Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's a long term strategy so yeah five years. 

I already pointed out the possibility of us being top heavy in terms of managers should we be relegated.

Totally redundant post!

So why would you give him five years? It makes no sense to have a long term strategy that gets ditched come May. 

The board have gone aginst the managers wishes to bring in someone they know is a highly divisive figure at SMFC. Could they have made it any more likely to bomb? I really dont get how stupid they could be to look to setting up a long term strategy, only to bring in an individual that even the manager doesn't want.

Oran's preference Jimmy Nicholl's experience, success, achievements and current standing in the game piss all over Gus. The only benchmark he appears to have fallen short of on the non existent skill set matrix, that wasn't part of the non existent detailed recruitment strategy is he's not the chairman's mate!

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Paper talk. You should know by now 99%  of any reporting is made up shite to suit them Unless you are in the know you don't have any more of a clue than the rest of us. 

Edited by elvis

No issue with Gus McPherson coming back to the club in Technical Director. I think its a good move and will work.

Explains to me why McIntyre wasn't considered second time round for the job. I suspect GLS wanted McPherson back at the club and linking up with Kearney was the way to achive it.

I suspect GLS also see's it as a bit of an insurance policy should Kearney not work. 

31 minutes ago, elvis said:

It says he has spoken to him but doesn't say any where that it was about becoming T. D. 

Ignore Pitiful - he makes things up constantly. This is just the latest in a long line of things where makes an assumption and sticks to it, regardless of the facts.

44 minutes ago, elvis said:

Paper talk. You should know by now 99%  of any reporting is made up shite to suit them Unless you are in the know you don't have any more of a clue than the rest of us. 

But you insist Oran never wanted Nicholl, but have absolutely nothing to back that up! 

One of us looks a bit silly here, unable to back up their position in anyway.... that'll be you.

18 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So why would you give him five years? It makes no sense to have a long term strategy that gets ditched come May. 

The board have gone aginst the managers wishes to bring in someone they know is a highly divisive figure at SMFC. Could they have made it any more likely to bomb? I really dont get how stupid they could be to look to setting up a long term strategy, only to bring in an individual that even the manager doesn't want.

Oran's preference Jimmy Nicholl's experience, success, achievements and current standing in the game piss all over Gus. The only benchmark he appears to have fallen short of on the non existent skill set matrix, that wasn't part of the non existent detailed recruitment strategy is he's not the chairman's mate!

It's a long term strategy with a potential downside if we get relegated, IMO it would make perfect sense to have a get out clause if GLS feels it isn't working. 

As for the rest of your post IMO it's irrelevant who got the position but I'd like to make a few points , firstly the newspaper article is ambiguous I don't see a clear indication that OK wanted Nicholl as TD, secondly Nicholl's last successful managerial spell was his first with Raith in the last millennium, third his recent career includes a few appointments as assistant to old colleagues - there's a reason he was available. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's a long term strategy with a potential downside if we get relegated, IMO it would make perfect sense to have a get out clause if GLS feels it isn't working. 

As for the rest of your post IMO it's irrelevant who got the position but I'd like to make a few points , firstly the newspaper article is ambiguous I don't see a clear indication that OK wanted Nicholl as TD, secondly Nicholl's last successful managerial spell was his first with Raith in the last millennium, third his recent career includes a few appointments as assistant to old colleagues - there's a reason he was available. :rolleyes:

Nicholl was asst at Rangers and works with his national side. Gus on the other hand got his team relegated to the basement of Scottish football. 

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Cant you read?

can you evidence that it isnt the case? With anything... anything at all?

I can read, as must be obvious to you!

"Former Rangers number two Jimmy Nicholl had been linked, Kearney even confirming he had spoken to his fellow Northern Irishman."

This direct quote from the Belfast Telegraph does not state that he had spoken to Nicholl about the technical director's post. You obviously interpret it in this way. I don't.

Edited by smcc

7 minutes ago, smcc said:

I can read, as must be obvious to you!

"Former Rangers number two Jimmy Nicholl had been linked, Kearney even confirming he had spoken to his fellow Northern Irishman."

This direct quote from the Belfast Telegraph does not state that he had spoken to Nicholl about the technical director's post. You obviously interpret it in this way I don't.

That's exactly what I said to him he lives in his own wee world of make believe. 

Having a good laugh at the conspiracy theorists falling all over the place because the Belfast Telegraph is making them look sillier than normal. If that's possible.

cant wait to hear their reasons why, given all their close connection with Oran, Nicholl and Irish football, have The Belfast Telegraph chosen to 'invent' that Oran wanted Nicholl for the role, instead of numerous other stories that would have been eaier to invent, and sell?

c'mon chaps geeza chuckle.

Here mibbaes this will help you, you can get onto the Belfast Telegraph and chin them about making it up.. ha, ha.. "Kearney, whose existing backroom team will remain at Coleraine, has made contact with Northern Ireland assistant and former Rangers number two Jimmy Nicholl over joining him at the Paisley club."

ok, ok i'll help you out a bit more.... this is aquote from the BBC, "

However, he says has "touched base" with Shiels' former assistant, Jimmy Nicholl, who is currently the Northern Ireland number two.

"I've had a lot of good chats with Jimmy and it's something that could be possibly on the radar," Kearney said."

that scurrilous lot at the Beeb in cahoots with the Belfast Telegraph and all, to be sure... arf, arf, arf.....

Edited by Lord Pityme

13 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Having a good laugh at the conspiracy theorists falling all over the place because the Belfast Telegraph is making them look sillier than normal. If that's possible.

cant wait to hear their reasons why, given all their close connection with Oran, Nicholl and Irish football, have The Belfast Telegraph chosen to 'invent' that Oran wanted Nicholl for the role, instead of numerous other stories that would have been eaier to invent, and sell?

Here mibbaes this will help you, you can get onto the Belfast Telegraph and chin them about making it up.. ha, ha.. "Kearney, whose existing backroom team will remain at Coleraine, has made contact with Northern Ireland assistant and former Rangers number two Jimmy Nicholl over joining him at the Paisley club."

However, he says has "touched base" with Shiels' former assistant, Jimmy Nicholl, who is currently the Northern Ireland number two.

"I've had a lot of good chats with Jimmy and it's something that could be possibly on the radar," Kearney said."

that scurrilous lot at the Beeb in cahoots with the Belfast Telegraph and all, to be sure... arf, arf, arf.....

LPM- Simple question

Do you have a point on here, I mean as a poster..................

Gus has been appointed. Get behind him, and we move on

14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

LPM- Simple question

Do you have a point on here, I mean as a poster..................

Gus has been appointed. Get behind him, and we move on

Yeah... when the conflict comes, (and it will because that is Gus's style, and Oran is the only person sitting below him in organisation structure). It will end in tears, and possibly us losing a promising manager early doors, and being left with Smug Gus as the apparent saviour. That possibility, after just getting out of the self harm employing Stubbs brought fills me with dread.

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:
12 hours ago, jaybee said:

I wonder; do you have silver paper covering all of the windows in your house  .........Just in case? they might just REALLY be after you!!  :P

12 hours ago, jaybee said:

I think you need to stop sitting on the fence and just come out and say that you don't like Gus?  :P

11 hours ago, jaybee said:

You do realise that too much catnip is bad for you?  makes one delusional!  :P

Great, constructive counter arguing there Jaybee. . I can see why you win debates hands down.

Now. Can you let me know why you think a person with NO relevant qualifications, an apparent contempt for youth development , an ignorance of the benefits of clubs looking after players nutrition and with a complete lack of success in the last 5 or so years is so good for a role with, as far as we are led to believe, such far reaching responsibilities . This is also  a man who, when with us, showed such petulance and treated the support with so much disdain. Someone mentioned "dinosaur". I think that would almost be kind to wee angry.

Edited 4 hours ago by stlucifer

I do appreciate what you and others like you are saying, I get where you are coming from, my choice is to respond in a less severe and perhaps slightly more irreverent manner; because I do not like; nor appreciate the level of vitriolic abuse that is aimed at an ex manager who whether or not we like his  methods of working or of getting the team to play, did a pretty good job at a time in the clubs history where we / he had very little to work with given the clubs financial situation at the time (and I was living in Paisley then and was a regular at love street). 

All your points had relevance at that time however No relevant qualifications!  for what?  Surely GS will decide exactly what Gus's role will be and since he is in effect the employer; then he decides what experience is relevant, NOT you my friend.

Contempt for youth development:  I would have to agree partially with that in an historical sense, but more recently with QP the signs are that he has been utilising youth in greater numbers and in any case who is to say any element of youth development will fall within his remit in this new post?

An ignorance of the benefits of clubs looking after players nutrition: I would think not particularly relevant here as I am sure Gus is not here to fulfill THAT role!

A complete lack of success in the last 5 or so years:  this is irrelevant to the position he now holds.

This is also  a man who, when with us, showed such petulance and treated the support with so much disdain:  This is of course from your and some other peoples perspective and if you owned the club and controlled it then YOU could choose what to do .... NEWS FLASH!!!!!!   YOU DON'T, GS does and his take on Gus is shall we just accept that it is different than yours?

I am more than capable of providing reasoned and justifiable arguments to validate which ever position I support, the reason I treat some  posts with contempt is that that is all they deserve as they are not rational; but emotional.

Hope this clears this up for you B)

49 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

And still no mention of the T. D role its about time you gave it a rest mate.