Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

31 pages. Could be a rival to the bedsheet bannergate bollocks thread.

Here’s the news, love him, loathe him, or merely ‘meh’ about him - he’s here. Best to let Kearney, Rice, MacPherson, Scott and Sir Fitzy of ‘tache crack on now.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let’s see how all our puddings get on working together. B)

Edited by pozbaird

40 minutes ago, antrin said:

I get that.

But when you consider how exceptionally and illegally this particular year's playing field was even more fixed against St Mirren (and all other clubs in the competition), I think it's reasonable to cut Gus some slack.

Also... the EBT stuff should never be irrelevant to anyone who would actually like to watch a fair game of sport or who would not be happy to subsidise a cheating team to do so - cos it was taxpayers who subsidised the cheating.

I guess, living in Jersey, it could be considered irrelevant...  :P

Mistaken identity there Antrin. Pretty sure TPAFKATS doesn’t live in Jersey! :P

5 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

"attempted insults"?
He called you Lucy. Hardly an insult. When I did it it was intended as no more than a lighthearted abbreviation.

I'd imagine he meant it the same way.

Which still leaves me wondering: why so sensitive?

Indeed........... Geez............ I am DJ, so Lucy is short for your handle name

Unless your real name is Stlucifer? If it is then I apologise

4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Given my query was to another pseudonym, Have you got more than one?

And I am merely curious as to WHY DougieJamie would stoop to attempted insults to gain points as I have NEVER done so with him. I think it was a given that I have no time for MacPherson returning in any role but even more so because I don't see what qualifies him for the role except for the fact he's the chairman's pal. My suspicion is, and it has , at least in part, been confirmed by the sudden involvement of a person supposedly with nothing to do with the day to day running of team matters on the training field.

Mate , I refer this directly back to you. I merely shorten your handle name not your actual name. Feel free to call me DJ , :P No point scoring actually trying personalize .....

36 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Go on Bud, tell me exactly how you did that ?

Considering Divorcing my wife . so could do some advice just in case the Accies game goes Pete Tong :P

I remember it so vividly. 

I had been seeing this girl for about 3 years at the time. She was an absolute stoater. The H game was the only St. Mirren game I had ever taken her to (and was the last obvs). Don’t know what possessed me really. It was always a terrible idea.

Anyway, the bad 2 minutes happened and the final whistle went. I had just thrown my scarf onto the park (natch) and was busy swearing my head off and in fairness probably being a bit short with her. In my defence though, it was never the time for her to utter the dreaded words “oh FFS it’s only a game”.

Well my top was well and truly blown and I sent her packing with a flea in her ear, telling her I never wanted to see her again.

Went home and sat in the huff for the rest of the night. Woke up in the morning feeling very sheepish and not a little regretful that I’d papped such a beauty.

The phonecall simply had to be made. I crept and crawled like never before, mitigating my behaviour on the fact that it was the worst night of my st. Mirren supporting life and that such behaviour would never be repeated.

Fortunately as I was (and still am) such a handsome stud, she forgave me and all was well again. 

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

31 pages. Could be a rival to the bedsheet bannergate bollocks thread.

Here’s the news, love him, loathe him, or merely ‘meh’ about him - he’s here. Best to let Kearney, Rice, MacPherson, Scott and Sir Fitzy of ‘tache crack on now.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let’s see how all our puddings get on working together. B)

Love rice pudding. :)

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The deadco game was the absolute worst but to claim that Gus was a failure in his entire tenure is a spectacular bit of revisionism and massively wrong. 

Also conveniently forgotten that Gus only shouldered part of the blame that day. The other villains of the piece were those involved in the bonus row that undoubtedly affected us. The two ringleaders? John Potter and Jack Ross. 

Gus' overall contribution to us was undoubtedly a positive one. I hope his second spell with the club under OK is equally as productive and we spend several years at the top level, reaching cup semis and finals again. 

Jack Ross had his worst game for us that day

Him and Carey were dreadful out wide and every cross more or less went out the pitch

We ended going narrow because of this and paid the price

Yes Gus got it wrong once we had the extra men advantage but his tactics beforehand were excellent

That game was easily the worse i have felt after a game the Swedish team one doesn't come close

Regarding youth i think Gus will be happy there's a reserve league again and he will embrace more this time

I had been seeing this girl for about 3 years at the time. She was an absolute stoater. The H game was the only St. Mirren game I had ever taken her to (and was the last obvs). Don’t know what possessed me really. It was always a terrible idea.
Anyway, the bad 2 minutes happened and the final whistle went. I had just thrown my scarf onto the park (natch) and was busy swearing my head off and in fairness probably being a bit short with her. In my defence though, it was never the time for her to utter the dreaded words “oh FFS it’s only a game”.
Well my top was well and truly blown and I sent her packing with a flea in her ear, telling her I never wanted to see her again.
Went home and sat in the huff for the rest of the night. Woke up in the morning feeling very sheepish and not a little regretful that I’d papped such a beauty.
The phonecall simply had to be made. I crept and crawled like never before, mitigating my behaviour on the fact that it was the worst night of my st. Mirren supporting life and that such behaviour would never be repeated.
Fortunately as I was (and still am) such a handsome stud, she forgave me and all was well again. 

I too remember that night vividly. I remember meeting this stoater sitting at the bar all on her lonesome. We got chatting and she told me she’d been at the Hamilton game with her boyfriend and how much of a dick he’d been and that he’d binned her. Long story short, ended up pumpin her that night [emoji87]

5 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I too remember that night vividly. I remember meeting this stoater sitting at the bar all on her lonesome. We got chatting and she told me she’d been at the Hamilton game with her boyfriend and how much of a dick he’d been and that he’d binned her. Long story short, ended up pumpin her that night emoji87.png

I gather you don't know what H is short for

The Gretna match in the Scottish Cup was my worst ever. 

Calmed down around a week later. 

Fecking fuming. 

Not so much with us, but with the whole Gretna cheating scenario. 

We could have won the Treble that Season. 

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

FFS. He couldn't have done worse in the 2008-09 season without  being relegated. A couple of goals for or against was the difference.  And the following season we couldn't even muster the same points total. Are you really telling me you were enjoying that football?

You know fine well Mowbray was a dead man walking and the players knew it, I acknowledge fully the fantastic achievements of MacPherson but it doesn't blind me from seeing what happened latterly. I even accept that he had a hand in the Celtic result but he was assisted massively by Mowbray's lack of tactics and their players effectively downing tools.

Danny Lennon's first season with us was dire and we were saved by an atrocious Accies side. He'd end up being the first St Mirren manager to bring home the League Cup, and built on Gus' work achieving even higher finishes than Gus had managed. Gus was here 7 years, I'm happy to cut him slack on the poorer times because we were in a much better place when he left than when he joined.

You sum up your total and complete bias by quite happily blaming Gus for everything bad, while making any excuse possible for us beating Celtic. Regardless of Celtic struggling under Mowbray, I easily expected a defeat for us. Meanwhile you make it sound like a 4-0 win to us was supposed to happen, the same way I'd expect us to beat Annan or Berwick 4-0 at home.

I gather you don't know what H is short for

Sorry chap, tomorrow’s game on my mind. But trust you to pick the bones of my wee joke.
Yes. That H game, was in Sakhalin at the time, 1am kickoff if I remember correctly Sakhalin time. Watched it with Russian commentary as it was shown live on one of the Russian channels. Only consolation I had was it had been heavy snow all day Sunday so work was cancelled the next day.

10 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

Sorry chap, tomorrow’s game on my mind. But trust you to pick the bones of my wee joke.
Yes. That H game, was in Sakhalin at the time, 1am kickoff if I remember correctly Sakhalin time. Watched it with Russian commentary as it was shown live on one of the Russian channels. Only consolation I had was it had been heavy snow all day Sunday so work was cancelled the next day.

Nope, still not right! :P:lol:

5 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

How long do you consider a generation ? It's generally accepted between 25/30 years, 

From our win against Deadco in 91 to the next one in 08 is 17 years yet we only played in the same league for 4 seasons 

between this time, I'd hardly define that as a generation..:lol:

Where is your evidence that its "generally accepted between 25/30 years"?

Its perfectly feasible for there to be 17 years between a generation in a family!

And the fact that we were only in the same league for 4 years helps make my point for me! Shows how successful Gus was!

1 hour ago, shull said:

The Gretna match in the Scottish Cup was my worst ever. 

Calmed down around a week later. 

Fecking fuming. 

Not so much with us, but with the whole Gretna cheating scenario. 

We could have won the Treble that Season. 

Really, I thought that was the Raith game in the League Cup because I remember that you mentioned that once or twice....a week....for a year.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

I guess, living in Jersey, it could be considered irrelevant...  :P

Come on TPAFKATS, are you going to take this nonsense?

Have you not got an underground hospital that needs finished?

Or, as place famous for flowers..................................

Send him some triffids. 

2 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

Come on TPAFKATS, are you going to take this nonsense?

Have you not got an underground hospital that needs finished?

Or, as place famous for flowers..................................

Send him some triffids. 

I have read later posts.

That twat Antrim has let me down.

6 hours ago, stlucifer said:

FFS. He couldn't have done worse in the 2008-09 season without  being relegated. A couple of goals for or against was the difference.  And the following season we couldn't even muster the same points total. Are you really telling me you were enjoying that football?

You know fine well Mowbray was a dead man walking and the players knew it, I acknowledge fully the fantastic achievements of MacPherson but it doesn't blind me from seeing what happened latterly. I even accept that he had a hand in the Celtic result but he was assisted massively by Mowbray's lack of tactics and their players effectively downing tools.

Deary me! :lol:

The team that finished bottom in 2008-09 did so with a record number of points for a bottom finishing side! It was an incredibly tight season. Indeed, we actually only finished 8 points behind a top 6 spot at the split - the closest we have ever came to reaching the top 6! It was the highest number of points that we have achieved in the top flight for almost 35 years!

The following season, our points total was the third highest we had ever achieved in the top flight for 30 years!

As I've previously stated, we hadn't bettered these league placings for a quarter of a century! We also reached our first League Cup Final for 54 years, our first Scottish Cup Semi Final for 22 years and our biggest league win over Celtic for over 100 years.

We also some notable cup wins in these 2 seasons, beating Celtic, Motherwell (twice - thrashing them 3-0 in one of the ties), Kilmarnock & Hearts. We also managed to take Rangers to a replay in the Scottish Cup and only lost the replay to a late goal at Ibrox.

Compared to the many years of misery I'd suffered watching St. Mirren before Gus arrived and some since he left, then yes, I enjoyed that football.

If you didn't, then there must be precious few seasons where you've enjoyed watching St. Mirren! :lol:

Edited by Wendy Saintss

36 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Really, I thought that was the Raith game in the League Cup because I remember that you mentioned that once or twice....a week....for a year.

Really. 

Raith was scandalous but not the worst. 

Just the most recent. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well thats true, well as you know I am also totally stunning :Dso I have a free pass tomorrow with my lady if I should over react .

In saying that- She was at Livi game and thought I was too hard on Saints and Livi were Lucky !!!!!!

Give me strength !!!!

2 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

I too remember that night vividly. I remember meeting this stoater sitting at the bar all on her lonesome. We got chatting and she told me she’d been at the Hamilton game with her boyfriend and how much of a dick he’d been and that he’d binned her. Long story short, ended up pumpin her that night emoji87.png

And who said Romance was dead :P