Saint Mirren V Hibernian 29.9.18

St.Ricky

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Slow start then?

i guess with so many ongoing changes of line up, formation and tactics its going to require a lot of patience to see if Oran can make us competitive for the whole game. We will rely a lot upon the experience Of Ferdinand, Hodson, Edwards, Jackson etc to be more clever in games. That was the howling flaw in the last mangers thinking.

Hibs are a good side. We were barely hanging on in the first half but came on to a game. I felt Hodson struggled a wee bit but kept at it. Jack Baird was excellent as was Ferdinand. Jackson looks like a player. This is a cracking league to be in. Really good standard.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Couldnt make the game, so unable to comment on our performance. The stats for the game show how poor we must have been first half, and over the game Hibs gave away about four times as many fouls as us! Was their mentality simply that they wanted it more?

I made the point earlier in the thread around the goal. We weren’t and aren’t tough enough or street wise, and are being bullied. Teams know this.

also, too often after a tackle, our players are too busy looking at the ref or assistant ref looking for the free kick and play breaks. Young Cammy was caught a few times ‘not playing til the whistle’.

19 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I made the point earlier in the thread around the goal. We weren’t and aren’t tough enough or street wise, and are being bullied. Teams know this.

also, too often after a tackle, our players are too busy looking at the ref or assistant ref looking for the free kick and play breaks. Young Cammy was caught a few times ‘not playing til the whistle’.

I go along with this.  Hibs started quickly when we might have expected otherwise after their extra time midweek game.  As others have said they also commit a lot of professional fouls.  I knew they had committed lots more fouls but looking at the stats it was 20 against 5 and the ref missed a few.  Second half was different.  We pushed into them and they tried to hit us on the break.  A learning process. 

30 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

We were like this last season too against physical, direct teams. But we had a great midfield that could overrun most of the league. This time round every team looks more physical than us, and able to dominate to hold winning positions. Teams making professional fouls, time wasting frustrating tactics etc are breaking up play to suit their strengths.

we need to be able to match that, especially when we arent in a game, to give ourselves the space and time to get on the ball. We sorely miss the space and time Morgan and Reilly won for us.

23 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We were like this last season too against physical, direct teams. But we had a great midfield that could overrun most of the league. This time round every team looks more physical than us, and able to dominate to hold winning positions. Teams making professional fouls, time wasting frustrating tactics etc are breaking up play to suit their strengths.

we need to be able to match that, especially when we arent in a game, to give ourselves the space and time to get on the ball. We sorely miss the space and time Morgan and Reilly won for us.

Yeah, really miss Morgan as an outlet and his ability to draw players in creating space for others. 

Mullen does an ok job of winning free kicks high up the pitch, but I’m concerned that Cammy Smith is having little impact of games past the 60 min mark. 

26 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Yeah, really miss Morgan as an outlet and his ability to draw players in creating space for others. 

Mullen does an ok job of winning free kicks high up the pitch, but I’m concerned that Cammy Smith is having little impact of games past the 60 min mark. 

Said it before, like Mullen as a player for commitment etc but he isnt a striker. He's a winger or wide mid player. He cant make life hell for centre backs like Reilly did. Mullen wins most ball when he chases it out wide using his speed. Interesting to see if Oran has similar thoughts and uses him on the wing?

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Noticed this again last week. 3 or 4 times when Hamilton committed a foul, our players were looking to take a quick one, but a Hamilton player had grabbed the ball as soon as the ref blew.

They might have scored more than 3 if they had left it.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

This clip clearly illustrates how Hibs built the goal by, I think Kambari, holds two of our players leaving space for Gray behind.  Wonderful corner kick by Mallan allows Gray tonod home unmarked. 

I don't see much in that - our players need to be a lot stronger. Also it's a free header because we had no-one on the back post.

No complaints from me other than our defending!

Edited by Bud the Baker

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't see much in that - our players need to be a lot stronger. Also it's a free header because we had no-one on the back post.

No complaints from me except other than our defending!

Nor from me Bud.  Something to learn from in both attack and defence. One opposition player effectively takes two of our defenders out of the game.  Both of our players are experienced.  Should have known better comes to mind.  

Guys I was at the game and was gobsmacked with the clapping at the end we got beat by a hibs team that were there for the taking in the second half and we won't get many of those opportunities in this league. I am also confused about the macpherson and Jamieson praise as macpherson was terrible and should have been taken off at half time and Jamieson got a run out but I'm surprised after watching this boy at the under 20 he has made it this far with his weight being his only attribute. Are we believing these two boys are going to save us? Also heard mullin out with broken knuckles and hayden and some other stubbs signings have been told to train with twenties from now on. Would you leave if you had a three year contract?

27 minutes ago, jonjo said:

Guys I was at the game and was gobsmacked with the clapping at the end we got beat by a hibs team that were there for the taking in the second half and we won't get many of those opportunities in this league. I am also confused about the macpherson and Jamieson praise as macpherson was terrible and should have been taken off at half time and Jamieson got a run out but I'm surprised after watching this boy at the under 20 he has made it this far with his weight being his only attribute. Are we believing these two boys are going to save us? Also heard mullin out with broken knuckles and hayden and some other stubbs signings have been told to train with twenties from now on. Would you leave if you had a three year contract?

Utter horse shit of a post to put it politely.

Jamieson gave us directness, pressing of the back line and most importantly 100% effort which is all we ask for. There is a player in there and i for one am looking forward to seeing him play more for us. Good luck to the young lad.

Cammy MacPherson (19 yr old lad btw - with under 20 career starts) wasn't terrible. He had a bit of a ropey first half but second half he was one of our better players and contributed to one of our closest attempts on goal.

Also, this nonsense about players having to train with the 20's and other rumours about AS signings is pathetic. Two of his signings started and two were on the bench on Saturday.  The previous week three AS signings started with three being on the bench - two were used. If they were training with the 20's they wouldn't be anywhere near the first team at all and we'd fill the bench with youngsters.

Edited by Spam_Valley

I’ve seen Jamieson play in the reserves this season also and I think his call up has been merited .
He made the Hibs defenders sit up and take notice when he came on, no one is saying he ( & McPherson) are some sort of saviours but surely the fact we are still able to bring youngsters through can only be positive. FWIW, I thought McPherson had a very poor first half also, but to be fair , not many got pass marks. Fair play to the lad for a very good second and some real quality deliveries.
As for some of Stubbs signings training with the lads ? Perhaps that is true, perhaps it isn’t but the fact is , the one with the three year contract was sitting on the bench on Saturday, stripped and ready to play if needed.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:
On 9/30/2018 at 10:39 AM, Ayrshire Saints said:
Never struck me as big at all, wee aggressive type was how I saw him. Odd that some thought he looked big !

Big in stature rather than height. He looks strong and pacey.

Desperate Dan build with shorter legs.  (Some of us who are old enough will recall Desperate Dan)