Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

The deadco game was the absolute worst but to claim that Gus was a failure in his entire tenure is a spectacular bit of revisionism and massively wrong. 

Also conveniently forgotten that Gus only shouldered part of the blame that day. The other villains of the piece were those involved in the bonus row that undoubtedly affected us. The two ringleaders? John Potter and Jack Ross. 

Gus' overall contribution to us was undoubtedly a positive one. I hope his second spell with the club under OK is equally as productive and we spend several years at the top level, reaching cup semis and finals again. 

2008-09. 11th in the premier league ON GOAL DIFFERENCE to 12th.
2009-10. 10th. WITH EVEN LESS POINTS THAN THE PREVIOUS CAMPAIGN.
If you thought the Celtic result was fully down to Gus' tactical genius I think you might be 5p short of the pound.
Not mine but the Doonhamer fans were happy to see the back of him.

You do realise that the 10th and 11th positions you mention were the highest we’d achieved in a generation!

Not sure of the relevance of how many points it was done by?

Ah, so when we won it was nothing to do with Gus but when we lost it was all his fault! [emoji1]

We hadn’t beaten the OF in a generation before Gus arrived. He managed it 3 times, including our biggest league win over Celtic in a century!

Read it and weep!

6 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Awfy sensitive over a silly pseudonym, are you not?

Why so touchy, oh great force of darkness? emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Given my query was to another pseudonym, Have you got more than one?

And I am merely curious as to WHY DougieJamie would stoop to attempted insults to gain points as I have NEVER done so with him. I think it was a given that I have no time for MacPherson returning in any role but even more so because I don't see what qualifies him for the role except for the fact he's the chairman's pal. My suspicion is, and it has , at least in part, been confirmed by the sudden involvement of a person supposedly with nothing to do with the day to day running of team matters on the training field.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The deadco game was the absolute worst but to claim that Gus was a failure in his entire tenure is a spectacular bit of revisionism and massively wrong. 

Also conveniently forgotten that Gus only shouldered part of the blame that day. The other villains of the piece were those involved in the bonus row that undoubtedly affected us. The two ringleaders? John Potter and Jack Ross. 

Gus' overall contribution to us was undoubtedly a positive one. I hope his second spell with the club under OK is equally as productive and we spend several years at the top level, reaching cup semis and finals again. 

The bonus row lost us the cup ?  That is a stupid comment  

Here was me thinking we had a real go in that game though to lose to 9 men hurt

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

And I am merely curious as to WHY DougieJamie would stoop to attempted insults to gain points as I have NEVER done so with him. I think it was a given that I have no time for MacPherson returning in any role but even more so because I don't see what qualifies him for the role except for the fact he's the chairman's pal. My suspicion is, and it has , at least in part, been confirmed by the sudden involvement of a person supposedly with nothing to do with the day to day running of team matters on the training field.

I would blame £30,000 a week big Mark.

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

You do realise that the 10th and 11th positions you mention were the highest we’d achieved in a generation!

Ah, so when we won it was nothing to do with Gus but when we lost it was all his fault! emoji1.png

We hadn’t beaten the OF in a generation before Gus arrived. He managed it 3 times, including our biggest league win over Celtic in a century!

Read it and weep!

FFS. He couldn't have done worse in the 2008-09 season without  being relegated. A couple of goals for or against was the difference.  And the following season we couldn't even muster the same points total. Are you really telling me you were enjoying that football?

You know fine well Mowbray was a dead man walking and the players knew it, I acknowledge fully the fantastic achievements of MacPherson but it doesn't blind me from seeing what happened latterly. I even accept that he had a hand in the Celtic result but he was assisted massively by Mowbray's lack of tactics and their players effectively downing tools.

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The bonus row lost us the cup ?  That is a stupid comment  

Here was me thinking we had a real go in that game though to lose to 9 men hurt

You're correct, that is a stupid comment and something you've strangely put into my mouth without me saying it.

I  never said it lost us the cup. I said it undoubtedly contributed and affected us. 

You honestly don't think that the rather public infighting and arguing in the run up to that cup final hurt us in that build up and performance? I never said it solely lost us the cup but the bad feeling in the dressing room in the build up certainly drew focus out and didn't in any way help us. 

We only had a go at 11 vs 11. We retreated into our shells as soon as the deadco lost Thomson and even more so when Wilson went. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You're correct, that is a stupid comment. I also never said it lost us the cup. I said it undoubtedly contributed and affected us. 

You honestly don't think that the rather public infighting and arguing in the run up to that cup final hurt us in that build up and performance? I never said it solely lost us the cup but the bad feeling in the dressing room in the build up certainly drew focus out and didn't in any way help us. 

We only had a go at 11 vs 11. We retreated into our shells as soon as the deadco lost Thomson and even more so when Wilson went. 

Sorry for me it had nothing to do with the bonus,

Agree it was not helpful to the build up.

You know fine well Mowbray was a dead man walking and the players knew it, I acknowledge fully the fantastic achievements of MacPherson but it doesn't blind me from seeing what happened latterly. I even accept that he had a hand in the Celtic result but he was assisted massively by Mowbray's lack of tactics and their players effectively downing tools.

Agreed.

His tactics in that cup final should have changed after the red cards.

I strongly believe and have always said, we only beat Celtic that night as we were playing a team that wanted their manager sacked.

4 hours ago, jaybee said:

So we have 11 guys on the park, 2 of the opposition having already been sent off (nice referee) one little dumpy guy in the dug-out who by the laws of the game isn't allowed to touch the ball AND YET it's all his blo*dy fault!  yer aving a larf aint ya,. just what on earth can he do about it  that 11 players can't?  B)

I did say he should take the brunt of the responsibility. I didn’t say it was all his fault. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Wow. Joking apart, that actually sounds horrendous.

I don't think I have ever allowed a result to have that effect on me.

Can't imagine dumping a girlfriend over any result either, even Hammarby and that was the worst I have ever felt after a game.

I remember being seriously frustrated after that cup final but within an hour I had already moved on. 

The day after IndyRef was a different beast altogether and I was pretty much incapable of talking with most people that day. If anyone had made a jibe I might have snapped.

I know it’s ridiculous isn’t it.  I’ve grown up a wee bit since though. Oh and I obvs went crawling back to my girlfriend the day after!:lol:

Incidentally, the day after indyref is probably the worst I’ve felt after any single event in my entire life.  I made a right arse of myself driving into work the next day. Stuck in traffic and I just burst into tears. Folk walking past the car looking at me wondering what the feck was going on.  I know. Ridiculous eh. 

I vowed never to support Scotland at anything ever again because we weren’t worthy of having a national team :lol:. Especially those no voting rugby bastards! :lol:. Of course that never lasted coz I cannae help myself, but the pain of that result lasted for months for me and to a certain extent does to this day. 

47 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Ah, so when we won it was nothing to do with Gus but when we lost it was all his fault! emoji1.png

Read it and weep!

How long do you consider a generation ? It's generally accepted between 25/30 years, 

From our win against Deadco in 91 to the next one in 08 is 17 years yet we only played in the same league for 4 seasons 

between this time, I'd hardly define that as a generation..:lol:

34 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know it’s ridiculous isn’t it.  I’ve grown up a wee bit since though. Oh and I obvs went crawling back to my girlfriend the day after!:lol:

Incidentally, the day after indyref is probably the worst I’ve felt after any single event in my entire life.  I made a right arse of myself driving into work the next day. Stuck in traffic and I just burst into tears. Folk walking past the car looking at me wondering what the feck was going on.  I know. Ridiculous eh. 

I vowed never to support Scotland at anything ever again because we weren’t worthy of having a national team :lol:. Especially those no voting rugby bastards! :lol:. Of course that never lasted coz I cannae help myself, but the pain of that result lasted for months for me and to a certain extent does to this day. 

I was driving to a meeting in Stirling on the morning of 19th September 2014, and I had to pull over at Buchlyvie as I was greetin' so hard, so no, not ridiculous. It just shows you were passionate about it. That passion can be harnessed again next time round and we'll be crying with joy. I guarantee it:)

One of the problems I had with Gus was that we didn't seem to be able to get loan players on loan from clubs down south to the same extent as other clubs, particularly Falkirk. Bit ironic that he's returned when the squad has gone to the other extreme!

Has anyone else watched his Buddievision interview? If so, what did you make of it?

I won't lie, it didn't inspire me. There was also a slightly awkward point where he referred to the new manager's approach to training and preparing the squad as "simplistic". I'm sure he didn't intend it to sound a tad derogatory, but this is type of thing that can get picked up on, and if he is to have a fairly senior role at the club, he will need to bear that in mind and take a bit more care over his choice of words and delivery.

He was hardly brimming with enthusiasm, and while that is the Gus we know, it would have been good to have heard a bit more positivity as to why he wanted to return, and what he hoped to achieve. It was all pretty vague and insipid.

All that said, I genuinely hope it works out, and that he is a good fit.

ETA - superficial point perhaps, but he was also wearing that hellish yellow and black training kit. Stick a suit on, FFS, Gus. Awful kit that.

Edited by Drew

13 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

The old firm always have more resources than us, however we occasionally pick up a win or a draw against the two of them.

The ebt stuff is pretty irrelevant to us losing with a 2 man advantage. Even without that, they would still have been able afford a much better squad than us.

I get that.

But when you consider how exceptionally and illegally this particular year's playing field was even more fixed against St Mirren (and all other clubs in the competition), I think it's reasonable to cut Gus some slack.

Also... the EBT stuff should never be irrelevant to anyone who would actually like to watch a fair game of sport or who would not be happy to subsidise a cheating team to do so - cos it was taxpayers who subsidised the cheating.

I guess, living in Jersey, it could be considered irrelevant...  :P

"attempted insults"?
He called you Lucy. Hardly an insult. When I did it it was intended as no more than a lighthearted abbreviation.

I'd imagine he meant it the same way.

Which still leaves me wondering: why so sensitive?