David Cotterill

Defender Anton Ferdinand was the first signing of Kearney's tenure and former Wales international winger David Cotterill has been on trial with St Mirren this week.

However, the manager says the chances of signing the 30-year-old former Birmingham City winger who has left Indian Super League club ATK, are "looking more negative than positive".

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Defender Anton Ferdinand was the first signing of Kearney's tenure and former Wales international winger David Cotterill has been on trial with St Mirren this week.

However, the manager says the chances of signing the 30-year-old former Birmingham City winger who has left Indian Super League club ATK, are "looking more negative than positive".

The last player that came in from Indian didnie fair to well either.

22 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Blimey! Poor lad. Like he says probably one of many. Fair play to him for opening up.

I don’t know where he is with us at the moment, but I’d like to think this admission wouldn’t stop us signing him provided he has shown up well on the pitch.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Blimey! Poor lad. Like he says probably one of many. Fair play to him for opening up.

I don’t know where he is with us at the moment, but I’d like to think this admission wouldn’t stop us signing him provided he has shown up well on the pitch.

It wuld be a different story if he was already an employee but we are not a charity. If his illness was stable that would be one thing but it sounds like he is still suffering wild swings. There is no way we could take a risk like that IMO. If we want to treat mental illness as a normal illness you have to compare like with like and ask if we would sign an injury prone player who was working through his injury with no clear indication of how long it would take to recover, if at all. We did it with Harry Davis but its a rare occurrence.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It wuld be a different story if he was already an employee but we are not a charity. If his illness was stable that would be one thing but it sounds like he is still suffering wild swings. There is no way we could take a risk like that IMO. If we want to treat mental illness as a normal illness you have to compare like with like and ask if we would sign an injury prone player who was working through his injury with no clear indication of how long it would take to recover, if at all. We did it with Harry Davis but its a rare occurrence.

Whilst I do take your point, I was more coming at it from the point of view that he has said playing is actually his release.

I’m not sure if you have any experience with mental illness, but in my (albeit limited) experience, it is not something you get “cured” of. Not this type of illness anyway. It’s very much something you learn to live with. In opening up like this it sounds like David Cotterill is well on the way to doing just that and I’d hate to see him discriminated against on that basis.

Sounds like it’s going to be a bit of a moot point as far as Saints are concerned anyway. 

12 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Whilst I do take your point, I was more coming at it from the point of view that he has said playing is actually his release.

I’m not sure if you have any experience with mental illness, but in my (albeit limited) experience, it is not something you get “cured” of. Not this type of illness anyway. It’s very much something you learn to live with. In opening up like this it sounds like David Cotterill is well on the way to doing just that and I’d hate to see him discriminated against on that basis.

Sounds like it’s going to be a bit of a moot point as far as Saints are concerned anyway. 

Like any other illness it can come and go for no obvious reason at all. One minute you are fine and the next a dark grey fog has descended.

Talking CAN help but it's important to be in the right place mentally in order to make that effective and to talk to the right people as well. It's a bastard of a thing for that reason alone. Just talking can actually make it significantly worse if your head is in the wrong place. People mean well when they recommend talking about it but a resolution needs to come from the individual themselves. Like I said it's a bastard of a thing. I think it boils down to living a lifestyle which is not in tune with what you really want to be doing. The hopelessness comes from gaining no meaning from what you are doing and / or having no control over your life. I have no proof for this though.

Edited by oaksoft

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well done to cotterill for opening up. Why would we not sign someone with mental illness. This illness comes in many forms and with help can be managed. Many players have mentally health  issues due to stress and many other things 1000,s of fans giving a hard time if form has dipped. Players deal with pressures in different ways such as gambling.   

Edited by fan4ever
Just

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

Well done to cotterill for opening up. Why would we not sign someone with mental illness. This illness comes in many forms and with help can be managed. Many players have mentally health  issues due to stress and many other things 1000,s of fans giving a hard time if form has dipped. Players deal with pressures in different ways such as gambling.   

I get the feeling that his fitness levels were the source of any problems. He would not be the only player suffering from difficulties in mental health. I do wish him well.