Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:
2 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

He failed at what with us ? League championship title Bells cup win, semi finals of the Scottish cup league cup final and kept the club in the top flight, and this after years in the wilderness of doing sweet f**k all. 

But you carry on with your agenda against the man if it makes you happy. 

We were struggling to stay in the Premier league towards the end of his time. The football was dire and the supporters were drifting away to the cinema. I think that counts as a fail. That's why he was replaced.

I think you need to stop sitting on the fence and just come out and say that you don't like Gus?  :P

2 hours ago, TopCat said:
5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
Two very different situations Lex.
OK has 7 years of management experience. Regardless of part time or full time, that's 7 more years of experience (PT or FT) than Cathro had when he took the Hearts role on. He may be inexperienced at FT level, but he's certainly not an inexperienced manager. Not by a long shot.
Cathro also came under a LOT of intense scrutiny off the bat as he was very much a 'do what the stats on my laptop say' type of manager and wasn't renowned for his adaptability and this ultimately cost him. He didn't really have the people skills that Kearney seem's to be getting talked up on.

Will it work out for Kearney? Who knows? It might, it might not. The comparisons to Cathro though are tenuous at best.

Could certainly argue that Cathro was much more qualified for management at this level than Kearney is. Cathro had been employed by some huge clubs around Europe and worked under some great managers and coached some of the best players in the world.

Oran has never been employed by any full time club in any capacity ever. He’s very much learning on the job. The Northern Irish league doesn’t strike me as very relevant experience.

That’s why we’ve got Gus, he’s got the relevant experience. If Jack Ross or Alan Stubbs were still here Gus wouldn’t be.

Regardless of that comparison, what is for certain is that Gus now has a significant say on the running of this football club.

This isn’t your old retired manager slowing down and going upstairs like Alex Smith at Falkirk or Alex Ferguson at United.

Gus is a young man in his 40’s and knowing what he’s like he’ll be straight in at the coalface tomorrow morning making decisions. He wouldn’t have taken this job to wallow in the background.

What do you think he will be doing? I imagine he will have the final say in recruitment at the very least. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was picking the team aswell.

You do realise that too much catnip is bad for you?  makes one delusional!  :P

Could certainly argue that Cathro was much more qualified for management at this level than Kearney is. Cathro had been employed by some huge clubs around Europe and worked under some great managers and coached some of the best players in the world.

Oran has never been employed by any full time club in any capacity ever. He’s very much learning on the job. The Northern Irish league doesn’t strike me as very relevant experience.

That’s why we’ve got Gus, he’s got the relevant experience. If Jack Ross or Alan Stubbs were still here Gus wouldn’t be.

Regardless of that comparison, what is for certain is that Gus now has a significant say on the running of this football club.

This isn’t your old retired manager slowing down and going upstairs like Alex Smith at Falkirk or Alex Ferguson at United.

Gus is a young man in his 40’s and knowing what he’s like he’ll be straight in at the coalface tomorrow morning making decisions. He wouldn’t have taken this job to wallow in the background.

What do you think he will be doing? I imagine he will have the final say in recruitment at the very least. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was picking the team aswell.

Sensible posting like this shall not be tolerated. [emoji106]

:lol:Having my usual laugh here reading posts when something new happens at St Mirren...........

Thank God Oran started with a point against the current Champions I can only imagine these posts had any negative result happened:rolleyes: (in truth most expected nothing less)

So to judge harshly the appointment of Gus" who I sincerely believe Oran had some say in the final appointment" before he's even back baffles me "actually no this is oor forum pages so it doesn't baffle me lol:double"

Anyway to my point of unification....................Lets agree to put our points of differences to the side and get behind Oran and the team that "HE" will put on the pitch and wish him and his coaching and management team every success.

Have lived and breathed this club for many years and have known more downs that ups

All I can say is get used to it.... it's who we are... but I've always believed we are and have been capable of more that dream has never faded

Might be presumptive but I really think we've turned a corner ...I Think we will Be OK :thumbs2

7 hours ago, jaybee said:

I wonder; do you have silver paper covering all of the windows in your house  .........Just in case? they might just REALLY be after you!!  :P

7 hours ago, jaybee said:

I think you need to stop sitting on the fence and just come out and say that you don't like Gus?  :P

6 hours ago, jaybee said:

You do realise that too much catnip is bad for you?  makes one delusional!  :P

Great, constructive counter arguing there Jaybee. . I can see why you win debates hands down.

Now. Can you let me know why you think a person with NO relevant qualifications, an apparent contempt for youth development , an ignorance of the benefits of clubs looking after players nutrition and with a complete lack of success in the last 5 or so years is so good for a role with, as far as we are led to believe, such far reaching responsibilities . This is also  a man who, when with us, showed such petulance and treated the support with so much disdain. Someone mentioned "dinosaur". I think that would almost be kind to wee angry.

Edited by stlucifer

9 hours ago, Mykey said:

For him to come back in any capacity beyond cleaner is making me queesy, 

9 hours ago, munoz said:

As long as he's no where near the 1st team , the youth academy or future recruitment, then I don't have a problem. 

So it is the cleaning job he's got.   :rolleyes:

Of course he’s supportive. Oran mentioned the technical director in his first interview before Gus was ever mentioned.

He’d have been told at the interview that he’s getting the job on the basis that the club was going to appoint a technical director over his head. He agreed and that’s why he and Gus is here.

I thought his appointment was utterly bizarre at the time and I said so on here. I completely get it now.

He was appointed cause he agreed to Gus coming, that’s his USP. No experienced manager would sign up to an ex manager being appointed over their head at the same time as them. Oran did.

Reread my post. Seems you are saying he’s a yes man and was not capable of objecting or stepping away. He doesn’t come across that way to me is what I said.

16 minutes ago, elvis said:

My Question is why did Gordon Scott go to the bother of appointing Gus when all he had to do was appoint one of the f**kING EXPERTS and KNOW ALLS. on here. 

Given your 7-0 defeat score prediction for the Celtic game,  did you distance yourself from the job?

Reflecting a bit more on this, and in the wake of the Stubbs clusterf**k, I can just about see the value of having someone who has broad oversight of club affairs on a consistent basis, and can report back any issues as and when they arise. Certainly before things go sour to the extent they did under the previous management set-up.

I would have assumed that is one of the roles of the CEO, but perhaps he (Tony) has other responsibilities that mean it is difficult to be constantly tuned in to general day-to-day affairs at the club.

Gus is a level headed guy, and is actually a pretty decent human being when you talk to him. He just might be suited to this oversight type of role, and possibly fancies a new challenge without having to be under the spotlight as a team manager is in this division.

Perhaps it is time to get back to supporting our club without feeling the need to question and scrutinise every decision that is made by the people who are charged with this responsibility. It is easy to throw your tuppence worth in from the sidelines, but not always particularly constructive.

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

Of course he’s supportive. Oran mentioned the technical director in his first interview before Gus was ever mentioned.

He’d have been told at the interview that he’s getting the job on the basis that the club was going to appoint a technical director over his head. He agreed and that’s why he and Gus is here.

I thought his appointment was utterly bizarre at the time and I said so on here. I completely get it now.

He was appointed cause he agreed to Gus coming, that’s his USP. No experienced manager would sign up to an ex manager being appointed over their head at the same time as them. Oran did.

Oran agreed to Gus? Hmm why did he publicly state he wanted Jimmy Nicholl then? You wanna airbrush that one out?

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Oran agreed to Gus? Hmm why did he publicly state he wanted Jimmy Nicholl then? You wanna airbrush that one out?

No he never. At least I haven't read that anywhere I know he spoke to him about Scottish football but I have not seen or read anywhere he said he wanted him as his T. D. 

Clubs seem to change managers every two years or so these days (there's a guy who keeps a thread on P&B which monitors this and currently only 13/42 SPFL managers have more than 2 years tenure) so if it avoids total squad rebuilds then it's a position that should pay for itself. It would certainly have been useful this summer when we spent over a month in limbo.

My worries are the terms MacPerson is getting - what length of contract should he get? I think it should be 5 years - longer than a typical manager's deal but not permanent. Would a contract with no fixed term make him unsackable or would he effectively be on 90 days notice like me? We tend to run with a managerial team of 3 in the top flight and 2 when we get relegated, so if we decide the experiment hasn't worked it might be a cheap get out.

Anyway fingers crossed as we move into this brave new world that has such people in't. 

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Clubs seem to change managers every two years or so these days (there's a guy who keeps a thread on P&B which monitors this and currently only 13/42 SPFL managers have more than 2 years tenure) so if it avoids total squad rebuilds then it's a position that should pay for itself. It would certainly have been useful this summer when we spent over a month in limbo.

My worries are the terms MacPerson is getting - what length of contract should he get? I think it should be 5 years - longer than a typical manager's deal but not permanent. Would a contract with no fixed term make him unsackable or would he effectively be on 90 days notice like me? We tend to run with a managerial team of 3 in the top flight and 2 when we get relegated, so if we decide the experiment hasn't worked it might be a cheap get out.

Anyway fingers crossed as we move into this brave new world that has such people in't. 

Five f**king years...?

and if we are relegated this season, or Gus is still Gus..? Five f**king years....

Great, constructive counter arguing there Jaybee. . I can see why you win debates hands down.
Now. Can you let me know why you think a person with NO relevant qualifications, an apparent contempt for youth development , an ignorance of the benefits of clubs looking after players nutrition and with a complete lack of success in the last 5 or so years is so good for a role with, as far as we are led to believe, such far reaching responsibilities . This is also  a man who, when with us, showed such petulance and treated the support with so much disdain. Someone mentioned "dinosaur". I think that would almost be kind to wee angry.

Verge of tears [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]