Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

Because I believe this is a stitch  up doesn't mean steam is coming from my ears. Any more than you disagreeing means you need beta blockers.
Q.P. are an amateur side plying there trade in the lower half of League 2. Saint Mirren are attempting to become an established Premier league club. Where's the similarities?
To be fair, they weren't in the lower half of league 2 until wee anxious took charge.

I would sincerely hope anyone appointed to be overseeing recruitment would be watching any potential player in my book that is scouting. So you agree Rice is the assistant so how do you think he will be reacting if your vision of the Gus role is to be believed ?
It strikes me that you are totally out on a limb here as the only fan who hopes OK fails, you are expecting it, almost willing it to happen. Strange definition of support !

So you think Gus has been appointed as a scout...?

If Rice doesn’t like it he should leave. He’s hardly indispensable or in demand is he?

Where did I say I want OK to fail? I’m absolutely hoping he succeeds, and with the appointment of Gus I think the chances of him succeeding has just risen hugely. Great news.

1 minute ago, Mykey said:
43 minutes ago, stlucifer said:
Because I believe this is a stitch  up doesn't mean steam is coming from my ears. Any more than you disagreeing means you need beta blockers.
Q.P. are an amateur side plying there trade in the lower half of League 2. Saint Mirren are attempting to become an established Premier league club. Where's the similarities?

To be fair, they weren't in the lower half of league 2 until wee anxious took charge.

Although I liked with a smile I don't think it a laughing matter.

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

So you think Gus has been appointed as a scout...?

If Rice doesn’t like it he should leave. He’s hardly indispensable or in demand is he?

Where did I say I want OK to fail? I’m absolutely hoping he succeeds, and with the appointment of Gus I think the chances of him succeeding has just risen hugely. Great news.

Lol, classic TC. If he succeeds it will all be down to Gus. So OK fails and it's I told you so (nowt to do with Gus no

doubt) and if he succeeds I told you Gus would be the making of him. You never change you really are an odd chap.

9 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

This is the part I don't get. Perhaps the more clued up might enlighten me.

Continuity? Seriously? What continuity?

If the current manager leaves or is pushed, what then? We either have Gus' type of player which he initially sourced which would probably have  been the main reason for the manager leaving/ being sacked as they wouldn't have fitted in his philosophy or, alternatively we have a squad of players who then have to adapt to Gus' dire, boring, defensive apology for football. Where is the continuity in that? Does Gus then ride to the rescue in some throwback t his first stint? Ticking over like a time bomb AFAIC.

Dunno.

Lol, classic TC. If he succeeds it will all be down to Gus. So OK fails and it's I told you so (nowt to do with Gus no
doubt) and if he succeeds I told you Gus would be the making of him. You never change you really are an odd chap.

Have a go at me for wanting OK to fail, then have a go at me for wanting him to succeed [emoji38]

I would pass comment on your previous posts, but I have absolutely no idea who you are, so I can’t. Sorry.

Although I liked with a smile I don't think it a laughing matter.
I agree, but if I didn't laugh I'd cry. I lurked on this forum for a bit, but I only joined to voice my opinion that wee anxious had to go, they eventually sacked him on my birthday, the best present I got. For him to come back in any capacity beyond cleaner is making me queesy, but I can't afford to run the club so what will be will be. Hopefully he's not allowed anywhere near the team and OK's smfc's revival continues.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I disagree.

The management team will be looking to recruit certain types of players for specific positions.

The management team may have certain players that they already know about for some positions, but there may be a requirement find players for positions, that there is no obvious candidate for.

IMO MacPherson will be charged with casting a wider net than we normally are capable of, based of the management team's specifications, and subsequently finding a selection of these types of player for the management team to choose from.

It will be up to the management team to pick and choose from the list of players identified.

I'd rather have a person within the club suggesting a list of players after researching and watching the players in action, as opposed to a raft of random names suggested by agents.

I believe it will improve our fortunes in signing players.

Some one talking sense at last. 

14 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

If we had to appoint someone to this post why on earth did we pick someone who has a poor record as manager in the lowest of our leagues, has no experience in this particular post and was  annoyingly negative in his last spell with us. It is a very strange appointment in my opinion.

Didn't he have a decent record with us? 

If we had to appoint someone to this post why on earth did we pick someone who has a poor record as manager in the lowest of our leagues, has no experience in this particular post and was  annoyingly negative in his last spell with us. It is a very strange appointment in my opinion.
He had a good record with us and was a hell of a lot less negative than you, St Lucifer, and others on this thread.

That is irrelevant though.

New appointment to a new position in a new structure.

Isn't it encouraging how many people have made their mind ip based on complete irrelevance?

What matters is that GLS thought he was the most appropriate person for the job.

If it works out... brilliant.

If not, I don't see GLS as being the kind of person to shy away from making difficult decisions.

3 hours ago, pod said:
5 hours ago, TopCat said:

Kearny is the manager and the board have absolutely no faith that he is up to it. Note none of our managers before needed a technical director... and Gus is there to be that and will step into the breach if things go tits up.

Ye, so let's offer him a 3 year deal, uproot his family, let him resign his full time job :unsure:.When we could have just as easily offered the job to Gus no matter what the supporters thought, because most will have made that assumption in any case.     

I'm not to sure TC is capable of appreciating the suBtlety of your statement Pod   B)

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Didn't he have a decent record with us? 

He also had a decent record with Queen's Park.

Took them to a promotion, got them quite close to the playoffs for the Championship the season before last as well.

QP are always a side who will rise and fall between Leagues 1 and 2. That's the pitfall of being amateur in professional league.

Why do some fans not just realise that the club is on the up. We have gone the same route as many successful teams and hired technical support for the manager. Let the manager manage the team let the manager train the team but have someone else do all the other stuff. I personally think that the club have went with someone they believe will be loyal to the club and after all the crap reported by Chris Sutton and the press we now need stability which I believe in the new manager and team we have. Friday night proved we are hopefully heading in the right direction. Welcome back Gus 

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:
2 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Utter garbage

Well you explain any other motive for bringing back a mate who has done nothing in the last 4 years, has no experience in the new manufactured role and only bored the tits of the support before leaving us.

Justification?   Simple!   Done it to pis* you off :P it worked 

Two very different situations Lex.
OK has 7 years of management experience. Regardless of part time or full time, that's 7 more years of experience (PT or FT) than Cathro had when he took the Hearts role on. He may be inexperienced at FT level, but he's certainly not an inexperienced manager. Not by a long shot.
Cathro also came under a LOT of intense scrutiny off the bat as he was very much a 'do what the stats on my laptop say' type of manager and wasn't renowned for his adaptability and this ultimately cost him. He didn't really have the people skills that Kearney seem's to be getting talked up on.

Will it work out for Kearney? Who knows? It might, it might not. The comparisons to Cathro though are tenuous at best.
Not just that, but Gus is being brought in as Technical Director and not as Director of Football. Quite different roles according to this link

https://www.quora.com/What-does-a-technical-or-sporting-director-at-a-football-club-do

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:
2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

We've just hired a new manager ffs. If that was really the case then we wouldn't have bothered with Oran.

Let me explain where I'm coming from.

We all know how close Scott and MacPherson are. he's openly admitted the friendship.

IF he had appointed him as manager there would have been, rightly so, a meltdown. He's failed miserably , both at the tail end of his Buddies' career and since.

There is no way he would have been accepted. the next best thing is to create a post, which it's been stated, WILL cross over to the playing side of things. How much is yet to be discovered but it WILL entail recruitment. Given they claim it's to do with continuity the inference is that he will have more of a say than the manager in that process

At the very least this means that Kearney  will have to make the proverbial silk purse out of MacPherson's sow's ear.

This appointment could actually make Oran think again about his position. if tat happens who do you think will be best placed to slide in like a Tommy Craig?

I wonder; do you have silver paper covering all of the windows in your house  .........Just in case? they might just REALLY be after you!!  :P