Football Pundtwit Sutton

3 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I can't understand why people are getting so upset over what he's saying. He's a football pundit, he's there to rile people. 

His views from what ive heard last night are completely wrong right enough but he's entitled to make it. What he says makes no difference to my life.

Just relax and enjoy the fact that the saints are back!

Rightly or wrongly he is part of the "entertainment" package.  But.. didn't hear him.  I solved that by being at the match.  Revolutionary I know. 

3 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Him and Charlie Nicholas are IMO the worst two , Sutton just wants to be controversial and Nicholas just talks the biggest amount of clap trap I've heard from any pundit , so much senseless guff from the one guy.

You hit the nail on the head. Both are there to provoke. Sky and BT are looking for a reaction and the publicity it brings. They couldn't give a fkuc if people are reacting positively or negatively. They only care that your watching to see the clusterfkuc. Bottom line? Your watching.

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Rightly or wrongly he is part of the "entertainment" package.  But.. didn't hear him.  I solved that by being at the match.  Revolutionary I know. 

A football manager is also part of the "entertainment " package and is accountable - why not TV imbeciles like Sutton?

You can still hear what he said here (I hope) - http://sport.bt.com/sutton-changing-room-snakes-turned-on-stubbs-91364295548428

If you check out NewsNow you can also note the reaction from Eckersley and others.

4 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I can't understand why people are getting so upset over what he's saying. He's a football pundit, he's there to rile people. 

His views from what ive heard last night are completely wrong right enough but he's entitled to make it. What he says makes no difference to my life.

Just relax and enjoy the fact that the saints are back!

Maybe if you had been one of the Saints players maligned on national TV you would not be so relaxed about it.

Not many watch BT Sport because of Sutton's enlightened contributions and certainly not myself.

The bottom line is Sutton should be brought to account and disciplined by his employers.

It is one thing to make controversial comments as a pundit - it is another to slander people and a football club - especially when it is noted that Sutton is a former colleague of the former manager of St Mirren and as such he cannot be considered to be impartial.

He is certainly not entitled to slander people on live BT Sport.

Edited by northstbuddie

Just now, northstbuddie said:

Maybe if you had been one of the Saints players maligned on national TV you would not be so relaxed about it.

Not many watch BT Sport because of Sutton's enlightened contributions and certainly not myself.

The bottom line is Sutton should be brought to account and disciplined by his employers.

It is one thing to make controversial comments as a pundit - it is another to slander people and a football club - especially when it is noted that Sutton is a former colleague of the former manager of St Mirren and as such he cannot be considered to be impartial.

You just made that up.

You seem to be getting AWFULLY upset by this.

What, exactly, is slanderous and you do know there is no such thing in Scotland? 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

From that clip, Sutton hasn't said anything that people on this very forum haven't already said about Eckersley and McGinn.

I really don't know why anyone would seriously care about this.

Believe it or not, BT Sport has a slightly wider audience than BAWA.

Perhaps you are quite used to being called a snake on national TV.

I also care about the reputation of St Mirren - the club I have supported all my life.

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You just made that up.

You seem to be getting AWFULLY upset by this.

What, exactly, is slanderous and you do know there is no such thing in Scotland? 

No I didn't.

Yes I care about the reputation of St Mirren and its players.

Defamation is the equivalent of slander in civil law in Scotland but this broadcast went out throughout the rest of the UK where 'slander' is still applicable.

2 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Believe it or not, BT Sport has a slightly wider audience than BAWA.

Perhaps you are quite used to being called a snake on national TV.

I also care about the reputation of St Mirren - the club I have supported all my life.

We all care about the reputation of our club. You seem to be implying that if we disagree with you that we somehow don't care about the club.  Why does the size of audience matter? What a strange couple of things to say. :blink:

He didn't name check anyone as being a snake?

Honestly I have no idea why you are getting so emotional about this.

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

No I didn't.

Yes I care about the reputation of St Mirren and its players.

Defamation is the equivalent of slander in civil law in Scotland but this broadcast went out throughout the rest of the UK where 'slander' is still applicable.

I doubt you have proof so you just made it up.

As I said, you're getting really upset about this.

If you think it's slander, or defamation, then take it to court, I'll come along with popcorn for that. 

Chill out FFS! 

9 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I quite enjoy Sutton. I don't take him seriously, he's a complete wind up merchant and that's how he should be taken.

I agree. I always like listening to people who are outspoken whether I agree with them or not. Everyone else is so f**king dreary, dull and compliant.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We all care about the reputation of our club. You seem to be implying that if we disagree with you that we somehow don't care about the club.  Why does the size of audience matter? What a strange couple of things to say. :blink:

He didn't name check anyone as being a snake?

Honestly I have no idea why you are getting so emotional about this.

I know from reading your posts elsewhere on here that it is a waste of time arguing with you or FS.

However, I will respond to you one final time by saying:-

• I merely stated that this is an issue I care about and did not try to infer anything about other Saints fans.
  • The size of the audience is hardly irrelevant.
  • Our players were all tarred by the same brush.
  • Perhaps you are more thick-skinned than myself.

6 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I know from reading your posts elsewhere on here that it is a waste of time arguing with you or FS.

However, I will respond to you one final time by saying:-

• I merely stated that this is an issue I care about and did not try to infer anything about other Saints fans.
  • The size of the audience is hardly irrelevant.
  • Our players were all tarred by the same brush.
  • Perhaps you are more thick-skinned than myself.

So because I dont automatically agree with you, you chuck a petty insult and leave the conversation. Brilliant! :lol:

22 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I quite enjoy Sutton. I don't take him seriously, he's a complete wind up merchant and that's how he should be taken.

I have to agree with this. Any time I have seen or heard him he has just loved being provocative .

Got to say that I would prefer our players NOT to be commenting adversely on any aspect of the club,  past or present. 

Biting the hand that feeds you comes to mind. 

8 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I have to agree with this. Any time I have seen or heard him he has just loved being provocative .

Got to say that I would prefer our players NOT to be commenting adversely on any aspect of the club,  past or present. 

Biting the hand that feeds you comes to mind. 

Yes i wish GS and TF would have a word with all playing Staff at the club and tell them to calm it on social media.

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

He is certainly not entitled to slander people on live BT Sport.

His pal has told him his side of the story and therefore he is projecting that view when asked his opinion on the matter. Why is he not allowed to do that? Where does it say he has to be impartial?

He's not standing up in a court of law. He is expressing his opinion on a tv show, which its his job to do. 

Everyone knows his allegiances with Stubbs and Celtic etc so I'm sure anyone watching will take his views with a pinch of salt. 

Edited by LargsBud

Utter cringe worthy behaviour from both sides.

Someone in the club should have a word with Eckersley to stop responding. It's a club matter and a social media policy should ensure that he isn't adding anything to it. It's negative publicity, if he was that upset with what's been said it should have been one statement not an ongoing argument.

Sutton is doing his job, and it's reaping the rewards, probably the most St Mirren related twitter traffic he'll get and it's not even to do with something that happened on the pitch.

There's two sides to the story and I'm pretty sure the truth is right in the middle, both sides should have known and acted better, but it's done, let it go.

How far can Sutton go with his ‘shock jock’ comments, but it’s OK because he’s just being edgy, and is doing it to be the ‘controversial one’? Is being a pundit some sort of immunity card? I genuinely don’t think he was doing it for effect. I believe he was nasty, and his belief is that his big Sellik team-mate pal had been sacked by the big bad Buddies, with our players undermining him and getting him sacked. So he let rip.

Frankly, I see it the other way, with Stubbs and Jackson being the cause of any problems, but while I think both of them were shite, I don’t think it would be right for me to phone up a football talk-in and brand either of them snakes or poison.

It’s OK for Sutton though? Cos’ he’s on the telly as a mouthpiece? 

Edited by pozbaird

Look. I would much rather the TV companies didn't employ airheads who simply say things to be controversial but they do. They use Sutton's thirst for fame and notability through being constantly confrontational and controversial to draw people in. They know some, in fact many, will pay to tune in and see what "the idiot" will come out with next. IF he has offended individuals or clubs to the extent of being slanderous then that is for those parties to take forward.

Me? I'll choose to not watch/listen or will do and mock his utterings. He is in desperate need of validation so deliberately sets out to offend.

I'm surprised many on here don't recognise this as we have one in our midst who does it constantly on this very forum.

Step up and take a bow. You know who you are prof. 

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Look. I would much rather the TV companies didn't employ airheads who simply say things to be controversial but they do. They use Sutton's thirst for fame and notability through being constantly confrontational and controversial to draw people in. They know some, in fact many, will pay to tune in and see what "the idiot" will come out with next. IF he has offended individuals or clubs to the extent of being slanderous then that is for those parties to take forward.

Me? I'll choose to not watch/listen or will do and mock his utterings. He is in desperate need of validation so deliberately sets out to offend.

I'm surprised many on here don't recognise this as we have one in our midst who does it constantly on this very forum.

Step up and take a bow. You know who you are prof. 

I tune in to watch the game, I never tune in to listen to any pundit surrounding it. The reason I caught Sutton’s comments were that with this being Oran Kearney’s first game, I wanted to see any interviews with him, or any talk about the club. If this had been a Stubbs-in-charge game, I would have been preparing a cuppa’ and would only have sat down for kick off. My idea of a nice evening’s viewing is watching the fitba’ or the NFL...but the thought of listening to Sutton, or indeed Gary Neville, Ian Wright, or Thommo and Stewart gibbering on Sportscene? Not for me. I always record Sportscene or MoTD so that I can simply watch the action, and whizz through the talking heads, talking pish.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I tune in to watch the game, I never tune in to listen to any pundit surrounding it. The reason I caught Sutton’s comments were that with this being Oran Kearney’s first game, I wanted to see any interviews with him, or any talk about the club. If this had been a Stubbs-in-charge game, I would have been preparing a cuppa’ and would only have sat down for kick off. My idea of a nice evening’s viewing is watching the fitba’ or the NFL...but the thought of listening to Sutton, or indeed Gary Neville, Ian Wright, or Thommo and Stewart gibbering on Sportscene? Not for me. I always record Sportscene or MoTD so that I can simply watch the action, and whizz through the talking heads, talking pish.

Sensible lad. (Don't let that go to your head 'cause I'm bloody ancient), That is your right but if you choose to listen then do so in the knowledge you will hear utter crap from them. I personally think Sportscene and MoTD would be a far better programmes if they stopped spending 75% of the time reviewing things with 3 pundits and, in sportscene's case, 20% of it on the @rsecheeks. 

More footie, less fcukwits AFAIC!

Edited by stlucifer