V&A Museum Dundee

faraway saint

6 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I am lucky enough to have been invited to a 'private' walk-round in mid-October.

Reports and photos (if allowed) will be posted.

Aye, I wonder what the "rules" will be on taking pictures.

I attended the recent Rip It Up exhibition in Edinburgh and there was no pictures allowed, which was disappointing as I wanted to take a few for family members. 

PS I must add I was able to take pictures throughout the other parts of the museum. 

Edited by faraway saint

On 9/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, HSS said:

So what's actually in the V&A?

There was a programme on last night, "Opening of the V&A Dundee" that gives a great insight into the concept and building of this stunning building.

Inside is a mix of exhibits, one being a Charles Rennie Mackintosh exhibit that's not been seen for 50 years.

The intention is to encourage design in a city that's growing fast.

This'll give you more information......................... https://www.vam.ac.uk/dundee/season/2018/opening-weekend

Edited by faraway saint

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The transformation in Dundee over the past 20 odd years is remarkable, the city centre and water front in particular. That takes huge investment something that would be welcomed in Paisley. Could you trust the powers to be given what was knocked down in county square so that a river going through the centre of town could be concentrated up. 

The Piazza is actually fairing better than the Paisley Centre. 

3 minutes ago, Buffs said:

Going to Dundee next weekend. Planning a visit to the museum. I've only ever been to Dundee for football matches and never been to the town centre.

Always thought it was a shithole but I am prepared to be corrected.

When my kids were younger we used to holiday in St Andrews at the caravan my in-laws owned. We would occasionally go through to Dundee, and found it to be pretty much like any other city - good in parts, meh in others, and a shithole elsewhere. It certainly looks to have benefitted from major regeneration since then, however, and I look forward to visiting the new museum later in the year when it is a bit less busy than I imagine it will be at the moment.

I won't lie, though, naming new iconic developments like this and the big hospital in Govan after members of a family who have been little more than a parasitic influence on our country, and who represent an anachronistic system of privilege and patronage does stick in my craw<_<

57 minutes ago, Drew said:

When my kids were younger we used to holiday in St Andrews at the caravan my in-laws owned. We would occasionally go through to Dundee, and found it to be pretty much like any other city - good in parts, meh in others, and a shithole elsewhere. It certainly looks to have benefitted from major regeneration since then, however, and I look forward to visiting the new museum later in the year when it is a bit less busy than I imagine it will be at the moment.

I won't lie, though, naming new iconic developments like this and the big hospital in Govan after members of a family who have been little more than a parasitic influence on our country, and who represent an anachronistic system of privilege and patronage does stick in my craw<_<

My wife drove past today, still queuing, I'll keep you updated. 

As I have said previously I loved my time at Uni in Dundee and whenever I have been back I have enjoyed being there and also the major changes to the city centre that seemed unlikely in the mid 1980s. Looking to persuade the good lady to visit again hopefully before the end of the year and look forward to going to the V&A 

On 9/24/2018 at 10:28 AM, Buffs said:

Going to Dundee next weekend. Planning a visit to the museum. I've only ever been to Dundee for football matches and never been to the town centre.

Always thought it was a shithole but I am prepared to be corrected.

The problem for Dundee was the three J's and their slow demise and then a failed Scottish Enterprise adventure into trying to replace them with industries that really were short term tarts who were drawn to the attraction of cheap money and facilities before they moved on to the next cheap, government aided location.

All that plus when you arrived at the town by car you were immediately hit in the face by the ring-road and and if were going farther north you made every effort to miss going into the centre of Dundee and get out of it as quickly as possible.

Lastly the City / Regional Council had a terrible reputation for some really dodgy malpractices and many developers and builders who had a modicum of respectability (:whistle) purposefully kept well away from the place. :o

Big physical changes in the city over the last ten to fifteen years and coupled to these changes is a really vibrant University / further learning base. Dundee Uni has a great medical and also architectural school and also has developed a reputation in forensic anthropology which is world famous. That coupled with research in the medical field makes it one of the best locations in the UK for advancing medical investigation.

The problem for Dundee was the three J's and their slow demise and then a failed Scottish Enterprise adventure into trying to replace them with industries that really were short term tarts who were drawn to the attraction of cheap money and facilities before they moved on to the next cheap, government aided location.
All that plus when you arrived at the town by car you were immediately hit in the face by the ring-road and and if were going farther north you made every effort to miss going into the centre of Dundee and get out of it as quickly as possible.
Lastly the City / Regional Council had a terrible reputation for some really dodgy malpractices and many developers and builders who had a modicum of respectability (:whistle) purposefully kept well away from the place. [emoji33]
Big physical changes in the city over the last ten to fifteen years and coupled to these changes is a really vibrant University / further learning base. Dundee Uni has a great medical and also architectural school and also has developed a reputation in forensic anthropology which is world famous. That coupled with research in the medical field makes it one of the best locations in the UK for advancing medical investigation.
It's still a shitehole, though, or it was a year ago, anyway.

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM, salmonbuddie said:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM, The Original 59er said:
Lastly the City / Regional Council had a terrible reputation for some really dodgy malpractices and many developers and builders who had a modicum of respectability (:whistle) purposefully kept well away from the place. emoji33.png

It's still a shitehole, though, or it was a year ago, anyway.

I lived in Dundee and Broughty Ferry for several years in the late 60's. My two sons were born there. The people were warm and friendly. Glad to see investment come their way.

Well, I went to the much hyped V & A Museum this morning.

It certainly is a museum full of museumly like stuff you would normally find in a museum. Very disappointed.

The building itself is stunning inside and out, a fantastic design and build. It was the best part. Although it's free to get in, you pay extra for some displays and experiences which is fair enough. The shop, on the other hand, is a rip off. 75 quid for a tie! A feckin tie?.

In my opinion it falls into the same category as the Falkirk Wheel. If you are in the area go and see it but dont make a special trip to it.20180929_103805.jpeg20180929_112628.jpeg

3 hours ago, Buffs said:

Well, I went to the much hyped V & A Museum this morning.

It certainly is a museum full of museumly like stuff you would normally find in a museum. Very disappointed.

The building itself is stunning inside and out, a fantastic design and build. It was the best part. Although it's free to get in, you pay extra for some displays and experiences which is fair enough. The shop, on the other hand, is a rip off. 75 quid for a tie! A feckin tie?.

In my opinion it falls into the same category as the Falkirk Wheel. If you are in the area go and see it but dont make a special trip to it.20180929_103805.jpeg20180929_112628.jpeg

Thanks for the advice.  I have passed the building a few times.  

• 3 weeks later...

ok I've now been and done the walk about thing, and yes you can take photos!

P1010651_stitch_1280x553.thumb.jpg.94b9dcb3a7aa02fc85db378b6aafcd02.jpg

My opinion, and it is just an opinion, is that I really welcome it and as being seen, the people are coming. This is already leading to spin offs for the hotels close by and also other museumy places - the McManus has seen a tremendous upsurge in visitors (they also have a great 'Bash Street Kids' exhibition on but I think it is just about to finish) They also have some great portraits which are as good as many in the Scottish Portrait Gallery.

I like this one:

P1010612_719x960.thumb.JPG.f2341c30d6738d6e7028954783bea99f.JPG

I digress however................................ the V&A is obviously a museum, but as in Londonium it is random. None of this start at 5 century BC and work your way round to the present day.

As an example in the Scottish Design section there is reference to the Paisley Pattern and the influence they brought to the whole design of shawls and materials. However there is also a book on American Ornithology and it tells the story of a Paisley cotton worker who fell out with the system and emigrated to the US and became the "Father of American Ornitholgy" .................... I never knew that! 

However just next to that is the robe worn in a recent Star Wars film, but it too has references to the Paisley Pattern:

P1010700_640x960.thumb.JPG.bab63605098fab213a34f269641c7a49.JPG

There are a lot of interesting exhibits , e.g. electronic gaming, the pushing of the envelope in the medical world and many other little curios that might take you by surprise.

The exhibition of Ocean Liners is also random and harks back to a golden (and privileged)  era when a few could swank about as they crossed the Atlantic. It is really good and colourful. Whether you approve of whether the toffs deserved it or not, it was a period of fantastic design. See a few examples below:

P1010727_1132x960.thumb.JPG.b4e856703ca658d124a696e1ba15aa5e.JPGP1010728_580x960.thumb.JPG.5fd131fe9871a82fad09e6a1bbabbfe2.JPGP1010724_1280x731.thumb.JPG.e8d191bf595e82dc7c6b924b0e742954.JPGP1010723_1280x907.thumb.JPG.7415c1ef87b975d5f1b04e3915efb268.JPGP1010729_1280x845.thumb.JPG.faa4905aa4d59a4405cccac05f04a023.JPG

It won't tick everyone's box, but from what I see, Dundee is the winner.

Oh yes the building is also spectacular:

P1010714_stitch_922x960.thumb.jpg.47500970f430ed4158ee5da25fe85619.jpg

P1010705_1280x942.JPG

Edited by The Original 59er

^^^^^^^^ Good post, I'll not quote it as it would take up another page.

Firstly, yes, this will be the catalyst for many of the hotels and restaurants/pubs in, and around, the centre of Dundee to really cash in but I hope they maintain the quality required and don't become lazy. Edinburgh, IMO, continues to regenerate and the tourists keep coming, as much as it's expensive in certain areas. 

As you say, it won't tick everyone's box, unlikely any museum would do. The building, quite rightly, is a major part of the attraction. Watching it slowly progress over the years, it wasn't always apparent that he finished article would be so appealing to the eye.

Having only seen picture of the inside, that also looks stunning. 

Dundee, and surrounding areas are the winners.

On a more personal note Arbroath, IMO, continues to fail to look to grow with no real hotels in the town, limiting itself to guest houses, as good as some are, it'll never grow as it could.

It could easily be a very good alternative to staying in Dundee for tourists, with plenty of historic interest and a picturesque harbour area.

Unfortunately people need somewhere to stay, there is a real opportunity to piggy back of the V&A but seems to be ignored. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

As you say, it won't tick everyone's box, unlikely any museum would do. The building, quite rightly, is a major part of the attraction. Watching it slowly progress over the years, it wasn't always apparent that he finished article would be so appealing to the eye.

I met the PM and also someone else who was involved.

When the architect came along with the original design the engineers had a look at it and said, "sorry that can't be built"..................... certainly not as you have drawn it.

So they set about making it work and created a full concrete shell and then hung all the concrete planks that you see as ribbing onto stainless steel posts. each 'plank' weighs 3 tons!..................... so you won't want to be underneath that when it falls off!!!

• 2 weeks later...

First visit this morning.................

The building, both externally and internally, is stunning.

Arrived just before 11:00am so it was reasonably busy but still comfortable enough to wander around the various exhibits. 

Like all museums, some parts were more interesting to m than others.

Spent about 90 minutes looking around, it was becoming increasingly busy so abandoned the visit, although I probably had enough by that point.

Overall ok, the building probably wins the battle for my most interesting item.