Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Very much reminds me of the Levein/Cathro situation at Hearts.

Cathro was an inexperienced guy who had never played or managed at full time level. He was the ‘manager’. Just like Kearney.

Levein was a respected ex manager and played of said club and had been kicking around for years. He was the ‘director’. Just like Gus.

Levein was seen to be passing instructions down from the posh seats to the touchline during games on more than one occasion. He was clearly pulling the strings. Things go wrong, Cathro gets the bullet and the new manager is of course, Craig Levein.

It's been a long time since MacPherson did anything to be respected for. Well past his sell by date and, when he was manager with us he was definitely on the wane. I would fear for us if he were directing matter, re, on the park.

Edited by stlucifer

Had Mr McPherson been a wise and talented manager, he would not have been plying his trade with the Spiders (no disrespect intended).  Just when it looks like we might turn a corner with the appointment of OK...  we recruit another old boy.    He’s hardly likely to have extensive contacts , he never appeared to be very technically gifted as a manager can’t rhyme off a list of great players he’s discovered...  

appreciate i am on the outside looking in.  No real idea of what the job description might be... but hard to see what value Mr McPherson brings with him...  the greatest attribute on his CV seems to be “friend of the BOD” .   

If there is a role to be filled, surely it would have been better to advertise it...  try to bring in the best candidate.  Whether the job is selling hotdogs, putting out cones or defining and directing football strategy for the club....  Mr McPherson probably isnt the best candidate!

We have to hope this this does not impact on OK or what he wants to build and it does not backfire on the BoD the way Mr Stubbs did.   We can’t afford lots of expensive mistakes....  unless we plan on doubling the price of buddievision the way we doubled the price of the bricks to give us a “pay off” fund.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Welcome back Gus. A true club legend.

Think this is an excellent and slightly bizarre appointment by the board. We have two ex managers managing the current manager. What a weird situation.

There’s one of two things going on here.

Either Gus is the manager and this is a sneaky way of Gordon getting his mate back in the hot seat without inciting the ire of a large section of the fan base. Kearny is a show pony. There to arrange the cones, do the interviews and clap the fans after the games.

Or.. Kearny is the manager and the board have absolutely no faith that he is up to it. Note none of our managers before needed a technical director... and Gus is there to be that and will step into the breach if things go tits up.

Not sure what’s the most likely. Either way, the appointment of Oran makes far more sense now.

Can I ask why you think Gus is managing Oran ?  Can only go on what Scott said he did not say Gus was part of the .management. He did say we need someone in to identify future signings. 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Very much reminds me of the Levein/Cathro situation at Hearts.

Cathro was an inexperienced guy who had never played or managed at full time level. He was the ‘manager’. Just like Kearney.

Levein was a respected ex manager and played of said club and had been kicking around for years. He was the ‘director’. Just like Gus.

Levein was seen to be passing instructions down from the posh seats to the touchline during games on more than one occasion. He was clearly pulling the strings. Things go wrong, Cathro gets the bullet and the new manager is of course, Craig Levein.

What was Cathro's managing career prior to this?

Kearney managed Coleraine for 7 years. He would have been informed about the interest of appointing a Technical Director before taking the job. He wouldn't have given that job up, with Coleraine doing incredibly well, if he wasn't going to be our actual manager.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Think this is an excellent and slightly bizarre appointment by the board. We have two ex managers managing the current manager. What a weird situation.

Either Gus is the manager and this is a sneaky way of Gordon getting his mate back in the hot seat without inciting the ire of a large section of the fan base. Kearny is a show pony. There to arrange the cones, do the interviews and clap the fans after the games.

Or.. Kearny is the manager and the board have absolutely no faith that he is up to it. Note none of our managers before needed a technical director... and Gus is there to be that and will step into the breach if things go tits up.

Not sure what’s the most likely. Either way, the appointment of Oran makes far more sense now.

I don’t agree with many of your posts mate, but I’m astounded by the feedback you’re getting on this one.

I really don’t understand this appointment and much as it pains me to say it, I share your confusion.

I was delighted with the appointment of OK  I’ve loved the noises he’s been making so far and he sure as hell got off to a decent start in the playing sense.  I absolutely cannot see the benefit of muddying the waters with the appointment of an old manager, especially whose star (such as he has one) has dwindled in recent years.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Odd take on the appointment and probably down to you misting up over Gus's return.

Gus will no doubt help everyone as required and when a bigger Club comes in for Oran he will be able to assist a smoother transition to the next manager.

I think the biggest beneficiary is likely to be Tony as there is probably a lot of back room work going on.

Welcome back Gus.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Kearny is the manager and the board have absolutely no faith that he is up to it. Note none of our managers before needed a technical director... and Gus is there to be that and will step into the breach if things go tits up.

Ye, so let's offer him a 3 year deal, uproot his family, let him resign his full time job :unsure:.When we could have just as easily offered the job to Gus no matter what the supporters thought, because most will have made that assumption in any case.     

1 hour ago, Robbie said:

Had Mr McPherson been a wise and talented manager, he would not have been plying his trade with the Spiders (no disrespect intended).  Just when it looks like we might turn a corner with the appointment of OK...  we recruit another old boy.    He’s hardly likely to have extensive contacts , he never appeared to be very technically gifted as a manager can’t rhyme off a list of great players he’s discovered...  

appreciate i am on the outside looking in.  No real idea of what the job description might be... but hard to see what value Mr McPherson brings with him...  the greatest attribute on his CV seems to be “friend of the BOD” .   

If there is a role to be filled, surely it would have been better to advertise it...  try to bring in the best candidate.  Whether the job is selling hotdogs, putting out cones or defining and directing football strategy for the club....  Mr McPherson probably isnt the best candidate!

We have to hope this this does not impact on OK or what he wants to build and it does not backfire on the BoD the way Mr Stubbs did.   We can’t afford lots of expensive mistakes....  unless we plan on doubling the price of buddievision the way we doubled the price of the bricks to give us a “pay off” fund.

What an. Utter load of shite. 

15 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

FFS give it a rest Lucy...
We know how you feel about the appointment! Honestly. We do!

Petty childish jibes at every opportunity though? WTF are you hoping to achieve?

He has been appointed and as things stand, is nowhere near as negative as you are!

OK FuddieinEK. (How does that feel?) We an all distort pseudonyms. 

IF you are bringing in a person to augment the management team that person MUST have the same football philosophy as the manager. 

This is chalk and cheese. You can dress it up as much as you like but the only reason for Scott bringing MacPherson back is a stepping stone to land firmly in the dugout. Exactly where Scott wants him to be.

Edited by stlucifer

Bloody hell that’s ingenious! Someone’s invented a random fictitious opinion generator. Wouldn’t mind one of those. [emoji4]

OK FuddieinEK. (How does that feel?) We an all distort pseudonyms. 
IF you are bringing in a person to augment the management team that person MUST have the same football philosophy as the manager. 
This is chalk and cheese. You can dress it up as much as you like but the only reason for Scott bringing MacPherson back is a stepping stone to land firmly in the dugout. Exactly where Scott wants him to be.

Utter garbage

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Really?

Is this some sort of rule?

No but it is common sense. It would/will be counterproductive if the "Technical Director" is charged with sourcing players and his idea of football is so different as to be like a completely alternative sport.

I believe Gus MacPherson will be a disaster for St. Mirren.