Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

Just now, FTOF said:

Of course Oran will have some contacts with agents. However, I'm sure his list of contacts isn't endless and with a premiership club, he won't have a huge amount of time to source a wide range of players or even go and watch players initially or to speak to players agents etc.

A lot of assumptions are being made about MacPherson since he left us. How do you know what contacts MacPherson has or what he's been doing to develop his skills since he left us?

I'm not overly enamoured regarding his appointment, but why don't we give him a chance to see if he does make a positive contribution to the club?

Remember when he fell out with DL , and refused to include young guys on the bench , even on occasion having a reduced quota of subs , rather than include a youngster or two. That was a main reason in his ultimate sacking , he was in the job that long he thought he was untouchable. He gave SG an ultimatum about bringing players in and he was handed his P45. This will end in tears I tell you !

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Have you read your posts?:lol:

Is my PC camera on or are you able to tell from the depth of my typing ? Because I'm arguing my case and don't agree with your take  and don't use wee smilies to accentuate doesn't mean I'm sitting here bashing my keyboard against the wall. I'll look you up if it comes to that Doc.

9 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Q.P. are an amateur side plying there trade in the lower half of League 2. Saint Mirren are attempting to become an established Premier league club. 

Must have been frustrating being a manager with next to nothing if not nothing of a budget.  Tempting players to play for a lowly amateur club.    I'll sit on the fence with this appointment.

Nothing surprises me anymore with our club.     

Edited by pod

2 minutes ago, pod said:

Must have been frustrating being a manager with next to nothing if not nothing of a budget.  Tempting players to play for a lowly amateur club.    I'll sit on the fence with this appointment.

Nothing surprises me anymore with our club.     

I applaud your optimism. (Wee smilie to prove my blood pressure is fine) :lol:

Two very different situations Lex.
OK has 7 years of management experience. Regardless of part time or full time, that's 7 more years of experience (PT or FT) than Cathro had when he took the Hearts role on. He may be inexperienced at FT level, but he's certainly not an inexperienced manager. Not by a long shot.
Cathro also came under a LOT of intense scrutiny off the bat as he was very much a 'do what the stats on my laptop say' type of manager and wasn't renowned for his adaptability and this ultimately cost him. He didn't really have the people skills that Kearney seem's to be getting talked up on.

Will it work out for Kearney? Who knows? It might, it might not. The comparisons to Cathro though are tenuous at best.

Could certainly argue that Cathro was much more qualified for management at this level than Kearney is. Cathro had been employed by some huge clubs around Europe and worked under some great managers and coached some of the best players in the world.

Oran has never been employed by any full time club in any capacity ever. He’s very much learning on the job. The Northern Irish league doesn’t strike me as very relevant experience.

That’s why we’ve got Gus, he’s got the relevant experience. If Jack Ross or Alan Stubbs were still here Gus wouldn’t be.

Regardless of that comparison, what is for certain is that Gus now has a significant say on the running of this football club.

This isn’t your old retired manager slowing down and going upstairs like Alex Smith at Falkirk or Alex Ferguson at United.

Gus is a young man in his 40’s and knowing what he’s like he’ll be straight in at the coalface tomorrow morning making decisions. He wouldn’t have taken this job to wallow in the background.

What do you think he will be doing? I imagine he will have the final say in recruitment at the very least. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was picking the team aswell.

59 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

OK FuddieinEK. (How does that feel?) We an all distort pseudonyms. 

IF you are bringing in a person to augment the management team that person MUST have the same football philosophy as the manager. 

This is chalk and cheese. You can dress it up as much as you like but the only reason for Scott bringing MacPherson back is a stepping stone to land firmly in the dugout. Exactly where Scott wants him to be.

Says who you. F. F. S. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Could certainly argue that Cathro was much more qualified for management at this level than Kearney is. Cathro had been employed by some huge clubs around Europe and worked under some great managers and coached some of the best players in the world.

Oran has never been employed by any full time club in any capacity ever. He’s very much learning on the job. The Northern Irish league doesn’t strike me as very relevant experience.

That’s why we’ve got Gus, he’s got the relevant experience. If Jack Ross or Alan Stubbs were still here Gus wouldn’t be.

Regardless of that comparison, what is for certain is that Gus now has a significant say on the running of this football club.

This isn’t your old retired manager slowing down and going upstairs like Alex Smith at Falkirk or Alex Ferguson at United.

Gus is a young man in his 40’s and knowing what he’s like he’ll be straight in at the coalface tomorrow morning making decisions. He wouldn’t have taken this job to wallow in the background.

What do you think he will be doing? I imagine he will have the final say in recruitment at the very least. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was picking the team aswell.

Didn't you say Stubbs wasn't qualified to manage us in Premier as he hadnt previously done it at that level?

8 minutes ago, elvis said:

Says who you. F. F. S. 

Not sure what that means but, If I read between the line correctly, I said it. the hint is in the name of the poster. But it makes no sense, as far as I can see, to have a manger with one idea of how the game should be played relying on a so called technical director foisting his signing s on him if he doesn't share that belief. IF the manager is the one calling the shots than MacPherson is being brought in as a glorified scout.    IMO.

Edited by stlucifer

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You honestly believe Gus will be involved in training and team selection, that's total fantasy on your part. Who would jack a ft job and uproot a family on those terms. Your at the wind up pure and simple. His role will be scouting and recruitment. He will be on the road watching games up here and down south identifying potential targets for when the manager says a position needs filing. The title is the issue here, it's the "in thing" but a club our size doesn't need a technical director, Imo he is basically head scout a nice, comfy role for an old pal who was probably scunnered at QP.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

The manager doesn’t strike me as a yes man. I’d be hugely surprised if he hasn’t been involved and isn’t supportive.

Of course he’s supportive. Oran mentioned the technical director in his first interview before Gus was ever mentioned.

He’d have been told at the interview that he’s getting the job on the basis that the club was going to appoint a technical director over his head. He agreed and that’s why he and Gus is here.

I thought his appointment was utterly bizarre at the time and I said so on here. I completely get it now.

He was appointed cause he agreed to Gus coming, that’s his USP. No experienced manager would sign up to an ex manager being appointed over their head at the same time as them. Oran did.

You honestly believe Gus will be involved in training and team selection, that's total fantasy on your part. Who would jack a ft job and uproot a family on those terms. Your at the wind up pure and simple. His role will be scouting and recruitment. He will be on the road watching games up here and down south identifying potential targets for when the manager says a position needs filing.

Gus isn’t a scout. You think he isn’t going to be at our games? We will see. I expect he will be sat next to his mate Gordon Scott at every match.

And Kearney can go back to his teaching job any time. Tom Hendrie did!

44 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I disagree.

The management team will be looking to recruit certain types of players for specific positions.

The management team may have certain players that they already know about for some positions, but there may be a requirement find players for positions, that there is no obvious candidate for.

IMO MacPherson will be charged with casting a wider net than we normally are capable of, based of the management team's specifications, and subsequently finding a selection of these types of player for the management team to choose from.

It will be up to the management team to pick and choose from the list of players identified.

I'd rather have a person within the club suggesting a list of players after researching and watching the players in action, as opposed to a raft of random names suggested by agents.

I believe it will improve our fortunes in signing players.

Are you new to the forum? There is no place for any rational or balanced posts in here.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Gus isn’t a scout. You think he isn’t going to be at our games? We will see. I expect he will be sat next to his mate Gordon Scott at every match.

As long as he is nowhere near the dug out fine. Where do you see Rice if you see Gus at the coal face ?

7 hours ago, magnus said:

It's got an Alex Smith/Falkirk feel to it - which isn't that exciting.  My hope is that his role is  nothing to do with management or coaching as that's Oran's job. Hopefully, the TD job is to ensure we never get left in the lurch again when a manager leaves and to get a grip of how we scout new players including viewing all new players against what we are bringing through the academy. The scout that left mentioned a total lack of communication. Welcome back Gus. Be happy :D

This post is on the button, its about continuity,if our manager leaves or gets "ahem" asked to leave there is someone  in place to keep things ticking over , great move by the BOD.

Edited by linwood buddie

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Of course he’s supportive. Oran mentioned the technical director in his first interview before Gus was ever mentioned.

He’d have been told at the interview that he’s getting the job on the basis that the club was going to appoint a technical director over his head. He agreed and that’s why he and Gus is here.

I thought his appointment was utterly bizarre at the time and I said so on here. I completely get it now.

He was appointed cause he agreed to Gus coming, that’s his USP. No experienced manager would sign up to an ex manager being appointed over their head at the same time as them. Oran did.

Oh FFS.

I think Oran's USP was, within a week, getting players motivated and organised to get a point against the champions, beginning to sort out the mess Stubbs left behind.

As long as he is nowhere near the dug out fine. Where do you see Rice if you see Gus at the coal face ?

Rice is the assistant?

Seems to be the consensus on here that Gus has been appointed as a scout.

Did I misread the press release? I never seen the word ‘scout’ once.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I can understand the thought of Gus coming back is giving you a stiffy, but you better get to the toilet and get rid of it soon because 

it's stopping the blood from getting to you're brain..

I can understand the thought of Gus coming back is giving you a stiffy, but you better get to the toilet and get rid of it soon because 
it's stopping the blood from getting to you're brain..

I’m just here to talk about football bud. You wana talk about my genitals again drop me another PM XOXOXOX

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Rice is the assistant?

Seems to be the consensus on here that Gus has been appointed as a scout.

Did I misread the press release? I never seen the word ‘scout’ once.

I would sincerely hope anyone appointed to be overseeing recruitment would be watching any potential player in my book that is scouting. So you agree Rice is the assistant so how do you think he will be reacting if your vision of the Gus role is to be believed ?

It strikes me that you are totally out on a limb here as the only fan who hopes OK fails, you are expecting it, almost willing it to happen. Strange definition of support !

1 minute ago, linwood buddie said:

This post is on the button, its about continuity,if our manager leaves or gets "ahem" askef to leave there is someone  in place to keep things ticking over , great move by the BOD.

This is the part I don't get. Perhaps the more clued up might enlighten me.

Continuity? Seriously? What continuity?

If the current manager leaves or is pushed, what then? We either have Gus' type of player which he initially sourced which would probably have  been the main reason for the manager leaving/ being sacked as they wouldn't have fitted in his philosophy or, alternatively we have a squad of players who then have to adapt to Gus' dire, boring, defensive apology for football. Where is the continuity in that? Does Gus then ride to the rescue in some throwback t his first stint? Ticking over like a time bomb AFAIC.