Our Golden Era 1977-1987

St.Ricky

7 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

And your point is caller? :P Where you actually at the game today caller? 80's, when only an excuse was funny 

8 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

And your point is caller? :P Where you actually at the game today caller? 80's, when only an excuse was funny 

If you were there during this period then you know what the point is. A generation of supporters enjoyed a great period far above the level of the past 18 months. The board clearly aspire to us getting back to these levels. Can we...I hope and believe that it is possible but difficult. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try but many obstacles to overcome. 

11 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

If ever a thread should be moved to "Absolute Nonsense", (It should be added to the thread choices), then this is definitely one.

Obviously we dissagree.  That's OK.  This era,  preceded by the arrival at the club of Alex Ferguson saw my kids and many others in the area follow Saints through primary and s condary school as they still do today.   So many highlights during that period.  The North Bank in full voice. Great days.  Well worth remembering and in seeking to emulate these days in the coming years. Outshines the very enjoyable past 18 months but doesn't detract from it. 

3 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

As a younger fan who wasn't alive back then, how high does the Anglo-Scottish Cup rank in terms of achievement? Was it akin to that of winning the Scottish Challenge Cup, or was it more up there with the Scottish Cup successes?

Far bigger tournament than the Challenge Cup, but not quite as prestigious as the Scottish Cup, although some big English clubs 

did take part in that competition..

10 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

Far bigger tournament than the Challenge Cup, but not quite as prestigious as the Scottish Cup, although some big English clubs 

did take part in that competition..

Correct Scrappy. And we were the only Scottish Winners. Those were the days! They might come around again.

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

What a period this was. First Division Champions, Cup Winners in Scotland and the Anglo Scottish Cup, Cup Semi Finals and European Competitions and a 3rd Place finish in the top league. A golden Era. 

... and so many new managers too! Fergie - sacked. Clunie - sacked. McFarlane - resigned. Miller- poached. Smith - sacked.

28 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

As a younger fan who wasn't alive back then, how high does the Anglo-Scottish Cup rank in terms of achievement? Was it akin to that of winning the Scottish Challenge Cup, or was it more up there with the Scottish Cup successes?

We won it in 1980 and were losing finalists in 78 , we had a %100 record against English teams from  their top league , Celtic played in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1978 and were knocked out by third division Burnley , Rangers played in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1980 and were knocked out by third division Chesterfield .

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We won it in 1980 and were losing finalists in 78 , we had a %100 record against English teams from  their top league , Celtic played in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1978 and were knocked out by third division Burnley , Rangers played in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1980 and were knocked out by third division Chesterfield .

image001.jpg

What a bloody team. Would make you greet thinking about it.

Pretty cold night, but a fantastic night. I was 11.

Convinced the crowd was bigger than announced.

I had to get my neighbour to open my door for me as my wee hands were too cold to turn the key.Only lived in Caledonia Street then, 2 minutes walk, happy days.

The team wouldn’t struggle in our league now, we had some great players back then.

8 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Pretty cold night, but a fantastic night. I was 11.

Convinced the crowd was bigger than announced.

I had to get my neighbour to open my door for me as my wee hands were too cold to turn the key.Only lived in Caledonia Street then, 2 minutes walk, happy days.

The team wouldn’t struggle in our league now, we had some great players back then.

Yup. It wasn’t a great night weather wise but it was in every other sense. I was 13 going on 14.

Crowds were always massively understated in those days.

The 1980 cup replay against Celtic was quoted as something ridiculous like 27000. FFS there was about 3000 locked outside that night. That game was after the East terracing had been redeveloped which would’ve reduced the capacity somewhat, but at that time Love Street must’ve still had a capacity of at least about 35000

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

It does beg the question (which I’ve never though about before), but what was the qualification rationale for the Anglo Scottish Cup?

In Scotland it was often the Premier League teams who had just missed out on the European slots, but even then I’m sure we played Stirling Albion one year in the Scottish rounds. England was also bizarre. You could have anything from (old) first division teams to third division teams. Was it just anybody that fancied it?

When we beat Bolton weren’t they in the top league at the time and doing reasonably well?

Fantastic time for the team and it coincides with when I first went,my dad took me down from Thurso for my first game in 1977,I saw every heartbreak semi and (3 in a row and a league cup) great win in 87 but as a fan who only manages maybe 6 or 7 games a year now my hat goes off to all that weren’t lucky enough to see these games but still stick with the cause especially the lads that had to endure the 90s,I salute you all the old and the new,and us all after a slow start this year keep the faith

30 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yup. It wasn’t a great night weather wise but it was in every other sense. I was 13 going on 14.

Crowds were always massively understated in those days.

The 1980 cup replay against Celtic was quoted as something ridiculous like 27000. FFS there was about 3000 locked outside that night. That game was after the East terracing had been redeveloped which would’ve reduced the capacity somewhat, but at that time Love Street must’ve still had a capacity of at least about 35000

Yep. I didn't take my kids as it was likely to be crowded.  I recall the crush to get in as the whole body of fans involved struggled to reach a turnstile.