Electric Cars

Drew

Dual carriageway - sparse, motorway a good hour. My 2.5td i800 doesn't do great going about west cumbria at all on fuel, much better on longer trips (when we can do it again).Only have it as 2 kids use wheelchairs as having EDS. 

Taken to using eldest lads car as his driving lessons cancelled before going back to uni. We got him a proper inbetweeners car for xmas, a bright yellow ignis.

Got used to being called a w****r at work, so might as well go whole hog and be a real proper bus w****r🤣🤣🤣🤣

• 1 month later...

still getting 80 miles on a 80% charge (less when using the heater) on my Leaf which has 460000 on the clock, so we use that for all journeys up to 30 miles and my petrol Honda returns 50 mpg and more on a long run.  I'm happy with that.

Fuel costs are down from £30 pw for petrol to £20 per month and a tenner a month for leccy.  I got a good deal on the car, it cost 10.5K but i got a 6K green advertising sponsorship from my employer and a 4k interest free loan so it's easily paying for itself.  I'll definitely be renewing the deal when it expires next March.

16 hours ago, Tommy said:

Finally managed to get a long run with my hybrid and manged to get 63 mpg on a 196 mile run costing me £17 for petrol.

My last check round town was giving me 50mpg.

Certainly beat my 30 to 40 mpg with my last car. 

Considering a hydrid for next car, what are you driving yourself.

2 hours ago, pod said:

Very nice, have been considering Mazda CX30, :unsure: but still doing a bit of research. 

I thought about a Mazda 6 but ended up staying with Toyota.

7 Toyota over 15 years with no problem with any of them, helped me make up my mind.

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports (Estate)

Had a Toyota Auris Tourer ( rebranded as the Corolla now I think ) as a company car and it was fine. The CVT was strange to begin with but only if you suddenly floored it. Thinking of changing present car for a RAV4 Hybrid at end of month as it’s easier to get in and out of due to mobility problem.

29 minutes ago, Langbank said:

Had a Toyota Auris Tourer ( rebranded as the Corolla now I think ) as a company car and it was fine. The CVT was strange to begin with but only if you suddenly floored it. Thinking of changing present car for a RAV4 Hybrid at end of month as it’s easier to get in and out of due to mobility problem.

Never had a Auris but from all the reports that i have read, the Corolla is a vastly improved car from the Auris. 

Wife liked the RAV4 but i wasn't so keen on it.

I have dodgy knees and the wife has health issues, but both of us have no problem getting in and out of the Corolla.

Never had a Auris but from all the reports that i have read, the Corolla is a vastly improved car from the Auris. 
Wife liked the RAV4 but i wasn't so keen on it.
I have dodgy knees and the wife has health issues, but both of us have no problem getting in and out of the Corolla.

Yeah agreed the Corolla appears to be big improvement on the Auris. I thought about the Corolla as all reviews are good however its the higher seating that pushed me to the RAV4, less bending with spine prob.

We'll be looking at another car, not new, waste of money, next year.

At this point in time electric isn't an option, too many issues still exist for us to consider it as an option.

Hybrids are worth a thought, we'll look into it more closer to the time.

PS It's been good to hear people real life experiences, cheers. 👍

Edited by faraway saint

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, Drew said:

I seldom post in the General Nonsense board these days, but thought I would offer this one up for anyone who might be interested.

Last weekend, we ordered a fully electric car - primarily for my wife's use.

Making the various arrangements for a home charger, insurance, and swipe card for public chargers, etc. has been an interesting experience.

I won't bore on about it in event that no-one is especially interested, but happy to share elements of the experience as we go along (picking the car up on Friday) for anyone who is considering the option of an EV or is just curious.

Apologies if there is a thread already running.

I just remembered that this thread was running. Possibly of more interest now with so many people opting for full electric or hybrid.

I was up in Perth for a couple of days last week and spoke to a couple who were having a hard time trying to get a charging point in the local car parks, apparently Tesla drivers use all the free council ones as there Tesla ones cost money. They said that they had waited two hours for a point to become available as some people let them charge but don’t come back to get them when fully charged, typical arsehole behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I was up in Perth for a couple of days last week and spoke to a couple who were having a hard time trying to get a charging point in the local car parks, apparently Tesla drivers use all the free council ones as there Tesla ones cost money. They said that they had waited two hours for a point to become available as some people let them charge but don’t come back to get them when fully charged, typical arsehole behaviour. 

People will be people, the key point is there's not enough infrastructure to support these battery powered cars, and the charging time isn't close to convenient when you can pop into a garage and fill up in 5 minutes. 

13 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I’m told that the largest electric car charging point system in Scotland is at the Park and Ride next to the Motorway.

Said on another thread that my younger son bought a second hand electric car to try one out. He likes it and has fitted charging points to his houses in Stirling and Elie. He has ordered a Mustang Mach E. Not cheap but it has a much bigger range so could do the run from either Fife or Stirling to all of our games and back except Dingwall.

And there's the issue, for me to travel to Paisley for a game with an all electric car I would need to seriously consider staying over or buying something ridiculously expensive to get the range. Hybrid for the moment until the powers that be stop being led by the electric industry and start looking seriously at hydrogen fuel cells.

13 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

And there's the issue, for me to travel to Paisley for a game with an all electric car I would need to seriously consider staying over or buying something ridiculously expensive to get the range. Hybrid for the moment until the powers that be stop being led by the electric industry and start looking seriously at hydrogen fuel cells.

I splashed out, nothing but the best for me..............................

image.png.b4ac4c76f9cf269392d0fdc9e8fc30ac.png

12 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

My Company (Bosch) are heavily involved in the development of both Electric and Hydrogen systems.  I participated in a few online web sessions a couple of months ago and I have to say the Hydrogen option was by far the most interesting one and the one which got the most positive feedback.

10 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

My Company (Bosch) are heavily involved in the development of both Electric and Hydrogen systems.  I participated in a few online web sessions a couple of months ago and I have to say the Hydrogen option was by far the most interesting one and the one which got the most positive feedback.

Thanks for sharing CG. What are the current problems with Hydrogen systems? If any. I do less than 5,000 miles a year now. Down from 18,000 or so a year from a few years ago. The cost of fuel for the car is as much per litre as it is for anyone else but the cost of stepping my merc up to all electric doesn’t make financial sense. Climate sense yes.

Edited by Rascal