Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

15 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

OK FuddieinEK. (How does that feel?) We an all distort pseudonyms. 

IF you are bringing in a person to augment the management team that person MUST have the same football philosophy as the manager. 

This is chalk and cheese. You can dress it up as much as you like but the only reason for Scott bringing MacPherson back is a stepping stone to land firmly in the dugout. Exactly where Scott wants him to be.

We've just hired a new manager ffs. If that was really the case then we wouldn't have bothered with Oran.

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

No but it is common sense. It would/will be counterproductive if the "Technical Director" is charged with sourcing players and his idea of football is so different as to be like a completely alternative sport.

I believe Gus MacPherson will be a disaster for St. Mirren.

On what basis do you make this assumption given that the man hasn’t actually started in his new role at the club. It appears that you’ve already made your mind up about him failing before he’s even taken on the task.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

We've just hired a new manager ffs. If that was really the case then we wouldn't have bothered with Oran.

Let me explain where I'm coming from.

We all know how close Scott and MacPherson are. he's openly admitted the friendship.

IF he had appointed him as manager there would have been, rightly so, a meltdown. He's failed miserably , both at the tail end of his Buddies' career and since.

There is no way he would have been accepted. the next best thing is to create a post, which it's been stated, WILL cross over to the playing side of things. How much is yet to be discovered but it WILL entail recruitment. Given they claim it's to do with continuity the inference is that he will have more of a say than the manager in that process

At the very least this means that Kearney  will have to make the proverbial silk purse out of MacPherson's sow's ear.

This appointment could actually make Oran think again about his position. if tat happens who do you think will be best placed to slide in like a Tommy Craig?

4 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

On what basis do you make this assumption given that the man hasn’t actually started in his new role at the club. It appears that you’ve already made your mind up about him failing before he’s even taken on the task.

Because he's failed ever since just before he left us. There is NOTHING to suggest he can do this job. Well nothing except the wee matter of mates rates.

No but it is common sense. It would/will be counterproductive if the "Technical Director" is charged with sourcing players and his idea of football is so different as to be like a completely alternative sport.

I believe Gus MacPherson will be a disaster for St. Mirren.

I disagree.

The management team will be looking to recruit certain types of players for specific positions.

The management team may have certain players that they already know about for some positions, but there may be a requirement find players for positions, that there is no obvious candidate for.

IMO MacPherson will be charged with casting a wider net than we normally are capable of, based of the management team's specifications, and subsequently finding a selection of these types of player for the management team to choose from.

It will be up to the management team to pick and choose from the list of players identified.

I'd rather have a person within the club suggesting a list of players after researching and watching the players in action, as opposed to a raft of random names suggested by agents.

I believe it will improve our fortunes in signing players.

Because he's failed ever since just before he left us. There is NOTHING to suggest he can do this job. Well nothing except the wee matter of mates rates.

The QP fans seem to think his recruitment of players was one of his strengths.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I disagree.

The management team will be looking to recruit certain types of players for specific positions.

The management team may have certain players that they already know about for some positions, but there may be a requirement find players for positions, that there is no obvious candidate for.

IMO MacPherson will be charged with casting a wider net than we normally are capable of, based of the management team's specifications, and subsequently finding a selection of these types of player for the management team to choose from.

It will be up to the management team to pick and choose from the list of players identified.

I'd rather have a person within the club suggesting a list of players after researching and watching the players in action, as opposed to a raft of random names suggested by agents.

Then where is the point of a "Technical Director" if he is just acting like a scout at the behest of the management team? We were told this was a departure which would result in continuity so how does that work if we're still relying on the current manager to say what type of player he needs? It doesn't really make sense. We would be left in the same boat if the manager is replaced and somebody with a different philosophy walked through the door. Square pegs would still potentially be filling round holes.

Edited by stlucifer

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I disagree.

Disagree , Oran has shown right away that he has better contacts than Gus could even dream about. He clearly has decent contacts , probably gleaned from agents he has dealt with when involved in transfer dealings from Coleraine  .  Gus is a dinosaur in comparison  and I can't really see a role for him ,  unless TF is moved sideways , then out.

12 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

He failed at what with us ? League championship title Bells cup win, semi finals of the Scottish cup league cup final and kept the club in the top flight, and this after years in the wilderness of doing sweet f**k all. 

But you carry on with your agenda against the man if it makes you happy. 

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Obviously you know better than them.

You're just making yourself look a bit daft now.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a blood pressure monitor, if I were you.

Because I believe this is a stitch  up doesn't mean steam is coming from my ears. Any more than you disagreeing means you need beta blockers.

Q.P. are an amateur side plying there trade in the lower half of League 2. Saint Mirren are attempting to become an established Premier league club. Where's the similarities?

Just now, billyg said:

Disagree , Oran has shown right away that he has better contacts than Gus could even dream about. He clearly has decent contacts , probably gleaned from agents he has dealt with when involved in transfer dealings from Coleraine  .  Gus is a dinosaur in comparison  and I can't really see a role for him ,  unless TF is moved sideways , then out.

Of course Oran will have some contacts with agents. However, I'm sure his list of contacts isn't endless and with a premiership club, he won't have a huge amount of time to source a wide range of players or even go and watch players initially or to speak to players agents etc.

A lot of assumptions are being made about MacPherson since he left us. How do you know what contacts MacPherson has or what he's been doing to develop his skills since he left us?

I'm not overly enamoured regarding his appointment, but why don't we give him a chance to see if he does make a positive contribution to the club?

The manager doesn’t strike me as a yes man. I’d be hugely surprised if he hasn’t been involved and isn’t supportive.

1 minute ago, class of 76-77 said:

He failed at what with us ? League championship title Bells cup win, semi finals of the Scottish cup league cup final and kept the club in the top flight, and this after years in the wilderness of doing sweet f**k all. 

But you carry on with your agenda against the man if it makes you happy. 

We were struggling to stay in the Premier league towards the end of his time. The football was dire and the supporters were drifting away to the cinema. I think that counts as a fail. That's why he was replaced.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

Because I believe this is a stitch  up doesn't mean steam is coming from my ears. Any more than you disagreeing means you need beta blockers.

Q.P. are an amateur side plying there trade in the lower half of League 2. Saint Mirren are attempting to become an established Premier league club. Where's the similarities?

Coleraine are a club plying their trade in the Irish league. St. Mirren are a club attempting to become an established Premiership club. Where are the similarities?:wink:

Just now, FTOF said:

Coleraine are a club plying their trade in the Irish league. St. Mirren are a club attempting to become an established Premiership club. Where are the similarities?:wink:

What's that got to do with it? IF you think OK is the wrong man just say so. Some will agree and that's for another debate. Even if he was it would be even more important to have competency above him.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

We were struggling to stay in the Premier league towards the end of his time. The football was dire and the supporters were drifting away to the cinema. I think that counts as a fail. That's why he was replaced.

You do realise that Gus never actually used the cinema comment in relation to our supporters, he was quoting what Bobby Williamson said to the Killie fans while he was manager there.