Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

3 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So Kenny McLean personally told you this?

The fact is that, in the last 6 months of Gus’ reign as manager, Kenny McLean went on loan at Arbroath and spent most of the time on the bench. He was just a kid at the time and clearly not get ready for first team football.

We’ll never know what would have happened had Gus remained manager.

What we do know for sure is that not a single youth player who Gus allegedly ignored ever went on to make it with another club.

And we also know that Stephen McGinn established himself as a first team regular under Gus. As did David Barron.

He also made a teenage Charlie Adam a regular in our First Division winning side.

Connor Ramsay also became the youngest player ever to play for St Mirren in the top flight when Gus gave him his debut.

If they were good enough then Gus played them.

I never said it was Kenny McLean.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Too many fannies have it in for Gus. Mainly for imaginary reasons.

I therefore don’t think he should come back. I also don’t think a club of our size needs such a role.

The past is the past. If he comes back, he'll get my full support. I don't have any huge issue with him, and that has been clear from my posts on this thread.

I am, however, a fanny, and readily concede that point.

43 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You said strikers not attackers. 

Arguably he had 4 strikers on the park at one time, Rasmussen, Fortune, Keane and Samaras, but that was only from the 75th minute onwards.

McGeady was an attacker, Ki was an attacker. It’s perfectly normal to have 5 or 6 attackers on the park at the same time, especially late on in a game when you’re getting gubbed.

Eh?

who plays with six attackers ffs?

The first part I've quoted from you reminded me straight away of one thing. The season we got gubbed twice by Falkirk, 5-1 at home and 4-0 at TFS. The week after both matches we faced Celtic. Came out with a 1-1 draw at Parkhead. Should have had a 0-0 at Love Street but Nakamura's antics and a dodgy referee (perhaps Eddie Smith?) denied us on the 87th minute. And of course the 9-man final defeat to pumping Celtic 4-0 three days later. We certainly had some solid responses from defeats.
His title winning season was made better by the Cup double. That match in Airdrie was my first ever "away" game. Will never forget that one. It was fantastic to see us lift two trophies that year.
Think we got pumped 7-0 at park head then the week later beat them at SMP in the Cup

The club wont be bothered what the fans think, and will appoint whoever. So my last word on it is we hear today the club are looking to appoint Gus as a technical director. But only a couple of days ago Oran suggested that Jimmy Nicholl was the man on his radar! So presumably it was an appointment discussed at his interview.  

so it would appear Oran would like one person, but the club are imposing another on him? How thevf**k is this a good start to his tenure being ridden roughshod over.

He may have worked well with youth initially but by the end he was naming the bench one or two subs short rather than fill it with kids. Once Stephen McGinn got sold in January he found himself short of an under-21 player for the squad so in came Rory Loy on loan. He barely played but it seemed having him there was preferable to bringing in someone from the youth set-up.

Loy himself even admitted a few months ago on the Pele podcast that was the reason he was here and it was a waste of time. He also said Graham Carey was brought in to fulfil a similar role, the difference being a player got injured in the warm-up for a game against Rangers, Carey came in, scored a great free-kick and he never looked back. The fact Loy said the injured player was Steven Robb probably adds that one credence!

Interestingly, the reason Loy said he came back to us in 2017 rather than join another club was because he felt he had a point to prove and wanted to show he was capable of playing football. Given that his goal at Easter Road kept us up, maybe we should all be thanking Gus for helping us avoid relegation to League One...

13 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So Kenny McLean personally told you this?

The fact is that, in the last 6 months of Gus’ reign as manager, Kenny McLean went on loan at Arbroath and spent most of the time on the bench. He was just a kid at the time and clearly not get ready for first team football.

We’ll never know what would have happened had Gus remained manager.

What we do know for sure is that not a single youth player who Gus allegedly ignored ever went on to make it with another club.

And we also know that Stephen McGinn established himself as a first team regular under Gus. As did David Barron.

He also made a teenage Charlie Adam a regular in our First Division winning side.

Connor Ramsay also became the youngest player ever to play for St Mirren in the top flight when Gus gave him his debut.

If they were good enough then Gus played them.

Gus wasn`t all that impressed with Charlie Adam at all when he was with us {horses mooth} thought he was unfit and lazy, think back, how many times did Charlie ever play the full 90mins with us ? I don't remember many if any,  5yrs later he was nominated for the 2010/11 PFA players player the year in England,  7million and 4million transfers followed,  hope Gus has got better at spotting talent if that's what his new role is :oops

7 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

I think it's a good move. His experience and his eye for a decent player will be a great help to OK and the club. Can't do worse in recruitment than we've had with Stubbs. Welcome back Gus.

An eye for a good cyclist in Aaron Mooy (That part? My mistook)

An eye for a good benchwarmer in Rory Loy? An ignorance of how a small club NEEDS to promote from within and make sure we fill the bench with possible future players so they have a goal to aim for? This man would only be getting a job because Scott is his pal. We complained that Stubbs brought Jackson in as jobs for the boys. Well this would be the ultimate. What is MacPherson going to really bring to the party? Is OK to be sidelined when it comes to recruitment?

Sorry. manager picks the team. Manager should know what the deficiencies are. Manager should be allowed to seek out the right fit for the team. In attitude as well as skill set.

IF the manager goes then that's a chance you take. IF the club get rid just after he signs players then it's the board who are at fault.

Keep GM out!!!!!

Edited by stlucifer