Football Pundtwit Sutton

If the players want this uproar to die down, the answer is to start getting big results over the next two months. It will be impossible to criticise the board's decision if we are half way up the table and causing every other team serious problems.
Putting in a good performance on Friday is the very stick that is being used to beat them in one of the poorly written articles I read.

I hang my head in shame and admit it. I was friends with Davie Hay. There I've said it. I'll now leave quietly. PS. Davy Wilson ex Rangers also used to call me to offer me tickets when Saints played at Ibrox. As the song says "those days are gone now" I'm off.
For what it's worth I don't dislike Davie Hay for having anything to do with Celtic.

I dislike him for his Alan Stubbs/Tommy Craig approach to managing St Mirren.

I don't care if players or managers are ex Old firm. Some of my favourite players are ex OF. I care about if they will do a job for our club and give it the respect it deserves.

Admittedly I don't remember much about Hays time but I feel Stubbs and Craig both thought as they had experience at bigger clubs Saints would be a doddle to manage and therefore did not apply the right amount of effort.

35 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I hang my head in shame and admit it. I was friends with Davie Hay. There I've said it. I'll now leave quietly. PS. Davy Wilson ex Rangers also used to call me to offer me tickets when Saints played at Ibrox. As the song says "those days are gone now" I'm off.

Sussed it.  They were both plying for your support, but you stuck to your guns and remained a St.Mirren supporter.  :thumbsup

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Smart people ignore flame baiters. Eckersley certainly by his comments, Langfield mibbaes should be privately censored by the club for seemingly commenting on tbe club's behalf. Do you not get this is what flame baiters like Sutton actually want..? Some dumb footballer to drop themselves in it on twitter, and fan the flames of publicity.

what Eckersley and Langfield have done is draw themselves into it, they havent done the club any favours. But if you can tell me what the positives are for the club, from them getting drawn in with a social media fight with Sutton are I'm all ears.

i agree with you re your last line, he is smart, he's ignoring it! But it seems like its touched a nerve with Eckersley..? What is it they say abouth those who protesth too much?

Take your own advice and be quiet then  :P

5 minutes ago, pod said:

Sussed it.  They were both plying for your support, but you stuck to your guns and remained a St.Mirren supporter.  :thumbsup

You've got it Pod.  They each saw myself and the 5 lads I took to St Mirren games as potential recruits. 

But..  we resisted.  Actually both liked the idea that we were, as they said,  the genuine article as fans who attended St Mirren games home and away. 

I turned down tickets for European Games and if I did go then I paid at the gate.  That way I kept my integrity intact. 

54 minutes ago, st jock said:

If all the media commentators are right, and Alan Stubbs was unfairly binned, then we will no doubt see him employed very quickly at a similar level to ourselves. Time will tell. Go on Dundee, you know you want to!

50 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If the gobshites are right and we bagged Stubbs purely on the results of the four leagues games he was in charge for, then why didn’t we bag Jack Ross after the first eight or nine games of his reign?

One would expected a employment tribunal or has he not been there long enough for one. 

Edited by pod

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

The Billy Sloan of the football world this guy....

To save anyone dirtying themselves... 9c3e89224a71029d1c4151d4b5c3cc12.jpg&key=5882cb940a89063301a054b0ae20b36bb26eba9fc862985a6a8a55ed7d265e88

Excellent- that’s a boot in the bawz back at clowns like Sutton.

Journalism is what it is, most people don’t have an issue with controversial articles, but what’s been said against Saints was actually disrespectful & out of order.

The coverage in the papers have pretty much only spoke about, the Celtic chance ( header off the line ) , the sending off & how they ‘dominated’ the game !

I thought Saints were tremendous in the first half & organised and calm in the second half.

“St Mirren frustrated Celtic” , “St Mirren didn’t try win the game” etc etc ? How about, they didn’t see Celtic in the first half as we were in command playing our game going forward & controlling the game so they couldn’t play ?

Delighted to see that article, lets hope we carry on on to the next game with the same energy.

Free speech is something which should be defended vigorously but only when it does not get into the realms of prejudiced,  defamatory, ill-informed and deliberately misleading opinions delivered on a public platform (like BT Sport) without the opportunity of right of reply.

The problem that St Mirren have in this situation is that they probably don't want to air their dirty linen in public in due respect to their former manager.

Chris Sutton (not for the first time) overstepped the mark in making cheap inflammatory remarks without making clear that Stubbs is a former team-mate (and possibly friend) of his at Celtic and should not therefore have been allowed by BT to air his biased viewpoint without the club being allowed to defend itself. However that probably wouldn't  have been plausible because of the confidential nature of the issue. 

And unless we have been ill-informed ourselves of what was actually going on behind the scenes, we can only form our own conclusions as to whether or not Stubbs' sacking was justified.

On the face of it, it would appear that "he lost the dressing room" because of his man-management style and manner, and this combined with his under-achieving signings and apparent under-whelming allegiance to a provincial club like St Mirren, led to his early demise.

This is all just my opinion but I am (or anyone officially connected with the club) unlikely to be afforded a platform by BT to defend the good name of St Mirren or for the club to receive a public apology and retraction of Sutton's defamatory rants.

Just as the sacking of Stubbs was apparently  justified, so would the dismissal of Sutton by BT for unprofessional conduct and abuse of his privileged position .

Edited by northstbuddie

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

Excellent- that’s a boot in the bawz back at clowns like Sutton.

Journalism is what it is, most people don’t have an issue with controversial articles, but what’s been said against Saints was actually disrespectful & out of order.

The coverage in the papers have pretty much only spoke about, the Celtic chance ( header off the line ) , the sending off & how they ‘dominated’ the game !

I thought Saints were tremendous in the first half & organised and calm in the second half.

“St Mirren frustrated Celtic” , “St Mirren didn’t try win the game” etc etc ? How about, they didn’t see Celtic in the first half as we were in command playing our game going forward & controlling the game so they couldn’t play ?

Delighted to see that article, lets hope we carry on on to the next game with the same energy.

As I said elsewhere although Celtic had more possession our keeper didn't make a serious save whereas Gordon made three in the first half. Sportscene highlights were a better reflection for once 

41 minutes ago, Danny said:

As I said elsewhere although Celtic had more possession our keeper didn't make a serious save whereas Gordon made three in the first half. Sportscene highlights were a better reflection for once 

and Thommo sticking up for us regarding sending off.