Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

• 1 month later...

Didnt the club chairman say "we wouldnt even know Gus was back" as he would be so far in the background?

now he's taking training, making announcements on the politics of Scottish football and appears to have picked Saturdays team and running the whole show???

did Oran chuck it, and no ones telling us, or has Gus been told to takeover? Hands up if you thought this all stank when it was first announced he was coming back?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Didnt the club chairman say "we wouldnt even know Gus was back" as he would be so far in the background?

now he's taking training, making announcements on the politics of Scottish football and appears to have picked Saturdays team and running the whole show???

did Oran chuck it, and no ones telling us, or has Gus been told to takeover? Hands up if you thought this all stank when it was first announced he was coming back?

FFS. Oran went to a family funeral back home. It’s been widely mentioned in the press.

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Well he appeared at the presser, talked tactics and team. Maybe he's just making the tea?

Is this what you mean? I confess that I am struggling to see where Gus suggests that he is responsible for for tactics and team selection.

"GUS MacPHERSON has plenty of experience to offer St Mirren manager Oran Kearney when it comes to fighting relegation battles. MacPherson led the Paisley side to promotion from the old first division in 2006 then spent the next four seasons scrapping to stay in the top division. Year after year they managed to beat the drop.

MacPherson is now back at Saints after an eight-year absence in the role of technical director. As well as scouting and recruiting players, his remit involves offering support and guidance to Kearney who similarly finds himself in charge of a St Mirren side languishing at the wrong end of the table.

MacPherson is happy to play the role of mentor to Kearney as the Northern Irishman takes his first steps in full-time management but he insists the 40 year-old is more than capable of fending for himself.

The former Queen’s Park boss said: “Oran is very single-minded and knows exactly what he wants. That’s been the most impressive factor. He is very measured. From the very first conversation I had with him on the phone you could sense that.

“He knew how he wanted to go about his business, what type of player he wanted, and how he wanted the team to play.

“So he doesn’t need my help from that side of things but it’s there if he needs it. He’ll ask questions of me and other staff members but he knows his own mind.

“Anything we can do to help – on the training pitch, around the training facility, or away somewhere else – then we will do that to ensure the club stays in this division. The most important thing is he knows what he wants.”

Kearney succeeded Alan Stubbs in September after the transfer window had closed and has revealed he is eager to mould the squad to his own liking come January.

MacPherson has been racking up the miles trying to make that happen. He added: “Recruitment is one of the major parts of my role. I’ve been here there and everywhere – Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales – looking at players, and I don’t mind that. You go to watch players and when you’re there you’ll often get recommended another one somewhere else.

“We’ve got players in mind but it’s an ongoing process. The list gets bigger but we know what we need. The hard bit is finalising deals.”

Kearney is yet to savour his first win as St Mirren manager but ended a run of seven successive defeats by earning a point away to Dundee last time out. He will look to go one better when Hearts are the visitors to Paisley tomorrow.

“A win would lift the place as we’ve been encouraged by most of the performances,” added MacPherson. “It’s about putting points on the board and trying to close the gap on Hamilton and Motherwell.

“We have to be competitive going into December when we’ve got seven games and others have got eight or nine. So that will be a really tough month. You need points on the board to set you up for that.

“Training has been excellent. The tempo and intensity has been good. There is light at the end of the tunnel when you see them applying themselves like that. That’s what’s required at this level of football. It’s tough – physically and mentally – but if they apply themselves as they have done you would hope they get a break along the way.

“Some of the performances at home have been decent. And in the final 20 minutes of the last game away to Dundee they were excellent. That’s what’s required.”

Edited by smcc

I listened to Gus on Buddievision and despite the press trying to lead him in their questions, he was adamant that he is not there to do anything other than support the manager. He was even asked how we were injury wise and he said he didn’t know as it wasn’t his job. He did go on to provide a generic answer but it is clearly not his focus.

Give the guy a break FFS.

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

He'll have a few forum members for company in that garb. 

The Friday night meet starts in an hour. Bring your own colander and remember the secret handshake.

The secret is that you dont actually shake hands. You apparently waggle your left nipple at each other.

The board of this cult are trying to work out why they are getting very few applications from females,

Dont tell anyone I passed this on to you.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The Friday night meet starts in an hour. Bring your own colander and remember the secret handshake.

The secret is that you dont actually shake hands. You apparently waggle your left nipple at each other.

The board of this cult are trying to work out why they are getting very few applications from females,

Dont tell anyone I passed this on to you.

Feck off weirdo. :P

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Buddie Marvelous said:

Read what you said St.L? You’ve posted more than anyone else on this thread. It’s truly soul destroying reading through this thread. Why not simply put you view across,as you have, and move on? It’s just looking silly now.
My opinion for what it’s worth is, I don’t give a hoot who’s brought in by our Board. If it’s for the good of the club then great but outside the team I don’t care. COYS.

I have a feeling that this is a key appointment and have faith in the board.