Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Funnily enough, having felt so sick at losing the vote, I now find myself on the other side of the debate and would probably vote No next time. I have a friend who was a hardcore No. We like taking the piss out of each other but on that Friday he was pretty respectful and didn't press any of my buttons. He is now a hardcore Yes so it balances out.

Maybe one for another thread but I’d be interested to know the reasons for your change of heart. I know a few people who have flipped the other way, but the only people I know who have softened on their Yes stance, are people (I might even be one of them) who just simply had the stuffing knocked out of them and don’t have the stomach for going through it all again.

The main things I learned during indyref was how to utterly detest the mainstream media and that maybe (just maybe mind) this is a battle that we’ll never be allowed to win. 

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Maybe one for another thread but I’d be interested to know the reasons for your change of heart. I know a few people who have flipped the other way, but the only people I know who have softened on their Yes stance, are people (I might even be one of them) who just simply had the stuffing knocked out of them and don’t have the stomach for going through it all again.

The main things I learned during indyref was how to utterly detest the mainstream media and that maybe (just maybe mind) this is a battle that we’ll never be allowed to win. 

Could we make it as an Independent Country.  Yes.  Should we vote now to be independent - unsure.  I was sure in 1979. The last minute change to the voting rules saved the Union. The last 110 years has seen the UK parliament kick the issue down the road on many occasions.  

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Could we make it as an Independent Country.  Yes.  Should we vote now to be independent - unsure.  I was sure in 1979. The last minute change to the voting rules saved the Union. The last 110 years has seen the UK parliament kick the issue down the road on many occasions.  

I’d say Ricky....

Could we be a successful independent country? Yes.

Are we all guaranteed to be instantly better off as a result of independence? No.

Would I still vote for it anyway purely on the fundamental grounds of self determination? Absolutely!

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’d say Ricky....

Could we be a successful independent country? Yes.

Are we all guaranteed to be instantly better off as a result of independence? No.

Would I still vote for it anyway purely on the fundamental grounds of self determination? Absolutely!

I must admit i have turned. Simple reason i have lost faith in politicians . This Salmond carry on whether true or not was final straw. So its Green for me. Save the planet rather than power grabs. 

14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I must admit i have turned. Simple reason i have lost faith in politicians . This Salmond carry on whether true or not was final straw. So its Green for me. Save the planet rather than power grabs. 

10 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Er, but they also support independence!

:1eye

Beat me to it Wendy.

Also Doogie, I’m not sure how changing your view on independence changes what politicians are or aren’t?

57 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Oh dear... How shocking...

We appoint a technical director.

The manager meets him and speaks positively about the experience.

Having met with the management, he takes a training session to get to know the players.

How very dare he? FFS! That's surely not his role!
By getting to know the players he will surely be plotting to replace the manager! It couldn't possibly be that it might just help his role and help him assess the club as a whole! Oh no!
We'll be fine as long as he stays away from the players and training ground!

And as for his interview. How dare he not laugh and joke all the way through it and pretend to be someone else. Surely he knows that might have helped!

And in a five thousand word interview, he used the word "simplistic" in a positive way meaning it as a compliment.

Oh dear. Screw the 4,999 words... He's insulting and undermining the gaffer already!

I truly despair!

Fine interview. Genuine man speaking openly about the way forward... and some are still looking for negatives.

ALMOST A DECADE HAS PASSED.

IT IS A NEW ROLE.

THE CHAIRMAN WANTS IT.

THE MANAGER APPROVES IT.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T YOU JUST GET BEHIND IT AND STOP THE PETTY SNIPING?

Feel free to come back this time next year gloating and saying "told you so" if it doesn't work out...

But for the love of all things Saint Mirren, can we declare an amnesty on the negativity and sniping?

What good can it achieve?

^^^ on the Californian Merlot way too early this Friday evening. Me? Cracked open a tuly wonderful Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon.... give me two hours and I’ll feel the love for Darren Jackson. Well, maybe six hours and another couple of bottles.

Cause they will run the country. You have to be able to trust. Its all a crock really. Any way welcome Gus [emoji14]
Agreed... Wee Greenboy is Nick Clegg mkII!
Appealing to the masses and saying the right things... How did Cleggs free tuition turn out once sharing power?
Someone willing to change policies purely to get a share of power is NOT trustworthy in my eyes.

Gus is a great appointment, by the way! [emoji12]

11 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Not because they believe in it... Purely for self advancement!
Playing to the crowd.

I think if they were playing to the crowd they could have picked either side. The indy ref was almost split down the middle. A few % the other way and it would be "Scot's wha hae."  away.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hod the bus, you’re no getting off that easy. Politicians will still run the country whether we’re independent or not.

Of course they will. I didnt say i was happy with the status quo. Mind u . When a polar bear is doing the backstroke past the HOL maybe all this pathetic power grabs will be put into context. And yes having met and spoken at some length with Alex i am pretty disgusted with this whole affair.... its kind of put me off. Any way off topic. Discuss over a pint sometime

Of course they will. I didnt say i was happy with the status quo. Mind u . When a polar bear is doing the backstroke past the HOL maybe all this pathetic power grabs will be put into context. And yes having met and spoken at some length with Alex i am pretty disgusted with this whole affair.... its kind of put me off. Any way off topic. Discuss over a pint sometime
Would Sir like ice? [emoji15]

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Just one last thing then we can let people talk about Gus again.

I know you’re much smarter than the above comment.

That was one of the most annoying, lazy misconceptions during indyref.

SNP = Independence - Correct

Independence = SNP - Incorrect.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Again i know that but smell the coffee Bud..... we had 56 MPs and no stupid Brexit in 2015. We missed the boat and it has sailed  There is no passion now and it will not hapoen in our lifetimes. Its just my view mate. Scots hate Scots . Look at the threads on here. Unified eh never.... i hope our kids get a better set of options but i doubt it. Might need to be 4 pints . Ok back to Gus

27 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

The number of times I've had to explain this to folk. It's amazing the number of people who can't figure out that by voting independence you negate the need for the SNP.

Succinct and to the point. :headbang