matches we faced Celtic. Came out with a 1-1 draw at Parkhead. Should have had a 0-0 at Love Street but Nakamura's antics and a dodgy referee (perhaps Eddie Smith?) denied us on the 87th minute. And of course the 9-man final defeat to pumping Celtic 4-0 three days later. We certainly had some solid responses from defeats.

His title winning season was made better by the Cup double. That match in Airdrie was my first ever "away" game. Will never forget that one. It was fantastic to see us lift two trophies that year.

22 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

What was so bad before?

I didn't suggest things were so bad.

My understanding is that Gus didn't only permitted the 1st team squad to train on the grass at Ralston. Could be mistaken on that, but I recall mention of it changing when Danny came in. He had a more inclusive approach, by all accounts.

What I do know, however, is that a young player who subsequently starred for St Mirren, and then with another club in Scotland, and has now moved to England, was told he would never cut it. Too wee, or something to that effect. It was a source of some consternation with said player and his family, and was reported to be indicative of the attitude of certain senior staff at the club. That is a horse's mouth account, incidentally.

Anyway, as I've said already, there is every chance that things have changed. If Gus does come back in, I'm sure he will be aware of how much importance is currently placed on the development of players through the club's youth system.

22 minutes ago, thepaisleypanda said:

I proved NO point! - An honest error about one specific match!

There was definitely a game in that period that Millen took charge for reasons stated! 

Yes, there was. It was also at Motherwell. I think we prevailed in that game too. Was it maybe the match that Dorman scored a 30 yard looper with the outside of his boot?

Gus was pretty good with youth. You saw guys like Lappin, Van Zanten, Barron, Sutton, Adam, Broadfoot and Stephen McGinn all play regularly and clearly develop their game while with us. All while getting us promoted and keeping us in the league.

I thought Gus was brilliant, his football was effective for what the expectations were. Was he able to take us to the 'next level' and play a different style of football, of course not. He played to his teams strengths and didn't force a style that the players were unable to play.

He played a major part in overhauling our infrastructure, from the days of training in the park to having a training facility of our own.

If Kearney likes him and they build a good working relationship, I think it's a really positive step by the club.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Here are, what maybe some uncomfortable facts for you.

i insisted the board at the time were wrong to bin/let go of Gus as i couldnt see who they would attract to do better.

please see above line Re Danny Lennon too..!

in the majority calling the Tommy 'Farah' Craig decision bonkers. As was the Teale hospital pass...

almost alone in insisting Murray should have been no where near the club. Many on here deciding that was worth abusing me over.

thought Rae could strengthen us, he did. Felt he was sacked way too early.

thought Ross should have been appointed with an experienced mentor (could've been Gus) he almost relegated us befire turning it round.

was excited by Guti applying for the job, but when the board basically said we are playing it safe/cheap in their recruitment, thought Stubbs was the best of the proposed bunch. Sacked painfully too early, leaving the next guy potentially very big hospital pass.

Oran seems a personable sort, dont think he deserves being saddled with Gus's baggage, whilst trying to sort out a competitive team from the squad.

yeah i am definitely not like MOST fans whose flip flop, fickleness has helped sees us with eight managers since Gus left.

how many did you want sacked?

Why would any of that diatribe make me uncomfortable? 

You have gone so far off on a tangent you are one step away from yelling at clouds. Laughable stuff really, you're more to be pitied than scorned. 

7 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Gus was pretty good with youth. You saw guys like Lappin, Van Zanten, Barron, Sutton, Adam, Broadfoot and Stephen McGinn all play regularly and clearly develop their game while with us. All while getting us promoted and keeping us in the league.

I thought Gus was brilliant, his football was effective for what the expectations were. Was he able to take us to the 'next level' and play a different style of football, of course not. He played to his teams strengths and didn't force a style that the players were unable to play.

He played a major part in overhauling our infrastructure, from the days of training in the park to having a training facility of our own.

If Kearney likes him and they build a good working relationship, I think it's a really positive step by the club.

It's the "if's" in life that are important.  :wink:

Edited by pod

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

His words post match, he did bring on his subs too.

but hey dont take my word for it. Here's the telegraph match report extract. silly me it was six up front, not five!

Celtic's faint hopes of catching Rangers at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League were all but demolished in the most dramatic fashion with their first league defeat at St Mirren in 21 years. 

In an astonishing night in Paisley doubles by Buddies' midfielders Andy Dorman and Steven Thomson stunned the Hoops who were booed off the park by the travelling fans at the end. 

The Parkhead side, who finished the game with six attackers on the park, remain 10 points behind their Ibrox rivals who have two games in hand.

You said strikers not attackers. 

Arguably he had 4 strikers on the park at one time, Rasmussen, Fortune, Keane and Samaras, but that was only from the 75th minute onwards.

McGeady was an attacker, Ki was an attacker. It’s perfectly normal to have 5 or 6 attackers on the park at the same time, especially late on in a game when you’re getting gubbed.

45 minutes ago, Drew said:

My understanding is that Gus didn't only permitted the 1st team squad to train on the grass at Ralston. Could be mistaken on that, but I recall mention of it changing when Danny came in. He had a more inclusive approach, by all accounts.

What I do know, however, is that a young player who subsequently starred for St Mirren, and then with another club in Scotland, and has now moved to England, was told he would never cut it. Too wee, or something to that effect. It was a source of some consternation with said player and his family, and was reported to be indicative of the attitude of certain senior staff at the club. That is a horse's mouth account, incidentally.

Anyway, as I've said already, there is every chance that things have changed. If Gus does come back in, I'm sure he will be aware of how much importance is currently placed on the development of players through the club's youth system.

We know your refering to Kenny McLean

Danny Lennon saved him from the fitba wilderness 

Gus and Longwell didn't get on

The BOD more or less took Longwell side and that was the end of Gus

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

This...

does anyone serioulsy believe Wee Anxious wont be all over the playing side of things? You actually think he would be able to not interfere with everything? Some naivety on here today.

i would add to the above this smacks of the board trying to distance themselves from things if it all goes tits uo again. "No, no dont bring your Pitchforks and Torches round here.... go lynch the technical director... he's the guy in charge"

Gus under the bus :rolleyes:

So Kenny McLean personally told you this?

The fact is that, in the last 6 months of Gus’ reign as manager, Kenny McLean went on loan at Arbroath and spent most of the time on the bench. He was just a kid at the time and clearly not get ready for first team football.

We’ll never know what would have happened had Gus remained manager.

What we do know for sure is that not a single youth player who Gus allegedly ignored ever went on to make it with another club.

And we also know that Stephen McGinn established himself as a first team regular under Gus. As did David Barron.

He also made a teenage Charlie Adam a regular in our First Division winning side.

Connor Ramsay also became the youngest player ever to play for St Mirren in the top flight when Gus gave him his debut.

If they were good enough then Gus played them.