Electric Cars

Drew

Guest TPAFKATS
You can lease the battery for at a year a time (it isn't any more expensive to do it that way). When the car is transferred, the new owner takes responsibility for the lease.
I would have thought that owning the battery would have been more of an issue in the scenario you describe.
Not sure, just going on info gleaned from a salesperson last week. I wasn't looking at buying an electric, so assume it wasn't bull - just chat while test driving a dirty polluting petrol [emoji87]

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, Drew said:
Aye, as pod says, I understand that the electrics run off a standard battery.

Heating fan and air con use must affect the mileage range though, same as in petrol and diesel?

Aye, probably. The range is certainly reduced in the winter by all accounts.

Guest TPAFKATS
Aye, probably. The range is certainly reduced in the winter by all accounts.
MPG drops on a diesel in the cold winter as well. Not that much of a problem when a tank lasts about 600 miles, if your hybrid itchypussy goes from 40 miles to 30 the commute might get a bit difficult though [emoji3]

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

MPG drops on a diesel in the cold winter as well. Not that much of a problem when a tank lasts about 600 miles, if your hybrid itchypussy goes from 40 miles to 30 the commute might get a bit difficult though emoji3.png

Ach well, everyone needs a bit of drama in their lives:ph34r:

Ok, been thinking about this and a few questions/concerns................

How does this charging work if you stay in a block of flats/tenements? My Dad stays in Andrew St, 9 flats in each "close",  how would these people charge up their car?

How long does it take to charge up from almost empty? If I'm on a journey and need to recharge how long do I need to sit about waiting on the car to be ready to continue?

It  could lead to some interesting decisions................turn on the lights or stop a mile before I'm home? 

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, been thinking about this and a few questions/concerns................

How does this charging work if you stay in a block of flats/tenements? My Dad stays in Andrew St, 9 flats in each "close",  how would these people charge up their car?

How long does it take to charge up from almost empty? If I'm on a journey and need to recharge how long do I need to sit about waiting on the car to be ready to continue?

It  could lead to some interesting decisions................turn on the lights or stop a mile before I'm home? 

There will be a requirement for many more on-street charging points. As things stand, unless you have a driveway or garage, you're unlikely to be eligible for any of the grants available to subsidise installation of a charging point. This is clearly a major issue that will need to be addressed. In saying that, as my earlier tweet suggested, some folk seem to get by without a home charging point.

Charging points/stations have varying power levels and therefore speed of charge. For a pretty standard battery - say 22kw as we will have - a slower charger (3.2kw) will charge a fully depleted battery in about six hours. A rapid charger, however, would recharge the battery in about 30 - 40 minutes. It seems most people settle for recharging to about 80% when put and about. We're having a 7.5kw charger installed at home, and it will fully charge the battery in about 3 hours.

The car lights will run from the standard 12v battery in the car.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

There will be a requirement for many more on-street charging points. As things stand, unless you have a driveway or garage, you're unlikely to be eligible for any of the grants available to subsidise installation of a charging point. This is clearly a major issue that will need to be addressed. In saying that, as my earlier tweet suggested, some folk seem to get by without a home charging point.

Charging points/stations have varying power levels and therefore speed of charge. For a pretty standard battery - say 22kw as we will have - a slower charger (3.2kw) will charge a fully depleted battery in about six hours. A rapid charger, however, would recharge the battery in about 30 - 40 minutes. It seems most people settle for recharging to about 80% when put and about. We're having a 7.5kw charger installed at home, and it will fully charge the battery in about 3 hours.

It is a major issue and while I read your point about someone who thinks they can "get by" this clearly won't be suitable for the majority of people. 

So at "service stations" there will have to be facilities for people to wait as 30-40 minutes is a shitload of time to hang about and will take a hell of a lot of persuading that this is acceptable, especially in a world where people want everything instantly. There's also going to be a hell of a lot of charging points to cope with the amount of cars needing charged or their could be a considerably longer wait than 30-40 minutes.

Overall I'm in favour but the progress seems to be very slow to address the everyday issues that will need to be solved before the public will be persuaded this is the way to go. 

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It is a major issue and while I read your point about someone who thinks they can "get by" this clearly won't be suitable for the majority of people. 

So at "service stations" there will have to be facilities for people to wait as 30-40 minutes is a shitload of time to hang about and will take a hell of a lot of persuading that this is acceptable, especially in a world where people want everything instantly. There's also going to be a hell of a lot of charging points to cope with the amount of cars needing charged or their could be a considerably longer wait than 30-40 minutes.

Overall I'm in favour but the progress seems to be very slow to address the everyday issues that will need to be solved before the public will be persuaded this is the way to go. 

I don't disagree with any of that. The technology is key but supporting it with the required infrastructure is critical. Long way to go.

Guest TPAFKATS

Tesla invested billions in charging infrastructure for service stations and other large use areas like malls. Obviously not many tesla out there though.
Porsche looked at doing same, but with generic charging points for all VW group and also approached renault/Nissan who share technology and other manufacturers with the idea being that all manufacturers would be charging at any station.
Tesla refused to cooperate wanting to keep their own systems similar to apple with phone charging.
I'm sure they have good reasons but it kinda sums things up for me at the moment.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Does your wife give her cars a pet name? Need to call this one ‘Anton’... has only just arrived, not sure what to make of it, could be quite good, but is maybe a bit slow and liable to run out of energy before the finish.

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Does your wife give her cars a pet name? Need to call this one ‘Anton’... has only just arrived, not sure what to make of it, could be quite good, but is maybe a bit slow and liable to run out of energy before the finish.

She hates giving cars names, but I might suggest that one.

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

She hates giving cars names, but I might suggest that one.

I think it sounds great. Would love a wee hurl in it sometime. Very interested in your ownership experience, and fair play for making the leap when electric cars are still a way away from being ‘the norm’. It’s coming though, sooner rather than later. I’m on-board when the range on a charge is greatly increased, prices are affordable, I have road tested one to gauge driver enjoyment and involvement, and if the thing can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds. Shitebag that I am. :D

Edited by pozbaird

Electric cars are the future all manufactures are investing huge sums of money for future models. They are cleaner , more reliable with fewer moving parts. We looked at an electric UP but even with the government top up you were looking at near 20 grand for an UP. The batteries will eventually become smaller , lighter and cheaper. It's taken me to move to an Island to realise how stupid I have been throwing money at cars every three years for decades. Then I go to the mainland travel in crawling slow traffic too often on roads that can't coupe with the amount of cars on the road. Don't get me wrong I understand the freedom of owning a car. Keep your report coming Drew will be an interesting read. 

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Electric cars are the future all manufactures are investing huge sums of money for future models. They are cleaner , more reliable with fewer moving parts. We looked at an electric UP but even with the government top up you were looking at near 20 grand for an UP. The batteries will eventually become smaller , lighter and cheaper. It's taken me to move to an Island to realise how stupid I have been throwing money at cars every three years for decades. Then I go to the mainland travel in crawling slow traffic too often on roads that can't coupe with the amount of cars on the road. Don't get me wrong I understand the freedom of owning a car. Keep your report coming Drew will be an interesting read. 

Electric cars are cleaner but because of the emissions during battery production and the fuel used to produce the electricity , a fuel efficient petrol car may produce less emissions in its lifetime . With petrol and diesel cars due to have their sales halted by 2040 , a viable alternative does need to be found and certainly EV tech has came a long way in recent years , maybe there is still hope for hydrogen cars especially since biofuel seems to have been sidelined. .

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/20/hydrogen-cars-hugo-spowers-future

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Echoing some earlier comments, but like loads of folk in this area, I live in a block of flats, so when will we see a system for home-charging.

Also, I don't drive a lot, but when I do, it tends to be long distances, often in remote areas. How realistic is it to expect charging stations in the middle of nowhere.

A few folk have commented that e-vehicles are coming, sooner rather than later, but we still seem to be so far away from catering for huge swathes of the population, that I can't see the reported timescales for ceasing production of petrol engines being met.

If people have concerns about lack of range of these cars , the answer is very simple . Either buy a 250 mile extension cable or simply install a 2.5ltr diesel generator in the boot of your car to recharge the batteries . f**kin simple , I should be the minister for transport & the environment me 🤪

6 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

If people have concerns about lack of range of these cars , the answer is very simple . Either buy a 250 mile extension cable or simply install a 2.5ltr diesel generator in the boot of your car to recharge the batteries . f**kin simple , I should be the minister for transport & the environment me

Some people think you're stupid..............................:rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, freddy said:

Echoing some earlier comments, but like loads of folk in this area, I live in a block of flats, so when will we see a system for home-charging.

Also, I don't drive a lot, but when I do, it tends to be long distances, often in remote areas. How realistic is it to expect charging stations in the middle of nowhere.

A few folk have commented that e-vehicles are coming, sooner rather than later, but we still seem to be so far away from catering for huge swathes of the population, that I can't see the reported timescales for ceasing production of petrol engines being met.

I think you will see a lot more hybrids coming onto the roads before we arrive at the replacement for the internal combustion engine , whether that be an EV or a hydrogen car. With sales of the fossil fuel cars stopping in 2040 , the likelyhood is they will still be on the roads for a wee while. . l think we need to see improvents made to public transport too , those McG*lls buses always seem to be breaking down. .

On 9/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, TPAFKATS said:
On 9/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, Drew said:
Aye, as pod says, I understand that the electrics run off a standard battery.

Heating fan and air con use must affect the mileage range though, same as in petrol and diesel?

I don't think the heating fan is a big issue on an IC engine but certainly the a/c is with losses of around 17BHP on an average sized car. .

Guest TPAFKATS
I don't think the heating fan is a big issue on an IC engine but certainly the a/c is with losses of around 17BHP on an average sized car. .
Not sure exact figures but is shows up as affecting MPG on my diesel and it gets worse during winter.