Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

Never cease to be amazed how the undeserving manage to get jobs way beyond their capabilities. My abiding memory of this chap is him making it into the record books by becoming the manager who was able to lose a cup final in extra time despite having a 2 man advantage. Should have been dismissed immediately but clung on due to having no doubt friends in high places.  And no, I didn't forget the next match against Celtic which I, like the majority of the support, missed due to being severely irate. So, no welcome back from the frog.

Never mind the Celtic game you claim not to forget he got us in that positing to lose a final to 10 men and for a man that got a job way above his capabilities you seem to forget where we were before he took over.

Gus never once underachieved with us as manager he was a successful st Mirren manager that’s a fact.

If you wish to remember him for 1 game over all the rest then what does that say about you.

From what I recall at the time, there was no great clamour for Gus to be fired at any point, not even after the cup final, and when he was eventually sacked it was viewed as a bit of a surprise. His time with us was overall a success, took over when we were struggling, built a team to take us up and kept us there, and while there were some close relegation calls, in those battles when we needed a result, we always got it. 

A lot of revisionism going on here. As long as he and OK can have a good working relationship, I think this can be positive for the club.

5 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Never mind the Celtic game you claim not to forget he got us in that positing to lose a final to 10 men and for a man that got a job way above his capabilities you seem to forget where we were before he took over.

Gus never once underachieved with us as manager he was a successful st Mirren manager that’s a fact.

If you wish to remember him for 1 game over all the rest then what does that say about you.

I think he's best notorious for is the product we witnessed on the park. The last couple of years was soul destroying.

24 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I think he's best notorious for is the product we witnessed on the park. The last couple of years was soul destroying.

In those last 2 seasons, we finished in our highest league position in a generation. Reached our first League Cup Final in 2 generations, our first Scottish Cup Semi Final in a generation and our biggest league win over Celtic in over 100 years.

Soul destroying! :lol:

Edited by Wendy Saintss

32 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I don’t see why Gus seems to shoulder all the blame for losing to 9 men in that cup final. After all he wisnae on the pitch.

He shoulders blame for not getting onto that touchline to scream at them to stroke it about, use the two man advantage, and take the chunts into extra time and grind them into the dirt. Walter Smith did the management stuff though, changed his team, and actually won the fcuking thing in 90 mins with 9 men. This isn’t hindsight, at Hampden that day, just about everyone around me was yelling the same thing, imploring St Mirren to basically calm the fcuk down. Sadly, as a collective, we shat our pants.

Anyway, we sorted it in 2013. We move on. Hope Gus is a success in his new role. I suppose the fruits of his labour will reveal themselves in better signings, better, erm, management of technical things.

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

In those last 2 seasons, we finished in our highest league position in a generation. Reached our first League Cup Final in 2 generations, our first Scottish Cup Semi Final in a generation and our biggest league win over Celtic in over 100 years.

Soul destroying! :lol:

The football was still soul destroying. It was uninspiring and banal. Remind how long we went without a home league win under wee angry. Danny Lennon was seen as a breath of fresh air when he walked into the job FFS.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, and look where that got us. :lol:

Highest position in the premier league in years and a cup final we actually won. Yep. 

ETA. I looked. But that's for  another thread.

Perhaps when we're replacing our Technical Director in a fortnight

Can but hope.

Edited by stlucifer

56 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Oran welcoming message for Gus https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45593963

Still have some reservations about how this is going to work out but we will just have to wait and see.

Oran seems happy but his comment about having difficulty delegating raises a slight flag.

It would help us if we knew the exact jobs each were responsible for. What I have seen so far sounds very waffly to me.

Don't want to be overly negative at this stage though as it's early doors.

Edited by oaksoft

36 minutes ago, Hendo said:

From what I recall at the time, there was no great clamour for Gus to be fired at any point, not even after the cup final, and when he was eventually sacked it was viewed as a bit of a surprise. His time with us was overall a success, took over when we were struggling, built a team to take us up and kept us there, and while there were some close relegation calls, in those battles when we needed a result, we always got it. 

A lot of revisionism going on here. As long as he and OK can have a good working relationship, I think this can be positive for the club.

The threads from 2009/10 and earlier have been purged and admittedly BAWA comprises an unhinged minority of Saints fans but I remember differently. In fact the first "Gus must go" posts started to appear in late 2006 - our first season back in the top flight. The seethe during the Gretna season, in particular, was constant with many people forgetting afterwards that we finished above Kilmarnock too! 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

The football was still soul destroying. It was uninspiring and banal. Remind how long we went without a home league win under wee angry. Danny Lennon was seen as a breath of fresh air when he walked into the job FFS.

When Gus took charge we were in our third consecutive battle against relegation to the third tier. THAT was soul destroying, uninspiring and banal.

Compared with the previous 25 years, Gus Macpherson was a breath of fresh air.

FFS.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

There was a lot of dislike towards Gus on here back then. I posted on here under a different account in those days and gave up on BAWA as I had had enough of reading the constant abuse of the man who had taken us from relegation battles in the Championship to five straight years in the top flight. Stuck to P+B after that until I moved down south, never returned to P+B since  then as it was more enjoyable when I could attend games.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

He shoulders blame for not getting onto that touchline to scream at them to stroke it about, use the two man advantage, and take the chunts into extra time and grind them into the dirt. Walter Smith did the management stuff though, changed his team, and actually won the fcuking thing in 90 mins with 9 men. This isn’t hindsight, at Hampden that day, just about everyone around me was yelling the same thing, imploring St Mirren to basically calm the fcuk down. Sadly, as a collective, we shat our pants.

In fairness Walter Smith was the last manager in Scottish football you'd have wanted in that opposition dugout when the stakes were up against Rangers FC. He always got the best out of average teams, with that brilliant UEFA Cup run in 2008 and of course leading Scotland to victory v the French at Hampden. There wouldn't have been a better manager at the time in Scotland who could still get what was needed from them, albeit helped by our side shitting their pants when the tide turned to our favour.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

In reality, our mistake was that we DID calm things down.

We'd been punting the ball long all afternoon and pressing them then all of a sudden starting trying to keep possession when they went down to 9 men.

This isn't just hindsight, I was yelling "get it up the fcuking park" for the last 20 mins. But we never did.

We got hit on the break by Kenny Miller & Steven Naismith, 2 of the best Scotland forwards in the past generation.

No shatting of pants.

Edited by Wendy Saintss

43 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

When Gus took charge we were in our third consecutive battle against relegation to the third tier. THAT was soul destroying, uninspiring and banal.

Compared with the previous 25 years, Gus Macpherson was a breath of fresh air.

FFS.

Aye right. I'm not alone in condemning MacPherson during the latter part of his tenure. We all appreciate where we were when he took the reigns but it doesn't excuse what we were fed towards the end. And we haven't even touched on what a good job he did at QotS.

I find the current frenzy about the return of McPherson amusing, if unsurprising.

Our new manager was hailed, prematurely, by many as the new messiah yet all of a sudden seems to be a weak willed individual who will allow Gus to pull his strings.

I'm sure, when results go against us, Gus will be blamed by many as a divisive influence.

I'm quite happy the new manager will deal with things his way and Gus will show his worth, behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Still have some reservations about how this is going to work out but we will just have to wait and see.

Oran seems happy but his comment about having difficulty delegating raises a slight flag.

It would help us if we knew the exact jobs each were responsible for. What I have seen so far sounds very waffly to me.

Don't want to be overly negative at this stage though as it's early doors.

I thought the delegating thing was more him not being used to having folk to delegate to as he'd had to do it all himself before, rather than him being reluctant to let folk get on with things.