Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

19 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I believe that quote was Bobby Williamson that he reiterated, not sure if anyone still has the interview.

To hold that against him as a reason not to give a completely different job more than a decade later. I sincerely hope in your professional career you have zero recruitment or man management responsibilities.  

It's paraphrasing then Stoke boss Alan Durban from the early 80s who said "If you want entertainment go and watch some clowns" after an away game at Arsenal.

Can anyone give an earlier example?

10 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

"If you want entertainment go and watch some clowns" 

Can anyone give an earlier example?

If my memory serves me right.  I recall at Somerset Park where a supporter shouted at John McCormack, "your a clown" and John shouting back, "at least I get paid to be a clown".  

Edited by pod

8 hours ago, Taylor Edgar said:

MacPherson is poised for an emotional return to Paisley.

Aye, there will certainly be a fair bit of emotion if he does indeed return.  Not sure how much of it will be displayed by MacPherson, however.

13 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Gus wasn`t all that impressed with Charlie Adam at all when he was with us {horses mooth} thought he was unfit and lazy, think back, how many times did Charlie ever play the full 90mins with us ? I don't remember many if any,  5yrs later he was nominated for the 2010/11 PFA players player the year in England,  7million and 4million transfers followed,  hope Gus has got better at spotting talent if that's what his new role is :oops

Gus was correct about Adam when he was with us. He was dumped out of Ibrox because of his fitness and attitude. Probably Gus and Andy Millen that shaped Adam up and got him back on track. Listen to the players appreciation of his time with Gus that will tell you all you need to know. 

Gus McPherson did a tremendous job with St Mirren and would be a quality addition to the club. Would also be a huge help to Kearney. I'd take him over Jimmy Nichol all day long.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:
7 hours ago, jaybee said:

Difficult to argue with your fairly 'reasonable' assessment of where GM is currently, however I would simply refer you back to GS, whom I do not know anything about other than what is public knowledge, therefore I am  definitely not ITK.  Having said that; I vannot believe he would risk what he is trying to achieve at St Mirren by placing the wrong person in a job he seems to believe could be crucial for the future of the club (simply to give his friend a job).  :D

Assuming yoi believe GM can do any damage in the role. I believe it an unnecessary role unless you can't trust your manager. If that's the case then GM would, IMO, be the wrong man to make decisions for him.

To answer yoi completely: it doesn't matter what you, I or anyone else believes; it's what GS believes and it seems to me that he rectified the Stubbs mistake as soon as he realistically could and would do the same should GM not fulfill the role he envisioned to assist OK.  When one employs someone; it is to do a job of work for you and GS obviously believes that GM can do that for himself and St Mirren football club.  Be assured, OK is in charge but it's a measure of the man that he admitted he could do with some assistance in getting up to speed with the Scottish game; ergo GM. OK? I assume all is OK regarding GS, GM, OK and yoi and I?  :D

When Brian Caldwell got the Shrewsbury job, it was what he was doing at St Mirren that got him the gig. Clearly, Gus isn’t a ‘technical director’ but if we advertised the job, who would actually apply for it that could send in their CV and say ‘yes, I’ve been technical director at so-and-so FC for the past five years and am ready for a new challenge’. Cannae’ see the postbox at FeegieField bulging with experienced applicants. If GLS, Fitzy, and indeed Kearney, are happy with Gus, happy with the fact there’s a genuine need for it, and it will aid Kearney and shape a better club, then fine with me.

I haven’t a scooby how many backroom staff a top flight football club needs, but I cannot imagine GLS merely creating an imaginary vacancy for a mate. Why would he do that? Why would Kearney accept it? Why would Gus entertain it? Say what you like about Gus, I think he’s a football man who has his pride.

Anyway, GLS and Fitzy are charged with making the big calls, so let them crack on with this one... can Gus still do a turn in defence?

Edited by pozbaird

Did you actually read Charlie`s piece or did you just look at the pictures, his first line is Gus forgave me for my on field errors , then he said I made mistakes and I was immature,  Can you not read between the lines, are you really that stupid,  :shockaroony shit just saw your SFA  hall of fame photo... don't answer that question

Read between the lines what that he said he played a huge part in his career giving him the confidence to go out and play and not worry about making mistakes instead you take any negative words and try to twist them into your own little fantasy.

He has nothing but praise for gus

Vanzy says that gus is the best manager he’s ever worked with to which Charlie Adam likes the tweet.

1 minute ago, ged62 said:

Love how this forums full of experts on who can & can not do a job. Why do some of you not apply for the positions? Before some say it’s their opinion, it’s not they actually think they know better. emoji6.png

And! what would be the point of offering an opinion, if you DIDN'T know better my friend?  A certainty that 'you' are right and that you know 'you' are right is what drives debate!  Light the fuse and retire.  :D

1 minute ago, lenziebud said:

Would also be a huge help to Kearney.

In what ways?

This is a genuine question.

He has been managing a p/t club for years now, so is hardly likely to have established an extensive list of contacts in the game that could be drawn upon in our new manager's hunt for players.

MacPherson may well have been popular with his players, but that is what we expect of the new manager, not a backstage official at the club - or would the TD have a more hands-on role (which, in itself, throws up all manner of questions).

What experience does he have in a similar type role? I don't know what his role is at QP, but it would likely be quite different from anything remotely equivalent at a full-time club in the top division.

As much as some are letting their experiences and memories of Gus' time at the club cloud their judgement in a negative way, the flip side might also be applying here. Yes, he was a relatively successful manager for us, but does that mean he would seemlessly slot into this role?

The other big question for me is whether Kearney was aware of the plans to bring in a TD when he accepted the manager's job. Whilst he might have acknowledged that he would benefit from the support of someone with experience of the Scottish game, I wonder if he would have preferred to have the option of picking that someone.

People keep saying OK needs someone who knows the Scottish game - what’s Brian Rice doing - surely that’s his role. We don’t need Gus.

And Tony is a hero to most but he is NOT A CEO. Brian Caldwell was always buzzing about on a match day- perhaps I’m doing Tony a dis-service but only ever see him in Directors Box. 

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

In what ways?

This is a genuine question.

He has been managing a p/t club for years now, so is hardly likely to have established an extensive list of contacts in the game that could be drawn upon in our new manager's hunt for players.

MacPherson may well have been popular with his players, but that is what we expect of the new manager, not a backstage official at the club - or would the TD have a more hands-on role (which, in itself, throws up all manner of questions).

What experience does he have in a similar type role? I don't know what his role is at QP, but it would likely be quite different from anything remotely equivalent at a full-time club in the top division.

As much as some are letting their experiences and memories of Gus' time at the club cloud their judgement in a negative way, the flip side might also be applying here. Yes, he was a relatively successful manager for us, but does that mean he would seemlessly slot into this role?

The other big question for me is whether Kearney was aware of the plans to bring in a TD when he accepted the manager's job. Whilst he might have acknowledged that he would benefit from the support of someone with experience of the Scottish game, I wonder if he would have preferred to have the option of picking that someone.

All fair and relevant questions. None of which we can answer. I should have chinned GLS, Fitzy, and Brian Rice at the golf day. :)

3 minutes ago, renfrew bud said:

People keep saying OK needs someone who knows the Scottish game - what’s Brian Rice doing - surely that’s his role. We don’t need Gus.

And Tony is a hero to most but he is NOT A CEO. Brian Caldwell was always buzzing about on a match day- perhaps I’m doing Tony a dis-service but only ever see him in Directors Box. 

How about: when you are in charge . you get to choose : meanwhile?

Tony is the CEO who works for GS, |Stubbs worked for GS, didn't work out . no Stubbs ?

Bees also buzz about on match days?

Are you implying he should have his own CEO box?    B)

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Gus isn't a technical director and he's now not a top level manager either. Do you think he would even be considered for this role if he wasn't mates with the chairman? Somehow I doubt it. 

We need some quality outfield players in , not more backroom staff.

Indeed , was the departure of GLS the first time not due in part to the dismissal of wee Anxious . .

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, Magic Monkey said:

That's not what I've inferred from any of this. GLS' comments summed it up - managers come and go, and we need continuity. We know Stubbs didn't bother with any of Jack's signings, and then his targets fell through, so we were scuppered.

OK could be an absolute revelation and get poached next summer by a bigger club and we could be starting this whole mess again. Just having a single constant at the club, with a footballing role, could be vital.

Now... I'm not necessarily convinced Gus is the answer there, I liked the idea of Nicholl, but there ya go. Maybe Nicholl's too old for the long-term view.

Aside from the fact that the wole recruiting process seemed to go into limbo for about a month from Ipswich's initial declaration of interest in JR  to  Stubbsys appointment it amazes me that Stubbsy could have got the job without indicating which of JRs targets he was interested in or give his alternatives - everyone knows (except for one Scouser apparently :toilet ) the difficulty we've had attracting genuine talent to the club on the budget available.

Stubbsy turned out to be a bad appointment but the whole process was a bit of a mess (are you reading TF/GLS?) as the impending Return of the Gus shows! Even now I'm not saying Stubbsy shouldn't have been allowed to make is own picks but like I said above he should at least have been asked why he would chose them ahead of JRs at the interview. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Gus isn't a technical director and he's now not a top level manager either. Do you think he would even be considered for this role if he wasn't mates with the chairman? Somehow I doubt it. 

We need some quality outfield players in , not more backroom staff.

Short term yes but we need someone to oversee the recruiting process and provide continuity in a business where managers change frequently so that a complete overhaul is not required each time.

Whether that merits a F/T appointment is a question that must also be asked. It might very well be F/T during the Transfer Windows but not outside them which should be reflected in the remuneration it might even suit someone like Sir Thommo of Hawk with his media commitments.

From the Mail:

QUEEN’S PARK head coach Gus MacPherson insists that it is extremely premature to talk about him leaving his role at the Spiders and heading back to St Mirren.

The 49-year-old has been linked with the job of technical director at the Paisley club, where he was manager for nearly seven years, and the Hampden outfit have given permission for talks to take place. MacPherson, who left St Mirren in 2010, has yet to meet with new Saints boss Oran Kearney as well as chairman Gordon Scott and chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick, and he wants to hear their views on what the role entails before moving forward. MacPherson said: ‘St Mirren asked Queen’s Park for permission to speak to me on Tuesday and that has been granted. I do not know much more than that and what I have read after the story appeared.’ ‘I do not know Oran and I have never spoken to him. I do know St Mirren as a club, but any move would depend on what Oran wants and what St Mirren want from the role.

‘The manager has to be comfortable about getting on with the job he wants to do and I do not know what any role supporting that entails.’ The timing of St Mirren’s request could hardly have come at a worse time for Queen’s as it arrived just a couple of hours after they learned they would be losing their home as part of the Scottish FA’s deal to buy Hampden.

MacPherson will hold off making a decision, as he explained: ‘I do know what I would be giving up and I have turned jobs down in the past, so nothing has been agreed. Hopefully talks take place between everyone involved soon.’

Guest TPAFKATS

Agree with all that. Fitzpatrick is clearly in the wrong job and should step down. I’d be happy to see him stay as some kind of club ambassador but he’s never a chief executive.

Gus isn’t a ‘technical director’ either, whatever that means. Gus is a manager... Let’s hope he isn’t being put into the wrong job too.

If MacPherson is brought in we will have such a strange scenario. Is there any other football club in the world where there are two ex managers of that football club employed above the head of the current manager?

I think Bayern use this model of having ex managers in senior positions. Don't know if they currently have two ex managers in these roles though.

Guest TPAFKATS
From the Mail:
QUEEN’S PARK head coach Gus MacPherson insists that it is extremely premature to talk about him leaving his role at the Spiders and heading back to St Mirren.
The 49-year-old has been linked with the job of technical director at the Paisley club, where he was manager for nearly seven years, and the Hampden outfit have given permission for talks to take place. MacPherson, who left St Mirren in 2010, has yet to meet with new Saints boss Oran Kearney as well as chairman Gordon Scott and chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick, and he wants to hear their views on what the role entails before moving forward. MacPherson said: ‘St Mirren asked Queen’s Park for permission to speak to me on Tuesday and that has been granted. I do not know much more than that and what I have read after the story appeared.’ ‘I do not know Oran and I have never spoken to him. I do know St Mirren as a club, but any move would depend on what Oran wants and what St Mirren want from the role.
‘The manager has to be comfortable about getting on with the job he wants to do and I do not know what any role supporting that entails.’ The timing of St Mirren’s request could hardly have come at a worse time for Queen’s as it arrived just a couple of hours after they learned they would be losing their home as part of the Scottish FA’s deal to buy Hampden.
MacPherson will hold off making a decision, as he explained: ‘I do know what I would be giving up and I have turned jobs down in the past, so nothing has been agreed. Hopefully talks take place between everyone involved soon.’
Gus is only 49 [emoji44]